IGNORED

Bristol City v Plymouth Argyle in the Carabao Cup Match Day Thread

MC RISK77

22 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You've never predicted we will lose?  We had Pisano at centre back and Plymouth had pretty much their first team out....or so I was led to believe. 

You seem to like talking to me on here.  Fancy a pint so we can talk in real life?

I don’t think I’ve predicted that we would lose to a lower division club before the game starts, that is very negative...

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Last season Plymouth made 9 changes.

This year it was a near enough full strength side.

2 things that arent the same.

Equally, Plymouth fans said last years game was one of their worst performamces all season.

Today they played better and we played worse.

We we still clearly the better side and battered them for the last quarter of the game, in our worst spell of the game it was an even contest.

They grabbed a goal from a set piece while we werent clinical.

You are overdramaticising this result.

I’m overdramatising nothing at all so no need for the condescension. We should beat a team 16th in league 1 when we are a championship team at home - regardless of the team we put out. But especially so when we are told about the strength in depth that we have bought in and especially given the money spent to bring that supposed strength in depth in.   I’d imagine the Eisa fee alone will buy the whole of Plymouth’s first team. Never mind, we can concentrate on the league now. No excuses. 

Matty Taylor's work rate tonight was shocking!! 

Compare him to Wieman who had 15 mins and worked his socks off and looked dangerous.

Bobby Reid last year, most impressive think alongside his goals was his improved work rate. It earned him a premier league move.

So disappointed at Taylor tonight and Walsh.

50 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Those that are there, how do Kelly and Webster look together?

Kelly went to left back when Webster came on. Plymouth didn't really offer an attacking threat in the second half anyway so we wouldn't have learnt anything about a centre back partnership.

18 minutes ago, Richwilkins50 said:

Although last seasons cup run was amazing, to be honest I’m glad we haven’t got the distraction and energy sapping cup games this time around. 

Distraction from what? The trophy that is 18th place in the league? Can't wait .... 

This club will never win a major trophy, ever. 

Bin short corners.

Fine the players if they play them. 

I hate them. 

Thought Walsh looked good which is opposite to what a few people are saying so that’s weird. Thought he was the only one looking to get on the ball & had a decent range of passing.

Goodnight. 

32 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Dont worry, he likes to pick on me.  I find it flattering. 

Pick on you? Behave....disagreeing with your flawed opinions isn’t ‘picking on you’ - or are you just that sensitive?! I remember a heated chat we had a few years ago when you claimed Olivier Giroud was shite - he played in the World Cup Final this year, shite players don’t do that....pick on you? Laughable, this ain’t a school playground....

8 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Thanks for explaining yourself..and see you have managed to highlight many of his great games..ok bow down to you’re superior knowledge and the 67 games including sub apps he has played for city have yielded an amazing 2 goals. Yep believe it or not 67 games in two years he has done very little that is more than enough game time to contribute a lot more than he has

happy to have a get for charity that his record will not improve this year.

You’re like a stuck  record mate. Forget his first season like brownhill . Both new to the league . Last season he had improved into a talented player that was influencing games on a regular basis. 

Answer my question. How many players that in your words take games by the scruff of the neck in the championship. Also why do you concentrate on how many goals he scored , he’s not a striker , not all players are judged on goals . How many attacks does he start , how many dribbles . How often is he pushing his full back towards goal. How many runs off the ball taking his marker away does he make. There’s loads more to it than goals. You make it sound so simplistic when it’s anything but. 

I don’t want to be rude but you’re boring me now with this . But for the last time, the main reason he’s not up to speed at the moment is because he’s not match fit. 

If he’s not doing it in ten-fifteen games time then that’s a different matter 

5 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Bin short corners.

I hate them. 

Thought Walsh looked good which is opposite to what a few people are saying so that’s weird. Thought he was the only one looking to get on the ball & had a decent range of passing.

Goodnight. 

Thought Walsh was very good 2nd half so with you there. We have now conceded set plays in last two games and with Boro coming you know that's where we will struggle. No panic but what tonight demonstrated is that  whilst we have squad numbers some of the depth we have lacks quality & we are a GK/CB/CF light IMO.  Thought Eisa raw whilst Taylor and Watkins were poor. 

4 wins out of last 27 is a shocking run and a loan window to ease some of our problems.  Djuric looking a weird one now as so many crosses today

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pick on you? Behave....disagreeing with your flawed opinions isn’t ‘picking on you’ - or are you just that sensitive?! I remember a heated chat we had a few years ago when you claimed Olivier Giroud was shite - he played in the World Cup Final this year, shite players don’t do that....pick on you? Laughable, this ain’t a school playground....

You replaced me :sad26:

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

said he wasnt world class I think. which he isnt. 

15 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Bin short corners.

I hate them. 

Goodnight. 

Know what you mean, and normally I'd agree. But we had no height tonight, and they had plenty, including the keeper who, as has been alluded to elsewhere, was catching everything. So, on this occasion, I felt it was right to try something different. They were mostly crap though. 

Kelly looked quality when he switched to LB.

Eisa and Taylor may just as well have stayed in the dressing room.

Wasn't too impressed with the Chelsea loanee.  Kelly is by far a better LB.

Weimann livened things up when he came on, why didn't he come on 30 mins earlier?

Can't make up my mind whether I prefer Pisano or Hunt at RB. Hunt seems better going forward but Pisano is a better defender.

What on earth was Johnson thinking playing two full backs as centre backs?

Still can't for the life of me see why Korey's goal was disallowed.

