IGNORED

Interesting article by Adam Baker

Robbored

I wouldn’t use the term “interesting”. 

It covers pretty much everything that’s been said on here over the last 2 months. Had he written that in May it would have been interesting. 

There is nothing in that article which is “new” to any of us. I’d re-title the thread as “Fact-based article by Baker” rather than “interesting”. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t use the term “interesting”. 

It covers pretty much everything that’s been said on here over the last 2 months. Had he written that in May it would have been interesting. 

There is nothing in that article which is “new” to any of us. I’d re-title the thread as “Fact-based article by Baker” rather than “interesting”. 

Yes, I thought exactly the same.  Nothing here that everybody doesnt know already, and a bit of an exercise in stating the bl**ding obvious.

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, I thought exactly the same.  Nothing here that everybody doesnt know already, and a bit of an exercise in stating the bl**ding obvious.

AB was pointing out a change of direction in the clubs transfer policy.........that must have been lost on some I guess.......it hadn’t occurred to me the move away from the foreign signings until I read the article. 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

AB was pointing out a change of direction in the clubs transfer policy.........that must have been lost on some I guess.......it hadn’t occurred to me the move away from the foreign signings until I read the article. 

Apart from the fact they only signed one ‘foreign’ player and he’s played his entire career in England?

pretty sure 99.9% of people realised there was a change in policy! 

6 minutes ago, super slick said:

Apart from the fact they only signed one ‘foreign’ player and he’s played his entire career in England?

pretty sure 99.9% of people realised there was a change in policy! 

I must be that 0.01% then......

umm

Recently , having spent a small fortune on surveys/legals- the couple selling their property to me pulled out at the final moment - the reason they gave was they were moving to France but were now unclear as to whether they could work there after March next year.

Miles Jacobson, director of Sports Interactive, the company behind the Football Manager video games, was on BBC Radio 4 on Friday talking about the potential impact of Brexit on the Premier League.

At the moment, players from the European Union are allowed to play professional football in England as part of freedom-of-movement rules, while those from outside the EU need work permits.

Mr Jacobson said that if the rules for players from the EU were the same as the current ones for non-EU players, 152 players - about 25% of the total - would "definitely not get work permits".

Basically, the rules to allow a non EU player a work permit is based on a % of international performances over the past two years and the lower the ranking- the higher the number- e.g. French player 30% and Egyptian 75% etc. These rules will apply to EU players in the UK unless there's a deal with the EU which is looking less and less likely, then Football clubs with a high proportion of foreign players may be in trouble

A club can apply to the FA Exceptions Panel but that is by no means guaranteed and works on a points system- how long they've been in UK/cost/value to team but that could be a lottery and I doubt very much that many recent Championship or lower league players will qualify.

So- with a very uncertain Brexit deal, did Steve Lansdown decide that it would be daft to recruit any more new faces direct from the Europe? Is this why having spent the last couple of seasons buying foreign players that no one has been recruited from outside the football league?

Steve would never come out and say so because he just doesn't get into the political debate but it does seem likely that this has been, in part,a reason for the change in policy and may well be why BCFC didn't seem that bothered about Djuric leaving and taking a loss. Steve is a very very canny businessman and I have no doubt the future of foreign transfers is not lost on him.

The FA definitely have a problem because they can't allow work permits to any player wishing to play in the UK if , for example, Westons can't allow allow the Polish etc work permits to come and pick their apples.

We have two players who may be at risk in Fammy and Eliasson but there could be rules where a set % of the squad qualify automatically say 10% for example.But then, anyone employing an EU national at their warehouse/building site/surgery etc should be able to do the same which ultimately means freedom of movement and not Brexit.

No one knows what comes next for Brexit but surely any Football club who's paid a lot of money for EU players who aren't qualifying internationals may come unstuck. So in this respect at least, maybe our transfer business was slightly better than it feels and the value of a UK player at our level will rise disproportionately because it's gonna be that much harder to pick up a new Kodjia/Famara.

Then again, we won't end up with an Engvall.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/196250-did-brexit-shape-our-new-transfer-policy/&tab=comments#comment-3295394

21 minutes ago, Fiale said:

umm

Recently , having spent a small fortune on surveys/legals- the couple selling their property to me pulled out at the final moment - the reason they gave was they were moving to France but were now unclear as to whether they could work there after March next year.

Miles Jacobson, director of Sports Interactive, the company behind the Football Manager video games, was on BBC Radio 4 on Friday talking about the potential impact of Brexit on the Premier League.

