IGNORED

Bristol City v Plymouth Argyle in the Carabao Cup Match Day Thread

MC RISK77

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s fair enough, but why would a fan write us off against a league one club when the game had only just started?! Yep you were right, but you wrote the team off at the start of the game....and it’s only the third game of the season....no need to be smug...

You've never predicted we will lose?  We had Pisano at centre back and Plymouth had pretty much their first team out....or so I was led to believe. 

You seem to like talking to me on here.  Fancy a pint so we can talk in real life?

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yet many on here claim that the whole point of this years tranfer window was that we would bring strength in depth to the squad. If our back ups can’t perform against Plymouth then that has to be slightly concerning surely. 

Why?

Its a one off game.

Should Man Utd fans be concerned because what was a strong side from them lost to us last season?

They have much more depth than we do.

This was a game where we werent at our best, and the better side still lost.

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Thought we played well especially last 20 when we really ramped it up and the run of the ball just wouldn’t fall for us. On another night could have been 4 or 5 but it happens like that sometimes

Last 20 minutes we were dominant.

Until then we were too slow when working our attacks and (first half mainly) very sloppy on the ball.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hands Up, that was me.

Matt Macey left Rovers for Arsenal as a youngster and, I believe, played (or was certainly on the bench) in one of their recent European Championship matches - he is a very promising goalkeeper and is currently on loan to Plymouth.

I am not sure why @RedDave is subject to any criticism for his comments (about MM).

Dont worry, he likes to pick on me.  I find it flattering. 

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:
23 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Why the twatish smiley faces...go on then tell me a game In nearly two years where he has taken the game by the scruff of the neck and bend the stand out player?

He was excellent last season until he got injured and the season before he’d just come into the championship.

just admit you’ve had a mare . The twattish emojis as you put it are because I’m laughing at your minuscule knowledge 

Pathetic..in your opinion he was I didn’t see that he was excellent as I said the Cardiff game he was but again I ask you in over 2 years with us which games was he an excellent stand out player?

19 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well said and  that's class- fool and dumbo I am then.

At least I have stuck up for you in the past :

Posters on here said you didn't know  eff all about football and I assured them you did.

Really?! Well i dont follow most of my posts and if you have defended me then thank you very much!

i do indeed know plenty about football!

1 minute ago, westonred said:

Yes the cheap option once again

I would have taken a punt on the few flashes I’ve seen (I assume our analysis him was a bit longer and in depth)

Goalscorers will always fetch high prices and a vfm punt for me on what I’ve seen to date

When we signed him we needed to make the decision ‘was he ready’

I assume Bearing in mind the jumps he’s made so quickly , at best the judgement we would have thought at best ‘Unlikely’

In that case Eisa should have been seen as a bonus , a wildcard , not someone we may need to rely on

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Yet many on here claim that the whole point of this years tranfer window was that we would bring strength in depth to the squad. If our back ups can’t perform against Plymouth then that has to be slightly concerning surely. 

Tonight was a chance for others to shine and force their way into the first 11. Having not been there, I can't comment on individual performances, but the stats don't look good. All those shots/corners, and no goals.

Was it quite as bad as the comments suggest?

A loss in the cup to Plymouth isn't that disappointing, but if nobody showed they were up for it, then that's a big problem.

And I’ve just explained . The first season he wasn’t up to speed but he was influential from the start of last season until he got injured at hull. 

You say , take a game by the scruff of the neck. How many players in any team do that at this level ? He’s still a developing player. 

As I said he’s just coming back from injury , try engaging brain before making yourself look stupid . 

@MC RISK77

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Why?

Its a one off game.

Should Man Utd fans be concerned because what was a strong side from them lost to us last season?

They have much more depth than we do.

Last 20 minutes we were dominant.

Until then we were too slow when working our attacks and (first half mainly) very sloppy on the ball.

Why? I’d have thought that is pretty obvious.  Because we’ve just lost at home to Plymouth who are 16th in league 1.  A team we thrashed in the same fixture last year. Yet we lost with our fabled strong back ups.  Ergo that doesn’t show progress, it shows the opposite.  That’s why.  But hey, it’s just a ‘one off’ so no matter. Here’s hoping it’s better Saturday.  

