IGNORED

top flight football followers are not needed any more?

Never to the dark side

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

There was a really good article ( dunno where but about the time McInnes was around) which was all about the change in TV money and the likely gulf that would follow. I remember SL talking about it and saying that if we didn't get to the Prem in a relatively few number of years then it would become virtually impossible for all but a handful of Championship clubs to compete for a place.

It seems that has come true and we're not one of them. Two seasons ago the total take for being in the Championship( TV rights) was about £2.5 million per club per season plus any live matches lucky enough to be chosen.This increases to well over £100 million per club per season in the Prem.

It really annoys me especially as the Championship is ,imo, a more competitive and exciting league. Every time I listen to any sport on 5 Live or Talk Sport they can spend all day pontificating about the most tiny (and boring) details of Prem Clubs yet the Championship gets hardly a mention and the other 2 leagues don't exist beyond a cup run.

BCFC need to maximise income due to lack of it and this is tough on supporting fans. The likes of the big 5 don't need the income yet still screw their supporters for every penny they can get because ultimately it has gone beyond mere football.

It's almost a type of blackmail in that a Man City fan (for example) can't shop around to get a better deal at Man U but he can choose Aldi over Waitrose etc.

Rarely, imho, do clubs deserve the fanatical support they receive and rarely, if ever, reward them for it.

Does this not sum up how badly our country is run in having no fair distribution of the total wealth. ?

51 minutes ago, Gratbot said:

Careful what you wish for. The Premier League imploding would spell bad news for the entire pyramid.

In our accounts to May 2017 our turnover was £14.3m, £4.3m of which was a solidarity payment from the Premier League.

Ergo if the Premier League implodes, we lose 30% of our income, and our loss for the year of £3.3m increases to £7.6m.

If the Premier League imploded

The knock on and lack of money swirling around would filter down and actually be a positive thing IMHO

Clubs would stop paying ridiculous wages at all levels 

3 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

I'm praying for the day when the shitty Premiership implodes.

Sod's Law it will happen in the summer after our promotion! 

Looking at the Prem league for the last few seasons, it is clear that there is a gulf between the top 6 to 8 teams and then the also rans. I hope one day that they create a Euro League and the top 6 mega rich can bugger off, and they can have the TV money too. I would be more than happy just watching competitive domestic football.

2 hours ago, Im_over_ere said:

Looking at the Prem league for the last few seasons, it is clear that there is a gulf between the top 6 to 8 teams and then the also rans. I hope one day that they create a Euro League and the top 6 mega rich can bugger off, and they can have the TV money too. I would be more than happy just watching competitive domestic football.

You won't have long to wait. The only sporting "franchise" that makes more than the Premier League is the NFL, and its alot more. The reason, no relegation, so less of a gamble for the super rich.

Thats what they (the super rich) want to create in Europe witn "soccer", that way it becomes an exclusive club, invitation only, and guess what Bristol City are not on the guest list. 

With Man Utd playing Barcelona one week and Bayern the next with no Bournemouth or Cardiff in between they can sell the TV rights for a heck of alot more , worldwide, and those chosen few get to keep all the dosh.

Less than five years,, they are talking about it now

Archived