IGNORED

Bolton Wanderers v Bristol City Match Day 2

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

There were some positives, we controlled the game in the first half, with only a couple of snapshots from Josh and an over hit cross against the woodwork to show for it, because of no real support for Weimann who was working his socks off again.

The frustration is it's a game we should won, Taylor in the No.10 role instead of Pato , or Eisa alongside Weimann and we probably could have turned our 70% possession in the first half into goals.

A much fairer assessment. We controlled both halves bar a terrible short spell in the second IMO. 

Lack of end product was disappointing but I see plenty of evidence that when the new boys bed in a bit more, and Diedhiou is back, we’ll get better. 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

To be fair we’re never going to out-head Bolton are we. We’re not that kind of team, and obviously the threat of Flint has been removed. 

Why not? Zero bravery in the box in the air today. I think Watkins might get a few though, he looks a warrior to me. We were told that we were recruiting leaders. He and Hunt look like they might step up in that regard. We need Pack to get more vocal to add to his game. He certainly leads by example at the moment though.

Edited by The Original OTIB
grammar
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Watched

And cannot recall a worthwhile chance before we went 2-0 down, you must agree that as soon as we went 2-0  down and started to inject some pace and playing with passion instead of the boring, negative, languid getting nowhere things improve WTF wait until we are 2-0 down?, Paterson (the goal apart) was poor yet again, Bolton were shit, our final ball, crossing, free kicks, corners and long balls were poor all day and the facts about LJ are irrefutable.

What was harsh?

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Why not? Zero bravery in the box in the air today. I think Watkins might get a few though, he looks a warrior to me. We were told that we were recruiting leaders. He and Hunt look like they might step up on that regard. We need Pack to get more vocal to add to his game. He certainly leads by example at the moment though.

We don’t have many big players? I wouldn’t say we have zero bravery, simply that it was always going to be an uphill battle trying to beat Bolton on physicality alone. 

Agree on Watkins I thought he looked excellent (despite reading on here that he was useless and a wasted signing before he’d kicked a ball) 

Hunt looks great with the ball going forwards. 

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And cannot recall a worthwhile chance before we went 2-0 down, you must agree that as soon as we went 2-0  down and started to inject some pace and playing with passion instead of the boring, negative, languid getting nowhere things improve WTF wait until we are 2-0 down?, Paterson (the goal apart) was poor yet again, Bolton were shit, our final ball, crossing, free kicks, corners and long balls were poor all day and the facts about LJ are irrefutable.

What was harsh?

The fact that you basically said we were awful which we weren’t. Bar one really poor spell we were completely dominant in both halves and never looked under threat. We weren’t clinical enough given the amount of the ball we had, I agree, but we’re also without our main striker so that’s not altogether surprising, is it? 

Of course there are always going to be things to be improved on, and we’re not always going to get what we deserve out of games. But I saw many more positives than negatives. Some people love to fixate only on the negatives and that’s their prerogative. 

I agree that Paterson was poor. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Baker shocking on the corner, watched the ball go by for the second then inexplicably jumped over nothing! Bizarre...

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11470177/bolton-2-2-bristol-city

Baker really confuses me. At times he looks quality and other times it’s like he genuinely can’t even be bothered to try. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not too unhappy- 2-0 down to 2-2, it's a point gained in that sense. We lost at Bolton last year, FWIW.

Sounds like we were shaky at the back- considering the churn, plus the absences of Frankie and Diddhiou however we will improve I think.

Bolton are not a good side by any stretch, but they are one of those who if anything like last season are horrible to play against. Listening on radio, sounded like the chance Eisa missed at the end was gilt edged...

On early evidence, don't think we'll go down but nor will we threaten the top 6 too much.

Actually I don't think we were shaky at all.

We kept them shut out the whole first half, and they scored from their only real chances in the second.

The 1st goal - attacker outmuscles defender at corner. 2nd a series of little errors and concentration lapse. What the sky highlights don't show is the freekick given away played quickly just before the goal with the one moment in the game of all round general confusion.

I don't remember them troubling our goal much other than that, maybe one cross/shot saved by the keeper - who I thought looked pretty solid, especially with ball at feet. One particular pass out the back under a bit of pressure sent us quickly away to create a good chance up the other end.

