IGNORED

Think we will be surprised this season.

barneyrubble

Really don't get the negative thoughts about this season , we've played one game against a good team and got a draw.

Yes we've lost 3 good players but have done really well getting the money we have considering 2 only had a year to run on there contracts.

I think we have or soon will have improved the goalkeeper position.

Right back better

Centre half's at least as good with more potential. 

Left back we have potential England fullback.Mates with Tammy.

Midfield much stronger lots of options strength in depth will be able to rotate.

Forwards once Fammy is back like the thought of him and Weimann together.Eisa has promise and could really develop. 

On top of the above we have generated substantial funds which will ensure we are not at risk of any immediate future FFP issues. 

Also remember these players wanted to leave they were not forced.Let's give this new squad time to settle and see where we are after 10 games. 

14 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Really don't get the negative thoughts about this season , we've played one game against a good team and got a draw.

Yes we've lost 3 good players but have done really well getting the money we have considering 2 only had a year to run on there contracts.

Right back better

Midfield much stronger lots of options strength in depth will be able to rotate.

Forwards once Fammy is back like the thought of him and Weimann together.Eisa has promise and could really develop. 

On top of the above we have generated substantial funds which will ensure we are not at risk of any immediate future FFP issues. 

Also remember these players wanted to leave they were not forced.Let's give this new squad time to settle and see where we are after 10 games. 

I'll like this post if we win on Saturday!

13 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Right back better

You mean gel don't you? and isn't that what pre season is for.

No doubt you`ll be back with "fine tuning" at the next window?

You are also hopefull that the newbies will be better than those who have left, 2 of which have gone to prem teams and one to a promotion hopefull.........now why didn't those teams go for those we have brought in I wonder.

10 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

You mean gel don't you? and isn't that what pre season is for.

No doubt you`ll be back with "fine tuning" at the next window?

You are also hopefull that the newbies will be better than those who have left, 2 of which have gone to prem teams and one to a promotion hopefull.........now why didn't those teams go for those we have brought in I wonder.

It was well reported that other teams had made enquiries about all of our summer signings.

From your post you seen hopeful we will fail. The amount of ‘big name’ players we have brought in and they’ve not performed has been endless in the past.

How many people shook their heads when we signed Flint, Pack, Kodja etc. Plenty.

Give the new guys an opportunity and support the team and the club in being business smart with new financial policies and that we’re not a basket case of a club like Sunderland, QPR etc.

Can’t go with the optimism, to me the side looks short of both goals and that extra bit of quality you need at this level. The keeper had a quiet 90 minutes so way too early to judge. Defence looks ok, but think we’ll miss Flint more than we realise. The central midfield is fine, hard working, difficult to play against but not prolific for goals. Beyond that O’Dowda still not back to full fitness, Elliason unproven still, Pato just ????. 

I don’t see this as anywhere near good enough to challenge at the top, bearing in mind the number of teams that have spent big.

So take your pick, is that negative or realistic based on the little we have seen? Of course it could change, 3 umlauts could be a gem of a keeper, defence gel, Pato rediscover his form, Elliason come good etc. Still not sure it would be quite enough for a sustained challenge though.

I am optimistic - I think we will have to accept with the players some teams have we may be out-played on the pure football front but that does not mean they will beat us on the scoreboard.

Defence is key - totally obvious but keep clean sheets and the worse case result is a draw.

For how good Flint and Bryan were in peoples eyes - they were part of a very leaky defence.

I don't know what to expect this season. We've lost our stand-out players but strengthened in-depth and I think we now have a squad of players that are geared up for - and buy into - the football the manager wants to play. 

I'm not convinced on central midfield yet and I don't think we should ignore the impact of being without Fammy for the opening games of the season, with a few other players injured or not fully fit.

I'm optimistic we have enough options now to avoid another prolonged collapse. I'm not convinced we're going to excel for long periods either but, if everything clicks, then I think it possible I'll be surprised on that. 

59 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Right back better

I think that you might be more surprised than you are thinking now. 

1 hour ago, Barney red said:

Right back better

Totally agree with this.

I believe the signings we have made are far better than people are giving them credit for, and more importantly strengthen in depth vital positions that will allow us to play the system/formation LJ wants us to, even when injuries/suspensions come our way - which in my view was the main problem last season.

A few people gonna have egg of their faces when our defensive record improves substantially without Flint.

We will score less goals without Reid but I'l be happy if we maintain an element of control and consistency in results without the random haphazard nature of seasons past.

For me, sure we lack a bit of ‘star dust’ in the side, but it looks competent enough. The concerns for me, more than the squad as such, are two fold.

Firstly, a fair number of ou4 squad changes have been pretty late in the day. Inevitably it is going to take some time for them to gell in relation to team building.

Secondly, by far the most important position for me is that of manager. Really, a make or break season for LJ. Wants it seems to play an expansive type of football, but equally to many times last year when he seems to have tinkered and our shape has looked all wrong. Fingers crossed of course, but he needs to get the maximum from the team ASAP. The successful teams are the ones where the whole is more than the sum of its parts. That will be the real test.

