IGNORED

NFL 2018 Season

EmersonsRed

Anyone see anything of the Browns Vs Jets game?

Crowell scores his 2nd TD of the quarter in the 2nd on his return to face the Browns & his celebration was to squat like he was sat on the toilet & to wipe his arse with the ball & then throw the ball into the Browns fans ?

It goes without saying that he got penalised for it but it certainly made me laugh.

And I guess the Browns has the last laugh by coming back to win with thanks to Baker Mayfield taking over from Tyrod Taylor at QB. Is that a sign of things to come?

On 16/09/2018 at 22:02, Erithacus said:

But a great catch by the Jags! Who needs Stickum or Fred Biletnikoff when you have these receivers? 

Stickum did you say? haven't heard that for years, the hands of Lester Hayes, imho the goat at the position, and the reason why the NFL banned it's use. Imagine getting that off after each game?

lh.jpg

lh1.jpg

Liked the Saints/Falcons getting some big hits in. Touch of play-off intensity. :devil:  Crazy way for the game to end, though. Some other of tonight's games turned into upsets too.

Meanwhile, the Browns are probably still nursing hangovers, and will hope to be ready for the trip to Oakland next Sunday.

I've never massively been into NFL before despite having watched a few games live. However, I've decided to get into it this year and feel like I should support a team. Whoever can form the best argument for a team that I should back, I will then follow them over land and sea/onto victory etc. etc. Please note that as I am going to take this very seriously, your suggestion could result in me getting a tattoo or a new duvet cover so please ensure that they have a decent badge. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Coppello said:

I've never massively been into NFL before despite having watched a few games live. However, I've decided to get into it this year and feel like I should support a team. Whoever can form the best argument for a team that I should back, I will then follow them over land and sea/onto victory etc. etc. Please note that as I am going to take this very seriously, your suggestion could result in me getting a tattoo or a new duvet cover so please ensure that they have a decent badge. Thanks. 

If the badge/logo is important then my Los Angeles Chargers could be a good bet.

A swaggy team at times with a great offensive (mega WR group and future Hall of Fame veteran QB) but usually find ways to lose games in an avoidable fashion - usually via special teams being sub par.

Just moved back to LA from San Diego and will share the new stadium with the Rams in 2020. Depending how we replace Rivers when he goes there could be a very good side in there over the next 5 years.

Personally would love to get Tate Martell from Ohio State in the 2020 draft

On 24/09/2018 at 00:06, Coppello said:

Under no circumstances, choose to support the Jets ?

Pinched from a thread on the main forum, but looks like the Jags (and Fulham) owner Khan is one step closer to owning Wembley.

I am near certain that within the next 10-20 years we will see a franchise in London, most likely the Jaguars.

Which leads me to this question - would Brits who follow other teams stick with them or support the London based team?

Having been into the Chargers for over a decade, I would find it hard to switch. Although I wouldn't miss the west coast kick off times...

7 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Pinched from a thread on the main forum, but looks like the Jags (and Fulham) owner Khan is one step closer to owning Wembley.

I am near certain that within the next 10-20 years we will see a franchise in London, most likely the Jaguars.

Which leads me to this question - would Brits who follow other teams stick with them or support the London based team?

Having been into the Chargers for over a decade, I would find it hard to switch. Although I wouldn't miss the west coast kick off times...

I would think (personally), IF we were to have a franchise team here, it would have to be a completely new team.

For example, as someone who has followed the Washington Redskins for nearly 40 years, I could never see me being interested in The Jags & the only time I would probably want to see them is when they were playing The Redskins.

IF we were given a new franchise team, I would feel more likely that I would be able to get into following them & going to watch them more often than just for one game a season. I have no connection to any other franchise & they all have their own identity (apart from maybe The Chargers).

24 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I would think (personally), IF we were to have a franchise team here, it would have to be a completely new team.

For example, as someone who has followed the Washington Redskins for nearly 40 years, I could never see me being interested in The Jags & the only time I would probably want to see them is when they were playing The Redskins.

IF we were given a new franchise team, I would feel more likely that I would be able to get into following them & going to watch them more often than just for one game a season. I have no connection to any other franchise & they all have their own identity (apart from maybe The Chargers).

