IGNORED

Ian Wright spouting crap!

formerly known as ivan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45177178

Why does everything have to be racially motivated? There are many black players who don’t receive criticism but when one does it’s racially drive? Many a player has been criticised over the years.

On the pitch I think Henderson gets as much, if not more, slated. Plus the Sterling of Man City is a good player and I haven’t heard anyone say otherwise. It’s the Sterling of England that’s shit!

Anything to stay relevant I guess for Mr Wright...

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45177178

Why does everything have to be racially motivated? There are many black players who don’t receive criticism but when one does it’s racially drive? Many a player has been criticised over the years.

On the pitch I think Henderson gets as much, if not more, slated. Plus the Sterling of Man City is a good player and I haven’t heard anyone say otherwise. It’s the Sterling of England that’s shit!

Anything to stay relevant I guess for Mr Wright...

The criticism had nothing to do with racism and more to do with the fact he was England’s worst player and hasn’t scored an international goal in two years but continues to be picked 

I don’t get this - it’s such a lazy, fall-back position to just claim racism rather than look for any other truth - Sol Campbell claiming he wasn’t made England captain because of his skin colour was the final straw for me - utterly pathetic and a good example of a person who looked for an easy ‘get out’ position rather than the truth...

It’s too easy nowadays to put racism as the reason . 

His article says “how many people do you see get the criticism sterling gets ?”

I seem to recall it wasn’t long ago that Rooney , john Terry would get similar criticism when they didn’t play well - is it racist they were called out ? No ... obviously not .  

Wright forgets that sterling also attracts attention due to his perceived poor lifestyle - ie how he spends his money , his social media approach , the infamous gun tattoo .

The minute he has a poor game , he gets more grief as people will evaluate his lifestyle and conclude that it’s because of that  - not because of the colour of his skin . 

Same applied with Pogba last year I seem to recall with how he portrayed himself ie his brand vs how well he played . 

He was not good at the World Cup as his form for Man City was last season  - surely that’s clear ?

49 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

The criticism had nothing to do with racism and more to do with the fact he was England’s worst player and hasn’t scored an international goal in two years but continues to be picked 

But the criticism started way before this world cup.

In the last four to five years he has been criticised in the press for (amongst other things)...

Spending money on his mums house, using a budget airline (but also for renting a private Jet in a different story), not having a clean car, buying batteries at Poundland, shopping at primark and eating an ice cream with his girlfriend after we got knocked out the world cup. 

The scum newspaper a few years ago ran a rags to riches story on him which they branded him an idiot in the headline for no reason whatsoever. 

I'm not saying it's racist but there is definately some sort of agenda against him. 

His comments do not help

Players ratings at the World Cup is down to a lot of people who don’t understand football as they only jump on board watching England.

They don’t see work rate or space creation for others or relieving pressure. They see goals = 0 - period !! 

44 minutes ago, Selred said:

Sorry but the amount of ridiculous stories about Raheem, there clearly is an agenda against him. 

If it’s racist or not, there is an agenda.

10 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

In the last four to five years he has been criticised in the press for (amongst other things)...

Spending money on his mums house, using a budget airline (but also for renting a private Jet in a different story), not having a clean car, buying batteries at Poundland, shopping at primark and eating an ice cream with his girlfriend after we got knocked out the world cup. 

The scum newspaper a few years ago ran a rags to riches story on him which they branded him an idiot in the headline for no reason whatsoever. 

I'm not saying it's racist but there is definately some sort of agenda against him. 

Agree entirely. There is an agenda against him in certain media outlets.

One recently ran a story about footballers dealing drugs which was accompanied by a picture of Sterling despite him having absolutely no connection to the story at all.

Given that there seems to be no obvious reason for this (unless I’ve missed the pictures of him drowning some kittens) it’s a reasonable inference that his skin colour might be an underlying cause. 

Criticism of his play for England is fine, but this goes well beyond.  

Sad if there is some conscious or unconscious bias against him due to his skin colour. As others have said above, does this happen to others who are less talented than him and white, possibly not. We don't hear a furore about Jordan Henderson's lifestyle/tattoos/favoured shopping outlets, despite many believing that he has turned in poor performances previously. Additionally, possibly harder for us to evaluate, if something is racist or not, when we aren't part of that marginalised group. Step forward if you are black and posting on this thread, and don't believe there is in iota of racism involved in Sterling's treatment in the press...

Similarly with the lack of representation of black managers in the game, disproportionate to black players, there has to be something else afoot. All very well saying John Barnes, Paul Ince, etc. are poor managers, and that may well be true, but how few black managers get the opportunity not to be successful in the very first place, a lot less than their white counterparts.    

8 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

One recently ran a story about footballers dealing drugs which was accompanied by a picture of Sterling despite him having absolutely no connection to the story at all....

Which media outlet was this? Totally expect him to sue them if this was the case....

20 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

In the last four to five years he has been criticised in the press for (amongst other things)....buying batteries at Poundland, shopping at primark....

Why would a footballer get criticised for these things? Which media outlets did this? It’s like the Noel Gallagher interview when he explained why he moved to London, he said, ...”back home in Manchester if I went into a pub and bought everyone a beer I was a flash bastard and if I didn’t buy everyone a beer I was a tight bastard, I just couldn’t win...”

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Which media outlet was this? Totally expect him to sue them if this was the case....

I don’t recall off the top of my head. It was reported at the time and I think the picture removed from the article PDQ.

8 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

One recently ran a story about footballers dealing drugs which was accompanied by a picture of Sterling despite him having absolutely no connection to the story at all.

Given that there seems to be no obvious reason for this (unless I’ve missed the pictures of him drowning some kittens) it’s a reasonable inference that his skin colour might be an underlying cause. 

Criticism of his play for England is fine, but this goes well beyond.  

