IGNORED

Dud Watch

The Original OTIB

Not a dig at anyone, but if the guy was suffering from depression and struggling for confidence then it couldn’t have helped reading all the stuff about him on these forums - he must have wanted the ground to swallow him up and end the nightmare. 

Good luck to him - but he will need to grow some if he wants a career in this game - fans are merciless when you are off form and he will need to cope with it. 

44 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Not a dig at anyone, but if the guy was suffering from depression and struggling for confidence then it couldn’t have helped reading all the stuff about him on these forums - he must have wanted the ground to swallow him up and end the nightmare. 

Good luck to him - but he will need to grow some if he wants a career in this game - fans are merciless when you are off form and he will need to cope with it. 

I' m not sure he would have been a visitor to our esteemed forum.

He knew he was misfiring , if he came on here he would know that , at best , people would be sympathetic but most likely critical as the team were faltering and he wasn't helping .

I'm not sure anyone would want to add to their suffering.

I just hope that as a responsible employer BS offered professional support. This is a problem, undoubtedly, that will come again.

A rather similar problem is that of language, which I understood, is now being addressed.

Engvall's case probably has links with Diony's, although possibly an issue of man management as well.

I think there is clear evidence over last number of seasons that the organisation needs to up its game in these areas

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I just hope that as a responsible employer BS offered professional support. This is a problem, undoubtedly, that will come again.

A rather similar problem is that of language, which I understood, is now being addressed.

Engvall's case probably has links with Diony's, although possibly an issue of man management as well.

I think there is clear evidence over last number of seasons that the organisation needs to up its game in these areas

From what I remember - the depression thing came from a post he made on his Instagram (in French) which said something like 'I am in a black place'. Fairly ambiguous, and could be mistranslated. Could mean he was depressed.. but then again could mean he felt he was in poor form, or was just feeling sad on that day.

None of us know really, so probably not the best idea to speculate as to whether he does/doesn't have depression and needed professional support.

If he was actually depressed then yes I agree, i hope the club offered some professional support.

And yes I also agree with your second point. Something has clearly gone wrong with foreign signings - whether that's with player identification in terms of ability, to sussing whether they are joining for the right reasons/whether they are the type that could settle well.

It appears we generally have had more luck with our French signings - Diedhiou and Kodjia settled well and both are successes. Really hoping Eliasson has a good season, great to see him getting games. 

On 12/08/2018 at 08:49, screech said:

Dionkey is probably looking at putting in enough effort just to secure an extension to his footballers lifestyle for a few more years. No effort and completely disinterested whist here, same for golden boy Kent.

I completely see the lack of effort in Kent, his first performance was abysmal, but I can't agree with Diony. He just didn't perform, that is not equal to not putting effort in. He did try.

Can't remember the game Diony came on as sub for debut, but within minutes he chased a ball to the edge of the box which the keeper got there a split second before and cleared, can't help thinking if he had managed to knock that in how different it could have been for him, just need a goal to regain confidence.

I know its ifs and buts, and if some shots had been a split second different many people would not even have been born

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Can't remember the game Diony came on as sub for debut, but within minutes he chased a ball to the edge of the box which the keeper got there a split second before and cleared, can't help thinking if he had managed to knock that in how different it could have been for him, just need a goal to regain confidence.

I know its ifs and buts, and if some shots had been a split second different many people would not even have been born

Hence the topic, to see if these so-called "Dud's" are actually not that at all. There are many factors that make things work out in one's life, as we all know.

9 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Very true , I swerved to avoid a child last night and fell off the sofa.

26 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I completely see the lack of effort in Kent, his first performance was abysmal, but I can't agree with Diony. He just didn't perform, that is not equal to not putting effort in. He did try.

There was a background to Kent that we fans weren’t privy to. It only came to light via LJ after Kent had returned to Liverpool. 

Kent had found hard to integrate with squad, possibly because he was deeply shy and had certain insecurities. He had the same issues when on loan in Germany.

If any player isn’t happy then we they aren’t able to perform at their best. Same with Dionsy.

As posted earlier some fans are quick to slate a player when none of us know what’s going on in their heads or personal life.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

From what I remember - the depression thing came from a post he made on his Instagram (in French) which said something like 'I am in a black place'. Fairly ambiguous, and could be mistranslated. Could mean he was depressed.. but then again could mean he felt he was in poor form, or was just feeling sad on that day.

None of us know really, so probably not the best idea to speculate as to whether he does/doesn't have depression and needed professional support.

If he was actually depressed then yes I agree, i hope the club offered some professional support.

And yes I also agree with your second point. Something has clearly gone wrong with foreign signings - whether that's with player identification in terms of ability, to sussing whether they are joining for the right reasons/whether they are the type that could settle well.

It appears we generally have had more luck with our French signings - Diedhiou and Kodjia settled well and both are successes. Really hoping Eliasson has a good season, great to see him getting games. 

Whatever the cause of Diony's problems the club should be prepared always to step in with professional support. I agree it may not have been a case of depression per se, but as I understand the French this is what he was alluding to, but there was a problem whatever and I hope he got the correct support.  Perhaps he did and that is why now he has regained form.  The message is clear - in the hyper stressful area of professional football (in addition to the stress of playing well, can be added living abroad for the first time, money to burn, time on one's hands, away from friends, etc etc) more needs to be done by clubs to support young players.  This is a separate job to that of Head Coach, who has enough on his plate already.  It calls for greater professionalisation.   In the long run this will save money let alone a young person's self confidence and well being.

