IGNORED

NFL 2018 Season

EmersonsRed

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 00:06, Coppello said:

I've never massively been into NFL before despite having watched a few games live. However, I've decided to get into it this year and feel like I should support a team. Whoever can form the best argument for a team that I should back, I will then follow them over land and sea/onto victory etc. etc. Please note that as I am going to take this very seriously, your suggestion could result in me getting a tattoo or a new duvet cover so please ensure that they have a decent badge. Thanks. 

I'm a Bears fan but I thought I'd make it impartial and compare each team to their "soccer" counterpart;

Arizona Cardinals – nobody cares about them or supports them spent loads of seasons at a university stadium has to be Bristol Rovers

Chicago Bears – like Arsenal under Graham all about the "Defence"

Green Bay Packers  - the small town upstarts Burnley

New York Giants – big city flops West Ham

Detroit Lions – have a good young coach Bournemouth

Washington Redskins – the nations Capital that haven’t won anything for a while ala Spurs

Philadelphia Eagles – reigning Champions Man City (with less money)

Pittsburgh Steelers  - the fashionable outfit of the 70’s Notts Forest

Los Angeles Rams – a new young upstart of a franchise going well a bit like Salford City

San Francisco 49ers  - dominant power of the 1980’s Liverpool

Cleveland Browns – the worst of the worst like Cardiff in the Premier League

Indianapolis Colts – use to be good now they are sh&t Aston Villa

Dallas Cowboys America’s team – they are a bit like Man United everybody hates them

Kansas City Chiefs – attack attack attack Wolves   

Los Angeles Chargers  - another new Franchise just think of MK Dons 

Denver Broncos – they had good quaterbacks like Newcastle had strikers

New York Jets  – not great always seem to mess it up Sheffield Wednesday

New England Patriots – the most successful modern team Real Madrid

Oakland Raiders – they think they are the bad boys with a crazy coach Wimbledon back in the day 

Tennessee Titans – Steady Eddie Watford

Buffalo Bills – always lose a Cup Final Crystal Palace

Minnesota Vikings – think they are better than they are Leeds

Atlanta Falcons – always blow a lead Bristol City  

Miami Dolphins – the fashionable outfit of the 80’s Everton

New Orleans Saints – bit like Barcelona quarterback Drew Brees is their Messi 

Cincinnati Bengals  - Mr Gray nobody knows they are there Huddersfield

Seattle Seahawks – former Champions on the way down Everton 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – love the sunshine but basking in the shadows Brighton

Carolina Panthers – haven’t been seen since 2016 Leicester

Jacksonville Jaguars – want to be English – Glasgow Rangers

Baltimore Ravens – 2 time winners but off the boil Chelsea

Houston Texans – they have all the oil in the world PSG

19 hours ago, devoncider said:

Couldn't agree more re: College ball and the draft.

With the Chargers drafting a franchise QB (hopefully) in the next few years, I'm all eyes on the quarterbacks!

Anyone with Netflix I'd recommend QB1: Beyond the Lights (documentary about the most talented high school players) and also Last Chance U (documentary about junior college football - kids with problems trying to get back on track).

Not enjoyed Last Chance U as much this time around, not sure about the coach in the new series. Bit of a roaster!

QB1 I started watching the other week when I was laid up with a bad back, really enjoyed that. As I follow Ohio State I am interested in seeing how Martell gets on

28 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Not enjoyed Last Chance U as much this time around, not sure about the coach in the new series. Bit of a roaster!

QB1 I started watching the other week when I was laid up with a bad back, really enjoyed that. As I follow Ohio State I am interested in seeing how Martell gets on

I won't say too much but god, I'm excited by him

1 hour ago, devoncider said:

I won't say too much but god, I'm excited by him

What about Fromm? I think he caught my eye more, the other lad (who's name completely escapes me right now) just looks like he doesn't want it as much

Need to get back to watching it, probably got about 6 episodes in

23 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

What about Fromm? I think he caught my eye more, the other lad (who's name completely escapes me right now) just looks like he doesn't want it as much

Need to get back to watching it, probably got about 6 episodes in

I didn't take to him as a person, but hell of an athlete. Should have a very good career - same as Martell, although he has a bit more of an 'X Factor'.

