IGNORED

Poll on an expanded/second singing section

Mr Popodopolous

Would you if available be interested in an expanded/2nd Ashton Gate Singing Section?  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A quick poll and it could be interesting.

I sometimes mention this topic, periodically and I thought it maybe interesting to gauge views tbh.

This is obviously subject to feasibility and maybe a non-starter- still would be interested if there is indeed a base for interest in this. To do so, though people obviously will vote as they like, it would really IMO help not skew the results if singers didn't vote yes.

Here's a reason why @Pezo

I recall last season, and it may still be the same this year, hearing of stewards checking tickets on entry...

Presumably that was well obviously people who shouldn't be in there trying to do so. Hence it indicates an underlying demands IMO.

A key question for the demand however, is the size.

@BessexRED You're not wrong. Whole End behind the goal standing, having a sing song- wow that would have a bit of a transformative effect.

As a side effect, even if not standing it may cause a ripple effect of further noise, joining chanting into the Dolman.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here's a reason why @Pezo

I recall last season, and it may still be the same this year, hearing of stewards checking tickets on entry...

Presumably that was well obviously people who shouldn't be in there trying to do so. Hence it indicates an underlying demands IMO.

A key question is the size.

I think your correct but it shouldn't be the singing section - it's either the least expensive seats, standing or unreserved section. And that's the problem in my opinion - it's trying to be too much. If you made the least expensive seats somewhere else I think a good 60% would move out allowing singers in. 

It’s all very well saying expand the standing section, but expand it where? I’ve called it the standing section because that’s what it is. (City can’t call it a standing section, as standing is illegal). There is no easy way to expand standing without blocking the views of those who are sitting. The lower Dolman could be standing, but what do you do with the people who have season tickets there and are happy to sit? The same applies to expanding it anywhere else - sight lines of those sit would be blocked 

27 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I think your correct but it shouldn't be the singing section - it's either the least expensive seats, standing or unreserved section. And that's the problem in my opinion - it's trying to be too much. If you made the least expensive seats somewhere else I think a good 60% would move out allowing singers in. 

It's hard to gauge, isn't it? Wasn't the EastEnd from reopen in its modern form to the end in 2014 fairly affordable?

To me it's a fine balancing act- could a rise price out singers or in fact price them in? Not sure there's a perfect solution, but that could be worth exploring.

@RedDave I don't know how that can be prevented tbh? I agree it's not a great look though...additionally I recall v Brentford on Easter Monday, when not only the Brentford fans-  par for the course- but possibly some in the singing section were chanting (almost in unison) 'Is there a fire drill at those leaving. That could be construed as moderately embarrassing IMO.

@pongo88 That is a valid point indeed. I'm no expert in sightlines, I wonder how far across it could be expanded without an impact on those who wish to sit.

Even if it was more towards the centre (again, sightline experts please correct)! would that impact?

Obviously there are issues and complexities, however this is merely a poll to see if there is a demand, an interest.

Interested to know about the H&S gone mad angle. I only went in EastEnd once or twice as overspill back in 2008 time and great that it was, I don't remember a great OTT health and safety clampdown emphasis. Not saying it was unsafe just that it wasn't overkill. 

The most obvious is asking for gangways to be kept reasonably clear...if that's about it, is there much of an overkill beyond that?

Like I say not been in Atyeo Singing Section in 2015-17, let alone South Stand one so dunno if it's vastly different from that angle.

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I don't know about expanded sections, but an expanded repertoire ire would be good !

All the bigger clubs seem to have any amount of songs  (hear them on TV ) haven't got a clue what they're singing but it's different...........what have we got , about five, if that ?

Now that's an interesting point you raise.

I had a different angle to it though which I'll explain.

When I started going, we had a decent variety of songs- that were fairly straight forward but were something people would join in with. Nothing flashy but could spread well:

1) 'We've got Mickey Bell'

2) 'Ooo Shaun Taylor'!

3) 'Scott Scott Super Scott'

4) 'Tinman is a Shithead' (Admittedly not for everyone owing to swearing and some of the lyrics)

Then a little later, we had some more- not unique but did the job- and better IMO than 'Come on You Reds'

5) 'Heeeeey- Hey Jonesy'

6) 'Boom Boom Jamie McCombe'!

