IGNORED

NFL 2018 Season

EmersonsRed

1 hour ago, TMWANG50 said:

Well I missed the London game but watched my beloved Bears lose again despite coming up only a yard short on a hail mary to force over time with the Pats in a thrilling finish that never looked likely.

Also did anyone see the Bucs v the Browns yet another overtime loss for the Browns it was like a boxing match of who wanted to throw away the game (definitely watch the highlights (or lowlights!). Finally after god knows how many turnovers the Bucs went for a 59 yard field goal to win (after the kicker had missed an extra point and a 40 yard to win!) talk about confidence in your kicker, luckily for the Bucs despite a banana like kick with a bit of fade it somehow came back inside the post for a memorable win! It was like the coach had absolutely no faith in his offense so just said sod it! Anyway enough of my ramblings I'm hoping the Bears turn it around against the Jets if Mack can sort out his dodgy glass ankle next Sunday...

Not sure I have seen so many kicks getting missed as I have this season!

4 hours ago, Super said:

Defence was fantastic wasn't it Tipps? Do you think Smith is an upgrade on Cousins? (seems to be doing well at the Vikings) Or is the problem we have no WR?

I do think Smith is an upgrade on Cousins & especially when you look at the probable finances. Cousins would of cost us an extortionate amount (even more than he did in the previous seasons).

And you’re right, Smith doesn’t necessarily have the right tools at his disposal, you have to remember that we have a fairly big injury list, Guice missing the whole season & the continuous rotation of wideouts missing throughout the season, Richardson & Crowder missing the Dallas win.

It also has to be remembered, while Smith is new to the franchise, he’s unlikely to yet have that connection with everyone & losing players every week isn’t going to help that, especially when you look at the likes of Brady, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Rothlisburger etc, who have all been at their franchises for years & developed their relationships with their offence.

That said, we have seemingly spent the last couple of seasons concentrating on the O & D lines & the defence in general & I think this was generally done because of how much of the budget Cousins was taking up & now that mini soap opera has been sorted, I expect us to start concentrating on game changers in the next couple of years, Peterson has been great for us but there is no future in him & I’d be very surprised if we weren’t in the running for Bell if / when he becomes available as the Steelers are currently in a similar situation to us with Cousins but they have seemingly already found their replacement for Bell in Conner so I can see Bell being available.

I’d hazard a guess that we have a fair bit of wiggle room available to us with regards to budget & there is plenty of room to discard a few other offensive players to make room in the roster for one or two standouts if required.

We’re definitely a team heading in the right direction, it just depends on how quickly they decide to go for it & just how ambitious those in charge are?

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I do think Smith is an upgrade on Cousins & especially when you look at the probable finances. Cousins would of cost us an extortionate amount (even more than he did in the previous seasons).

And you’re right, Smith doesn’t necessarily have the right tools at his disposal, you have to remember that we have a fairly big injury list, Guice missing the whole season & the continuous rotation of wideouts missing throughout the season, Richardson & Crowder missing the Dallas win.

It also has to be remembered, while Smith is new to the franchise, he’s unlikely to yet have that connection with everyone & losing players every week isn’t going to help that, especially when you look at the likes of Brady, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Rothlisburger etc, who have all been at their franchises for years & developed their relationships with their offence.

That said, we have seemingly spent the last couple of seasons concentrating on the O & D lines & the defence in general & I think this was generally done because of how much of the budget Cousins was taking up & now that mini soap opera has been sorted, I expect us to start concentrating on game changers in the next couple of years, Peterson has been great for us but there is no future in him & I’d be very surprised if we weren’t in the running for Bell if / when he becomes available as the Steelers are currently in a similar situation to us with Cousins but they have seemingly already found their replacement for Bell in Conner so I can see Bell being available.

I’d hazard a guess that we have a fair bit of wiggle room available to us with regards to budget & there is plenty of room to discard a few other offensive players to make room in the roster for one or two standouts if required.

We’re definitely a team heading in the right direction, it just depends on how quickly they decide to go for it & just how ambitious those in charge are?

You've got me feeling positive Tipps!  (prob get done by the Giants now)

Well my 2nd favourite win of the season has happened for the Skins, beating the (not so Giant) Giants, the only thing better is beating the Cowboys & that achievement has already occurred this season & while it’s great to se Peterson performing so well, how long can he continue at this rate?

We only had 3 fit RB’s for today, a serious injury to Peterson could see some fundamental damage done!!

4 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Got some pretty tough games coming up, Tipps - but you do have the satisfaction of playing the 'Boys and the Giants again.

Yeah, the advantage is we have a bit of a cushion in our division now but unless we start getting some players back (which looks unlikely), we’re going to burn out our most affective OAP & we could end up in trouble. Just hoping we can trade someone in.

