IGNORED

Inevitable, but terrible / Disappointing transfer window (Merged)

Sturny

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How can anyone appraise City’s transfer window when very few of us have seen the new signings play at their previous clubs?

Its part of LJ and his coaches roles to do the necessary due diligence on any new signings and are therefore far better qualified than us fans to assess their abilities. Bear in mind that we fans have seen just one game with less than half on the new signings taking part and yet some feel qualified to appraise the window - based on what? 

Its utterly ridiculous.......................:disapointed2se:

What happened at the prev transfer window then and with.........Engvall, and many more; for every up there are more downs and they all cost money. Even our goalscoring hope Fammy only notched 13 last season and is somewhat injury prone. We You go into this season with your hopes based on well hope and not much else.

We see the likes of Boro, Forest pushing for the top with the relegated teams from the prem and you and I know they will be the ones who make it.

Us... bottom third to mid table if we are lucky and quite happy to then repeat the next and the next season.

3 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Phew ! Good that we are not a selling club and wow, so pleased we have built on the money we got and bought better ! Crap, deals done late and after most of season tickets sold,. 

When you sell the spine of your team , the goals of the team, the character in the team all in these 3 players, then what’s next ?  Also lots not forget we also sold 2 strikers, one that never got a chance and one that popped up with the odd goal often when he played. 

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Different style of play, finished article

Arguably

Arguably 

Almost definitely 

If your argument is that there may be one player already here that’s better then that’s good business to me.

Arguably better, neither proven.

Reid had one good season ever, same can be said for one Diony.

31 minutes ago, Sturny said:

He did but he replaced a very high goal scoring striker who's now in the prem. Therefore he is inferior as a replacement

Weimann played in the premier league for five seasons and he’s only two years older than Bobby who’s only had one good season...how many premier league games has Bobby played? And what makes you call Bobby a ‘very high goal scorer’? One season....

11 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

What happened at the prev transfer window then and with.........Engvall, and many more; for every up there are more downs and they all cost money. Even our goalscoring hope Fammy only notched 13 last season and is somewhat injury prone. We You go into this season with your hopes based on well hope and not much else.

We see the likes of Boro, Forest pushing for the top with the relegated teams from the prem and you and I know they will be the ones who make it.

Us... bottom third to mid table if we are lucky and quite happy to then repeat next season.

Engvall was the only one that didn’t really work out and tbh I’m not sure if he was ever our player or rather on loan. Add Dionsy to that list.

To call Fammy ‘injury prone’ is truly laughable. He was crocked at Portman Rd  and at first the injury was considered minor but examination showed it was a far more serious knee injury which took months to recover.

His goals per game ratio was actually excellent and had he stayed injury free would have challenged Reid for the top scorer award.

I find it hard to understand so much negativity about City’s transfer dealings when we’ve only seen one game with over half of the new players missing........

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How can anyone appraise City’s transfer window when very few of us have seen the new signings play at their previous clubs?

Its part of LJ and his coaches roles to do the necessary due diligence on any new signings and are therefore far better qualified than us fans to assess their abilities. Bear in mind that we fans have seen just one game with less than half on the new signings taking part and yet some feel qualified to appraise the window - based on what? 

Its utterly ridiculous.......................:disapointed2se:

And I completely respect you’re opinion something you seem to not be able to do with many of the posts you direct to people who have a different opinion to yourself.

you do not speak for this fan base or the forum and imo we are weaker. I do not think Webster is a better replacement to flint and I am not convinced weimann is better than Reid...both players we have sold are on an upward trajectory while certainly weimannn has been on the slide since the season he did well for villa and scored 2 at anfield amongst others. As I have stated I will give every new signing my full support but I think we are weaker, whether it is one game or not, the championship is one of the most watched leagues in the world so I and many others have seen a few of the signings we have made, to suggest others haven’t is naive,

just be a bit more accepting of others opinions is all I say as many respect yours.

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Weimann played in the premier league for five seasons and he’s only two years older than Bobby who’s only had one good season...

Yeh he's got good experience but how come he's playing in the champ and now Bobby's in Prem? That's because Bobby is better than Weimann, therefore he is inferior imo

1 hour ago, ColeCiderRed said:

Who is the fella doing the MoBot?

Ummm, let me remind you. He's the guy you were probably creaming your pants about last season saying he was going to be a top player for you in the Premier League. Well guess what. He will be playing in the Premier League where you lot will be bottom half at best in the Championship

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Yeh he's got good experience but how come he's playing in the champ and now Bobby's in Prem? That's because Bobby is better than Weinmann, therefore he is inferior imo

Good job we havent signed anyone called Weinmann then.

That was a lucky escape!

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that Reid and Bryan were in the last year of their contracts and could have left for nothing next year. In the circumstances we have done remarkably well to get £16m for the pair, especially as plenty were confidently predicting we would get much less.

