IGNORED

Two matches in and panic aboard

Major Isewater

52 minutes ago, hodge said:

To some finishing say 10th this season would be disappointing 

out of the bottom 3 will do, anything else is a bonus.

Here since 1967, I have finally worked out that its best to expect little to nothing, it avoids disappointment and could bring a surprise. (sometimes)

6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

There has been a complete over reaction to our opening two games by many fans and this has surprised me. I'm quite content with our two results. Put it this way, in the past few years we have come flying out of the blocks and then faded quite dramatically. 

Maybe we will fly at the end this time

10 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

There has been a complete over reaction to our opening two games by many fans and this has surprised me. I'm quite content with our two results. Put it this way, in the past few years we have come flying out of the blocks and then faded quite dramatically. 

I’ve stayed out of most of the early season predictions and debates but in fairness a lot of the concerns I’ve read , whether right / wrong , justified / not appear to be on our approach and form since Christmas and then opinions on the transfer dealings and aspects of our performance in the first two games , 

Not just on two games 

If two draws means we are back to the sort of side that was tough to beat, then I'm fairly upbeat.  I don’t think we are blessed enough with quality players to go into any game in this division expecting a win, so not losing us a step in the right direction.

In 17/18 We went from a side that was tough to beat pre-Xmas to a side easy to beat in the second half of the season.  I think it bred confidence that we were attritional, and actually scored a few late goals in that first half of the season.

I undertook an analysis of LJ’s subs for the first 44 League games of the season last season trying to see if his subs (and therefore an assessment of his tactical reactions) made a difference.  It showed a reasonable correlation across both halves of the season.

Looking at it again, it probably shows that we were ‘in’ more games first half of the season that second half, e.g. we were winning or drawing more games in 2017, whereas in 2018 we were chasing more games.

Imho, we need to be a tougher nut to crack, especially away from home.  It’s fashionable for a manager to say “we aim to win every game”, but I think a number of (more experienced) managers think “let’s not get beat - that’s our first priority“.  I think LJ does go out to win every game.  Is that a bad thing?  Depends on your perspective.

Its certainly too early to judge after two games, and things can change pretty quickly.

1. Pato’s goal might be the catalyst to improved performances through confidence in hitting the net
  2. Baker might see Saturday’s challenge of coming up against Flint as the catalyst to get his arse in gear, professional pride and all that.

Pato has always been inconsistent.  I’m not too worried about him...it would be nice to be able to predict which one is gonna play.

Baker is more complex, his form trend is more worrying.  I never saw lazy performances in his loan spell, red mist occasionally?  Yes.  But the Baker post-QPR red card is not the one I thought was key to our successes before the red.  This is now a man-management solution for LJ imho.  

2 draws against good sides, 2/6 points! mix that in with a few wins and the squad gelling, looks pretty promising to me, would be nice to see a striker up front who can actually play football, bench Paterson until he starts firing on all four, as we know he can. 

Plenty of goals tonight and a clean sheet!

1 hour ago, hodge said:

To some finishing say 10th this season would be disappointing 

would you be happy with that? I wouldn't be, and there is nothing wrong with that, realistically it's probably about right, but personally settling for mid table to me would show a lack of ambition on my part anyway.

17 minutes ago, dave36 said:

2 draws against good sides, 2/6 points! mix that in with a few wins and the squad gelling, looks pretty promising to me, would be nice to see a striker up front who can actually play football, bench Paterson until he starts firing on all four, as we know he can. 

Plenty of goals tonight and a clean sheet!

I don't think many people view Bolton as a good side.

We have won 3 in 19!

We need to start winning league games ASAP.

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

would you be happy with that? I wouldn't be, and there is nothing wrong with that, realistically it's probably about right, but personally settling for mid table to me would show a lack of ambition on my part anyway.

Factoring loss of key players and new players establishing themselves, if we had no long winless runs then 10th is a decent performance. Take issue with the bold part though, if we were to finish 10th it doesn't mean we've settled for mid table necessarily if we've performed well but finished there. Frankly a few finishes around 10th wouldn't be bad for us as a club given our yo-yo nature with league 1, establishing being a top 10 team but some of our fans would get probably annoyed at not being in the play offs. While everyones aim would be to finish in the play offs we're fighting against teams with considerably greater resources so its hard to force our way in there last season as we saw.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And by the same token some on here that will try and defend anything and everything  

Best sign them up and put them in the back 4! :)

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Factoring loss of key players and new players establishing themselves, if we had no long winless runs then 10th is a decent performance. Take issue with the bold part though, if we were to finish 10th it doesn't mean we've settled for mid table necessarily if we've performed well but finished there. Frankly a few finishes around 10th wouldn't be bad for us as a club given our yo-yo nature with league 1, establishing being a top 10 team but some of our fans would get probably annoyed at not being in the play offs. While everyones aim would be to finish in the play offs we're fighting against teams with considerably greater resources so its hard to force our way in there last season as we saw.

if you read it correctly I said it would show a lack of ambition on MY part for me to be happy with 10th.

When you've been a fan since 1982/3, knowing our history (and our context), and understanding the context of the Championship, tenth, in any season is a great achievement.

We have to be careful what we wish for.

We were in the play off final in 2006/7. And look how that ended, not particularly well I recall.

I'll offer two schools of thought for a promotion push: 

1. Grab the opportunity for promotion whilst it's there and bugger the financial (if any) consequences or 
  2. Build slowly and sustainably a squad with youth, talent and balance that can get promotion over a longer time period.

We won't do the first, we've tried a couple of times using different methods, they haven't worked (David James anyone!). So we are going to do the second. If you don't like it, go and support Man U, Chelsea or some other gob shite premier league club.

Supporting BCFC has never been easy. Never will be. Enjoy the wins. Swear at the losses. Never lose the hope.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I never played for England but my point was really that many seem to   confuddle reality with video games where you can just ' buy ' a ' player ' and he slots in straight away .

Sophisticated though these games are,  luckily human beings can not be completely broken down into a series of 1's and 0's .

At a guess I'd suggest the vast majority of the posters on here that dare question certain aspects of how the club is run, managed and results have probably never even picked up FIFA or Pro Evo or even FM. There's a bigger picture to why people ask questions and debate BCFC than just selection. Many just seem to be happy with whatever the club does and will defend it to the hilt. That may be their definition of support and good for them. But that shouldn't mean that those of us who question certain decisions are derided as non supporters. As long as there is perspective and reasoning then all debate is good debate surely? 

31 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

When you've been a fan since 1982/3, knowing our history (and our context), and understanding the context of the Championship, tenth, in any season is a great achievement.

We have to be careful what we wish for.

We were in the play off final in 2006/7. And look how that ended, not particularly well I recall.

I'll offer two schools of thought for a promotion push: 

1. Grab the opportunity for promotion whilst it's there and bugger the financial (if any) consequences or 
  2. Build slowly and sustainably a squad with youth, talent and balance that can get promotion over a longer time period.

We won't do the first, we've tried a couple of times using different methods, they haven't worked (David James anyone!). So we are going to do the second. If you don't like it, go and support Man U, Chelsea or some other gob shite premier league club.

Supporting BCFC has never been easy. Never will be. Enjoy the wins. Swear at the losses. Never lose the hope.

You were doing ok until the bit in red, maybe which is a bit like; how dare you not agree with the master plan, and bit like something our present leader SL would come out with.

Sad really and I am not going anywhere I have loved my club since 1967 and still do, the one and only. Will say what I think though if that's ok?

Archived