IGNORED

Our defending!!

BCFC1512

35 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Consistent in a poor defence. The stats don't lie - we conceded more than most over the last couple of seasons.

35 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Consistent in a poor defence. The stats don't lie - we conceded more than most over the last couple of seasons.

A poor defence that’s got new personel and, guess what, still looks poor.... the problem might lie elsewhere. 

Not saying Webster is poor, but we miss Flint IMO.

Flint and Webster would have complimented each other I feel. I know, I know finances, potential buyout clause as alluded to pm here (though interestingly I watched the Mark Ashton thing twice today and he said nothing about it). Commercial confidentiality? :dunno:

Regardless though, it would have been very good that pair, even if not necessarily possible in reality.

Baker? Out the firing line for a bit, or does he just need shipping out?

8 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Do you mean flint? He’s been replaced but not a like for like replacement. There’s a lack of steel, presence in that defence. Wright will help. He’s an organiser. 

No see where you are coming from, but meant Baker not replaced and left from last season

10 hours ago, Dylan said:

What's happened to baker ? 

For me, he was absolute class a rolls Royce of a defender until the qpr game and since he's been a silver shadow of himself.

Corrected

10 hours ago, Super said:

Baker has been crap since he signed permanently. Tempted to play Wright if he doesnt improve.

That’s not true.  He was excellent first half of last season, but never came back from the qpr red card anything like he was up til then.  I really rate a 100% focussed and fit Baker....but he seems to be coasting through games.  Would pick Wright if fit and tell Baker to buck his ideas up.

I think the way we set up puts a lot of pressure on our CB's. The full backs push up high and are encouraged to get forward often. We don't play with an out and out DM to offer protection in front of them and we haven't had a keeper who dominates their area and sweeps up behind. So one or both of them are often pulled out of position to cover runners or to fill in for a fill back who hasn't got back yet. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Corrected

That’s not true.  He was excellent first half of last season, but never came back from the qpr red card anything like he was up til then.  I really rate a 100% focussed and fit Baker....but he seems to be coasting through games.  Would pick Wright if fit and tell Baker to buck his ideas up.

Crap was prob the wrong word but i dont think he has been as good as when he was here on loan.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t agree with that, I thought he was immense at times last season and was a better all-round defender than Flint in the last campaign...

Why did he skip over an imaginary obstacle yesterday, 00:44 onwards:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11470177/bolton-2-2-bristol-city

1 minute ago, The Original OTIB said:

No, I'm asking why he skipped over an imaginary obstacle.

A totally irrelevant response to my reply to the poster (who said Baker has been crap since he signed permanently) saying I thought Baker was immense at times last season and was a better all round defender than Flint in the previous campaign...

16 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Acceptable should replace great! 

Adequate seems about right to me; slightly lower praise I think than yours.

15 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I wouldn''t be surprised if we're seeing Baker's last season at AG.

From what I have seen of him and the reports it would be best to replace him in January if possible... Doubt it is though. Like to see if Wright is any better in that position asap.

15 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I'd say from 2-0 very good should replace great.

Should never have been 2 down in the first so if u are judging the entire game it was borderline adequate.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A totally irrelevant response to my reply to the poster (who said Baker has been crap since he signed permanently) saying I thought Baker was immense at times last season and was a better all round defender than Flint in the previous campaign...

Not wholly irrelevant since the question does concern Baker. He is inconsistent but can be good. If you watch again, he sticks his left hand up first and the skip emphasises his utter surprise (and perhaps shock) that the ball is in his vicinity. I can only think that he has major concentration lapses. Yes, every player can be prone to that, but his are often quite dramatic (as the skip evidences). How do you coach focus and concentration? I don't actually know, to be honest. Peripheral vision training might help (I'm not joking by the way). Martial arts are good for this, for example.

40 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Should never have been 2 down in the first so if u are judging the entire game it was borderline adequate.

Maybe, but you get times in games where you don't deserve the scoreline. As I said though, from 2-0 it's a good result, could easily capitulated after the last 20 odds games.

50 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Not wholly irrelevant since the question does concern Baker. He is inconsistent but can be good. If you watch again, he sticks his left hand up first and the skip emphasises his utter surprise (and perhaps shock) that the ball is in his vicinity. I can only think that he has major concentration lapses. Yes, every player can be prone to that, but his are often quite dramatic (as the skip evidences). How do you coach focus and concentration? I don't actually know, to be honest. Peripheral vision training might help (I'm not joking by the way). Martial arts are good for this, for example.

I wonder if Baker is playing without confidence because he knows that as soon as Wright is fit, he will only be on the bench. 

The other factor that strikes me, is that neither Webster and Baker are first ball winners like Flint is. That considerably alters the dynamics of our back four and how we adjust and overcome it will define our season defensively. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thought we defended quite well as a team v Forest, especially the last 20 min.

Suprised no-one has mentioned Maenpaa for the two goals, thought he could've done better with both. Particularly the second which appeared to go under him.  His reactions looked slow after a good performance last week.

Would need to see the goals again, but I thought the first one was deflected by the Bolton player after Wheater’s header, otherwise he’d have saved it comfortably.

The second one was one where the player has shifted the ball right, so he’s started to move left, but Magennis then hits it back the other way through legs.  Poor defending imho to allow Magennis that much space.

Will look again though.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would need to see the goals again, but I thought the first one was deflected by the Bolton player after Wheater’s header, otherwise he’d have saved it comfortably.

The second one was one where the player has shifted the ball right, so he’s started to move left, but Magennis then hits it back the other way through legs.  Poor defending imho to allow Magennis that much space.

Will look again though.

@Kid in the Riot just watched it back.

First one definitely as I said above.  Mäenpää has the initial header well covered, but the Bolton player then changes the direction of the ball.

Second one, was Baker caught in the middle of the park initially.  God knows why he didn’t try to intercept the initial cross, but then too much space.  You might if you were being critical say Mäenpää was slow to get down.

Weimann’s goal....awful marking, but maybe Weimann was clever to split their CBs (like Hogan did for Brentford vs us), so that one thought he was gonna get passed-on, but Weimann didn’t continue his run.  Good touch and cool finish.

Oh, Matty Taylor, right at the end....just square it for Eisa.  Don’t try to beat the bloke.

Our prob has and always has been the centre of midfield, they don’t track back and they don’t help out at the back,

there is no tackling outside the 18 yard box 

until that is fixed we’ll continue to leak goals

hasnt been addressed for 3 years now, we’ve never replace Elliot (wade and Marvin)

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Kid in the Riot just watched it back.

First one definitely as I said above.  Mäenpää has the initial header well covered, but the Bolton player then changes the direction of the ball.

Second one, was Baker caught in the middle of the park initially.  God knows why he didn’t try to intercept the initial cross, but then too much space.  You might if you were being critical say Mäenpää was slow to get down.

Baker and Pack seemed to leave the cross for each other. For me Pack should have leathered that away. 

In terms of Mäenpää - I agree with you, you could say he could have reacted quicker, but the way I see it is this: the shot came from basically on the penalty spot, so imagine a penalty. A low penalty with pace 9/10 beats the keeper, and that's with them preparing to dive and not off balance, as he seemed to be committing the other way.

Weimann’s goal....awful marking, but maybe Weimann was clever to split their CBs (like Hogan did for Brentford vs us), so that one thought he was gonna get passed-on, but Weimann didn’t continue his run.  Good touch and cool finish.

Oh, Matty Taylor, right at the end....just square it for Eisa.  Don’t try to beat the bloke.

Archived