IGNORED

LJ - Has he learnt from last season?

old_eastender

3 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Rate Dean Smith far higher than LJ working wonders at Brentford

Walsh and Taylor clearly made little to no impression thus far. Kelly more likely to get consistent minutes.

It does not have to be drastic increase just more minutes. Looked as if Moore was trusted more through preseason. Walsh also had good moments and I would look to him to come off the bench a bit more. Kelly agree should get plenty. With this season feeling like an average midtable season, why not blood the youth who will help us succeed in the upcoming seasons? Need a balance for sure but those 3 are more likely to help Bristol City to promotion than some of the current starters imo. 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You miss my point

If Brentford do well this season I think it will be Smith riding along with Brentford’s set up and infrastructure not because he gets the top end out of players or is tactically clever etc

The best managers make the very best of the bag of tools they’re handed and successful ones (a la Warnock) absolutely do

Agree. Only argument I have is that I rate Brentford’s recruitment much higher than ours(for whatever reason don’t want that argument). At current, Smith gets better tools than LJ imo. Even if we as fans would have signed many of their team. Though possibly London helps them recruit. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It does not have to be drastic increase just more minutes. Looked as if Moore was trusted more through preseason. Walsh also had good moments and I would look to him to come off the bench a bit more. Kelly agree should get plenty. With this season feeling like an average midtable season, why not blood the youth who will help us succeed in the upcoming seasons? Need a balance for sure but those 3 are more likely to help Bristol City to promotion than some of the current starters imo. 

Personally not excited by Moore or Walsh long term.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’m not convinced yet Joe it’s going to be a ‘average mid table season’ to give us lots of luxury time on player development

A small part of me thinks if we pulled it all together, maintained our press all season and a couple of individuals have a Stella season we could threaten the top six

The largest chunk of me says mid table possibly lower mid table but the middle largest is concern this season may be a battle

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree. Only argument I have is that I rate Brentford’s recruitment much higher than ours(for whatever reason don’t want that argument). At current, Smith gets better tools than LJ imo. Even if we as fans would have signed many of their team. Though possibly London helps them recruit. 

Guess what I’m trying to explain Joe is if I was a Championship Chairman looking for a manager would LJ or Dean Smith be prominent on my jot pad at the moment 

No 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You miss my point

If Brentford do well this season I think it will be Smith riding along with Brentford’s set up and infrastructure not because he gets the top end out of players or is tactically clever etc

The best managers make the very best of the bag of tools they’re handed and successful ones (a la Warnock) absolutely do

trouble is @Bob Bob Super Bob after he has got you up you should get rid of him and then get a premiership manager.

21 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I do appreciate the need for consistency in performances however I would say removing the bad runs are a basic expectation rather than progress. 

Finishing 10th would be progress because it is consolidation and an improvement, realisticly a good season for us is around tjere as we do not have the quality to go much higher imo.

For what its worth I get the impression the excitement of our games will be reduced this season.

So you’d consider 10th progress and 12th failure? There could be as little as 1 point between it. 

Surely, as a self certified academic operating on a higher intellectual plane than us mere mortals, you can appreciate that progress could be made without necessarily achieving a higher league position. And vice versa we could regress in some areas whilst achieving a slight higher finish. 

1 minute ago, reddoh said:

trouble is @Bob Bob Super Bob after he has got you up you should get rid of him and then get a premiership manager.

That’s muted a lot

But if you arnt going to spend on quality (Cardiff have spent less than half Wolves had and about 1/4 of what Fulham have) 

Keep Warnock as he’s one of a very few who will give you a chance of bridging the gap and surviving

If you’re going to spend then as a ruthless decision It may be worth considering

IMHO

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So you’d consider 10th progress and 12th failure? There could be as little as 1 point between it. 

Surely, as a self certified academic operating on a higher intellectual plane than us mere mortals, you can appreciate that progress could be made without necessarily achieving a higher league position. And vice versa we could regress in some areas whilst achieving a slight higher finish. 

You state the obvious. But from a too simplistic perspective. 