Why did we leave it until the 75th minute before we started to try to get a goal back?

6 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Thought Walsh was very good 2nd half so with you there. We have now conceded set plays in last two games and with Boro coming you know that's where we will struggle. No panic but what tonight demonstrated is that  whilst we have squad numbers some of the depth we have lacks quality & we are a GK/CB/CF light IMO.  Thought Eisa raw whilst Taylor and Watkins were poor. 

4 wins out of last 27 is a shocking run and a loan window to ease some of our problems.  Djuric looking a weird one now as so many crosses today

He wanted to go back to Italy. Not a lot we can do about that. 

Does need replacing though. 

I went down tonight for the main reason to see how strong our squad players are, err well I'm not exactly filled with confidence.

Dasilva is tiny. The defence was a strange set up tonight, so I won't be too hard on them, but Lloyd had a lot of the ball in the 2nd half especially after going to LB.

Taylor and Eisa posed very little threat up front, but we were very slow in the build up which would not have helped them at all. No threat at all at corners and we had a few of them tonight

Watkins started well but faded badly in the 2nd half, surprised he wasn't subbed.

All in all, a worrying performance against lower league opponents

Overall we should have won that game easily - had enough chances and pressure to do so despite a poor first half.

Pisano is not a CB so LJ has to take a lot of the blame for that one.

Taylor looked exactly what I think of him - an average L1 player.

Eisa I think could be a useful player but still a bit raw.

Not the time to panic yet but we seem to be shipping a lot of easy goals already.

24 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Matty Taylor's work rate tonight was shocking!! 

Compare him to Wieman who had 15 mins and worked his socks off and looked dangerous.

Bobby Reid last year, most impressive think alongside his goals was his improved work rate. It earned him a premier league move.

So disappointed at Taylor tonight and Walsh.

I think Taylor knows his time is up. There is no way he will not be shipped out on loan soon. No way.

54 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Because overall he is in credit and his team has finished higher each season he has been here, despite a relatively modest budget compared to many rival teams. And his record at this club - all in the second tier - is up there with any manager in our history over that last 30 years.

I’m not pretending the form since Christmas has been anything other than hugely disappointing, but that’s at least partly due to the excellent period that preceded it, which Johnson was also responsible for. Neither am I saying I would have lost much sleep had he left in the summer.

But if you actually want an answer to the question, it’s not hard to find reasons why he remains in charge.

I was refering to his record over the last 27 games, you could also add the losing streaks before to that?

To say his performance stands along side what his Dad achieved here and even SC is below the belt, I’m not having that!

11 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

I was refering to his record over the last 27 games, you could also add the losing streaks before to that?

To say his performance stands along side what his Dad achieved here and even SC is below the belt, I’m not having that!

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/bristol-city/

His win % is superior to his Dad’s and without the benefit of any games in the easier third tier. And it’s only marginally inferior to Cotterill, who managed the majority of his matches in League One. His tenure might not have included the promotion highs of the other two, but he started out in a higher division and his overall record stands up to comparison.

Interesting that you are keen to add the previous losing streaks to his current poor run, but not the winning ones.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/bristol-city/

His win % is superior to his Dad’s and without the benefit of any games in the easier third tier. And it’s only marginally inferior to Cotterill, who managed the majority of his matches in League One. His tenure might not have included the promotions highs of the other two, but he started out in a higher division and his overall record stands up to comparison.

Interesting that you are keen to add the previous losing streaks to his current poor run, but not the winning ones.

LJ performed for half a season and many of those wins were not convincing let’s not gloss over the truth, we got very lucky early on and could quite easily of lost a fair few more of those early games, let’s just say we had the rub of the green we muddled through and some momentum was built, what happened after that is the most worrying surely?

Stats stand for nothing you know that, GJ got us promoted to the champ and almost immediately up to the Prem, SC won a double.. these are the only stats that matter to me and I have absolutely no confidence that LJ can make that grade.. 

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Tonight was a chance for others to shine and force their way into the first 11. Having not been there, I can't comment on individual performances, but the stats don't look good. All those shots/corners, and no goals.

Was it quite as bad as the comments suggest?

A loss in the cup to Plymouth isn't that disappointing, but if nobody showed they were up for it, then that's a big problem.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the doom merchants on this forum. I went and thought it was a decent performance considering only Hunt and Odowda had started in both league games. Walsh and Watkins looked good and Eisa when in the box comes alive and could have grabbed a goal or two.

We dominated large chunks of the game and last 20min was one way traffic. Players who looked out of sorts were Odowda and even worse Taylor who was very poor

On another day we could have won comfortably but that's football!

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I think from what I've seen, my first choice team looks like:

Maenpaa

Hunt Webster Baker Kelly

Brownhill Smith Pack O'Dowda

Deidhiou Weimann

Swap O'Dowda for Eliasson and you have it.  O'Dowda was rubbish tonight.  He hasn't actually been that good for us.  A purple patch last season but other than that, League 1 standard...

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Swap O'Dowda for Eliasson and you have it.  O'Dowda was rubbish tonight.  He hasn't actually been that good for us.  A purple patch last season but other than that, League 1 standard...

You may be right. Je certainly hasn't looked quite the player he was before his injury, but it will take a while to get his confidence back.  These injuries play with your mind - you fear having the same thing happen again, but give it a few games and I'm sure he can get back to his best.

He was tracking back well before and needs to get this back into his game.

it may be better to use him as an impact sub whilst his confidence and fitness is rebuilding.

Archived