The third guy (Tayvon Bowers) wasn't at the same level of those two, not helped by the guys around him. All 3 are now at college but Fromm and Martell are seeing much more action than Bowers, who is weirdly sitting behind one of the guys from QB1 season 2!

3 hours ago, devoncider said:

I didn't take to him as a person, but hell of an athlete. Should have a very good career - same as Martell, although he has a bit more of an 'X Factor'.

The third guy (Tayvon Bowers) wasn't at the same level of those two, not helped by the guys around him. All 3 are now at college but Fromm and Martell are seeing much more action than Bowers, who is weirdly sitting behind one of the guys from QB1 season 2!

Bowers, that's the fella. I liked him more than the other two as a person, but he's the kid that isn't going to make it. The other two are typical, alpha males. Kind of waiting to see the pair of them get flattened, if I'm honest!! Is season 2 on Netflix as well? Need to do me some catching up by the sounds of it!

34 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Bowers, that's the fella. I liked him more than the other two as a person, but he's the kid that isn't going to make it. The other two are typical, alpha males. Kind of waiting to see the pair of them get flattened, if I'm honest!! Is season 2 on Netflix as well? Need to do me some catching up by the sounds of it!

Yeah, he'll get a decent amount of snaps at a good D1 college but will never go pro.

Season 2 is not on Netflix...yet. I've been watching on here: https://www.ratedred.com/ 

38 minutes ago, Super said:

@Tipps69 you know a lot more than me what needs to change for the Redskins to become good again?! Is it a simple thing like bombing out Gruden or are there a lot more problems?

I think Gruden’s the right guy personally.

What needs to be remembered is that in the NFL, it is rarely a case of throwing money at the problem as a way of a fix because no one team can throw bucket loads at their problems as a way of repair because of the wage cap & the fact that there is no open market (as such), so if you have a problem with more than one facet of your team, it’s not as easy as signing one or two players to repair things.

And the trouble is, once you have one issue, by the time you think you’ve sorted that another facet of your roster needs fixing.

So we struggled with QB, defence & the line, we’ve tried fixing that & in the meantime we’ve developed a problem with the offence, no wide receivers, running back relying on an aging free agent & tight ends that are unreliable.

Part of me thinks that making a move for Bell could solve one of the problems & it would take the weight off the rest of the offence because Bell & Paterson would be depended on but then we are so predictable but is it something that could take the pressure off for a year or so in the hope of getting in some decent receivers? What sort of scope would be left if we brought Bell in? I don’t know.

My personal opinion is that we don’t have the weapons to destroy teams & if our defence can’t hold a team out or at least restrict them, then we are going to struggle. Until last night, we hadn’t scored a TD in the 3rd quarter of any previous game this season! And while we aren’t going to face a team with the weapons that the Saints have every week, it will affect confidence because who’s going to drag you back from behind going into the 2nd half, we can’t keep running the ball & even the players must be aware of it & it will affect their confidence as well because how do you go into a 2nd half 10 points down knowing that you have no ‘go to guys’? Last night the Saints basically ran the game down with over 10 minutes left on the clock, if our defence aren’t able to influence the game what’s the point in spending on the offence?

I don’t know enough to know who’s coming into free agency & who might be available soon but in the meantime do we put all our eggs into the Bell basket or sit it out a bit longer in the hope of solving the wideout issue?

To me, it’s part of the issue of the with the way the game is run in the NFL (and America in general), we’ve been a ‘middle of the road’ team for years & as such, we keep on only being able to pick up ‘middle of the road’ draft players that aren’t able to make the necessary impact. That being said, it doesn’t really help when your top draft picks get long term injuries before the season has even started. Will this mean that next season we have 3 or 4 ‘new’ players that we are hoping are going to have an influence?