At the moment, players from the European Union are allowed to play professional football in England as part of freedom-of-movement rules, while those from outside the EU need work permits.

Mr Jacobson said that if the rules for players from the EU were the same as the current ones for non-EU players, 152 players - about 25% of the total - would "definitely not get work permits".

Basically, the rules to allow a non EU player a work permit is based on a % of international performances over the past two years and the lower the ranking- the higher the number- e.g. French player 30% and Egyptian 75% etc. These rules will apply to EU players in the UK unless there's a deal with the EU which is looking less and less likely, then Football clubs with a high proportion of foreign players may be in trouble

A club can apply to the FA Exceptions Panel but that is by no means guaranteed and works on a points system- how long they've been in UK/cost/value to team but that could be a lottery and I doubt very much that many recent Championship or lower league players will qualify.

So- with a very uncertain Brexit deal, did Steve Lansdown decide that it would be daft to recruit any more new faces direct from the Europe? Is this why having spent the last couple of seasons buying foreign players that no one has been recruited from outside the football league?

Steve would never come out and say so because he just doesn't get into the political debate but it does seem likely that this has been, in part,a reason for the change in policy and may well be why BCFC didn't seem that bothered about Djuric leaving and taking a loss. Steve is a very very canny businessman and I have no doubt the future of foreign transfers is not lost on him.

The FA definitely have a problem because they can't allow work permits to any player wishing to play in the UK if , for example, Westons can't allow allow the Polish etc work permits to come and pick their apples.

We have two players who may be at risk in Fammy and Eliasson but there could be rules where a set % of the squad qualify automatically say 10% for example.But then, anyone employing an EU national at their warehouse/building site/surgery etc should be able to do the same which ultimately means freedom of movement and not Brexit.

No one knows what comes next for Brexit but surely any Football club who's paid a lot of money for EU players who aren't qualifying internationals may come unstuck. So in this respect at least, maybe our transfer business was slightly better than it feels and the value of a UK player at our level will rise disproportionately because it's gonna be that much harder to pick up a new Kodjia/Famara.

Then again, we won't end up with an Engvall.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/196250-did-brexit-shape-our-new-transfer-policy/&tab=comments#comment-3295394

I cannot imagine this would apply to players already here - to apply any changes in the law retrospectively would be illogical, probably illegal.

But I agree that going forward, once we have actually left, it will have an impact on the ability of clubs to recruit so easily from the EU.

Imagine that - no more bog standard players filling out squads and clubs having to play and develop more homegrown players for the benefit of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - no more Engvalls and more McCoulskys or Hinds or Eisas getting a chance to shine. What a disaster. 

24 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I cannot imagine this would apply to players already here - to apply any changes in the law retrospectively would be illogical, probably illegal.

But I agree that going forward, once we have actually left, it will have an impact on the ability of clubs to recruit so easily from the EU.

Imagine that - no more bog standard players filling out squads and clubs having to play and develop more homegrown players for the benefit of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - no more Engvalls and more McCoulskys or Hinds or Eisas getting a chance to shine. What a disaster. 

Also when the pound crashes further, euro denominated players will be a lot more expensive. Great idea this Brexit thing..

1 hour ago, super slick said:

I think it was pretty clear that I meant they only signed one foreign player this summer, Hence the blindingly obvious change of transfer policy.

It was only clear to you as you wrote it.

I see you’re a newbie...(yeah, I know , you’ve  been reading otib for ages.......:sleeping:

Try explaining yourself more clearly so that we can understand you more easily.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Then you clearly didn't read my OP on saturday - 2 days before AB saying the same thing although with different reasons.

And my article was on the OTIB OS not some "just make it up or borrow it" local rag.

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Then you clearly didn't read my OP on saturday - 2 days before AB saying the same thing although with different reasons.

And my article was on the OTIB OS not some "just make it up or borrow it" local rag.

Obviously I didn’t see it. 

So you’re saying it wasnt an original  article by AB? 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Don’t you find any City related article  interesting,  particularly as it this one is written by one of the clubs former employees? 

No. I find City related articles to be interesting if there was something new being reported or something I didn’t know about. This article basically states what has been said on here for 2 months and in particular a post which I myself made in May highlighting that the recruitment this summer would be much less foreign influenced. 

It’s old news but I have no beef with Baker for publishing a summer round up as his first article for his new employers. I just don’t think it’s actually very interesting or thought provoking or current. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Gary Johnson said the same thing 10 years ago or more.. May have been the Metab? fiasco. 

Archived