I would imagine a brand new franchise may be problematic with scheduling etc, but is possible.

Agree with this, apart from the low blow at the Chargers! As you know not uncommon to relocated in the states. People forget, the Chargers were originally an LA team before the move to San Diego. 

Not too dis-similar to the Rams, although of course they have more of a presence in LA.

Only 1.5/2 hours from SD you'd think more people would make the trip, but sadly even hard core Chargers fans are routing for the other side now.

Success will help stem this, although that looks a bit of a way off atm...

14 minutes ago, devoncider said:

I would imagine a brand new franchise may be problematic with scheduling etc, but is possible.

Agree with this, apart from the low blow at the Chargers! As you know not uncommon to relocated in the states. People forget, the Chargers were originally an LA team before the move to San Diego. 

Not too dis-similar to the Rams, although of course they have more of a presence in LA.

Only 1.5/2 hours from SD you'd think more people would make the trip, but sadly even hard core Chargers fans are routing for the other side now.

Success will help stem this, although that looks a bit of a way off atm...

It was just a case of the Chargers being the most recent franchise to do it.

Assuming that any franchise playing from London would be a couple of years off, would it not be an option for another franchise to be put together stateside? Or on the basis of the ‘bye week’, could that not just be refigured?

For a country the size of America, 32 teams certainly doesn’t seem like a lot & would mean that there are a huge proportion of the country that doesn’t have a ‘local’ team.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

It was just a case of the Chargers being the most recent franchise to do it.

Assuming that any franchise playing from London would be a couple of years off, would it not be an option for another franchise to be put together stateside? Or on the basis of the ‘bye week’, could that not just be refigured?

For a country the size of America, 32 teams certainly doesn’t seem like a lot & would mean that there are a huge proportion of the country that doesn’t have a ‘local’ team.

I agree, on the face of it, it does seem odd to have just 32 teams cover the US - especially considering its not evenly spread.

I would guess that the importance and prevalence of High School and College football does a lot to bridge that gap.

Seems odd that the talented high school and college players just want to make it 'to the NFL' - putting more weight on the league itself rather than any team. I appreciate this could be because getting drafted is a lottery, but it does seem like the league as an entity holds a lot of power compared to what we're used to over here.

21 hours ago, devoncider said:

I'd probably go and watch them a few times a year, and I'd want them to win each week, but if they were playing the Jets or if them winning would hinder the Jets in any way I'd want them to lose. So basically they'd be my second team.

3 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

I'd probably go and watch them a few times a year, and I'd want them to win each week, but if they were playing the Jets or if them winning would hinder the Jets in any way I'd want them to lose. So basically they'd be my second team.

I think I'd be similar to this. For people who are already into NFL it would be the same, but I guess they'd target younger fans and people just getting interested in the league and then supporting the London team would be a no brainer.

On 24/09/2018 at 00:06, Coppello said:

Go with the Browns

Starting at the bottom, enjoy the journey. I have followed the Saints for about 33 years now, I've seen good, I've seen truly awful, but I've also seen a Superbowl win

The way it's all set up is so that one team can't dominate for generations, although the Patriots have given it a damn good go. One tip, I really got into the game a lot more once I started following the college game a little more and consuming everything I could about the draft. Oddly, I probably enjoy the post Superbowl count down to free agency and draft as much as the game itself now

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Go with the Browns

Starting at the bottom, enjoy the journey. I have followed the Saints for about 33 years now, I've seen good, I've seen truly awful, but I've also seen a Superbowl win

The way it's all set up is so that one team can't dominate for generations, although the Patriots have given it a damn good go. One tip, I really got into the game a lot more once I started following the college game a little more and consuming everything I could about the draft. Oddly, I probably enjoy the post Superbowl count down to free agency and draft as much as the game itself now

Enjoy!

Couldn't agree more re: College ball and the draft.

With the Chargers drafting a franchise QB (hopefully) in the next few years, I'm all eyes on the quarterbacks!

Anyone with Netflix I'd recommend QB1: Beyond the Lights (documentary about the most talented high school players) and also Last Chance U (documentary about junior college football - kids with problems trying to get back on track).

Archived