IGNORED

Poll on an expanded/second singing section

Mr Popodopolous

Would you if available be interested in an expanded/2nd Ashton Gate Singing Section?  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Will happily concede there's no perfect, one-size fits all, catch-all solution- mind you isn't that the case with most things?

I do think though that somehow, the singing section, vocal element does need expanding. Ideally safe standing across the whole of an end behind the goal if or when it gets legalised, but that's still far from certain.

Maybe how about a swap between people lower down who maybe inclined to stand, and people high. Obviously the club cannot be seen to be promoting standing, but informal ticket swapping maybe- and I stress maybe could provide some sort of solution.

As in, turn a blind eye to standing up the back, back couple of rows maybe right along the stands and those less inclined to sit could go up those top 2 rows. I dare say it happens already but something wider ranging would help, because the current situation isn't fully working IMO.

I’m not sure about safe standing across the whole of the South Stand as I don’t believe there are that many people who want to stand. (Is the South Stand capacity approx 5-6k?). Support on the forum may not be representative of the City supporters as a whole. A few rows standing across the the whole of the back of the stand would be better but this also has problems - i e getting the people who have season tickets at the back with friends to move forward. If they don’t want to move there would be more agro for the club. 

IMO  main problem for extending the standing is more basic. The club is quite happy with the current situation. The South Stand is a sell out / near sell out for each match, so why start upsetting season ticket holders by moving them around to accommodate standing? 

The only way it could be expanded is if a line was drawn from the the front of the current S82 area to the rear of S24 (for example). Anything behind the line could be added to S82 without encroaching on the viewing of anyone else and the area would be expanded. This could be continued across the whole stand if needed but I would suggest a line from the front corner of S82 across to the rear middle would be more than adequate. Nobody would have their sight lines encroached upon by doing that.

The image below shows what I mean with the same lines for the other side of the SS added as well.

Aahton Gate seating plan.png

55 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The only way it could be expanded is if a line was drawn from the the front of the current S82 area to the rear of S24 (for example). Anything behind the line could be added to S82 without encroaching on the viewing of anyone else and the area would be expanded. This could be continued across the whole stand if needed but I would suggest a line from the front corner of S82 across to the rear middle would be more than adequate. Nobody would have their sight lines encroached upon by doing that.

The image below shows what I mean with the same lines for the other side of the SS added as well.

That’s the best option I’ve seen, if it’s possible to get people to move and get City to buy into it. 

This is what the club should have done in the first place instead of doing musical chairs with the fans. They could still do it if they had some imagination. They need to ask all the fans from the top section if they'd prefer to stand or sit to know the numbers.

SeatingPlan-Football.thumb.png.a3ee3f3038e23c7435bad547de8c6cd0.png

P.S. The X is roughly where I used to stand in the old East End maybe a bit lower. I'd love to go back to that position again.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don’t get what’s going on in your map with the lines drawn from S24 to S22 and S25 to S22, would people be sat in front of or behind those lines? Also hard to enforce such lines unless they’re literally drawn on the seats. Even then I can’t see it working as you need everyone together standing to be effective, not scattered in weird triangle shapes across a stand.

If they want to expand it then just do it for the whole of S24, the demand is certainly there given club officials on here claimed hundreds were trying to sneak in every game last year and as such unleashed ridiculously over the top amounts of stewards on the stairs for games such as Leeds.

11 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I don’t get what’s going on in your map with the lines drawn from S24 to S22 and S25 to S22, would people be sat in front of or behind those lines? Also hard to enforce such lines unless they’re literally drawn on the seats. Even then I can’t see it working as you need everyone together standing to be effective, not scattered in weird triangle shapes across a stand.

If they want to expand it then just do it for the whole of S24, the demand is certainly there given club officials on here claimed hundreds were trying to sneak in every game last year and as such unleashed ridiculously over the top amounts of stewards on the stairs for games such as Leeds.

Those in front of the lines would be seated and those behind could be stood. It's only an idea by the way. The 2 lines going from the bottom of the current S82 are examples of extending into part of S24 plus expanding into the middle of the South stand without impairing anyones sight lines.

If, as in your idea, S82 was expanded into S24, that would have a detrimental effect on those in S25, which won't be allowed to happen due to sight lines. My idea doesn't have any detrimental effect on anyone in front of the lines if those behind them were standing. As i said it's only an idea and do agree it would be difficult to enforce.

14 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

This is what the club should have done in the first place instead of doing musical chairs with the fans. They could still do it if they had some imagination. They need to ask all the fans from the top section if they'd prefer to stand or sit to know the numbers.

P.S. The X is roughly where I used to stand in the old East End maybe a bit lower. I'd love to go back to that position again.

Yep, this is a big part of why there's an issue.

The club didn't really think it through to begin with. I appreciate the thought with safe standing etc, but there never felt like there was a proper plan from the club towards the supporters who want to sing and stand. Seemed to go from one bodge job solution to another.

11 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Don't see why it's that ott in that instance- I know stewarding in that area can be ott, but at the same time if official bodies see it, the potential for overcrowding then the viability of the current arrangements could have been called into question.

14 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

SeatingPlan-Football.thumb.png.a3ee3f3038e23c7435bad547de8c6cd0.png

That's a great shout and could release the current S82 corner to standard seating if wanted. Nice and simple plus nobody is blocked at all.

6 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's a great shout and could release the current S82 corner to standard seating if wanted. Nice and simple plus nobody is blocked at all.

Cheers mate. If only the club could understand the word simple we wouldn't get so much grief all the time

Looks encouraging in the poll.

I know and appreciate that this site isn't the whole fanbase, may well represent only a segment. However 174 in favour suggests IMO- and I'm not going to make a leap that says it suggests suddenly everyone wants the whole South Stand as a singing section idea based on one poll- but suggests to me that there is sufficient interest in some kind of expansion. 174 is an increase of 10%+, assuming all those who voted are not already in the section.

Add in hundreds of extra fans trying to get in there last season apparently (as per @Aaron-Bcfc ) and yeah it suggests that interest in an expansion or additional provisions to be made, is concrete. 

As always, the issue is how to get it done logistically- as in how to do it without upsetting a lot of existing ST holders or wrecking sightlines, but as I always thought there is a latent interest in an expanded singing section.

1 hour ago, Ohbasso said:

Making the whole South Stand unreserved standing would be my preferred option but I appreciate that’s very unlikely. 

Another option would be to make a second area in the South Stand/Lansdown corner S18 & 19?

Feeling that maybe the most realistic option- the second area I mean, not the whole South Stand as unreserved standing tbh, has a lot of logistical issues, plus would need a change in the law- as you said, very unlikely.

Archived