• Admin
3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Why?

Its a one off game.

No denying it’s a one off game, but it should have been an opportunity to get a win under our belts, I, as others are, remain concerned about the 4 wins in 27 and I must admit that I am not too confident that ratio won’t increase in the wrong way in the next couple of games.  

5 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Why keep someone who didn’t want to be here? With regard to replacement we have until 31st August.

... and we knew at least a month before he left that he was going.

No worries though. Out the cup and two points out of six. Don’t want to rush anyone or have a sense of urgency. No doubt MA/ the scouts are investing all their efforts to sort out the keeper situation and that’s taken about four months and counting. 

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Why? I’d have thought that is pretty obvious.  Because we’ve just lost at home to Plymouth who are 16th in league 1.  A team we thrashed in the same fixture last year. Yet we lost with our fabled strong back ups.  Ergo that doesn’t show progress, it shows the opposite.  That’s why.  But hey, it’s just a ‘one off’ so no matter. Here’s hoping it’s better Saturday.  

Last season Plymouth made 9 changes.

This year it was a near enough full strength side.

2 things that arent the same.

Equally, Plymouth fans said last years game was one of their worst performamces all season.

Today they played better and we played worse.

We we still clearly the better side and battered them for the last quarter of the game, in our worst spell of the game it was an even contest.

They grabbed a goal from a set piece while we werent clinical.

You are overdramaticising this result.

14 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

How the **** is he still our manager?

Because overall he is in credit and his team has finished higher each season he has been here, despite a relatively modest budget compared to many rival teams. And his record at this club - all in the second tier - is up there with any manager in our history over that last 30 years.

I’m not pretending the form since Christmas has been anything other than hugely disappointing, but that’s at least partly due to the excellent period that preceded it, which Johnson was also responsible for. Neither am I saying I would have lost much sleep had he left in the summer.

But if you actually want an answer to the question, it’s not hard to find reasons why he remains in charge.

47 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If only we had given Bolasie a bit more time...an example of needing to give time

I agree with you....my unpopular pre-match pub opinion at the time was that I thought Bolasie had potentially more to offer than Albert in terms of end product and goals....was shouted down, guess we’ll never know, but he got to a higher level than Albert (unless you count Albert’s 2 premier league games) although I still love AA - what a genuine, lovely guy...

1 minute ago, Richwilkins50 said:

Although last seasons cup run was amazing, to be honest I’m glad we haven’t got the distraction and energy sapping cup games this time around. 

I would have hoped to get a result against a lower league team at home .

That is just a big let down and does nothing for the morale of players, staff and fans .

Going out to a Prem team would have been better as it could be justified.

So I can't agree with you . 

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

And I’ve just explained . The first season he wasn’t up to speed but he was influential from the start of last season until he got injured at hull. 

You say , take a game by the scruff of the neck. How many players in any team do that at this level ? He’s still a developing player. 

As I said he’s just coming back from injury , try engaging brain before making yourself look stupid . 

@MC RISK77

Thanks for explaining yourself..and see you have managed to highlight many of his great games..ok bow down to you’re superior knowledge and the 67 games including sub apps he has played for city have yielded an amazing 2 goals. Yep believe it or not 67 games in two years he has done very little that is more than enough game time to contribute a lot more than he has

happy to have a get for charity that his record will not improve this year.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Last season Plymouth made 9 changes.

This year it was a near enough full strength side.

2 things that arent the same.

Equally, Plymouth fans said last years game was one of their worst performamces all season.

Today they played better and we played worse.

We we still clearly the better side and battered them for the last quarter of the game, in our worst spell of the game it was an even contest.

They grabbed a goal from a set piece while we werent clinical.

You are overdramaticising this result.

Not worried about the Carabao , much more the wider issues

But there’s been excuse after excuse for poor result after poor result since Christmas

It has to stop at some point and need to start delivering 

I wouldn’t bank on too much Saturday

Archived