IGNORED

We can sum this season up in one word

Londoner

16 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Bristol for the degree and London Met for the masters and doctorate

Wow so impressive!

You're online trying to weigh in on some sort of cock measuring competition you've made up.. Embarrassing and pathetic.

If I was to guess at your past -  I would of thought you'd spent 7 years of your life spelling your name out in shit on the walls at Broadmoor.

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Wow so impressive!

You're online trying to weigh in on some sort of cock measuring competition you've made up.. Embarrassing and pathetic.

If I was to guess at your past -  I would of thought you'd spent 7 years of your life spelling your name out in shit of the walls at Broadmoor.

Thank you.

A season where we comfortably stay in the championship? Sounds ok...it’s the fifth best division (not league) in the world in my opinion....what hurt about last season was being in 2nd place as 2018 raced towards us and then capitulating to throw it all away....but having got over that by numbing the pain with top notch apple juice over the summer, I quite like the championship, what an incredible division....every season around 15 teams could put a genuine and credible case forward as to why they may achieve promotion....that is incredible in the world of football.....and we are smack bang in the middle of that glorious confusion! Bring it on!

4 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I'm not a mere mortal

No you appear to be a person with very high opinion of yourself, based on lots of qualifications not related to the topic under discussion.

Maybe it would be best if you kept your opinions to yourself, or simply act with a bit of deference and humility and then maybe you''d get a bit of respect for your opinions.

Your choice 

I have a masters degree in my field of work.

Does that mean I can predict the future? 

No. Seriously. I'm going to get on every Acca and Lottery ticket I can and buy City a few playing staff,  while paying 3rd parties to generously 'sponsor' us to boost our turnover and stay well within ffp.

Oh. And stocks.

We need to still find out what we amount to. We'll only figure that as we realise the sum of our parts. It's not all about names.

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Probably a boring midtable season. I feel the same but not the same negative outlook. We are now basically an established championship club. We need to get better but we have the scope to do so. Everything about the club is in such a good place. Yes we lost some good players but we have bought well and a few of those have a chance to be better than what we had.

We had to take a slight step back this season. Happens to almost every club in this division. Next summer stars will leave like Pearson at Preston, Watkins at Brentford and Forestieri at SW. We just have to keep adding to the squad. Next summer we will see fringe players replaced by youth. Moore for Hegeler, Vyner for Wright, and Semenyo for Taylor. We will free up more wages and still have a bit to spend from this summer. We may be average this year but personally think we have a higher ceiling in the seasons coming. 

Yeah Pearson will only be at PNE for one more season, unless we go up. Believe Stoke were willing to go huge towards the end of the window (£12m+) but we didn't need or want to let go at any price.

Also rejected another big bid this window for Robinson, and lost Cunningham.

Interesting what you say on youth stepping up. Obviously you do have to recruit a bit when selling players, but Alex Neil said recently he feels that we can't afford to do that properly, so signing young players who are then ready to be good enough and step up when other players leave is a more affordable and good way to work. Not that we want to sell and not that we don't want to sign anyone to replace them but sometimes a player leaves and the right alternative is already in your squad, who you've already been developing nicely.

8 hours ago, Londoner said:

Unfortunately I've had the distinct displeasure of having a conversation with you in person before. Obviously you had no idea who I was.

I'm not going to say what I thought of you because I will end up being very harsh and take no pleasure in ripping someone of your ilk to shreds.

With all due respect, having met you in person and seeing how you are in reality it's very hard for me to take anything you say seriously.

Hmm.. I don't really mind your trolly threads, you're good at getting a reaction I'll give you that.

I think that it's crosses the line a bit to say things like this. I hope he doesn't mind me saying this (and I'll happily remove this post if he wants) but regular readers will know that James has been pretty forthcoming about his personal problems and anxiety issues. 

You seem well aware of it and have purposely said something here that could potentially be quite anxiety inducing for him.

I think that goes too far, it's just a football forum after all and we mostly support the same club. Wouldn't hurt to be a bit nicer.

6 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Yeah Pearson will only be at PNE for one more season, unless we go up. Believe Stoke were willing to go huge towards the end of the window (£12m+) but we didn't need or want to let go at any price.

Also rejected another big bid this window for Robinson, and lost Cunningham.

Interesting what you say on youth stepping up. Obviously you do have to recruit a bit when selling players, but Alex Neil said recently he feels that we can't afford to do that properly, so signing young players who are then ready to be good enough and step up when other players leave is a more affordable and good way to work. Not that we want to sell and not that we don't want to sign anyone to replace them but sometimes a player leaves and the right alternative is already in your squad, who you've already been developing nicely.

Nobody wants to sell but it is reality. The longer a player is around the shorter his contract is. Unless the player is unfashionably loyal clubs like us will have to sell to protect our financial interests. It can be frustrating. 

The youth side is just smart business. Academies cost but don’t count towards FFP so as long as an owner doesn’t mind funding it, it is a smart way to make money or have ready made replacements. We have one on loan in the champ and will have many in L1 and 2. These will all be lesser wages than senior pros and a better way to fill the squad. Clubs the size of BCFC or Preston(not small but won’t be top 6 in wages) need to be creative to compete. 