Yep I do, as does SL as he stated in his interview. 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m not convinced yet Joe it’s going to be a ‘average mid table season’ to give us lots of luxury time on player development

A small part of me thinks if we pulled it all together, maintained our press all season and a couple of individuals have a Stella season we could threaten the top six

The largest chunk of me says mid table possibly lower mid table but the middle largest is concern this season may be a battle

It is tough because you aren’t mathematically safe or out of top 6 with a 65 point season until about 4-5 games left. Got to weigh up risk and reward. Too early to do anything now anyway. Just need to keep working on integrating everyone for now

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Guess what I’m trying to explain Joe is if I was a Championship Chairman looking for a manager would LJ or Dean Smith be prominent on my jot pad at the moment 

No 

Ironically Joe 

And whatever the score today ,

one Id look at if LJ walked tomorrow will be on the opposition bench today

3 hours ago, arpaul said:

You can't use the injury situation as an excuse.

We we're down to the bare bones before Christmas and performances/results were outstanding. 

As for the wrong Johnson, I can't be arsed to set you off on another Johnson Senior rant. 

Injuries and the returning players was a factor in the slump in form but the biggest reason was the cup run and the psychological effect it had on the squad.

Sub consciously none of them would want to miss out on such huge TV games and that would have certainly effected their performances in Championship matches.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Injuries and the returning players was a factor in the slump in form but the biggest reason was the cup run and the psychological effect it had on the squad.

Sub consciously none of them would want to miss out on such huge TV games and that would have certainly effected their performances in Championship matches.

No the biggest reason is that we became sloppy and didn't have the bollocks to get it back.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The majority of the  demise came after the cup run I thought (with the various other clues)  and Ashton’s interview (If truthful) was quite revealing 

A few clearly before January  wanted out and  off the back of the cup run publicity saw this was their opportipunity to get out 

It was clear to all the squad that some key elements were packing their bags and putting their house up for sale 

For that reason alone - No wonder we faltered 

Irinically though I would say two of the three of Flint , Reid and Bryan provided the most effort of the starting elevens

More a worry should be its the ones that are still here that didnt

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A few clearly before January  wanted out and  off the back of the cup run publicity saw this was their opportipunity to get out 

Of course. The cup run raised the profile of Bristol City and our players. The tv coverage definitely raised the profile of Bryan,Reid and Flint and has led to them  moving on.

Well done to Reid and Bryan for joining two PL clubs but I’m a little surprised at Flint joining Boro.....could only have been financially motivated.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course. The cup run raised the profile of Bristol City and our players. The tv coverage definitely raised the profile of Bryan,Reid and Flint and has led to them  moving on.

Well done to Reid and Bryan for joining two PL clubs but I’m a little surprised at Flint joining Boro.....could only have been financially motivated.

Think you will find Flint will be in the Premier League next season and one of the contract runners won’t 

Never look past your nose do ya

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think you will find Flint will be in the Premier League next season and one of the contract runners won’t 

Never look past your nose do ya

You reckon Boro are promotion favourites? They could be I guess but I take very little notice of the odds. I guess Vila’s are amongst the favourites as well.  

So... you predict that either Cardiff or Fulham will get relegated?  I’m not convinced about that either.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You reckon Boro are promotion favourites? They could be I guess but I take very little notice of the odds. I guess Vila’s are amongst the favourites as well.  

So... you predict that either Cardiff or Fulham will get relegated?  I’m not convinced about that either.

I’d suggest it’s also worryingly clear that  Flint wanted out asap as long as it was a improvement and was happy not to wait around all summer to see what options appeared 

Like signing the contract , at least he didn’t mess around all summer and gave us the time and funds to replace him

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d suggest it’s also worryingly clear that  Flint wanted out asap as long as it was a improvement and was happy not to wait around all summer to see what options appeared 

Like signing the contract , at least he didn’t mess around all summer and gave us the time and funds to replace him

But that's exactly what he DID do at start of last season

25 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Ok will let him off this time! Could be a really good confidence booster for him COYR

1 hour ago, dave36 said:

Kept quiet earlier, note that the prodigal did start, when will LJ’s love affair with Patterson end?

Yes Pato scored equaliser, well taken goal too, but that aside he really contributed very little, just like against Forest. If we could have provided real support for Wiemann we could have had the game won in the first half. 

Archived