IGNORED

Jamie Paterson - Our trump card

Londoner

The fact is despite 2 apparently average performances from JP this season there is no doubt that he has something that no one else seems to in this squad....real creativity.

A good goal all be it with some rubbish inbetween, but he gets into forward positions and creates opportunities that others seem to struggle with.....does need to improve his final ball and consistency

Let's be clear, without him we would be a far weaker side.

Credit to LJ for seeing this and keeping him on when it would have been easy to take him off. He has a sprinkle of stardust that others in this squad do not have.

A very important player for us....average performances so far this season or not.

4 minutes ago, Londoner said:

The fact is despite 2 apparently average performances from JP this season there is no doubt that he has something that no one else seems to in this squad....real creativity.

A good goal all be it with some rubbish inbetween, but he gets into forward positions and creates opportunities that others seem to struggle with.....does need to improve his final ball and consistency

Let's be clear, without him we would be a far weaker side.

Credit to LJ for seeing this and keeping him on when it would have been easy to take him off. He has a sprinkle of stardust that others in this squad do not have.

A very important player for us....average performances so far this season or not.

70%p possession in the first half and 1 shot on target shows we lacked creativity so how you have come to your conclusion baffles me. 

Agreed. He is the only player in this squad that can play as that real creative no.10 though would not mind seeing brownhill given a chanc in that role. However when he plays poorly he plays REALLY poorly and in those games you may have to sacrifice the small chance he’ll have a moment of magic for a player that may actually contribute 

He looked like he was just about to be taken off when he popped up with the equaliser. Eisa and Taylor were on the sidelines waiting to be brought on but Johnson probably wanted to wait until we defended the corner. Then we race down the other end and Jamie scores a fantastic leveller.

As mentioned above he offers moments of brilliance or wastes it in equal measure. He had created a great chance for himself just before that by completely bamboozling two players and then dragging it well wide. Shame about the free kick he blazed over when Eisa and Taylor had come on and were waiting in the box. He's that kind of player that offers the x factor, something a little different. While he can be frustrating (e.g. given the ball away needlessly against Forest a few times) he also can be the difference in a tight game. I guess it's up to LJ to recognise when he's not on it. We have plenty of attacking midfield/wing options available now.

46 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I actually agree with you here. Pretty difficult to sub him even when playing badly because he could pop up with something at any moment.

Coukd be a key player for us if he develops more consistency.

If a manager is in the situation where he thinks like that about a player of his quality then his squad isn't strong enough. He's skilful and creative but utterly unreliable and about as useful as a fireguard on a motorbike when he has to defend.  

He's running out of chances I reckon, despite the new contract. He can't keep turning in shite performances and expect to retain his place in the starting 11, especially not when we have plenty of other options. A goal once in a blue moon isn't enough and that one today looked like the 'keeper had a hand in it to me.

Diedhiou can't come back soon enough and in the meantime I'd be tempted to try Eisa up top with Weimann to give us more of a physical presence. Unlucky not to score today when he came on.

Paterson is a wild card rather than a trump card - totally unpredictable, but far too often, and for far too long, predictably producing absolutely nothing.

Today's fine goal shouldn't alter the fact he needs to be dropped, and given the opportunity to prove in sub apps. he is back in form and truly merits a regular place.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's running out of chances I reckon, despite the new contract. He can't keep turning in shite performances and expect to retain his place in the starting 11, especially not when we have plenty of other options. A goal once in a blue moon isn't enough and that one today looked like the 'keeper had a hand in it to me.

Diedhiou can't come back soon enough and in the meantime I'd be tempted to try Eisa up top with Weimann to give us more of a physical presence. Unlucky not to score today when he came on.

Who are the options in his position? He doesn't play as a striker more a forward between the striker and midfield....who else can do that role?

Weimann behind Diedhiou....possibly.

Matty Taylor.....i would suggest his impact since signing has been at best extremely limited.

Interesting how some people see it... one of my team is a Bolton season ticket holder and said park ran the show...but then again he does pick his nasal hairs at sales meetings so something not all their.

Just now, MC RISK77 said:

Interesting how some people see it... one of my team is a Bolton season ticket holder and said park ran the show...but then again he does pick his nasal hairs at sales meetings so something not all their.

That is pato ran the show bloody autocorrect 

18 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Who are the options in his position? He doesn't play as a striker more a forward between the striker and midfield....who else can do that role?

Matty Taylor.....i would suggest his impact since signing has been at best extremely limited.

I said we have other options, not necessarily ones in his specific position, like playing Weimann and Diedhiou up top which imo is exactly what will happen once Diedhiou is back. Though, yes, Weimann could well play a sort of link role just behind Diedhiou.

10 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

That is pato ran the show bloody autocorrect 

I didn’t think he had a bad game tbh. Was really disappointed with O’Dowda more than anyone else. 