To me it’s not all totally doom & gloom, our division is poor so there is always a chance that we’ll be competitive in divisional terms & like I said, we won’t face a Saints, Rams or Patriots team that has numerous weapons every week but is that good enough? Is that acceptable? Or should we be expecting to challenge further up the pecking order? I think last night showed that there is a lot of work still left to do & as long as Gruden & the organisation have a clear game plan, then I’m happy to stick with Gruden (kind of similar to City with Johnson) but once there are doubts about that long term plan, then it is time to start looking elsewhere in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Super said:

Time to block @Woodsy.....

Ha, not one to gloat!

I've not been as high on the Saints chances this year as some I've read online, but 4-1 is a great start. Bye week coming up, then the shit hit the fans with a horrible looking run - at Ravens, at Vikings, Eagles and at Bengals. That could easily be 1-3

Last season was a dream, draft class pretty much all contributed, and at a high level, giving the D a massive boost. You'll do well to get that again. The farm has been pretty much mortgaged to give Brees one last shot with the draft day move for Davenport, which appears to be working out quite nicely right now and the Bridgwater trade - not much capital going into the 2019 draft to play with. Lovely to see Brees get the record, I'm not sure about stopping the game though, that's a little OTT. One short of 500 TD passes as well, so hopefully another record to celebrate next game

Finding this season quite fascinating. I done a 'predict the scores' thing at the start of the season, had the Bills at 2-14 and getting #1 pick and the Rams beating the Steelers in the Superbowl. I wouldn't be putting any money on anyone right now, although did catch a bit of the Chiefs on Sunday, they looked pretty strong. Big game for them this week @ Patriots, that will give us a better indicator of where they are. Mahomes (who would have been in NO had the Chiefs not traded for him in 2017) certainly looks the part, love watching him play

And, aside from that, I'm loving seeing the Browns become relevant. I think they have a lot of building blocks in place to have a wonderful team in the next 3 or 4 years. Mayfield is going to be so much fun to watch. And great to see the Patriots, Packers, Steelers all getting beat a bit more regular. About time we saw some different names fighting for the title

Returned home late after the Wembley game (Raiders were poor on the both sides of the line of scrimmage, especially the pass rush) and decided to watch the Chiefs-Pats. What a tear-up! Noticed how Brady went to talk to Mahomes; I reckon it was the king telling the young prince he would soon be wearing his crown.

3 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Returned home late after the Wembley game (Raiders were poor on the both sides of the line of scrimmage, especially the pass rush) and decided to watch the Chiefs-Pats. What a tear-up! Noticed how Brady went to talk to Mahomes; I reckon it was the king telling the young prince he would soon be wearing his crown.

Peter King, ex SI, tweeted something earlier on saying how nice it was to hear two teams talk the other up in the post game interviews

Certainly makes a change!

9 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

The couple of years investment in the defence finally seems to be paying off for the Skins.

We’re finally influencing games & giving the offence an opportunity.

Defence was fantastic wasn't it Tipps? Do you think Smith is an upgrade on Cousins? (seems to be doing well at the Vikings) Or is the problem we have no WR?

Well I missed the London game but watched my beloved Bears lose again despite coming up only a yard short on a hail mary to force over time with the Pats in a thrilling finish that never looked likely.

Also did anyone see the Bucs v the Browns yet another overtime loss for the Browns it was like a boxing match of who wanted to throw away the game (definitely watch the highlights (or lowlights!). Finally after god knows how many turnovers the Bucs went for a 59 yard field goal to win (after the kicker had missed an extra point and a 40 yard to win!) talk about confidence in your kicker, luckily for the Bucs despite a banana like kick with a bit of fade it somehow came back inside the post for a memorable win! It was like the coach had absolutely no faith in his offense so just said sod it! Anyway enough of my ramblings I'm hoping the Bears turn it around against the Jets if Mack can sort out his dodgy glass ankle next Sunday...

Archived