IGNORED

Two matches in and panic aboard

Major Isewater

I’ve stated in various posts before that I’m content with Championship status. As a supporter since the 1970s I have seen too much of Div 3 for my liking so Championship is ok by me.  

I stress ‘ok’ because of course I want us to achieve promotion to the Prem at some time in my lifetime, but for now I accept Championship. 

Within that acceptance and overall contentment with the Championship status I have fluctuating opinions on individual games and performances; I’m happy when we win, satisfied with an good performance and miserable as fk when we lose. 

As Milo said earlier if we are looking like relegation is a real possibility around Xmas then I’ll be calling for change with the rest, but for now I’m ok with the way things are. 

Lets face it we have had 2 rubbish runs of results in the last 2 seasons, one of which was record breaking; I can therefore see no reason why we will not repeat this and have another poor run of results this season.

There have been big changes recently and this added to the absence of Fammy for the start and the fact that there are some very tricky games coming up all points to me that our poor run may come early this season.

Whatever happens LJ will still be here next season imo, so we go again and lets see.

43 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Lets face it we have had 2 rubbish runs of results in the last 2 seasons, one of which was record breaking; I can therefore see no reason why we will not repeat this and have another poor run of results this season

This is true, but amazingly you left out:

- best cup run for years, which led to.....

- highest profile for years (being noticed and discussed positively in the media) and...

- most number of victories against top-flight teams for years, including......

- beating Man U in front of a sell-out AG crowd plus millions of viewers on TV - and.....

- a very respectable couple of performances against the best team in the WORLD 

- highest average attendance for years

- highest attendance for first game of the season

- highest league position for years

- most TV appearances for years (ever?)

- highest expectations among pundits and ‘experts’ for years (ie not tipping us for relegation)

- longest run of consecutive seasons in the 2nd tier for years

- healthiest bank balance for years

- £10m made on a striker we would have sold for £100k a year ago

Some people (we all do) feed you cherry-picked facts which paint a picture they want you to buy into.   Yes those poor runs were exactly that: poor and frustrating,  but they didn’t end in relegation, so they weren’t disastrous- and taken alongside all the positive stuff that’s happened things are not that bad really. 

17 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I am really amazed at how many ' supporters ' are criticising the team after just two games in .

There's already people saying that NM isn't up to it as a replacement for FF, Baker needs replacing , Pato etc 

Do you not realise that we have had major surgery on the team and squad and it takes a little time for players to adapt to the changes ?

I'm guessing that these people have never played football other than in their bedrooms .

Part of the pleasure of following a football club is to watch the evolution of the squad and team .

I have never seen a City team so comfortable on the ball and we have a squad chockablock with talent. 

These are human beings not robots. Give them a chance and your backing as they find their place .

There will be surprising losses and victories just enjoy the ride .

It’s a Football Club Forum Major

people discuss , debate , speculate , and express their concerns , worrries or even fears at all stages of the season and in between

And With due respect , as for your highlighted comment - what are your footballing credentaials ?

some people panic and some can't wait for city to do badly so they can say I told you so,

We've had 2 games and two draws one against one of the favorites this year and the other against the team that beat west brom on a ground we've not won at since 1994,

Some perspective is needed

15 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I see it more as going for the girl in the office with glasses and her hair tied up. She makes you laugh and she sends you funny emails, full of slight sexual innuendo, you email back and after every email you find her more attractive. Then comes the Xmas party and she turns up in a tight, little black dress, hair down, glasses off......and you realise not only is she fit, you've already put all the ground work in, without really knowing it, and hey presto.......

You never noticed she was 'fit before the party???......

Too late my friend-Rudolph's beaten you to 'it............

14 minutes ago, Chappers said:

So unlike Catch-phrase, we can no longer ‘Say what we see’. It’s obviously inconclusive after just two games, one of which was against a very poor side, but as well as positives, there are some worrying signs.

Such as?

21 minutes ago, Chappers said:

So unlike Catch-phrase, we can no longer ‘Say what we see’. It’s obviously inconclusive after just two games, one of which was against a very poor side, but as well as positives, there are some worrying signs.

7 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Such as?

This'll be the one.1956617647_doomandgloom.jpg.313f49824a03bddb5eb5363e3d2fa394.jpg

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

people discuss , debate , speculate , and express their concerns , worrries or even fears at all stages of the season and in between

And With due respect , as for your highlighted comment - what are your footballing credentaials ?

22,000 posts on a football forum makes you an expert Bob and that is an irrefutable FACT.

36 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Such as?

Being outplayed for most of the  2nd half by a Forest team barely on first name terms.

Mediocre transfer window at best, no one in to set the pulse racing.

4 most popular players wanted away .

Threads such as this saying " as long as we are competitive"/enjoy the ride etc.

