IGNORED

We just had 14 corners and 27 shots...

EmersonsRed

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Abdolutely tiny. Smaller than Liam Walsh. Hard to say because he didn’t have much to do. Looks comfortable on the ball. A couple nice crosses and a terrible one. Some good skill think won us a corner. Can’t tell about how he will fair in champ football based on that. Though I’d say don’t let the size fool you. Looks like he will battle and won quite a few in the air. 

I’d take it (Accepting initial impressions) that you’d anticipate the Kelly being first choice LB atm ?

Edit

I see your comment @Neo - Desilva or Kelly Saturday ?

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d take it (Accepting initial impressions) that you’d anticipate the Kelly being first choice LB atm ?

Edit

For Saturday probably Kelly with his height against a Pulis side for me. Will need all the help we can get. I’d even consider Pisano at RB but know that won’t go down well here. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Edit

Da Silva at left back. If Kelly plays at all it should be centre back as if we have any chance we need full backs pushing on and capable of overlapping and delivering - Kelly far too predictably tries to beat his man on the outside and against quality he will not get any success as it is the same play every time.

I’m frustrated after tonight but he is not a modern full back - better to groom as centre half IMO !!

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Da Silva at left back. If Kelly plays at all it should be centre back as if we have any chance we need full backs pushing on and capable of overlapping and delivering - Kelly far too predictably tries to beat his man on the outside and against quality he will not get any success as it is the same play every time.

I’m frustrated after tonight but he is not a modern full back - better to groom as centre half IMO !!

Thanks

On what I’ve seen he’d get murderd at ch Saturday

I hoped Desilva would look better / more Championship ready 

43 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Let’s hope this gives the club the kick up the ass it needs to get a couple of players in 

Unfortunately it didn't really help in January though did it. 

A lot of of people have been saying for months:

Replace the imminent departures of Flint and Bryan - Check.

New Goalkeeper, dominating Centre Mid, and Striker - Not really....

NM - Jury still out, but has been a reserve keeper for a while

Eisa - Promising, but will possibly need time to adjust.

It's not hard to see where players are needed. Getting the right ones in, yeah ok that's probably not as easy, but I'd say the three positions above are an absolute must. Goalkeeper we may be able to get by without for a while, providing the other 2 are addressed soon, but they would need to be players who are ready to come in and start straight away.

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree but I get why they didn’t start. My only concern going forward is if Diedhiou misses more time. Same problems tonight that we had against Forest and Bolton. Reckon Diedhiou will remedy a lot of that but asking a lot of him to stay 100% fit for 41 league games.

We still have time to bring someone in though. Think we need a presence up front. Not necessarily a big target man but someone who can hold the ball up and help our midfield get up the pitch. There were 30-40 yard gaps between our strikers and midfield at times after defending. All for keeping goals out but Taylor and Eisa both struggled to hold it long enough for help to arrive. 

Will respond when I get home, phone about to die.

Dont wholly disagree.

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

More potential than Bryan, but there was no chance we’d have brought in someone better than joe 

I agree very unlikely to improve in that position. People were pissed I suggested DaSilva wouldn’t be as good as Bryan would be for us this season. 

Still time for him tho 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree but I get why they didn’t start. My only concern going forward is if Diedhiou misses more time. Same problems tonight that we had against Forest and Bolton. Reckon Diedhiou will remedy a lot of that but asking a lot of him to stay 100% fit for 41 league games.

We still have time to bring someone in though. Think we need a presence up front. Not necessarily a big target man but someone who can hold the ball up and help our midfield get up the pitch. There were 30-40 yard gaps between our strikers and midfield at times after defending. All for keeping goals out but Taylor and Eisa both struggled to hold it long enough for help to arrive. 

Is it that much of an ask?

He hasn't had a history of injuries particularly, and the one he got against Palace was an odd one in that he managed to hurt 3 separate parts of his leg at once, which is why he was out for so long.

Someone else to fill that role as cover wouldn't go amiss though.

24 minutes ago, foghornred said:

I think that we will struggle to score goals this season even when Diedhiou comes back as there is no goal poacher in the squad we had Tammy then Reid but this year no one !:tumbleweed:

Weimann? What I saw of him today was that he did many of the things Reid was doing last season

Not that baffling. 

When we had big men, we didn't play with any width. 