We still have a loan window which people seem to forget. It’s a long season and the team will evolve in one way or another.

I really don’t understand the surprise and disappointment from many on here - we are a small club in a very competitive league. Players leaving for better clubs and having to replace them has always been the way of the world and unless you are Real or Barca then it’s the same for everyone else.

Enjoy the rollercoaster and seeing what our new and young players can do...

Think we'll be able to compete quite well at home- we showed that last season and even in the near relegation season the year before, it was rare we were played off the park. Happened a few times but rare.

Away from home? I worry- Plan B and C definitely a necessity, we will be up v good sides who have strengthened. Likely strong home form/performances and average away without some changes. Should equal mid table but OTOH if it;s the case that we are not surging towards the top and up to an hour or so in v Wolves at home, we were even on the verge of putting them under some serious pressure- but then we can perhaps if looking midtable, fairly safe but unlikely to kick on perhaps focus on a Cup run, maybe both Cups- let's face it we have a very winnable first Cup game...

For me, although we've lost some individual stars, the squad is stronger and more 'championship' experienced.

I'm not saying we'll have a better season, but you could argue that having a stronger squad is better than a few individual stars. Let's be honest the team played like a bunch of individuals on many occasions in the second half of last season.

So if selling those stars, enables us to strengthen the squad with, even on paper, lesser players, the squad could still be stronger on average.

In the Championship,nothing surprises me,except the amount of  surprises,if that makes sense.All I ask from any player is that they give 100% every game and if that’s not quite good enough,at least they gave  everything.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll end up in the top half again. Doesn't sound very exciting does it?, but after being a Lge 1/Champ yo-yo club with no real vision or strategy, I'll happily settle for being an established solid Champ club with a plan, blooming academy and great facilities that can attract the better players.

With regards to the transfer business, I'd be more disappointed if we had made the play offs and then lost out in the final after being the better team. That sense of almost making it and then losing your better players would've been an incredibly bitter pill to swallow. However, we didn't make the play-offs, we finished 11th. Therefore the three we lost, although good players and amongst our better ones, weren't in the end so good that they got us into the play offs. I think we've added solid champ experience and some promising youngsters and so have more strength in depth that will bring us consistency when suffering  injuries or the rigours of this high energy pressing game over a whole season.

We've got to remember we're not the only team with ambitions for the premiership, rich owners and are an attractive proposition to the better players. We're operating in a very competitive market.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

A few people gonna have egg of their faces when our defensive record improves substantially without Flint.

We will score less goals without Reid but I'l be happy if we maintain an element of control and consistency in results without the random haphazard nature of seasons past.

If we conceded less goals it will depend on the reasons won’t it

Or the fools will grasp on the first option without looking

On the briefest indication as yet The new defensicpve recruits , whatever they may bring don’t immediately shout better defenders to me

8 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll end up in the top half again. Doesn't sound very exciting does it?, but after being a Lge 1/Champ yo-yo club with no real vision or strategy, I'll happily settle for being an established solid Champ club with a plan, blooming academy and great facilities that can attract the better players.

With regards to the transfer business, I'd be more disappointed if we had made the play offs and then lost out in the final after being the better team. That sense of almost making it and then losing your better players would've been an incredibly bitter pill to swallow. However, we didn't make the play-offs, we finished 11th. Therefore the three we lost, although good players and amongst our better ones, weren't in the end so good that they got us into the play offs. I think we've added solid champ experience and some promising youngsters and so have more strength in depth that will bring us consistency when suffering  injuries or the rigours of this high energy pressing game over a whole season.

We've got to remember we're not the only team with ambitions for the premiership, rich owners and are an attractive proposition to the better players. We're operating in a very competitive market.

Stop being rational!!!!!

(completely agree)

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If we conceded less goals it will depend on the reasons won’t it

Or the fools will grasp on the first option without looking

On the briefest indication as yet The new defensicpve recruits , whatever they may bring don’t immediately shout better defenders to me

Blimey - that's some early assessment that with three new faces in our back line and only two have played in the solitary competitive match on day 1 of the season which was a 1-1 draw whilst the other one signed yesterday...... and they don't immediately shout 'better defender'. At this stage I think it's pretty difficult to shout anything good, bad or indifferent.

At least I gave Matt Smith three games before my cutting edge assessment, Bob! :yes:

On a wider note- I'm definitely not negative about our new look squad but nor am I convinced that we will achieve any much more than an "also ran" status this season. Yet who knows?

Fammy and Mo could tear up defences, O'Dowda and Elliason could yet be the answer, Marley is yet to make an appearance and it will be near November before we see if the hype about Adelakun was worth it. Meanwhile, we don't yet know what the loans may be in the next few weeks. I'm trying to be enthusiastic but it's quite difficult.

One thing's sure and that is that the beauty of Championship football is that spending big, or coming down from Premier League is no guarantee of success at this level.

18 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Blimey - that's some early assessment that with three new faces in our back line and only two have played in the solitary competitive match on day 1 of the season which was a 1-1 draw whilst the other one signed yesterday...... and they don't immediately shout 'better defender'. At this stage I think it's pretty difficult to shout anything good, bad or indifferent.

