IGNORED

Leeds TV!

Langford Red

Does anybody know why Leeds always get on TV

They are chosen ahead of anybody else

I love it when they lose now

It is not jealousy. I can not see why they are allowed to get more TV money than anybody else

Also they charge one of, if not the most gate fees, than any other club

I would not mind them being on every week, as long as all the clubs in the division got a share of the money

(Not all money going to Leeds!)

It is bad enough trying to compete against relegation windfall from the Prem!

Money should be shared to all clubs, divided out. Not the lions share of the money to biased Leeds

To me it is a disgrace 

Come on, all clubs beat them!

• Admin

@Bicester Red Very easy to see why when you see the figures below, Sky is there to make money and not promote the EFL in anyway

Top figures from last season

image.png

From the season before some specific numbers

1. Leeds v Newcastle 826,000

2. Newcastle v Sheffield Wednesday 598,000

3. Blackburn v Newcastle 584,000

4. Fulham v Newcastle 531,000

5. Villa v Newcastle 524,000

6. Forest v Newcastle 444,000

7. Barnsley v Leeds 443,000

8. Newcastle v Villa 427,000

8. Wolves v Newcastle 405,000

9. Newcastle v QPR 392,000

10. Wolves v Derby 379,000

11. Leeds v Villa 377,000

13. Villa v Wolves 372,000

and excluding the play offs, how often each side was shown live on Sky

Leeds United - 18 
Aston Villa – 17 
Sheffield United – 12 
Wolverhampton Wanderers – 12 
Cardiff City – 10 
Derby County – 10 
Nottingham Forest – 8 
Birmingham City – 7 
Bristol City – 7 
Fulham – 7 
Hull City – 7 
Middlesbrough – 7 
Sheffield Wednesday – 7 
Bolton Wanderers - 5 
Norwich City – 5 
Preston North End – 4 
Sunderland – 4 
Brentford – 3 
Burton Albion – 3 
Ipswich Town – 3 
QPR – 3 
Reading – 3 
Barnsley – 2 
Millwall - 2

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

and excluding the play offs, how often each side was shown live on Sky

Leeds United - 18 
Aston Villa – 17 
Sheffield United – 12 
Wolverhampton Wanderers – 12 
Cardiff City – 10 
Derby County – 10 
Nottingham Forest – 8 
Birmingham City – 7 
Bristol City – 7 
Fulham – 7 
Hull City – 7 
Middlesbrough – 7 
Sheffield Wednesday – 7 
Bolton Wanderers - 5 
Norwich City – 5 
Preston North End – 4 
Sunderland – 4 
Brentford – 3 
Burton Albion – 3 
Ipswich Town – 3 
QPR – 3 
Reading – 3 
Barnsley – 2 
Millwall - 2

If we'd kept up our first half season form we'd have easily been up around the 10 games on at least, on a reasonable amount for a team who finished mid table.

16 minutes ago, Bicester Red said:

But how is that fair

Its about promoting the division

You will say the advertisers want those teams!

I don't watch them

The audiences are made up no prof!

When the adverts come on I turn over to Sky sports centre or Sky news

Its not fair but its Sky's decision and ultimately they make them based on viewers and revenue.

At least this season we have midweek red button games. 

20 minutes ago, Bicester Red said:

But how is that fair

Its about promoting the division

You will say the advertisers want those teams!

I don't watch them

The audiences are made up no prof!

When the adverts come on I turn over to Sky sports centre or Sky news

no it really isn't, its about making money for sky always has been always will be, 

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Bicester Red Very easy to see why when you see the figures below, Sky is there to make money and not promote the EFL in anyway

Top figures from last season

image.png

We're impressively high up on that list. 8th of all the teams in this division is nothing to be sniffed at.

Unfortunately, fairness isn't the priority here for Sky. Their priority is to get advertising revenue to pay for their EFL outlay which was more than just a few quid. It's a basic business decision. I would like to know how many people have Sky Sports over here in Norn Iron and then compare it with the rest of the UK. I think it would be a safe bet to say that the subscribers to Sky Sports is higher here than the regional average. 

In Norn Iron, there are very few City fans. However, there are many Leeds fans. Why? It's an unwritten rule that you have two teams to support: your local one and then an English or Scottish team. Leeds would have had a massive following in the Seventies. It all started from there. Consequently, go into any major sports shop retailer and you'll see the usual suspects in football shirts including a couple from the Championship namely Leeds and Burton Albion.  Ok, I made up the latter team short!

I believe totally in fairness, and that fairness can be applied to business models. As a previous poster has said, we will at least have the red button option for eight games (assuming you have sky sports. I don't!)