We should demand at  the very least a play off spot and our manager has had enough time and resources to make this a reality.

3 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Being outplayed for most of the  2nd half by a Forest team barely on first name terms. We have no God given right to be the best team on the pitch for 90 minutes, and Forest are one of the fancied teams this year. We also had players getting to know each other.

Mediocre transfer window at best, no one in to set the pulse racing. Too soon to say one way or the other.

4 most popular players wanted away . So what? What team doesn't lose players? IMO we now have a stronger squad.

Threads such as this saying " as long as we are competitive"/enjoy the ride etc.

We should demand at  the very least a play off spot and our manager has had enough time and resources to make this a reality. Why should we demand a play off spot, we are a small club in this league. Besides, how do you know that this won't be a reality this season?

17 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I see it more as going for the girl in the office with glasses and her hair tied up. She makes you laugh and she sends you funny emails, full of slight sexual innuendo, you email back and after every email you find her more attractive. Then comes the Xmas party and she turns up in a tight, little black dress, hair down, glasses off......and you realise not only is she fit, you've already put all the ground work in, without really knowing it, and hey presto.......

...keep talking!

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Err he’s a major. Salute when you address him

20 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I am really amazed at how many ' supporters ' are criticising the team after just two games in .

There's already people saying that NM isn't up to it as a replacement for FF, Baker needs replacing , Pato etc 

Do you not realise that we have had major surgery on the team and squad and it takes a little time for players to adapt to the changes ?

I'm guessing that these people have never played football other than in their bedrooms .

Part of the pleasure of following a football club is to watch the evolution of the squad and team .

I have never seen a City team so comfortable on the ball and we have a squad chockablock with talent. 

These are human beings not robots. Give them a chance and your backing as they find their place .

There will be surprising losses and victories just enjoy the ride .

Paterson and Baker have been very disappointing imo, continuing their lackadaisical form from last season.

They should be dependable stalwarts by now, 2 of the regular starters LJ can rely on to build the team around while the new players naturally take time to find their feet and blend in.

As they haven't been steady and reliable it's doubtful LJ truly 'trusts' them, and it's quite natural that fans should point out their deficiencies because both are experienced Championship players who should be bringing so much more to the team.

Very concerning for manager and fans alike that these 2 have continued last season's substandard displays into the new campaign and seem to lack not only form but fire in their bellies after what should have been a rejuvenating Summer's rest.

1 hour ago, ooRya said:

Being outplayed for most of the  2nd half by a Forest team barely on first name terms. We have no God given right to be the best team on the pitch for 90 minutes, and Forest are one of the fancied teams this year. We also had players getting to know each other.

Mediocre transfer window at best, no one in to set the pulse racing. Too soon to say one way or the other.

4 most popular players wanted away . So what? What team doesn't lose players? IMO we now have a stronger squad.

We should demand at  the very least a play off spot and our manager has had enough time and resources to make this a reality. Why should we demand a play off spot, we are a small club in this league. Besides, how do you know that this won't be a reality this season?

We all obviously want the best for Bristol City and to play at the highest level , my concern is that as a club we seem world class in shooting ourselves in the foot , for every step forward we seem to fall down a pot hole.

4 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

This is true, but amazingly you left out:

- best cup run for years, which led to.....

- highest profile for years (being noticed and discussed positively in the media) and...

- most number of victories against top-flight teams for years, including......

- beating Man U in front of a sell-out AG crowd plus millions of viewers on TV - and.....

- a very respectable couple of performances against the best team in the WORLD 

- highest average attendance for years

- highest attendance for first game of the season

- highest league position for years

- most TV appearances for years (ever?)

- highest expectations among pundits and ‘experts’ for years (ie not tipping us for relegation)

- longest run of consecutive seasons in the 2nd tier for years

- healthiest bank balance for years

- £10m made on a striker we would have sold for £100k a year ago

Some people (we all do) feed you cherry-picked facts which paint a picture they want you to buy into.   Yes those poor runs were exactly that: poor and frustrating,  but they didn’t end in relegation, so they weren’t disastrous- and taken alongside all the positive stuff that’s happened things are not that bad really

Most of the above is centred around a cup run, and many of the team that achieved that are no longer here; in my eyes dis-appointed by this clubs actions in the transfer window after that run. Our form since then has dropped alarmingly  and Milan has also left the building as have Engval and Maggers.

Point being we are now no-where near the team that performed in that cup game and a bucket load of newbies have been taken on to perform in a team that is likely to change almost weekly.

We also have our only top scorer left from last season side-lined and likely to take a while to get back to match fitness, but yes many fans think we will be back to our best (before xmas a year back) pretty quick and everything will be fine, they live in hope, which is fine as well, cant see it myself.

Difficult couple of months coming up imo we will do well to get a couple of wins and double figure points in that time....sorry but that's my opinion.

