IGNORED

Dud Watch

The Original OTIB

Re; Diony - I have a feeling he’ll end up doing well this season. Felt he was much better than we ever got to see unfortunately. In that QPR game you could see flashes of what he was about.. but that was as good as it got.

It could be that he’s an extreme confidence player.. his confidence seemed shot when he was here. Perhaps he’s got back into the grove now.

Good luck to him, just a shame he couldn’t find his form 7 months earlier otherwise we could’ve been a Prem side now!

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Re; Diony - I have a feeling he’ll end up doing well this season. Felt he was much better than we ever got to see unfortunately. In that QPR game you could see flashes of what he was about.. but that was as good as it got.

It could be that he’s an extreme confidence player.. his confidence seemed shot when he was here. Perhaps he’s got back into the grove now.

Good luck to him, just a shame he couldn’t find his form 7 months earlier otherwise we could’ve been a Prem side now!

wrong place, wrong time.

44 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Whilst he was with us, wasn’t he posting stuff on social media about a battle with depression? I don’t think he was in a very good place and if so it obviously affected his performances...

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

From those clips you can see why LJ signed him on loan. Disappointing that he he didn’t make a better impression at AG.

Lots of different reason I guess. New country and environment , different style of football.....who knows? 

I thought you didn’t care about ex city players ?

47 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

I thought you didn’t care about ex city players ?

I don’t much but I don’t like to see former loan players labelled a ‘dud’ simply because they failed to impress at AG.

Some posters are too quick to write off players who don’t produce the goods when they don’t know the reasons why that might be.

BS4 posted on this thread that Dionsy had issues with depression - how many of us knew that? I certainly didn’t.

Btw - I will be following how JB and BR do in the PL because they’re both City academy graduates.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t much but I don’t like to see former loan players labelled a ‘dud’ simply because they failed to impress at AG.

Some posters are too quick to write off players who don’t produce the goods when they don’t know the reasons why that might be.

BS4 posted on this thread that Dionsy had issues with depression - how many of us knew that? I certainly didn’t.

Btw - I will be following how LB and BR do in the PL because they’re both City academy graduates.

Title = partly ironic.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Btw - I will be following how LB and BR do in the PL because they’re both City academy graduates.

Who's LB?

29 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Whilst he was with us, wasn’t he posting stuff on social media about a battle with depression? I don’t think he was in a very good place and if so it obviously affected his performances...

Did a good job of keeping this quiet while the City hierachy were doing their due diligence because as we are told over and over City leave no stone unturned when it comes to recruitment. Of course, we all know his stats in the few months leading to the move as well as his injury were blindingly obvious reasons not to sign him. But City, ever the professionals, ploughed on anyway.

21 hours ago, screech said:

Dionkey is probably looking at putting in enough effort just to secure an extension to his footballers lifestyle for a few more years. No effort and completely disinterested whist here, same for golden boy Kent.

Sorry but for Diony I don't agree, in fact quite the opposite.

He tried too hard . He was so desperate to get away from his personal hell that he wasn't relaxed enough to do the right things on the pitch .You could even say the same for Kent. If he wasn't trying so hard to impress he may have been more affective.

Then Diony got an injury after a nasty tackle from behind, against QPR , if  memory serves .

For both players the talent is there just needed the right environment to bring it out of them . At the time City desperately needed a lift as the team were flagging and I believe the pressure got to the new boys., who were both struggling to get their careers back on track .

Unlucky for City because we can all see what they were trying to do with these two signings.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

He tried too hard . He was so desperate to get away from his personal hell that he wasn't relaxed enough to do the right things on the pitch .You could even say the same for Kent. If he wasn't trying so hard to impress he may have been more affective.

Then Diony got an injury after a nasty tackle from behind, against QPR , if  memory serves .

For both players the talent is there just needed the right environment to bring it out of them . At the time City desperately needed a lift as the team were flagging and I believe the pressure got to the new boys., who were both struggling to get their careers back on track .

Unlucky for City because we can all see what they were trying to do with these two signings.

Good points. Before his move here, an English journalist based in France covering Ligue 1 said that Diony is better than both Diedhiou and Kodjia in terms of ability. This is someone who’s seen all three play very regularly and who’s opinion I trust because he knows his football.

I believe there were many factors at play during his move here, and ultimately it didn’t work out which is unfortunate for us. I really wanted him to be great for us, whereas I found Kent a bit dislikeable, can’t put my finger on why.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree with this; he's obviously a talented player, he was just trying to force things which I take as a desperation to make the move succeed. If he was a golfer, we'd have said he had the tips. I think the issue was that we went for a 'high risk, high reward' type loan rather than a sure thing, which reflects even more poorly on the player.

If we'd been offered the opportunity to sign him on the cheap over the summer I'd have taken the risk personally, though it would undoubtedly been a risk

Archived