At least I gave Matt Smith three games before my cutting edge assessment, Bob! :yes:

On a wider note- I'm definitely not negative about our new look squad but nor am I convinced that we will achieve any much more than an "also ran" status this season. Yet who knows?

Fammy and Mo could tear up defences, O'Dowda and Elliason could yet be the answer, Marley is yet to make an appearance and it will be near November before we see if the hype about Adelakun was worth it. Meanwhile, we don't yet know what the loans may be in the next few weeks. I'm trying to be enthusiastic but it's quite difficult.

One thing's sure and that is that the beauty of Championship football is that spending big, or coming down from Premier League is no guarantee of success at this level.

:laughcont:

A very initial view MRR

?

It’s my habit and choice but I spent a lot of Saturday watching the debutants rather than flow of game

I would doubt that making some pretty big claims did

Just watching for the pluses and minuses in positioning , pace , awareness, composure  etc etc

Ive mentioned some and praised Webster but on initial view ‘Better defender’ Than Flint I’m not so sure

Hunt initially looks ‘ok’ to me and won’t have to do too much to improve us defensively there and appears an upgrade on what we’ve had - Not sure defensively he’s  going to be as good as going forward and individually probably won’t effect our goals against column

Ivr pointed out I can’t even guess about Desilva but there’s plenty who seem already adamant about him

FWIW

Weimann easier to judge as we’ve all seen plenty of him for a few years , currently better than Bobby ? , not the Bobby of last season but can understand why we bought him and vfm etc a tick from me  

Maenpaa did.nothing wrong and looked generally more composed than FF with ball other than one very decent save so difficult to make any great view atm

Im happy and ready to be proved wrong on any of my views or change them with more viewing

Im not so sure we will concede less,we may do and I foresee that if we do it will be down to maintaining our work rate and press etc better because of the numerous personnel options we have not because we have recruited better defenders 

3 hours ago, Barney red said:

Right back better

Great to see an upbeat thread at last! Well balanced and well thought out. 

There’s been too much negativity on here recently.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

:laughcont:

A very initial view MRR

?

It’s my habit and choice but I spent a lot of Saturday watching the debutants rather than flow of game

I would doubt that making some pretty big claims did

Just watching for the pluses and minuses in positioning , pace , awareness, composure  etc etc

Ive mentioned some and praised Webster but on initial view ‘Better defender’ Than Flint I’m not so sure

Hunt initially looks ‘ok’ to me and won’t have to do too much to improve us defensively there and appears an upgrade on what we’ve had - Not sure defensively he’s  going to be as good as going forward and individually probably won’t effect our goals against column

FWIW

Weimann easier to judge as we’ve all seen plenty of him for a few years , currently better than Bobby ? , not the Bobby of last season but can understand why we bought him and vfm etc a tick from me  

Maenpaa did.nothing wrong and looked generally more composed than FF with ball other than one very decent save so difficult to make any great vies atm

Could it be that this season we are now going to be better defensively without necessarily having better defenders- if you see what I mean?

If Flint didn't score so many  which more than makes up for his mistakes ( At Boro- conceded one and scored one) then I doubt we could have sold him and whilst Joe is so much better at attacking than when defending.

Perhaps we're now a better all round team?perhaps everyone learnt from last season? perhaps the younger players have now stepped up and perhaps I'm clutching at straws?

I'm hopeful rather than confident and at the moment I just can't see us challenging the likes of Derby, Forest, Villa, Stoke, West Brom, Brentford, Leeds, Boro who all have real quality in their teams.

That's not to say we won't be competitve against these teams but I just think we'll probably come up a little short when we play them and ultimately finish below them.

Anyway, I know It sounds obvious but it's really too soon to say and we'll know much better where we stand after about 10-12 games.

I think we are all looking for a bit more consistency in performance and results 

Turning more losses into draws and draws into wins.

Too early to say how we will do over 46 games as there are so many twists and turns as well as Lady Luck and not to mention injuries

I just hope we can stay competitive throughout the season and keep looking ahead rather than over our shoulders

4 hours ago, Barney red said:

Right back better

I think I don;t know what to think after 90 minutes of league football particularly who is better than who.

4 hours ago, Chappers said:

Can’t go with the optimism, to me the side looks short of both goals and that extra bit of quality you need at this level. The keeper had a quiet 90 minutes so way too early to judge. Defence looks ok, but think we’ll miss Flint more than we realise. The central midfield is fine, hard working, difficult to play against but not prolific for goals. Beyond that O’Dowda still not back to full fitness, Elliason unproven still, Pato just ????. 

I don’t see this as anywhere near good enough to challenge at the top, bearing in mind the number of teams that have spent big.

So take your pick, is that negative or realistic based on the little we have seen? Of course it could change, 3 umlauts could be a gem of a keeper, defence gel, Pato rediscover his form, Elliason come good etc. Still not sure it would be quite enough for a sustained challenge though.

The keeper did have a relatively quiet afternoon, one good save, against a fancied Forest side who created more chances against an equally fancied West Brom than they did against us.......that’s not a bad thing!!

Archived