16 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Most of the above is centred around a cup run, and many of the team that achieved that are no longer here; in my eyes dis-appointed by this clubs actions in the transfer window after that run. Our form since then has dropped alarmingly  and Milan has also left the building as have Engval and Maggers.

Point being we are now no-where near the team that performed in that cup game and a bucket load of newbies have been taken on to perform in a team that is likely to change almost weekly.

We also have our only top scorer left from last season side-lined and likely to take a while to get back to match fitness, but yes many fans think we will be back to our best (before xmas a year back) pretty quick and everything will be fine, they live in hope, which is fine as well, cant see it myself.

Difficult couple of months coming up imo we will do well to get a couple of wins and double figure points in that time....sorry but that's my opinion.

Aah yes, but those ex players you refer to fondly are the same ones who contributed to the dire spells you mentioned in your earlier post ;)

I agree we are unlikely to reach that level of completeness (Manchester games) for a while (if we ever do), but we are less likely to be crippled by an injury or ban. 

I don’t think this season will be a bad one. Of course that depends on expectations. 

20 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The big problem is that we are so predictable.

When we got the early goal v Forest, I turned to those next to me and said that we'll now try and defend that lead. So after twenty minutes in, we started allowing Forest to get a toe hold and from then on, we never looked like winning. 

On to Bolton, where we dominated possession but hardly looked like getting a goal. After half time, the realist in me took over and I'm thinking when do Bolton get the winner. Not one but two in five minutes and we have to play catch up against one of the nailed on favourites for the drop. 

We haven't won away since Sheffield United last December. It's all so predictable isn't it. We've had five wins since 30th December. 

It's not moaning for the sake of moaning. It is the total understanding that we are struggling to get any positive consistency in our play for the last five months of football. 

And now, Major, you are saying we should all be upbeat and content. 

No he's not saying that, at least thats not how i read it. From my perspective the Major is asking us not to be too rash in our judgement of our new-look squad,  and is suggesting we might be wise to give the new players a better chance to gel, for Fammy to come back and the team to properly find it's feet over the course of the next half dozen or so games. Two matches in does not offer much perspective of the season ahead, even the club's harshest critics must see that, surely.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Aah yes, but those ex players you refer to fondly are the same ones who contributed to the dire spells you mentioned in your earlier post ;)

I agree we are unlikely to reach that level of completeness (Manchester games) for a while (if we ever do), but we are less likely to be crippled by an injury or ban. 

I don’t think this season will be a bad one. Of course that depends on expectations. 

Serious question; what do you believe happened after we reached "that level of completeness" to see such an alarming drop off?

I believe poor signings were shoehorned into the side, this upset the applecart; didn't go down to well with players, toys left the pram and some players gave up and left. This was sad really as we were 2nd and riding high; bottom line... poor management decisions cost us dear imo.

I wouldn't bet on us going up or going down, but will be doing well to reach last seasons finish, this clubs blooming frustrating most of the time.

PS We already seem crippled by a ban with many praying for Fammy`s return, if only we kept Milan ?

10 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Serious question; what do you believe happened after we reached "that level of completeness" to see such an alarming drop off?

I believe poor signings were shoehorned into the side, this upset the applecart; didn't go down to well with players, toys left the pram and some players gave up and left. This was sad really as we were 2nd and riding high; bottom line... poor management decisions cost us dear imo.

I wouldn't bet on us going up or going down, but will be doing well to reach last seasons finish, this clubs blooming frustrating most of the time.

PS We already seem crippled by a ban with many praying for Fammy`s return, if only we kept Milan ?

Injuries, fatigue- and yeah perhaps the loan signings. Riding on the wave of the Cup run momentum helped too...many factors IMO as to why we went wrong- add into that tactical failings...

That said- I'm adamant we should have made 5th or 6th from where we were. Not saying top 2 that realistic- there are/were some perhaps inflated claims, on here some people said we were miles ahead of Cardiff. No we weren't- we'd cut a gap very well to overtake them- but only goal difference separated us. That's the reality.

2 minutes ago, city2015 said:

Can I remind you:

We have 0 wins from our last 6 competitive games

We have 1 win from our last 10 competitive games

We have 3 wins from our last 19 competitive games

;) 

Flip side, unbeaten so far this season ;)

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I never played for England but my point was really that many seem to   confuddle reality with video games where you can just ' buy ' a ' player ' and he slots in straight away .

Sophisticated though these games are,  luckily human beings can not be completely broken down into a series of 1's and 0's .

28 minutes ago, City18 said:

Can I remind you:

We have 0 wins from our last 6 competitive games

We have 1 win from our last 10 competitive games

We have 3 wins from our last 19 competitive games

;) 

omg :yawn:its worse than I thought

Archived