IGNORED

Interesting article by Adam Baker

Robbored

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Obviously I didn’t see it. 

So you’re saying it wasnt an original  article by AB? 

If you missed what my OP in respect of transfers was- you can look it up unless you had already put me on "ignore" which will be the reason you didn't see it.

I simply refuse to comment further when you are clearly not paying attention to the OTIB OS.

The interesting part for me was that Lansdown expects 10th or above this seasono. I hadn't heard that announced anywhere, so for it to be explicitly written makes it sound like it's come from him.

This puts me at ease, knowing that our expectations are realistic given the changes we've had this season. Aiming high is great, but I've felt for a while that both LJ and Lansdown have been unrealistic in their goals for this club, and some of that must rub off on the players. This season should be one of solidifying our spot in this division, and to build a platform of continuous improvement. This is a key year for LJ, in that if he can match those expectations there's no reason why we can't push for promotion in the next season or two.

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

The interesting part for me was that Lansdown expects 10th or above this seasono. I hadn't heard that announced anywhere, so for it to be explicitly written makes it sound like it's come from him.

This puts me at ease, knowing that our expectations are realistic given the changes we've had this season. Aiming high is great, but I've felt for a while that both LJ and Lansdown have been unrealistic in their goals for this club, and some of that must rub off on the players. This season should be one of solidifying our spot in this division, and to build a platform of continuous improvement. This is a key year for LJ, in that if he can match those expectations there's no reason why we can't push for promotion in the next season or two.

Lansdown said it in a recent interview

As others have said, it isn't very interesting.  It says we are buying UK based players rather than overseas based ones, but offers no explanation why.  A hint that they don't settle in but no explanation why, not even an opinion.  From an ex-employee who must have had wide access within the club I would expect more insight.

27 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

It will be prudent to reserve judgement until the loan window closes but if you offered me 10th now I would bite your hand off as I don't think expecting to finish that high with the current squad and coach is realistic at all. Not saying we're going down either, just to be clear.

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

If you missed what my OP in respect of transfers was- you can look it up unless you had already put me on "ignore" which will be the reason you didn't see it.

Why on earth would put you on ignore?  

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Cos that's the suggestion you make to others!

It's a half whoosh, Robbo.

I make that suggestion to  those who repeatedly bin my posts. To me, they obviously find me an irritant so in order for them not to become irritated, it would be better for them if they ignored my posts. I really am an altruistic guy.....

You don’t repeatedly bin my posts so I have no reason to suggest you put me on ignore.

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

I make that suggestion to  those who repeatedly bin my posts. To me, they obviously find me an irritant so in order for them not to become irritated, it would be better for them if they ignored my posts. I really am an altruistic guy.....

You don’t repeatedly bin my posts so I have no reason to suggest you put me on ignore.

I think "never" would have been more accurate. I rarely ever rubbish anyone unless they really are very misguided. You pull people's tails which I usually find quite funny especially when they accept the big fat juicy worm on a clearly baited hook.

15 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It will be prudent to reserve judgement until the loan window closes but if you offered me 10th now I would bite your hand off as I don't think expecting to finish that high with the current squad and coach is realistic at all. Not saying we're going down either, just to be clear.

I agree, but I assume that LJ agreed to being judged on improving our position this season - otherwise he'd be more distant and looking for a move away while his stock is still reasonably high.

LJ would've done well to get 10th with the squad we've currently got, but if he doesn't I wouldn't blame Lansdown for getting rid. It's hard to get the fans behind a club when you're operating as a selling club that isn't achieving success.

18 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I suggest to him that job wise, he forgets BCFC and gets an unrelated position somewhere else. 

I’d have thought that too, tbf. Avoid being pigeonholed etc. Maybe there are no other offers on the table though and he’s getting a bit bored!? 

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I agree, but I assume that LJ agreed to being judged on improving our position this season - otherwise he'd be more distant and looking for a move away while his stock is still reasonably high.

LJ would've done well to get 10th with the squad we've currently got, but if he doesn't I wouldn't blame Lansdown for getting rid. It's hard to get the fans behind a club when you're operating as a selling club that isn't achieving success.

Selling club, or trading club?

Subtle difference between the 2 IMO. Not saying it's the right approach necessarily, but it is our approach for the foreseeable it seems. Brentford I'd class as a trading club. Plenty of sides in Serie A, I'd class as trading clubs. Southampton arguably, a trading club (their fans may have a different view). Sheffield United this summer- it maybe a one off, but have sold and re-invested rather well.

Trade, buy, sell, bit of churn, profit, re-invest wisely and on the cycle goes. Clubs without a big budget need to be creative about how they go about things.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Selling club, or trading club?

Subtle difference between the 2 IMO. Not saying it's the right approach necessarily, but it is our approach for the foreseeable it seems. Brentford I'd class as a trading club. Plenty of sides in Serie A, I'd class as trading clubs. Southampton arguably, a trading club (their fans may have a different view). Sheffield United this summer- it maybe a one off, but have sold and re-invested rather well.

Trade, buy, sell, bit of churn, profit, re-invest wisely and on the cycle goes. Clubs without a big budget need to be creative about how they go about things.

I'd argue the difference lies in the success criteria. If the cycle works then you've traded well. If it doesn't, you've sold your assets for cheap.

It's more nuanced than that, relating to the business side of things and how sustainable the club is, but a club like Bristol City needs fan confidence to thrive, and without success the club becomes less desirable to all - as an investment, as a club to play for, and as a club to support.

1 minute ago, EnderMB said:

I'd argue the difference lies in the success criteria. If the cycle works then you've traded well. If it doesn't, you've sold your assets for cheap.

It's more nuanced than that, relating to the business side of things and how sustainable the club is, but a club like Bristol City needs fan confidence to thrive, and without success the club becomes less desirable to all - as an investment, as a club to play for, and as a club to support.

That's a good point for sure.

Trading upwards I think they call it, and yes fan confidence is very important. That was why (as well as his excellence) I was keen on us making a statement signing after Reid and Flint went. Some of my targets were (Mitrovic on loan :laughcont: ) a touch ambitious, Vydra was another I suggested which may have been less than viable- but know wholly what you mean, fan confidence to thrive and prosper is a necessity. It's a fine balancing act for the board, but given the huge financial boost this summer I hope they will be a bit more discerning about who they sell next summer if and when the time comes. Say we have 3 who get strong bids? Sell one. Keep the other 2, as I think we could absorb one as I did this summer, 3? Not so much.

Archived