IGNORED

Mike Ashley - House of Fraser

Leveller

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

So, all in a morning, House of Fraser has gone into administration and been sold to Sports Direct for £90M. 

Interesting times for the high street, and Newcastle fans.

Whatever you think of Ashley he's a very astute businessman - clearly waited for them to go into Admin and pick them up far cheaper than a conventional takeover.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Whatever you think of Ashley he's a very astute businessman - clearly waited for them to go into Admin and pick them up far cheaper than a conventional takeover.

he's thinking about HoF's assets he's now got hold of 59 retail premises many in prime locations 

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Well said.

Can't predict what his next move is for the fledgling department store though. He'll either view this as a chance to expand his Sports Direct empire and use the new prime locations he's purchased, or alternatively he'll genuinely try to turn House of Fraser's fortunes around. How he'll do that I'm not quite sure.

1 hour ago, Gifford said:

Newcastle fans complaining on social media need to get some perspective. 16000 jobs saved.

While that is all true, I'm pretty sure it's the clubs money he isn't spending rather than his own.

As for HoF- obviously a job is better than no job and we'll all agree but doubtless he will have as at Sports Direct plenty of switches to Zero hours and some pretty terrible working conditions. 

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Whilst dramatic & drastic, undoubtedly creating some negativity, this needed doing. H of F has been over-priced and flagging for years. Even online, items were over-priced and not competitive with other portals.

A friend who worked there often joked how busy the shop floor was busy with people browsing and trying stuff on, only to not make the purchase and buy elsewhere for cheaper.

I was guilty of this myself on one occasion. Wanted a Steve McQueen Barbour coat. Knew HofF in Cabot had it. Went to try on for size. This jacket was £229 in store AND online. Ended up getting the same jacket for £150, free next day delivery, from Outdoor & Country (a reputable site). Huge saving and free delivery - people are always going to choose this option.

Archived