I think there should be a better distribution.

However, fact remains Leeds are historically a big club. History may count for nothing...but their commercial revenue is a good indicator IMO to the size of club. On Leeds- whether we like them or not (and that poll a few weeks ago suggests City fans very much do not)! they have fans all over the country- absolute truth.

Hence, they get shown the most. To illustrate the point. How can a Championship club outside of London, get that ahead of recently relegated PL sides- a Championship club who have been in admin and League One in the last 15 years. Simple- they are a fairly big club still- or perceived as such. Plus the viewing figures, which feeds into this.

DhzsJlIX4AET-yU.jpg:large

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Is it really that hard to think its true? Casual premier league fans who do you think they're more likely to turn the TV on for, Leeds, Forest, Frank Lampard's Derby County or us, Brentford or Reading?

The advertisers will never know who were watching

Lots of times I see an advert and say to myself

"I will not be buying their product

The same as :-

Reading 

Advert on shirt _ Waitrose

So I will not shop at Waitrose

The GASH fans will not Bet on DUNDER

If I see 

KIDS EAT FREE

I will not eat there

Im not paying for other peoples children 

And children go free on holidays. So I will not go there

Im not paying for other peoples children to go on holiday

If an advertiser will only pay to advertise when Leeds play. I will not buy their products!

Leeds just get more and more money to spend on players every season!

Before everybody starts the usual Sky bashing, ask yourself a question... before Sky started showing football from the lower divisions, how often were those games shown on TV? Answer = Never, the only Football shown on TV was Cup and top tier games.

So if Sky want to show games that will generate them the most revenue, it's their prerogative. As already pointed out though, we had a large amount of games shown live on Sky last season, so it's not all biased towards the 'big' clubs. Also there are some bigger names that didn't get much airtime either, including Middlesborough, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday etc

I remember this from a couple of seasons ago. https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/leeds-owner-massimo-cellino-bans-sky-sports-from-stadium-ahead-of-televised-clash-with-derby-34286

Even some Leeds fans were not happy about the amount of games Sky showed as it meant constant changes to game times and dates.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, kmpowell said:

Before everybody starts the usual Sky bashing, ask yourself a question... before Sky started showing football from the lower divisions, how often were those games shown on TV? Answer = Never, the only Football shown on TV was Cup and top tier games.

So if Sky want to show games that will generate them the most revenue, it's their prerogative. As already pointed out though, we had a large amount of games shown live on Sky last season, so it's not all biased towards the 'big' clubs. Also there are some bigger names that didn't get much airtime either, including Middlesborough, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday etc

That's not quite true HTV West used to show City games fairly frequent

Can remember watching the goal marathon at Derby County live many years ago

14 minutes ago, kmpowell said:

Fairly sure they showed games from outside the top division- albeit rarely and regionally. Or am I getting mixed up with Highlights from Lower Division games (i.e. the Big Match etc)?

@Bicester Red See where you're coming from in principle, but it's the case in the PL too, Man Utd will get on a lot more frequently than...well most tbh but particularly Burnley, Huddersfield etc. Does it make it right? Not really. Is it what it is? Yeah.

Same principle as when we (and other nations) got fined by FIFA in the summer. I think ours was wrong brand of socks and Croatia's was for drinking the wrong type of water in view of the camera! Why? One word- Exposure.

@myol'man You might say finding it is a real quest...

On 10/08/2018 at 14:05, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think there should be a better distribution.

However, fact remains Leeds are historically a big club. History may count for nothing...but their commercial revenue is a good indicator IMO to the size of club. On Leeds- whether we like them or not (and that poll a few weeks ago suggests City fans very much do not)! they have fans all over the country- absolute truth.

Hence, they get shown the most. To illustrate the point. How can a Championship club outside of London, get that ahead of recently relegated PL sides- a Championship club who have been in admin and League One in the last 15 years. Simple- they are a fairly big club still- or perceived as such. Plus the viewing figures, which feeds into this.

DhzsJlIX4AET-yU.jpg:large

Is it not a self fullfilling thing though?

As long as Leeds are shown more on TV they will continue to be perceived as a big club because of the TV appearences.

The argument of them being a 'big club' is based on their achievements 20-40 years ago.

I'd hypothesise that if we had this level of TV coverage in the 40's, 50's and 60's then Huddersfield would (have) been seen as a 'big club'. After all, they were history makers in the 30's, yet nowadays they are brought up by some of our fans as an example of a club of a similar size to us who made it into the Premier League.

Archived