IGNORED

Team v Plymouth

JackiDziekanowski

14 minutes ago, JackiDziekanowski said:

What do we think the starting 11 will be on Tuesday night? 

I'm thinking:

O'Leary 

Pisano Wright (if fit) Hegeler Kelly 

Watkins Smith Walsh O'Dowda

Taylor Eisa

Maybe a chance for some youngsters to have a run out from the bench too 

Was thinking the same line up to be honest . 

Definitely Taylor / eisa up front . Watkins is logical to give him game time . 

Need a mixture then of experience and some younger on the bench , dependant on how the game goes 

O'Leary

Pisano .... Wright* .... Baker .... Pring**

Watkins .... Walsh .... Smith .... O'Dowda

Taylor .... Eisa 

* If fit if not Webster

** Gives us a chance to try establishing what standard we could try sending Pring on loan too, decent against Bournemouth but was a friendly, give him a go in a competitive game.

I'd also have Morrell on the bench to come on for Walsh. Did debate including Weimann, if he scores again confidence just builds however with Diedhiou still out for a few league games we can't risk losing Weimann to injury.

14 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Important to win this as get through to the 2nd round, and that game would also count towards one of Diedhiou’s 6 match ban. 

So it would then just be 4 league games and 2 cup games that he’d miss. 

Pretty sure the next league cup match is after his ban. 5 league games and this cup match regardless the result Tuesday

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Pretty sure the next league cup match is after his ban. 5 league games and this cup match regardless the result Tuesday

Ahhh you’re right. Beat Plymouth then Fam would be able to play in that 2nd round Carabao tie, on the 28/29th August. His first league game would potentially be Blackburn at home on 2nd Sep. 

I reckon Kelly will be moved to LCB and DaSilva will come in at LB.  Eros should play RB.  Wright RCB if fit..

Would like to see Eisa play and sure Korey will play.  I have a funny feeling about this. We anihalated them last year,  Suspect they will be bang up for it and if we're not on our game it could be difficult.  They are a good League 1 side now...

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

I reckon Kelly will be moved to LCB and DaSilva will come in at LB.  Eros should play RB.  Wright RCB if fit..

Would like to see Eisa play and sure Korey will play.  I have a funny feeling about this. We anihalated them last year,  Suspect they will be bang up for it and if we're not on our game it could be difficult.  They are a good League 1 side now...

Just for balance, they’ve looked piss poor so far this season.

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Not certain that LJ will make a huge amount of changes as he may want to give the new boyz, especially the back 4 and keeper, more valuable game time together. Eisa should start and Pack may be rested for Smith but cant see many more changes.

I think LJ will want to go pretty strong for this one. The likes of Pisano, Wright, Smith, Watkins and Taylor could all come in and we’d have a pretty normal Champ team.

Imho, it’s important to progress to round 2, at this stage of the season it’s opportunities to get minutes into the legs, especially those not starting.

Nice as it would be to see Morrell, Pring etc, this game, for me, is about getting the regular match day 18 into shape and playing together.

The final thought is that if we get through, Rd2 would be the perfect game to give Diedhiou some minutes ahead of the home game v Blackburn.  LJ can gauge how ready he is to start v Blackburn, or whether subs bench is right.

9 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Not certain that LJ will make a huge amount of changes as he may want to give the new boyz, especially the back 4 and keeper, more valuable game time together. Eisa should start and Pack may be rested for Smith but cant see many more changes.

Interesting opinion but I'm pretty sure they'll be plenty of changes.

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Replace Kelly with Dasilva. 

Perhaps Joe Morrell or Rory Holden on place of Callum. 

On the bench. Keeper Sesay, Cameron Pring, striker Janneh, Conor Lemonheigh-Evans, Opi Edwards. Plus three senior players just in case! 

Would play Sesay......has the potential to be a top,top keeper-get him in there.

28 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

O'Leary 

Pisano

Two from Moore, Wright, Kelly or Hegeler

Dasilva

Watkins

Walsh 

Smith

Eliasson - keep playing him, he's thriving and building confidence by the day

Taylor

Eisa

Just looking at this list gives me a lot more confidence about our staying power this season. Just need a couple of good loan acquisitions now.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think LJ will want to go pretty strong for this one. The likes of Pisano, Wright, Smith, Watkins and Taylor could all come in and we’d have a pretty normal Champ team.

Imho, it’s important to progress to round 2, at this stage of the season it’s opportunities to get minutes into the legs, especially those not starting.

Nice as it would be to see Morrell, Pring etc, this game, for me, is about getting the regular match day 18 into shape and playing together.

The final thought is that if we get through, Rd2 would be the perfect game to give Diedhiou some minutes ahead of the home game v Blackburn.  LJ can gauge how ready he is to start v Blackburn, or whether subs bench is right.

That is the thing though. Can make plenty of changes and still be strong. Even when we grumble about Matty Taylor he scored plenty at Plymouth’s level not long ago. We have plenty of players who won’t be regulars that would get into other champ sides. 

I think LJ will make plenty of changes but expect a dominate performance. So he should if the likes of Pisano, Smith, Hegeler, Watkins and Taylor play. I’d hope that he does make changes and some give him some selection problems with their performances

51 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

I’d 100% play the fringe and young lads in the cups this year, we’ve had a great run last season in the league cup which was long overdue, let’s keep the league our main priority this season.

At this stage of the season you want to get minutes into players legs, there are players higher in priority than Pring and Morrell imho.  But i’m Not LJ.

Play the subs/fringe/youth.

We pretty much did that last year round one against them and got through, and with Fam’s suspension and injures, even if we fall at the first rather than penultimate hurdle this time, I’d say that would be a cost of being sensible.

Anyway; ideal game to walk-the-talk regards the ‘pathway’; not playing the likes of Morrell, Walsh and Taylor Moore against lower league opponents in the Cup seems like a missed opportunity.

Giving them the chance to impress alongside some of the squad players like Taylor will improve them, regardless of result.

Still hope we’d have enough to win it, but rest players where we can - bet Boro rest most of their starters and we need all of ours when they visit next weekend.

Archived