Now we have wingers we play two short-arses up front and then wonder why Plymouth's 6ft 6 Arsenal loanee keeper can pick all the crosses out of the air!

We desperately need some height out there!  I couldn't believe how small Dasilva was for a defender. Liam Walsh towers over him! 

Fammy's return might sort some of the problems out, but in the meanwhile we HAVE to start playimg the ball on the ground. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not that baffling. 

Now we have wingers we play two shor-arses up front and then wonder why Plymouth's 6ft 6 Arsenal loanee keeper can pick all the crosses out of the air!

We desperately need some height out there!  I couldn't believe how small Dasilva was for a defender. Liam Walsh towers over him! 

Fammy's return might sort some of the problems out, but in the meanwhile we HAVE to start playimg the ball on the ground. 

Absolutely spot on and when Fammy does come back i'm sure we will play as if we have a couple short nippy strikers, that seems to be the LJ way.

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d say so and I am fine with that. He was actually more physical than Pisano which surprised me a bit. Just needs to naturally fill out more. He has the aggression so by the time he is 22-23 he should be ready to start his career there. 

Until then he has good pace, agility, crossing and decision making for LB. Would be a waste not to use him there often just because he wants to be a CB

@swanker - why the bin emoji on Joe’s post?  Why not contribute more than an emoji or the occasional one liner?

LK is a left sided CB, but at younger group levels.  Coming into that position in senior football is difficult unless you are physically built / able to handle the rough and tumble.  LK is slight, has not filled out yet, so has been given a chance at LB, gained England u20 caps there are in the main given positive performances there for us (he hasn't set the world on fire there, but he’s done well enough...some have gone overboard about him imho).

Vyner was similar, debut at RB...3 seasons ago, but still not ready for City at CB....so I think Joe is right.

Derrick Williams wasn’t such an athlete as Kely, but was stronger physically when he broke into the team, but when promoted he struggled a bit strength wise too.  Ended up playing LB / LWB for a bit, before going to Blackburn.

Aden Flint, yes, Aden Flint got knocked about abit at CB (in Lg1 too!!) before physically getting up to the demands of playing CB in 14/15.  Unfortunately he wasn’t good enough on the ball to play FB!!

Harry Maguire at Sheffield Utd looked a “unit” at 19 years of age in 13/14 season So was able to cope at CB.

5 hours ago, foghornred said:

I think that we will struggle to score goals this season even when Diedhiou comes back as there is no goal poacher in the squad we had Tammy then Reid but this year no one

Well some people will tell you that Diedhiou can be that goal poacher - and it's true his scoring record is decent. However a week ago when we lost Djuric some people told us that it's okay we have Diedhiou, so apparently he needs to be the target man too!

Famara is a decent player but we seem to be projecting every gap in our attacking options onto him. Give it a week and if results don't pick up, the season will probably depend on him as well! He is not going to come into the team and suddenly cover 4 roles.

Fammy is a good all rounder on strength and mobility rather than an out-and-out target man or poacher. He'll get his head on the end of crosses in the box but aim a few long balls at him and its not his natural game, takes him a while to get them under control.

Similarly, he has an eye for goal with the ball at his feet facing down a defender, or if there is a ball to be won in a crowded box, but he runs the channels, I'm not sure you'd say he has the grace and speed to drift inside the final man into goal poaching positions.

As @JamesBCFC said, I do think Weimann is doing an excellent job of making the sort of runs Reid was, but I highly doubt he has the pace and elusiveness to also get into the same number of goal poaching positions. We have replaced half of Reid's game.

Hopefully Famara and Weimann each have enough about them to provide a combined mix of attributes that produce the sort of threat we had last season. But pegging Fammy as the solution to goal scoring, to pace, to height, and to Plan B, is asking a lot!

@Olé I think you are saying that Diedhiou has a decent all around game, whilst not necessarily excelling in any one area. 

For that reason he is important to our frontline because you can pair him with anyone. 

Weimann is a good player.  I think the initial doubts from some posters has dissipated already and most are beginning to see the bits of quality that made him a Prem player, and that’s been coupled with good work rate. 

On paper and from what we know about both individually they look like they ought to be a good combo. 