11 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Probably a boring midtable season. I feel the same but not the same negative outlook. We are now basically an established championship club. We need to get better but we have the scope to do so. Everything about the club is in such a good place. Yes we lost some good players but we have bought well and a few of those have a chance to be better than what we had.

We had to take a slight step back this season. Happens to almost every club in this division. Next summer stars will leave like Pearson at Preston, Watkins at Brentford and Forestieri at SW. We just have to keep adding to the squad. Next summer we will see fringe players replaced by youth. Moore for Hegeler, Vyner for Wright, and Semenyo for Taylor. We will free up more wages and still have a bit to spend from this summer. We may be average this year but personally think we have a higher ceiling in the seasons coming. 

Steady on - we almost got relegated the season before last

8 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Steady on - we almost got relegated the season before last

Yep and we have gotten better each season. Always a danger in this league just not sure where the impatience comes from. We are miles better than we were 5 years ago on the pitch and even further ahead off it. The club has grown quite rapidly these last few seasons. Think that should be kept in mind when we talk about ambitions. There is no magic formula for promotion especially for middling sized clubs like us. 

18 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep and we have gotten better each season. Always a danger in this league just not sure where the impatience comes from. We are miles better than we were 5 years ago on the pitch and even further ahead off it. The club has grown quite rapidly these last few seasons. Think that should be kept in mind when we talk about ambitions. There is no magic formula for promotion especially for middling sized clubs like us. 

The impatience come from the passage of time...since we last failed to capitalise on a great position in January - back in 2008 - Hull, Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Brighton and Huddersfield have all managed to get promoted before us, which I'd suggest would have seemed pretty implausible back then. History has repeated itself, we're unlikely to be in as strong a position at the end of 2018 as we were at the beginning, and that is frustrating.

11 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Bullshit!! What does consolidation actually mean in footballing terms? What happens to the 3-4 years of consolidation if we slip through the net into league 1? The long game in football doesn't exist, we had our chance last year and failed.. We need a manager who can get us promoted on a limited budget? It can be done....

We all know you fantasise about sucking Neil Warnock off, but the sooner you understand, thankfully, that he will never be at this club, you may start to be able to move on. 

Please list the potential candidates of recent years, who are proven to deliver Premier league promotion on a small budget...?

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The impatience will always be there with some, it’s the world we live in. “I want it and I want it now”.

Decade after decade watching occasional highs and more frequent lows and disappointment has not dimmed my longing to see my side compete with the big boys. However the reality is that we are living at a time where the club is steadily rising and we would all love it to be faster.

Last season we got the taste for the chance of dining at the top table even though we clearly weren’t ready. Yes we could have made it but we ‘messed up’ because we couldn’t compete at the required level for long enough. More depth and consistency was required and maybe we are a little closer to that now.

Personally I feel that rather than blowing a once in a generation opportunity we dodged a bullet, as we are still building the foundation blocks of a promotion team that could give us sustainability at the next level. This season I would like us to do what Preston achieved last year, that is to maintain steady improvement year on year.

I know the argument is that promotion means we could buy a team of Premier League players rather than grow our own (and sell a few) but I would rather be a Burnley than a Hull. Top 10 and a shot at the top 6 would do me and push on next season for a real top 6 challenge.

20 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

The impatience will always be there with some, it’s the world we live in. “I want it and I want it now”.

Decade after decade watching occasional highs and more frequent lows and disappointment has not dimmed my longing to see my side compete with the big boys. However the reality is that we are living at a time where the club is steadily rising and we would all love it to be faster.

Last season we got the taste for the chance of dining at the top table even though we clearly weren’t ready. Yes we could have made it but we ‘messed up’ because we couldn’t compete at the required level for long enough. More depth and consistency was required and maybe we are a little closer to that now.

Personally I feel that rather than blowing a once in a generation opportunity we dodged a bullet, as we are still building the foundation blocks of a promotion team that could give us sustainability at the next level. This season I would like us to do what Preston achieved last year, that is to maintain steady improvement year on year.

I know the argument is that promotion means we could buy a team of Premier League players rather than grow our own (and sell a few) but I would rather be a Burnley than a Hull. Top 10 and a shot at the top 6 would do me and push on next season for a real top 6 challenge.

A few thoughts.

First, those of us us who saw us drop out of the top flight almost 40 years ago can't be accused of following Bristol City with a 'I want it and I want it now' attitude. There have been false dawns aplenty along the road. 

Second, when we took Fulham apart at their place last season no one watching would have suggested that they were more ready to 'dine at the top table' than us. Their owner and management just went about their business better. I'm afraid that, however hard it is to take, we blew a great opportunity. 

Where I agree with you is that I'd rather we were a Burnley than a Hull...I and others have been celebrating Burnley's model for many years. But when you look at the breadth of experience on their Board of Directors down the years you'll see that we will never be a Burnley under SL.

I'll be at QPR and Swansea, hoping, as ever.

Archived