17 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Whatever the cause of Diony's problems the club should be prepared always to step in with professional support. I agree it may not have been a case of depression per se, but as I understand the French this is what he was alluding to, but there was a problem whatever and I hope he got the correct support.  Perhaps he did and that is why now he has regained form.  The message is clear - in the hyper stressful area of professional football (in addition to the stress of playing well, can be added living abroad for the first time, money to burn, time on one's hands, away from friends, etc etc) more needs to be done by clubs to support young players.  This is a separate job to that of Head Coach, who has enough on his plate already.  It calls for greater professionalisation.   In the long run this will save money let alone a young person's self confidence and well being.

Yep totally agree with you. I remember reading that awful Steven Caulker article which highlighted how we treated him as an 18 year old.. we indirectly contributed to his gambling issues in my opinion - and that's a domestic player.

I'm sure we try our best with foreign players, but clearly there are some issues. I think for those with families - it can make or break their success here. It seems a big motivator in Djuric's move was where he wanted his daughter to be educated.

How did we contribute to Caulker's gambling issues? By paying him too much??

His time here 'broke him through' to the level he wished to achieve. He's spoken of how happy he was.

As for Diony, I'm not sure he confessed to being clinically depressed per se, more depressed as in unhappy at losing form and failing to become a team regular. Most strikers would say the same and he's certainly not the only one to endure a protracted dry patch.

His poor scoring form began before he came to the UK: he'd not scored a goal for months prior to us bringing him here.

He clearly has some skills so I'm glad to see him getting back on the scoresheet after a long absence and hope he can restart his career.

I never hold any personal hatred of players who aren't performing - it's more exasperation with the people putting them in that position.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

How did we contribute to Caulker's gambling issues? By paying him too much??

His time here 'broke him through' to the level he wished to achieve. He's spoken of how happy he was.

As for Diony, I'm not sure he confessed to being clinically depressed per se, more depressed as in unhappy at losing form and failing to become a team regular. Most strikers would say the same and he's certainly not the only one to endure a protracted dry patch.

His poor scoring form began before he came to the UK: he'd not scored a goal for months prior to us bringing him here.

He clearly has some skills so I'm glad to see him getting back on the scoresheet after a long absence and hope he can restart his career.

I never hold any personal hatred of players who aren't performing - it's more exasperation with the people putting them in that position.

Agree with your final sentence but would add...... and then doing nothing about it

On 13/08/2018 at 10:23, Robbored said:

There was a background to Kent that we fans weren’t privy to. It only came to light via LJ after Kent had returned to Liverpool. 

Kent had found hard to integrate with squad, possibly because he was deeply shy and had certain insecurities. He had the same issues when on loan in Germany.

If any player isn’t happy then we they aren’t able to perform at their best. Same with Dionsy.

As posted earlier some fans are quick to slate a player when none of us know what’s going on in their heads or personal life.

So where was our much-vaunted DNA testing?

Two of the three January imports appear to have had ‘issues’ then. The only time, probably, in a decade that we had a chance of promotion, when our stock couldn’t get any higher,  and two of the three we bring in to bolster a physically and mentally flagging squad seem to have ‘issues’. 

It’s not as if we’ve not had players, and in the recent past, who’ve had major issues.

No wonder Aden, Bobby, Joe and Milan left when they see such a shambles of an approach to incoming transfers. 

8 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

So where was our much-vaunted DNA testing?

Two of the three January imports appear to have had ‘issues’ then. The only time, probably, in a decade that we had a chance of promotion, when our stock couldn’t get any higher,  and two of the three we bring in to bolster a physically and mentally flagging squad seem to have ‘issues’. 

No wonder Aden, Bobby, Joe and Milan left when they see such a shambles of an approach to incoming transfers. 

Oh....and I thought that Bryan and Reid left to advance their careers and Flint for financial benefit.   :cool2:

With loan players like Dionsy and Kent it’s an opportunity to assess their ‘DNA’ and they both failed that test. In Dionsy’s case had he scored a few goals and impressed then a city might well have signed him. The option was there I think.

On 12/08/2018 at 17:27, BS4 on Tour... said:

Whilst he was with us, wasn’t he posting stuff on social media about a battle with depression? I don’t think he was in a very good place and if so it obviously affected his performances...

Having been there done that & don't need the "T" shirt, I don't wish that on anyone.

Just hope he's over it ?.

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Oh....and I thought that Bryan and Reid left to advance their careers and Flint for financial benefit.   :cool2:

With loan players like Dionsy and Kent it’s an opportunity to assess their ‘DNA’ and they both failed that test. In Dionsy’s case had he scored a few goals and impressed then a city might well have signed him. The option was there I think.

Career advancement could/should have been with us instead of the ‘mighty’ Boro, Cardiff and Fulham - historically, all of whom I’d class in the same category as City in terms of Club stature.There would have been no need to ‘advance’ if we’d been cute in the transfer market.

Probably, lose our next batch of stars to the likes of Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Watford and Palace. Lummydaze. 

Still there’s always Preston and Brentford to judge us by with half the crowds and no billionaire owner to back them.

Archived