Edited by Alessandro
2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

We kept them shut out the whole first half, and they scored from their only real chances in the second.

The 1st goal - attacker outmuscles defender at corner. 2nd a series of little errors and concentration lapse.

I don't remember them troubling our goal much other than that, maybe one cross/shot saved by the keeper - who I thought looked pretty solid, especially with ball at feet. One particular pass out the back under a bit of pressure sent us quickly away to create a good chance up the other end.

Out-muscled? Baker literally stands off and watches him until the last second when it's too late. Dreadful; and the watching and skip for the second... jeez....

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11470177/bolton-2-2-bristol-city

At 2-0 down you'd have to be happy with the point, but that we were ever in the position of needing to come back was criminal given how the game had gone up to that point. 2 awful goals to concede.

Paterson was largely anonymous but came up with the goal when it mattered. Weimann never stopped working and was making some great runs in the first half that we couldn't pick out. Liked the look of Watkins when he came on.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We had only one remnant of last season's back five but still cannot defend any better than a team of eight year old. 

According to commentary, best defender was Kelly who will probably lose his place Dasilva. 

3/10. Must do better. 

Given we have conceded two matches running from Baker being outjumped, perhaps when DaSilva fit, Kelly (who looked best defender on the pitch) could play in his preferred CB role instead of Baker...

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

The 1st goal - attacker outmuscles defender at corner. 2nd a series of little errors and concentration lapse. What the sky highlights don't show is the freekick given away played quickly just before the goal with the one moment in the game of all round general confusion.

Read a thread that said we were terrible defensively- however thanks, your assessment puts me a bit more at ease.

Dunno if it's a good or bad sign that 2 goals conceded from 2 shots on target. Or just one of those things maybe.

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

Out-muscled? Baker literally stands off and watches him until the last second when it's too late. Dreadful; and the watching and skip for the second... jeez....

Turn of phrase. Either way, what I meant was he lost his battle with Buckley. You need your defenders to win their duels every corner.

IIRC just before the second goal, Brownhill put Baker in trouble at the back. He fouled under pressure. Starting protesting with the ref. It was taken quickly. So he was out of position, still poor though.

I'll look again but that Pack should have got his laces through the cross though.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We had only one remnant of last season's back five but still cannot defend any better than a team of eight year old. 

According to commentary, best defender was Kelly who will probably lose his place Dasilva. 

3/10. Must do better. 

I'd say the defense continues to be a concern.

But it is a mostly new back line and takes a bit of time for them to know each other's game.

In an ideal world you don't change 4 of your back 5 in one summer. And given Bryan was playing in pre season, him leaving was only something that came about very late on in the window.

Things might not get better defensively, but I'd suggest they are more likely to improve than to get worse.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'd say the defense continues to be a concern.

But it is a mostly new back line and takes a bit of time for them to know each other's game.

In an ideal world you don't change 4 of your back 5 in one summer. And given Bryan was playing in pre season, him leaving was only something that came about very late on in the window.

Things might not get better defensively, but I'd suggest they are more likely to improve than to get worse.

New guys aren't the problem. Baker is.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

At 2-0 down you'd have to be happy with the point, but that we were ever in the position of needing to come back was criminal given how the game had gone up to that point. 2 awful goals to concede.

Paterson was largely anonymous but came up with the goal when it mattered. Weimann never stopped working and was making some great runs in the first half that we couldn't pick out. Liked the look of Watkins when he came on.

According to DH , had a ripped boot and foot injury early in game but kept going for us despite struggling

Like his attitude

Very solid signing 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 6
4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Read a thread that said we were terrible defensively- however thanks, your assessment puts me a bit more at ease.

Dunno if it's a good or bad sign that 2 goals conceded from 2 shots on target. Or just one of those things maybe.

Time will tell. But I actually thought we were more street wise today and controlled the ball very well. They didn't have us under the cosh for more than 5 or 10 minutes, and away from home that is decent going. 

I'm not saying we were superb, but I think it's easy to see 2 goals conceded and think, uh-oh, defence is an issue. But actually I'm not sure that was a fair reflection. They had 31% possession and 2 shots on target and never really got a foot hold in the game in term's of possession or pressure IMO.

• Like 1