IGNORED

Marlon Pack ....... quality

1960maaan

Pack was simply sublime.

He was involved with everything.

In terms of leadership he seems to have picked up from where Flinty left off. He is much more influential.

That pass for Weimann's goal was simply delicious. As good as & if not better than the ball he laid on a plate for Joe Bryan's Man Utd goal last season.

5 hours ago, Spoons said:

Does LJ get any credit for that disguised pass from Marlon? 

Remember the training video from Marbella.... It was on disguised passing.

Marlon has been doing the no-look pass since his Cheltenham days.  It’s not a skill LJ has taught him.

He May deserve credit for the coaching the movement that goes with it, granted.

@Robbored / @Harry - I see little to no similarities in the games of Skuse and Pack.  Skuse was a busy, pass short to those more gifted players and just back-up the okay whilst ensuring we kept shape.  Pack is a mire Director of the attack with a range of passing.  Neither get far enough forward (a similarity) though.  

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Is it?   :dunno:

I wonder if LJ would agree with you - he played numerous times in the same side as CS.

Are you having a laugh? I hate it when people go all superior on here so apologies in advance but do you actually know anything about football?

I was a big Skuse fan and while he and Pack both occupy deep lying midfield positions, Pack’s range of passing is way better - it’s his stand out attribute. It wasn’t Skuse’s and, as you’ve brought LJ into this, I’m 99.9% sure he’d disagree with you too.

I’d be quite interested to see Pack play further forward, almost as a 10. I appreciate he hasn’t got the pace or pressing ability that LJ would want there, but imagine the damage he could cause with his passing in that role with Eisa or Weimann playing off him. 

He can also shoot very well too and might get a few more goals from range. Good in the air too so might get a few headed goals from late runs into the box.

I’m thinking a similar sort of role to one Fabregas has played in the past. 

15 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure how I was supposed to end the heading, fact or end of ? you get the gist .
I've liked him for some time but he has improved year on year, along similar lines to how Flint improved.  He has always had more to his game than 'just' a holding MF but even now and then he comes up with a pass that shows his vision, like today.

Great pass??

It was just a really poor shot....;)

46 minutes ago, Sturny said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/79897/Show/Marlon-Pack

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13667/Show/Cole-Skuse

If you look at this and select passing you’ll see stats showing Pack is the better passer and attempts more long balls by quite a margin

Facts are stubborn things - John Adams

Or Robbo might prefer:

Facts are stupid things - Ronald Reagan

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’d be quite interested to see Pack play further forward, almost as a 10. I appreciate he hasn’t got the pace or pressing ability that LJ would want there, but imagine the damage he could cause with his passing in that role with Eisa or Weimann playing off him. 

He can also shoot very well too and might get a few more goals from range. Good in the air too so might get a few headed goals from late runs into the box.

I’m thinking a similar sort of role to one Fabregas has played in the past. 

Not sure about a no10, but certainly not the deep lying role he currently employs either.  When he does get on the ball within 30 yards of goal we have many more options...shot, incisive pass etc.  50 yards out is too deep when we have good possession.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure about a no10, but certainly not the deep lying role he currently employs either.  When he does get on the ball within 30 yards of goal we have many more options...shot, incisive pass etc.  50 yards out is too deep when we have good possession.

I think it could work, but you’d have to use him totally differently to that Reid role behind the forward. More of a typical central attacking midfielder without the emphasis on pressing.

Basically the position would maximise his creativity but let’s him focus on that rather than defensive work. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it could work, but you’d have to use him totally differently to that Reid role behind the forward. More of a typical central attacking midfielder without the emphasis on pressing.

Basically the position would maximise his creativity but let’s him focus on that rather than defensive work. 

A bit like a Lansbury?

17 hours ago, Robbored said:

Pack does the same job that Cole Skuse did and equally as well but back then some posters simply didn’t rate CS. I wonder if they now rate Pack? 

That a subjective view. I’d argue that there’s nothing between them in terms of what they add to the team.

Is it?   :dunno:

I wonder if LJ would agree with you - he played numerous times in the same side as CS.

Hey! This is a forum...........

If you consider that I’m ‘fishing’  then simply put me on ignore.......

In your opinion.......

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

CS had just signed an extended contract at Ipswich when City played at Portman Rd last season.

Blimey, how many more ex-Skuses have you got lined up? 

I liked CS too, but it all got a bit stale and stagnant in the end and was time to move on and rejuvenate (shades of Joe Bryans recent situation).

So that's enough ex-Skuses for today, it's time to Pack it in !  

14 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

He’s the most improved player of the last four years still at the club. Decent footballer and great range of passing. Where Skuse was slightly better was closing players down and not giving them time on the ball.

I love posts like this, making up traits that skuse simply did not have. Would never close down and harry the opposition. He used to miander around the pitch watching the game go by 

It was a sublime pass, no two ways about it and he is turning into a class(ish) act.  However, at the risk of sounding churlish, dare I mention how Pack just let the ball cross the 18 yard box right in front of him that led to Bolton's second goal?  

10 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Pack is now one of those midfield maestros that we’ve seen at Ashton gate for years...unfortunately it’s always been on the other team!

Always rated him and he’s improved year on year. He’s a vital cog to how we try and play and I hope he remains with us for years to come! 

With a few less Hollywood passes to the wings.  Other than that he’s a top player for us.

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Was a superb pass.  I really rate Marlon....but guilty in second half (only saw a few minutes of first half) of hitting two many long balls out to our left wing that didn’t find their target.  Imho, he just needed to keep playing the shorter ball.

Completely agree. He plays too many balls that leave the reciever too much to do to keep it in, sometimes the failure to control the pass leaves us under pressure, especially to teams that counter quickly. As they say in golf, play the percentages.

Archived