He took his goal well but is too selfish and doesn’t seem to fit in the team for me. He plays passes only when he expects the ball back and holds onto the ball (albeit skilfully) for far too long. A good footballer but wasteful in the final third - glad he got the goal, should have created 2 more chances later on though.

It was good to see Watkins come on today,  I think he will challenge for that central role behind Weimann and later Diedhiou.

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Paterson is a wild card rather than a trump card - totally unpredictable, but far too often, and for far too long, predictably producing absolutely nothing.

Today's fine goal shouldn't alter the fact he needs to be dropped, and given the opportunity to prove in sub apps. he is back in form and truly merits a regular place.

Spot on... anyone who watched today's game and the Forest game, surely cannot be anything but under whelmed by Pato's general performances (playing in his preferred No.10 role). Aside from today's well taken goal, he has in my opinion been pretty anonymous in both games. 

I'd say if today we had started with Taylor in the No.10 role, or even Eisa up top and Wiemann playing the No.10, we might well have converted our 70% 1st half possession into goals and won the game.

Pato was very good in the first half of last season, but has, in my view, been very poor since January spending large parts of games as a virtual spectator. Having watched both Forest and today, he seems to me to have carried that poor second half of last season form into this season.  

1 hour ago, dazza247 said:

He looked like he was just about to be taken off when he popped up with the equaliser. Eisa and Taylor were on the sidelines waiting to be brought on but Johnson probably wanted to wait until we defended the corner. Then we race down the other end and Jamie scores a fantastic leveller.

As mentioned above he offers moments of brilliance or wastes it in equal measure. He had created a great chance for himself just before that by completely bamboozling two players and then dragging it well wide. Shame about the free kick he blazed over when Eisa and Taylor had come on and were waiting in the box. He's that kind of player that offers the x factor, something a little different. While he can be frustrating (e.g. given the ball away needlessly against Forest a few times) he also can be the difference in a tight game. I guess it's up to LJ to recognise when he's not on it. We have plenty of attacking midfield/wing options available now.

No question about it. As soon as the goal went in,both subs sat back down. 

4 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

A Bolton fan on the radio reckoned Pato ran the show in the second half.  I was there and didn’t see it like that but an interesting perspective.

Think he got him mixed up with Brownhill?

I would like to see Pato put on the bench for a few games to get back his hunger and determination. In his first season with us he got dropped and we all thought he was finished quicker than he started with us. Then when he went all vocal about it seemed to have a bit between his teeth and finished the season well followed into first part last season. 

After he got that virus and was out for a few games, because of previous form, lack of competition due to injuries came back sooner. 

We all know there’s a good player in there, just need to rediscover it. 

12 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

A Bolton fan on the radio reckoned Pato ran the show in the second half.  I was there and didn’t see it like that but an interesting perspective.

As I said above my mate a Bolton fan said the same...is our judgment clouded by our opinion of watching him week in week out rather than twice a season?

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

70%p possession in the first half and 1 shot on target shows we lacked creativity so how you have come to your conclusion baffles me. 

The quality creative centre mid we've been crying out for may have had a say in turning such dominant possession in to tangible results-someone please give Johnson a kick up the arse for me and wake 'him up. 

I think LJ had to stick with the same line up again this weekend, because otherwise he'd appear too rash in dropping players, which shows a lack of commitment to believing in his players. The Plymouth game is ideal because now he can give players an opportunity to force their way into his lineup for Middlesbrough on Saturday with big performances. Eisa and Taylor know they need to play well on Tuesday to stake their claim.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think LJ had to stick with the same line up again this weekend, because otherwise he'd appear too rash in dropping players, which shows a lack of commitment to believing in his players. The Plymouth game is ideal because now he can give players an opportunity to force their way into his lineup for Middlesbrough on Saturday with big performances. Eisa and Taylor know they need to play well on Tuesday to stake their claim.

I would have liked to seen Brownhill in Pattersons role and add Korey. Pato was a liability Vs Forest, gave them their 2 best chances, I know he scored yesterday but he looks a shadow of the player of early last year.  Thing is that is not the sort of switch you'd make Vs Plymouth. I'd guess Eisa will start maybe with Taylor off of him, Smith needs a run and wouldn't weaken the MF, Pisano and Wright the same. I think there will be plenty of changes but how that will affect the team for Saturday is debatable . The only positions at risk I would say, are maybe Kelly (if Da Silva is ready) and Patterson , that number 10 role depends on how attacking LJ wants to be. Pato scored but hasn't been great , but is in possession. LJ could use any one from Taylor, Brownhill , Weimann , COD , Watkins , take yer pick.
I'm looking forward to seeing the team he puts out against Plymouth, could be lots of changes or just a few to try and hone our attacking play.

23 hours ago, Londoner said:

Matty Taylor hasn't had a run of starts and I still maintain he's more than capable at this level.

We should see at least 10 goals from him this season.

Archived