IGNORED

Don't forget

frenchred

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

I guess we couldn’t hold onto them. They were ambitious and left because this club wasn’t going where they wanted 

They left because there were prem clubs who wanted two of them, no championship club could stop that. The other went to a much bigger club in Middlesbrough. 

No club can hold on to it’s biggest assets bar the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona 

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

They left because there were prem clubs who wanted two of them, no championship club could stop that. The other went to a much bigger club in Middlesbrough. 

No club can hold on to it’s biggest assets bar the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona 

No but I’m willing to bet if we stayed in the playoff or promoted last season we would’ve had a greater chance of holding onto them. We dropped off so much after half way last season

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Do you honestly think we will get anything out of the game Saturday? It isn’t an excuse if it is valid. It is a new season with a new squad. End of last season was horrid as were the winter months the season before. I am not LJs biggest fan but he has taken us further each season. The bad spells need to stop but he has done enough for me to not hold last seasons results against him this season. 

That’s a strange comment tbh Joe

So you will take enough from the positives youve seen but not count last seasons results against him ?

Surely his whole tenure here builds a continuing judgement , including all the results of last season

Unfortunately 4 wins in 27 speaks for itself

When will he (And Ashton) become answerable ?

I don't think we have a stronger squad, I think we have a weaker squad. So going out of the cup may be a blessing in disguise: less games, potentially less injuries, keep our better players rested and fit. 

Also we probably need to go under the radar a little on the cup front this season to avoid all of our best players being poached year in year out. 

1 minute ago, OddBallJim said:

I don't think we have a stronger squad, I think we have a weaker squad. So going out of the cup may be a blessing in disguise: less games, potentially less injuries, keep our better players rested and fit. 

Also we probably need to go under the radar a little on the cup front this season to avoid all of our best players being poached year in year out. 

Said this last week and got destroyed ?

24 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Do you honestly think we will get anything out of the game Saturday? It isn’t an excuse if it is valid. It is a new season with a new squad. End of last season was horrid as were the winter months the season before. I am not LJs biggest fan but he has taken us further each season. The bad spells need to stop but he has done enough for me to not hold last seasons results against him this season. 

I said before the season that the ‘new squad’ excuse would be trotted out, so congratulations for being that person.

So everytime we produce a few good players and sell them for good money, ‘the new squad’ excuse will be trotted out.

For me Flint, Reid and Bryan had their enthusiasm totally crushed by a gutless January window, when we were riding high and that will prove to be a huge mistake.

I also said at the beginning of the season that LJ will continue with his record of long winless streaks and nothing I have seen has changed my view.

Also who is going to carry the can over the revelations this week of the losses incurred from the sales of Engvall and Djuric?

PS . Boro have a new squad as well.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I said before the season that the ‘new squad’ excuse would be trotted out, so congratulations for being that person.

So everytime we produce a few good players and sell them for good money, ‘the new squad’ excuse will be trotted out.

For me Flint, Reid and Bryan had their enthusiasm totally crushed by a gutless January window, when we were riding high and that will prove to be a huge mistake.

I also said at the beginning of the season that LJ will continue with his record of long winless streaks and nothing I have seen has changed my view.

Also who is going to carry the can over the revelations this week of the losses incurred from the sales of Engvall and Djuric?

1.8 million in losses on two players is not a huge amount for a championship club to be honest

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

1.8 million in losses on two players is not a huge amount for a championship club to be honest

I think you will find it’s more than 1.8 million , before you even consider wages , medical bills etc etc

Secondly that’s the crap attitude of somebody playing a computer game

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think you will find it’s more than 1.8 million , before you even consider wages , medical bills etc etc

Secondly that’s the crap attitude of somebody playing a computer game

When considering wages etc it’s more than 1.8, but on transfer fees alone it is that, maybe slightly less. 

And also that’s the reality of transfers, two players who cost in the region of 1.5 million each didn’t work out, and we got around 1.2 million back from them, in the championship that’s hardly a massive loss compared to a lot of clubs 

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

When considering wages etc it’s more than 1.8, but on transfer fees alone it is that, maybe slightly less. 

And also that’s the reality of transfers, two players who cost in the region of 1.5 million each didn’t work out, and we got around 1.2 million back from them, in the championship that’s hardly a massive loss compared to a lot of clubs 

Your figures still out at both ends

And your attitude towards the waste of money incredible 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Your figures still out at both ends

And your attitude towards the waste of money incredible 

Engvall was 1.4 million, Duric 1.5, we received 900k for duric and 250k for engvall. 

My attitude towards waste of money is realistic considering the environment football finds itself in nowadays where 1.5 million pound signings are being made by league one clubs...

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Engvall was 1.4 million, Duric 1.5, we received 900k for duric and 250k for engvall. 

My attitude towards waste of money is realistic considering the environment football finds itself in nowadays where 1.5 million pound signings are being made by league one clubs...

Not sure how many times I’ve pointed this out

At / around the time , and separately , both to Twentyman , LJ and SL both confirmed Engvall was ‘over 2 million’

Your shrug your shoulders attitude to probably blowing in total 3-4 million on them is incredible

They are not the only players to have cost us whilst contributing all but nothing 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure how many times I’ve pointed this out

At / around the time , and separately , both to Twentyman , LJ and SL both confirmed Engvall was ‘over 2 million’

Your shrug your shoulders attitude to probably blowing in total 3-4 million on them is incredible

It was widely known that he cost 1.4 million, with add ons totalling to over 2 million, where you've plucked 3-4 million from is probably the most incredible thing... 

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

WE JUST HAD TWENTY SEVEN SHOTS AND COULDN'T PUT IT IN THE BACK OF THE NET. ALL THREE OF OUR STRIKERS AVAILABLE FOR THE WEEKEND HAD TIME ON THE PITCH.