Surprised to hear that The Browns have sacked Hue Jackson, fair enough he was given a long time in respect of the results he achieved but let’s be honest, for 2 seasons he had an absolutely terrible team & now he has one that’s started to become competitive, they sack him!

They give him the time to build something & just when they start to see results of that build, he’s gone. Yes there are murmurs of in house squabbling but he has seen the turnaround & they seemed like they had a brighter future. I just hope this move doesn’t put them back a few years & they carry on trying to build their roster around Baker Mayfield or will the new guy in charge go back to the shorter term fix of Tyrod Taylor? I’d be sticking with Mayfield personally.

24 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Surprised to hear that The Browns have sacked Hue Jackson, fair enough he was given a long time in respect of the results he achieved but let’s be honest, for 2 seasons he had an absolutely terrible team & now he has one that’s started to become competitive, they sack him!

They give him the time to build something & just when they start to see results of that build, he’s gone. Yes there are murmurs of in house squabbling but he has seen the turnaround & they seemed like they had a brighter future. I just hope this move doesn’t put them back a few years & they carry on trying to build their roster around Baker Mayfield or will the new guy in charge go back to the shorter term fix of Tyrod Taylor? I’d be sticking with Mayfield personally.

Listened to a couple of podcasts on the way to work this morning about it. Sounds like Haslam wanted to keep Jackson and wanted shot of Haley, and vice versa for Dorsey. It's the Browns going full Browns! Jackson was lucky to hang on as long as he did, be interesting to see who's next. I can't see the lovely (!) Gregg Williams being the long term answer. Lots of talk about Lincoln Riley (Mayfield's HC at Oklahoma) may be the man. Only 36 years old though, so not a lot of experience. Apparently Mayfield wanted Jackson gone too

Bucs will be next, Koetter must be a dead man walking with his QB roulette going on

5 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Listened to a couple of podcasts on the way to work this morning about it. Sounds like Haslam wanted to keep Jackson and wanted shot of Haley, and vice versa for Dorsey. It's the Browns going full Browns! Jackson was lucky to hang on as long as he did, be interesting to see who's next. I can't see the lovely (!) Gregg Williams being the long term answer. Lots of talk about Lincoln Riley (Mayfield's HC at Oklahoma) may be the man. Only 36 years old though, so not a lot of experience. Apparently Mayfield wanted Jackson gone too

Bucs will be next, Koetter must be a dead man walking with his QB roulette going on

Wow, Mayfield is already having some influence?

I agree that Jackson was lucky to stay for as long as he did but seeing as he got them through the worst, I would of just expected him to get at least this season, they’ve been unlucky with a few results.

I guess they now need to decide how they want to develop as a franchise.

19 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Wow, Mayfield is already having some influence?

I agree that Jackson was lucky to stay for as long as he did but seeing as he got them through the worst, I would of just expected him to get at least this season, they’ve been unlucky with a few results.

I guess they now need to decide how they want to develop as a franchise.

I think Haslam has to take a step back and let Dorsey do his thing. He's proved in Green Bay he can sort his staff out. Unfortunately, as it's Cleveland, I'm sure it won't happen! As you say, they could be at least two wins better off, should've beaten the Saints and the Bucs

16 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Happy to see The Skins picking up Ha Ha Clinton Dix (who names their kid Ha Ha?) on deadline day. A really good signing but it’s on the wrong side of the ball for me.

Surprised to see Thomas leave Denver & Tate leave Detroit mind.

Not his real name, from memory it's one of those brilliant made up names that a lot of these kids have like Ha'Darrell, or something similar. It's a great nickname though!

Thomas I can only see as a salary dump, Denver will want to shed that and get younger. Tate I guess is a cheap hire for Philly. Wouldn't bet against both being on different teams come next September

How the hell the Rams can keep spending is beyond me. I'm not sure Fowler will ever show us what a great player he could be, but not a bad pick up if it works out at all

14 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Rams - what a side they have there

Saints - win the SB

Serving up an offensive storm tonight! Gutsy call for the fake field goal by the Rams and a rough call for the first down means the game is sliding into Brees's hands.

Say @EmersonsRed, don't you rate the Chiefs?

5 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Serving up an offensive storm tonight! Gutsy call for the fake field goal by the Rams and a rough call for the first down means the game is sliding into Brees's hands.

Say @EmersonsRed, don't you rate the Chiefs?

I don't think they can stop the offensive juggernauts they may face on the way to it. They're a great side with a potentially v special QB but defensively in a one off game there are several sides who could get them IMO

There's something in the air now. Is it the great smell of play-offs? Teams are starting to flex their muscles and the hitting is getting harder; the players are getting a little more 'enthusiastic' when it comes to making a statement. I love it. :devil:

Archived