IGNORED

Out of interest...

SStandUp

Where do people genuinely think we should ? In terms of league position, promotions hopes, relegation fears, midtable etc..

Take everything into consideration: current squad, wage bill, transfer philosophy, emphasis on youth development, fan base etc etc.. 

Would be interested to know.

Because I'm reading a lot of comments at the moment that suggest a fair amount expect us to be up the top challenging for promotion, like it's nothing.

But when you consider the variables mentioned above, I'm not sure how this can be justified.

2 minutes ago, swanker said:

I was hoping for some sort of improvement on last season. At the moment though I think we’re going to struggle. I just hope we don’t go on one of those winless runs again?

Hmmm we’re 6 competitive games without a win if you include the back end of last season..... surely Lee can’t have another big, bad run in him, can he? 

5 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Hmmm we’re 6 competitive games without a win if you include the back end of last season..... surely Lee can’t have another big, bad run in him, can he? 

All managers do, the difference is, he's surviv-ed/ing two of them.

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

All managers do, the difference is, he's surviv-ed/ing two of them.

You’re right.... actually it’s 3 if you include the Barnsley one. He’s had terrible runs in three successive seasons. One of my concerns at the start of this season was that last year’s poor run didn’t really end and might drag into this season.... let’s hope not. 

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

You’re right.... actually it’s 3 if you include the Barnsley one. He’s had terrible runs in three successive seasons. One of my concerns at the start of this season was that last year’s poor run didn’t really end and might drag into this season.... let’s hope not. 

That was my thoughts also. I had taken the view that maybe with the core being restructured it I could give him a clean slate. The issue is the defence is still an issue. And we know on previous evidence it was not ever fixed with the old guard. The question is can we coach the new guard to succeed.

3 minutes ago, Fuber said:

That was my thoughts also. I had taken the view that maybe with the core being restructured it I could give him a clean slate. The issue is the defence is still an issue. And we know on previous evidence it was not ever fixed with the old guard. The question is can we coach the new guard to succeed.

Baker and Webster do not convince me at all. They're both too soft. I'd be playing Bailey Wright when he's back fit. People, for what ever reason, do not rate him, despite filling in really well at RB last year during the 'good times'. He puts his bollocks on the line 

17 minutes ago, nickolas said:

With a leaky defence and zero aerial dominance, top of bottom half will be an achievement. 

4 goals conceded, all from crosses. Poor, poor defending and already a clear weakness. 

Flint will enjoy saturday i am sure!

Agreed. We could get tonked on saturday, if we continue to avoid defending crosses, against a Pulis side.

2 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

Mid table and our best players from this season will be sold or want to leave next summer. 

Yep. And unfortunately Johnson will fall victim to this, because fans will become impatient and force him out.

I love Lansdown. But he's on the radio talking about expecting progression, but is willing to sell our best players and not give the management resources to replace to the quality expected. I don't understand how we the fans or Lansdown, can expect significant progression? Without Johnson pulling something from his arse like he did for the first part of the season last year'

.. until the players ran out of steam, we didn't invest in January and we could no longer play the way Johnson wanted us to and the way that made us so competitive 

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

It will always be a season of change with the number of players Johnson signs. But not for the better this season I fear.

He's having to sign players continuously because the ones we got are getting sold/ want to leave..

whats he meant to do? 

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Agree with that, he’s also not toughened the team - a problem he identified last season. Losing Flint and dropping Smith has made us less combative and physical, maybe a reason in part why do many goals already conceded from corners. 

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Yep. And unfortunately Johnson will fall victim to this, because fans will become impatient and force him out.

I love Lansdown. But he's on the radio talking about expecting progression, but is willing to sell our best players and not give the management resources to replace to the quality expected. I don't understand how we the fans or Lansdown, can expect significant progression? Without Johnson pulling something from his arse like he did for the first part of the season last year'

.. until the players ran out of steam, we didn't invest in January and we could no longer play the way Johnson wanted us to and the way that made us so competitive 

Excellent point. I’m always bemused when lansdown mentions the premiership. Strikes me that such a clever man should know that all he does is fuel unrealistic expectations by doing so as our budgets dictate that it’s only ever going to be a long shot for us to get there.

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Understand all that and Lansdown does the manager no favours by dangling the Prem carrot in front of us fans. The only thing I’ll say is the manager is “fully bought into the project”... unless of course he gets tired of it and leaves us Flint, Reid, Bryan style.  He’ll know what happened to the last manager who thought there was an alternative way of doing things.... 

39 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

He used up all his lives. He won’t survive another 1 win in 15 type run. Absolutely no chance!!!!! 

I mean. If we're being hyper critical and pedantic,  and then carry last season's form up to present...

We're currently 1 win in 10. 

No wins against Blackburn, Sheff Utd or QPR, none of whom should rip up trees, and on that record, with new signings and core of a team?

How much time would LJ get hypothetically to let the team Gel? Forest made sweeping changes, intergrating a domestic and foreign signings seamlessly.

We aren't the lower spenders on playing staff we were the season we got up from League 1.

8 minutes ago, Fuber said:

We aren't the lower spenders on playing staff we were the season we got up from League 1.

Hmm it’s not that comparable - although transfer fees were offset by the Baldock sale that season, we could pay bigger wages than almost everyone in the league. We were also a big side at that level comparatively so makes recruitment easier.

32 minutes ago, Fuber said:

How much time would LJ get hypothetically to let the team Gel? Forest made sweeping changes, intergrating a domestic and foreign signings seamlessly.

I know you weren't saying this, but I also don't think that we've played enough games to say whether we've gelled or not.

From what we've seen so far - a respectable 1-1 against a good Forest side, a draw against a tricky Bolton side - albeit coming back from 2 goals down (which shows positives and negatives in itself), a disappointing loss against Plymouth with a rotated side.

I think really a team needs at least 10 games to be fully cohesive.. but that's not time we can afford in a league like this.

Was always going to be an immensely tricky task losing 3 key players. Big test against Boro soon. I don't pay much attention to stats like this but we do have a good record against them, and you'd think if any team was best equipped with knowledge on how to exploit Flint's weaknesses it'd be us.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hmm it’s not that comparable - although transfer fees were offset by the Baldock sale that season, we could pay bigger wages than almost everyone in the league. We were also a big side at that level comparatively so makes recruitment easier.

I believe @Fuber is referring to our first season back in this division where we were amongst the low spenders. We’ve moved on from that first season struggle

I’m pretty sure Steve Lansdown has publicly said the target this season is tenth or above. Anything below that therefore has to be seen as underachievement.

I don’t necessarily think underachievement would wholly be the Manager’s fault but he has presumably agreed to work to the target that has been set. I don’t think tenth or above is unrealistic but a lot of improvement is needed.

Archived