7) Yes it's a ripoff of a music song but..'What's that coming over the hill? Enoch Showumni'

I think the last excellent one was 'Freeman's on fire' Will Grigg and Vardy versions have been significantly more famous but didn't we devise it?

Also I liked 'Frankie Fielding's in the building'

Other chants that have slipped away- though far from specific to us...

'Referee's a w****r' seems to have been superseded by 'Shit referee'. First one more rousing IMO.

Second comparison. 'Red Army' v 'Come on your Reds.' Always preferred the former personally. Lastly, wasn't there a 'Cider Army' chant at one point too?

I'm sure I've missed a few...but the number of chants that might be joined in with by many seems to have declined in the last 10, 20 years.

EDIT: How could I forget? 'Cider Submarine' Good chant IMO.

Here’s my suggestion. 

I am in s24, to the left of the current singing bit. MOST of us there join in on most of the songs so I think expanding the section across S24 wouldn’t be met with much resistance from the majority.  There are a few elderly in there that may be resistant to the relaxed standing, so the club would have to offer them a move to another part of the south stand, or as a gesture of compensation a one season only offer of seats of their choice in ANY stand for the same price.  Bit late for this season, but maybe for the start of the next?

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Although I’m not personally interested in the singing at AG ( been there done that) I do get mildly irritated when opposition fans start chanting “is this a library”...................:facepalm:

Motre irritating still IMO is when our own singing section chanted "Is there a fire drill" v Brentford. Tad embarrassing tbh- not least because the way the layout is, was meant that some of them plus the Brentford fans were chanting it at the same time and it was cascading down from both ends. :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

I've been impressed with Section 82 over the past year.

Very vocal at times and some great displays.

But one pet hate is for the amount of fans who have purchased a season ticket in a 'singing section'

The amount that just stand there and don't sing is incredible. 

Is it actually a singing section though? Isn’t it just a section where standing is tolerated? You don’t have to stand up to sing, nor do you have to sing if you don’t want to. Each to their own and all that. 

• Admin
42 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Is it actually a singing section though? Isn’t it just a section where standing is tolerated? You don’t have to stand up to sing, nor do you have to sing if you don’t want to. Each to their own and all that. 

and anecdotally seems to be an area more and more people have moved to due to it's favourable pricing

7 hours ago, gl1 said:

Here’s my suggestion. 

I am in s24, to the left of the current singing bit. MOST of us there join in on most of the songs so I think expanding the section across S24 wouldn’t be met with much resistance from the majority.  There are a few elderly in there that may be resistant to the relaxed standing, so the club would have to offer them a move to another part of the south stand, or as a gesture of compensation a one season only offer of seats of their choice in ANY stand for the same price.  Bit late for this season, but maybe for the start of the next?

So,  if the standing section was expanded into S24, and “the few elderly” were thrown out, the people sat to the left of S24 wouldn’t be able to see any play near the corner flag unless they stood up as well. Then the block to the left of them would also have to stand up, and so on across the whole of the South Stand. 

Sorry gl1, it’s not a workable suggestion 

22 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

So,  if the standing section was expanded into S24, and “the few elderly” were thrown out, the people sat to the left of S24 wouldn’t be able to see any play near the corner flag unless they stood up as well. Then the block to the left of them would also have to stand up, and so on across the whole of the South Stand. 

Sorry gl1, it’s not a workable suggestion 

Will happily concede there's no perfect, one-size fits all, catch-all solution- mind you isn't that the case with most things?

I do think though that somehow, the singing section, vocal element does need expanding. Ideally safe standing across the whole of an end behind the goal if or when it gets legalised, but that's still far from certain.

Maybe how about a swap between people lower down who maybe inclined to stand, and people high. Obviously the club cannot be seen to be promoting standing, but informal ticket swapping maybe- and I stress maybe could provide some sort of solution.

As in, turn a blind eye to standing up the back, back couple of rows maybe right along the stands and those less inclined to sit could go up those top 2 rows. I dare say it happens already but something wider ranging would help, because the current situation isn't fully working IMO.

Archived