Flint has been wanting to get away for a year so again we maximised the fee given that no Premier League club wanted him, despite claims in some quarters that he was the best centre half in the Championship.

Meanwhile Djuric wanted to go back to Italy, told the Italian media as much then claimed they had made it up. Given his injury record while he was here I'm surprised we got as much as we did for him, around double the original bid.

56 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

I do agree we are weaker...if we are mid table I would be delighted so no pressure from me...will give the new signings more than a chance but not sure to be honest time will tell but think there will be more downs than ups.

anyhow we won’t be in any trouble but think it will just be a meh mediocre season which I am starting to think is fine with Bristol sport

I have no problem with the opinions of others as long as they’re well thought out and well balanced and for anyone to say we are weaker without having seen the new signings play several games is an unbalanced view and therefore I challenge it.

43 minutes ago, TBW said:

Remember when Swansea went and lost all their best players? Trundle to us etc and then surpassed us? How about Southampton selling every year? Tottenham selling Carrick, Berbatov, Ferdinand, Bale?...

It happens, just hope we are under the right leadership to manage the changes and take us as far as those and others have managed. 

As everyone hs touched on before, there are very few non-selling clubs in the world. We're not big enough to demand players stay.

Spot on....West Ham developed and sold Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Glen Johnson, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand, Jermain Defoe etc....yet they’ve remained a competitive club....no doom and gloom, we’ve received megabucks for just 4 players....and those players were very much a part of us plummeting from 2nd to 11th last season, I liked ‘em all but footballers move on, it’s just how it goes....

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

DkLCW9yUcAAJfTR.jpg:largeLarge

Flint-Boro.jpg

If I showed you these pictures at the beginning of this year what would've you said?

I'm aware holding onto these players was going to be tricky but we've made inferior replacements and I can't help but feel this has been one of the most disappointing windows in a long time :(  

Players come and go BUT THIS STILL SUCKS

The three windows were the magic ones. We were told so

22 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Yeh he's got good experience but how come he's playing in the champ and now Bobby's in Prem? That's because Bobby is better than Weimann, therefore he is inferior imo

I don’t think Bobby has proved he is better than Weimann yet....Bobby has had just one good season in his career and he’s 25....he could easily spend much of this season on the bench....Weimann has played more games in the premier league than he has in the championship....yet you think Bobby is instantly better than him...

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t think Bobby has proved he is better than Weimann yet....Bobby has had just one good season in his career and he’s 25....he could easily spend much of this season on the bench....

I see what you're saying but at the end of the day if it was down to me I'd keep Bobby Reid over Weimann when it comes to current player ability 

1 hour ago, Red_Wizard said:

Put it this way. We have lost 3 players who were here before LJ. 3 core players we have depended on since our return to the Championship. Most that LJ has brought in have proven not to be as trusted. 

Name them.............

17 minutes ago, Premier Blue said:

Ummm, let me remind you. He's the guy you were probably creaming your pants about last season saying he was going to be a top player for you in the Premier League. Well guess what. He will be playing in the Premier League where you lot will be bottom half at best in the Championship

And you’re so happy about it you’ve decided to come and gloat. Oh well, guess you are preparing for relegation already judging by your buys this summer (Bellamy basically admitted as much last night) and so you’ve got to get your kicks somewhere haven’t you Premier Bell? Enjoy. 

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

I actually think our back 4 looks stronger than it did last year. Admittedly don't know much about Dasilva but sounds like he's exciting going forward.

With Weimann and Watkins we have added Championship experience and some extra promise in Eisa and Adelakun. What with Eliasson's early form he seems like a new signing too. 

I went in to the summer fully expecting Flint, Bryan and Reid to go and am genuinely pleased for the latter two. The club should be proud to have developed two premiership quality Bristolians. To get 20m plus is just great stuff seeing as 2 only had a year left on their contracts.

For me a very successful window and I go into this season quietly optimistic and full of excitement.

Weimann has actually played more games in the premier league than the championship so he brings great experience....

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Not sure if its too early to judge yet. SL is certainly expecting better than 11th and as said as much!

Agreed, how can sl sanction 25 million of sales, reinvest much less than that, then expect to be able to improve?? Weve been asset stripped. apart from one or two, we have no real star quality, and this season is going to be a struggle. It seems to me it was inevitable those 3 would be sold, and i dont have a problem with that, but now we need and i expect to recruit premier league loans to supplement the squad. Not impressed.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Thought we got 4 for flint raising to 7 win add ons,

point still stands **** wits on here are making out we’ve spent **** all when it’s probably the most we’ve spent in a transfer window full stop

Against certainly the most ever brought in!

Whatever way you cut it .

7 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Ultimately LJ knew this would happen and decided to stay with us, he would have had offers.  So we stick together and build again. 

I'll grant you that LJ did warn us that this might be a difficult summer of departures (as I recall) - but I very much doubt he'd have had a better offer than the free pass he's been given here by SL! 

Archived