I HOPE THE CAPITALS HELP YOU UNDERSTAND BASIC FACTS. WE ARE ****** IN THE FINAL THIRD.

HTH

If you were there tonight you would have seen that 23 of those so called shots were just on target passes that were defensive blocks around the box. Stats are very deceptive. A weakened City side were simply unable to break down a really well organised stubborn Plymouth outfit. We will be much stronger Saturday and LJ would have learned a bit more about his fringe players. No damage done.

Just now, JBFC II said:

It was widely known that he cost 1.4 million, with add ons totalling to over 2 million, where you've plucked 3-4 million from is probably the most incredible thing... 

Widely known ?

Have you read my post

Maybe both SL and LJ we’re lying , deceiving us as part of a cunning plan

3-4 million 

I’d suggest we’ve lost over 2 million in fees

Wages ?

(even only £10k a week for each-is a million a season )

Add some nice signing on fees , agent fees , Duric medical bills for private surgery

3-4 million ? I think I’m npbeing generous

You work it out

As you go thro life I hope you don’t form the same attitude about your own money

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Widely known ?

Have you read my post

Maybe both SL and LJ we’re lying , deceiving us as part of a cunning plan

3-4 million 

I’d suggest we’ve lost over 2 million in fees

Wages ?

(even only £10k a week for each-is a million a season )

Add some nice signing on fees , agent fees , Duric medical bills for private surgery

3-4 million ? I think I’m npbeing generous

You work it out

As you go thro life I hope you don’t form the same attitude about your own money

I doubt I will, considering I probably won't be owning a football club in a league where clubs are now regularly spending over 10 million... 

I'm just going off what transfermarkt and other posters on here have put as being the price of engvall, I don't remember any interview with LJ and Sl where they stated his fee, and I see no reason why they would when it was originally put down as undisclosed. 

And there's no way engvall would be on 10k a week, when considering our highest earning player around that time in tomlin was on just over 20k...

As I said, 3-4 million is a snippet for championship clubs now a days, even Aden Flint went for double that... 

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

I will have some of what you're smoking. 9 of the players that played for us tonight (3 off the bench) played on Saturday. We had 27 shots and didn't score. We are in trouble.

Gert it right please. Just 3 of the 11 that started Saturdays game started tonight and the 8 changes played most of the 90 minutes. A vastly different side.

I find it a very sad indictment on our club when some people actually subscribe that not expecting to get results out of certain games is a valid point, wow.

So alongside Boro, presumably Leeds, Villa, Swansea, Forest, West Brom, Derby, Hull, Stoke, Norwich all fall into the category of "did you expect anything out that game", let me add Brentford, Preston and Sheffield United teams who are probably better than us to that list and given the fact that we struggle more against lesser teams, it's shaping up to be one hell of a season.

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Our reserves have just lost a rather pointless cup game, wow....

I don't see it as that. (Apart from the fact Hunt; O'Dowda; Webster and Wiemann were all involved tonight).

We had a pisspoor record at being knocked out of cup competitions by lower league opposition in recent years and had recently turned a corner in that cringeworthily embarrassing run.

Now we are back in it. And it does affect morale.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't see it as that. (Apart from the fact Hunt; O'Dowda; Webster and Wiemann were all involved tonight).

We had a pisspoor record at being knocked out of cup competitions by lower league opposition in recent years and had recently turned a corner in that cringeworthily embarrassing run.

Now we are back in it. And it does affect morale.

It is just another excuse from LJ's excuse writers, I have already written Saturdays in advance and I will go even further for the next 2 games "we never win at QPR" and Swansea is the same as for the Middlesborough game "did you honestly expect anything out of that game?"

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I’d rather wait to see how we do with a first choice 11 against Middlesbrough...

Cup upsets happen every year, means very little in the context of the season, Fulham lost to rovers last season, wasn’t a bad season for them in the end...

One of the main reasons we finished last season so poorly was due to the cup run, we now don’t have that to focus on

Woke up on holiday to see the result...bit shocked.  Looked at the side we named, less shocked.  We’ve gone from playing 4 CBs across the back four, to 4 FBs (yes, I know Kelly is a LCB, but until he fills out he won’t be at Champ level).  Not saying that’s the reason, but less of a surprise.  Guessing Moore and Wright still aren’t fit?

Prior to the match I wanted us to win.  Could see Round 2 as an opportunity to get some minutes into Diedhioy’s legs prior to Blackburn at home.  That chance is now gone.  Guess we’ll have a ‘behind closed door’ against someone that week instead.  Not sure what I really think about these games.  LJ seems to play so many of them he might be better keeping some of our players from going on loan and playing against ourselves!!

Ok, so now I know we’ve lost, what positive(s) can I take?  Several with rose tinted specs on.

1. no fixture congestion excuses
  2. LJ knows a bit more about some of his players and where they are.  Appears Walsh showed some ability.  Appears O’Dowda has started the season poorly. Etc etc.

The main point for me is that we have reasonably sized squad, that no longer has cup football this side of Xmas.  Assuming our players are motivated to play, then they now only have League football available to them.  I hope this means they will have to work hard to keep their place, and those on the fringes are working hard to get into the team, and when they do, they know they need to play well to stay in.  I hope that means our players play with an intensity that we need them to. We aren’t good enough individually to coast games, we get results by everyone playing at full-tilt.

Middlesborough will not be season defining but it will show if we have any mettle.

No game in the Champ - one of the most competitive leagues in the world - should ever be classed ‘we knew we weren’t gonna get anything from that” from the fans.  I don’t get that.  Yes, it might be a tough game though, but I hope there’s enough in the dressing room to have the mentality that Aden Flint isn’t coming back to AG and rub our noses in it.  Our CBs at set pieces better be up for it!

Archived