IGNORED

Bolton Wanderers v Bristol City Match Day 2

Over recent seasons there have been very barren pickings indeed for City from the newly named University of Bolton Stadium. Dean Holden interestingly and forthrightly saying he felt they had every chance of winning the match. Bolton Wanderers were actually Holden's very first club. The left or centre back journeyman had no fewer than 10 clubs including a short loan stint at Valur of Iceland while still at Bolton; I did not see him participating in the Icelandic clap while Magnússon was at the club; clearly such 'trends' came much later.

Dean Holden's time at Bolton was relatively short and he left 16 years ago to join Oldham Athletic. Nevertheless he may have a tinge of nostalgia when going back.

I have said it before and no doubt I will say it again that Bolton are the second most recognisable example, for me, of a club that 'hit a ceiling' in the Premier League then bottled it. The now infamous discussions Sam Allardyce had with the then Chairman Phil Gartside. Of course Sam was perhaps not party to the building debts underwritten by then owner Eddie Davies so it was a scenario destined to force Gartside's hand in not agreeing to the purchase of players Sam wanted to guide the club into a regular top 6 team. He left and within a season they were down and, so far, have not returned. The club were £172 million in debt at one time. Hard to fathom but true.

That Bolton remained in the top flight for 11 seasons is remarkable testament to both chairman and manager although they may have got their sums disastrously wrong along the way and Davies seemed asleep at the wheel and unable to prevent it.

Today City should, at least on paper, have enough but we often lose matches when we underestimate the opposing team; that happened in the same venue last season as I recall. It will, therefore, be very satisfying to win today.

Good day all.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Over recent seasons there have been very barren pickings indeed for City from the newly named University of Bolton Stadium. Dean Holden interestingly and forthrightly saying he felt they had every chance of winning the match. Bolton Wanderers were actually Holden's very first club. The left or centre back journeyman had no fewer than 10 clubs including a short loan stint at Valur of Iceland while still at Bolton; I did not see him participating in the Icelandic clap while Magnússon was at the club; clearly such 'trends' came much later.

Dean Holden's time at Bolton was relatively short and he left 16 years ago to join Oldham Athletic. Nevertheless he may have a tinge of nostalgia when going back.

I have said it before and no doubt I will say it again that Bolton are the second most recognisable example, for me, of a club that 'hit a ceiling' in the Premier League then bottled it. The now infamous discussions Sam Allardyce had with the then Chairman Phil Gartside. Of course Sam was perhaps not party to the building debts underwritten by then owner Eddie Davies so it was a scenario destined to force Gartside's hand in not agreeing to the purchase of players Sam wanted to guide the club into a regular top 6 team. He left and within a season they were down and, so far, have not returned. The club were £172 million in debt at one time. Hard to fathom but true.

That Bolton remained in the top flight for 11 seasons is remarkable testament to both chairman and manager although they may have got their sums disastrously wrong along the way and Davies seemed asleep at the wheel and unable to prevent it.

Today City should, at least on paper, have enough but we often lose matches when we underestimate the opposing team; that happened in the same venue last season as I recall. It will, therefore, be very satisfying to win today.

Good day all.

Hi H , I doubt anyone will underestimate The Trotters after they beat newly relegated West Brom in their opening match at the Hawthorns, luckily for us as it puts us on our guard a bit more.

They have had an unsettled off season with players on strike in protest at unpaid wages for certain colleagues although this seems to have been resolved.

They are most people's favourites for relegation but as we all know in this crazy division they could equally finish up in the play offs and find themselves back in the Prem .

They have some experienced players and won't roll over for us . We will need to see hunger and determination from our boys if we are to get anything up in Lancashire. 

This will be a good test of character for the new signings and we will see if our recruitment was as good as the club say by 5 o'clock tonight.

I think we'll snatch a point.

Bravo to the traveling Red Army .

Sing up me babbers.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

So - Bolton just won at WBA and the consensus is we should have enough to win?

We haven't won a league game away this year. We have a terrible record up there too. I will be pleased with a point personally.

I'm afraid I have to agree. A point is probably more likely and may well become a feature of our season. We haven't won an away game in 14 matches so a win today would be a massive pick-me-up.

12 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

We haven't won a league game away this year. We have a terrible record up there too. I will be pleased with a point personally.

I know this probably means nothing but a baggies fan in work went to the game. Said that both sides were very poor. Bolton stuck 10 men behind the ball and counted on set pieces. 

I would hope we would have enough to get past them but in the league you never know. 

2 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

I know this probably means nothing but a baggies fan in work went to the game. Said that both sides were very poor. Bolton stuck 10 men behind the ball and counted on set pieces. 

I would hope we would have enough to get past them but in the league you never know. 

Being first home game of the season they will have to attack us, so hopefully will leave plenty of space for us to exploit. We should have a pacey mobile line up so as long as we are resolute at the back, I think we will have chances to win the game. It can't be much more of a damp squib than last season *.

(*Disclaimer: Only watched on tv, so feel to contradict me if you were there.)

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good day all.

Good day H so here we are a week later and still there is nothing which elaborates upon ‘reflections of other interesting subject matters’......the anticipation mounts.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

I do not see any consensus unless you mean a consensus of 1. And i did say on paper we should win... Why we rarely seem to at Bolton remains a mystery.

20 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Nice intro @havanatopia. Do I detect a change of style for this season? You seem to have moved away from the Michael (Denzil Xavier) Portillo travelogue theme and onto a more football focused style. 

Style is currently in formulation liquidizer!

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Good day H so here we are a week later and still there is nothing which elaborates upon ‘reflections of other interesting subject matters’......the anticipation mounts.

Well remembered squire... Per above its still in the melting pot!

36 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Nice intro @havanatopia. Do I detect a change of style for this season? You seem to have moved away from the Michael (Denzil Xavier) Portillo travelogue theme and onto a more football focused style. 

My theory is @havanatopia is so knackered from the repeated exertions following his recent marriage that his new has wife stepped in and done the match preview while he has a well earned solitary lie in. :sleeping:  ? 

• Haha 2
37 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I do not see any consensus unless you mean a consensus of 1. And i did say on paper we should win... Why we rarely seem to at Bolton remains a mystery.

Based on comments I've seen on other threads too. Probably just the optimists posting. I do tend to be one of the pessimists and expect the worst.

I'm not sure what effect losing 5 from the squad will have and how good the new players will be. 

Hope the lads give me a nice surprise today. COYR.

6 minutes ago, ... said:

DIY and decorating is really tiring.

His wife is not English and I'm not sure young Filipino women have the same obsession in tiring out their new husbands in that way.

If my theory is correct then imo. the chances are high that Hav. is slumbering very contentedly indeed, with not a paintbrush in sight. :yes:

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Can’t disagree with being pleased with a point, but if previous records (i.e. us not winning away in 14) meant anything, then Bolton should have had no right to win last weekend, as had won something like one away game in a year, or similar.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'm afraid I have to agree. A point is probably more likely and may well become a feature of our season. We haven't won an away game in 14 matches so a win today would be a massive pick-me-up.

With the number it new players (or at least new regulars to the first team squad) it’s hard to know if last season’s records mean much to them, or if this is a great start, and I do hope we go all out for it today, as the biggest criticism I could level at us when we played at Bolton last year is we let them bring it to us.

After last season's excruciatingly disappointing performance at Bolton I'm quite prepared for another let - down.

Let's hope LJ picks a decent team - with accompanying masterful and assertive tactics - that goes there with genuine fire in their bellies, or defeat beckons again imo.