Imho Weimann ought to be better than Reid, his pedigree says so and playing centrally with the unselfish/teamplayer Diedhiou could “in theory” bring a similar amount of goals as a pairing that Diedhiou and Reid got us. 

Time will tell, but Weimann looks like he’s very comfortable centrally and makes good runs for himself and the team. 

There were of course no guarantees that Reid was gonna score 20 again this season. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@swanker - why the bin emoji on Joe’s post?  Why not contribute more than an emoji or the occasional one liner?

LK is a left sided CB, but at younger group levels.  Coming into that position in senior football is difficult unless you are physically built / able to handle the rough and tumble.  LK is slight, has not filled out yet, so has been given a chance at LB, gained England u20 caps there are in the main given positive performances there for us (he hasn't set the world on fire there, but he’s done well enough...some have gone overboard about him imho).

Vyner was similar, debut at RB...3 seasons ago, but still not ready for City at CB....so I think Joe is right.

Derrick Williams wasn’t such an athlete as Kely, but was stronger physically when he broke into the team, but when promoted he struggled a bit strength wise too.  Ended up playing LB / LWB for a bit, before going to Blackburn.

Aden Flint, yes, Aden Flint got knocked about abit at CB (in Lg1 too!!) before physically getting up to the demands of playing CB in 14/15.  Unfortunately he wasn’t good enough on the ball to play FB!!

Harry Maguire at Sheffield Utd looked a “unit” at 19 years of age in 13/14 season So was able to cope at CB.

Leon Clarke made mincemeat of Kelly last season, it was embarrassing for the lad. He only played centre half last night because Johnson wanted to give the Chelsea kid a chance. 

Talk of playing players out of position at this moment in time is a joke. Some of our players aren’t up up to championship standard in the natural position.

did you see Taylor and O’Dowda last night? I’m not very optimistic for this season!

14 minutes ago, swanker said:

Leon Clarke made mincemeat of Kelly last season, it was embarrassing for the lad. He only played centre half last night because Johnson wanted to give the Chelsea kid a chance. 

Talk of playing players out of position at this moment in time is a joke. Some of our players aren’t up up to championship standard in the natural position.

did you see Taylor and O’Dowda last night? I’m not very optimistic for this season!

Thanks for responding. 

But that’s the point - LK isn’t ready to play CB yet. He isn’t strong enough. I wasn’t at the Sheffield Utd game but it didn’t surprise me to read he was bullied. Clarke does that to bigger, uglier CBs than Kelly. 

If he develops physically then he has a lot of attributes to become a CB. 

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not that baffling. 

Now we have wingers we play two short-arses up front and then wonder why Plymouth's 6ft 6 Arsenal loanee keeper can pick all the crosses out of the air!

looks like lee is building a team like himself light weight and short

29 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not true.  He played centre half because of injuries to other players.

So Johnson brought an injured Webster on to help out at the back against a team that had two shots on target all game?

Tactical genius is a term that comes to mind when you see the impact of that decision. 

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Been saying it a few weeks. Pato too inconsistent. Taylor useless and Eisa needs time. Even Watkins and Adelakun mentioned as options but are wingers!! We are screwed if Fam misses any more time

Should add I thought their keeper was fantastic and many of those shots will have been blocked. This was a big game for them after last season. 

Watkins hardly played as a winger. Clearly playing under orders from LJ to not hug  the touchline but drift inside. 

The middle is then congested and only Hunt on the right side, gets the ball in a position to cross it. 

We appear to be incapable if creating clear chances. Just shots from places where there are so many defenders between ball and goal. 

I don't like losing any match. But in greater scheme of things, this defeat isn't too important. Of serious concern are the tactics employed irrespective of which eleven are on the pitch. 

Not a criticism but O'Dowda appears to be so lacking in confidence and pace after that very serious injury. And when Korey gets the ball, any move just stops in its tracks. A shadow of the player a couple of years ago. 

I'm fearful how poor we look whoever is in the team. 

34 minutes ago, swanker said:

So Johnson brought an injured Webster on to help out at the back against a team that had two shots on target all game?

Tactical genius is a term that comes to mind when you see the impact of that decision. 

He brought Webster on to replace Dasilva who is clearly not match fit. Thus allowing Kelly to revert to left back. Webster is not injured. 

Did you not watch the game? I'm not in the LJ fan club but don't slagging him for doing the right thing. 

Archived