I think there is an agenda against him but it's nothing to do with racism, it's the perceptions about him that are the issue.

There were perceptions about Ashley Cole too -  again not racism.

I actually listened to the program this evening, and when this debate started -by Ian Wright ( who I actually do like on 606 )   he was shot down by Andy Townsend, regarding his claims that Sterlings critics, whilst playing for England, were driven by racism - as Townsend rightly pointed out, there was not criticism of Rashford, Lingard etc.

I am afraid Wrighty got this wrong

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why would a footballer get criticised for these things? Which media outlets did this? It’s like the Noel Gallagher interview when he explained why he moved to London, he said, ...”back home in Manchester if I went into a pub and bought everyone a beer I was a flash bastard and if I didn’t buy everyone a beer I was a tight bastard, I just couldn’t win...”

If you have Twitter search out @adamkeyworth who has a very good summary - I can’t work out how to link it sorry. 

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No idea why a footballer would get criticism for these things. But he does whilst other players don't.

I'm sure you can guess which media... Mostly the sun, the star and the daily mail. There is a twitter thread which lists them all- If i can find it i will post it here.

6 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think there is an agenda against him but it's nothing to do with racism, it's the perceptions about him that are the issue.

I actually listened to the program this evening, and when this debate started -by Ian Wright ( who I actually do like on 606 )   he was shot down by Andy Townsend, regarding his claims that Sterlings critics, whilst playing for England, were driven by racism - as Townsend rightly pointed out, there was not criticism of Rashford, Lingard etc.

Again... I'm not saying it's racism... I'm not convinced it is. But unlike the others sterling is an immigrant born in jamaica. The other players were all born in England.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Sorry but the amount of ridiculous stories about Raheem, there clearly is an agenda against him. 

If it’s racist or not, there is an agenda.

There was the issue with the tattoo prior to the World Cup which let’s face it, given everything that is going on in today’s world was a stupid tattoo to get regardless of the reason for it. Act like a **** and seek attention and you will get it!

Apart from that I am not aware of anything else other than poor performances for England. As I said he is certainly not alone on that front.

Arsenal fans gave him stick on Sunday which I believed was down to him apparently rejecting a move to them and not racially motivated. Liverpool fans also give him stick for obvious reasons. Not sure what other abuse he gets?

19 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I’m not saying it definitely is racially motivated - just that’s it’s a reasonable inference as to the reasons behind his treatment by certain sections of the media.

This isn’t about criticism of his performances on the pitch, by and large the ‘football’ media are not the issue here, but the continued negative stories about and associated with him from other branches of the press. 

If it’s a perception issue though, who sets the agenda for what that perception is and how it’s formed? 

God give me strength !  racism !  An agenda

There was an agenda to keep him in the England side when as a goal scorer he was incapable of finding the net for about 20 plus matches, and forgive me but should forwards be in the side to score goals ?

And if you cannot do that there should be a debate about your worth in the  England side.   It has nothing to do if he was white skinned, pink skinned, black skinned, he was just not scoring goals.  No one slagged him off for that failing, infact the media were kind to him due to the sheer effort and running he put in.

Wright and anyone else who thinks it was a 'race' thing most likely think the moon is made of cheese as well  ?‍⚖️ 

And I will add as well, think back about the late Graham Taylor whose head was made to resemble a turnip after failing to qualify for a world cup !   That was stick !

39 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

33 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

I don’t recall off the top of my head. It was reported at the time and I think the picture removed from the article PDQ.

It was a tweet linking to an article which contained the picture. It was the Sun.

Screenshot_20180813_230833.jpg

3 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

It was a tweet linking to an article which contained the picture. It was the Sun.

Screenshot_20180813_230833.jpg

Thank you for finding that.

Here’s another one where the Sun put his name and tattoo into a report of two stabbings, that were totally unconnected with him or his tattoo. That’s his legs on the right hand side.

998BDADA-54E4-49DD-931E-1AD12F6BB57E.thumb.jpeg.9c5e969a3b1d48f438ee3543b7bd56d2.jpeg

Let’s not forget that this is a professional game that still, in the year 2018, doesn’t officially have a gay player in its ranks. If that’s not indicative of a culture where there might just be a little bit of an issue viz discrimination then I don’t know what is.

Of course, homophobia & racism aren’t to be conflated, but the parallels are there and to simply dismiss a black ex-player who has lived and breathed that culture for decades and say ‘this isn’t racism’ or ‘x black player is at it again’ or ‘it’s such an easy position to fall back to’ might be ignoring the fact that it’s raised again & again because it’s still an issue, in 2018, just as it’s still an issue that no gay player feels comfortable in being open and transparent about who they are.

Seems to be unjustified flak towards him...don't see it as likely to be racism though.

As for Sterling and forwards it's all very well to look at goals...and that's that. However movement, pace and skill all help to create space for others and is useful for a team IMO.

The second point, I don't have stats to hand- he has had a long goal drought for England...how does he stand on assists however? In 2018, goals for strikers are not the full.picture- for some forwards, not even the main picture.

Wright has a colossal chip on his shoulder and the Beeb are only too happy to push this type of agenda.

When John Barnes used to turn in invariably under-par England performances after dazzling with Liverpool I recall the same insinuations that the critcism was all down to the colour of his skin. That’s not to trivialize the very obvious and unacceptable racism he did receive, of course.

That said, RS does seem to get an iordinate amount of negative press - the manufactured outrage over his tattoo was pathetic. As frustrated as I was with his England performances in the summer I’d hate for him to do a Mesut Ozil because he will come good at the highest level eventually.

But I kinda ignore Ian Wright’s opinions automatically - everything is about race with him, and always was during his playing career as well even when he was clearly the guilty party in an on-field altercation.

Archived