IGNORED

Back from the Gate - Summary & ratings

old_eastender

LJ failings in using subs effectively enough cost us tonight. Weimann coming on for the ineffective Taylor really energized our attacking play but why did LJ wait until 20 mins form the end to make that change.

Meanwhile COD who didn't have the beating of his full-back all night, was left on with Eliasson unused. Add to that the bizarre decision to take off Eisa for Brownhill with a few minutes left.

Not seen any replay, but puzzling decision to rule our Korey's goal for an offside, don't see how the offside player was possibly interfering with play.

Anyway ratings:

O'Leary - 6 - didn't have much to do and stood little chance with goal.

Hunt - 6 - Frustrating in the first half with Kelly finding him in space in their half 4 or 5 times and each time, Hunt stalled and played an easy ball rather than going for the byeline and getting a cross in. Hunt did improve on that in the second half though.

Pisano - 6 - Did OK.

Kelly - 6 - Played CB competently until Webster came on. Missed a sitter when heading wide unmarked on edge of 6 yard box. 

New Chelsea loan - 6 - Looked OK.

Smith - 6 - Saw a lot of the ball, but a few sloppy passes and at times slowed things down too much. Very unlucky to have his 'goal' ruled out for offside.

Walsh - 7 - Threaded a lot of good passes around, worked hard to try and make things happen.

Watkins - 6 - Started really well, but disappeared for periods after that.

COD - 4 - Rarely managed to successfully take on the full-back and what crosses he did get in were not finding red shirts.

Taylor - 3 - Really poor, twice had ball played to him in the box to feet in first half and both time let it bounce off him 6 or 7 feet. Offered no goal threat.

Eisa - 6  - Showed some nice touches and got into some good positions but not picked out, looks a bit raw but can also see his potential.

SUBS

Webster - 6 - Looked good defensively, passed the buck instead of shooting after good run into the box late on.

Weimann - 7 - Transformed City attacking play, should have been on much sooner.

Brownhill - on too late to rate.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Koreys goal was because Eisa was directly in front of their GK while in an offside position, so deemed interfering with play.

The linesman gave it, how could he tell that Eisa was directly in front of their keeper?

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

LJ failings in using subs effectively enough cost us tonight. Weimann coming on for the ineffective Taylor really energized our attacking play but why did LJ wait until 20 mins form the end to make that change.

Meanwhile COD who didn't have the beating of his full-back all night, was left on with Eliasson unused. Add to that the bizarre decision to take off Eisa for Brownhill with a few minutes left.

Not seen any replay, but puzzling decision to rule our Korey's goal for an offside, don't see how the offside player was possibly interfering with play.

Anyway ratings:

Hunt - 6 - Frustrating in the first half with Kelly finding him in space in their half 4 or 5 times and each time, Hunt stalled and played an easy ball rather than going for the byeline and getting a cross in. Hunt did improve on that in the second half though.

Pisano - 6 - Did OK.

Kelly - 6 - Played CB competently until Webster came on. Missed a sitter when heading wide unmarked on edge of 6 yard box. 

Smith - 6 - Saw a lot of the ball, but a few sloppy passes and at times slowed things down too much. Very unlucky to have his 'goal' ruled out for offside.

Kelly - 7 - Threaded a lot of good passes around, worked hard to try and make things happen.

COD - 4 - Rarely managed to successfully take on the full-back and what crosses he did get in were not finding red shirts.

Taylor - 3 - Really poor, twice had ball played to him in the box to feet in first half and both time let it bounce off him 6 or 7 feet. Offered no goal threat.

Eisa - 6  - Showed some nice touches and got into some good positions but not picked out, looks a bit raw but can also see his potential.

SUBS

Webster - 6 - Looked good defensively, passed the buck instead of shooting after good run into the box late on.

Are you really struggling to work it out?

Johnson didn't really give a **** about tonight. If we got through great, if we didn't no one is gunna lose sleep over it. 

Last year we had great fun, but it hurt us. There's no need for us to go chasing a cup run again. 

I thought we played some decent football and deserved to win on the whole. The lack of cutting edge concerns me. 

But that's our fault for not replacing 24 goal man Reid. That's doesn't lie at Johnsons feet though, that's a cheif executive & board decision. 

Losing tonight is not a bad thing for us. My heads already on Boro, Johnsons was even before this game. 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

The linesman gave it, how could he tell that Eisa was directly in front of their keeper?

The linesman only gave it once players started complaining, Downsey was pretty much announcing the goal, if the linesman was convinced about an offside being cause of interference they'd have given it straight away.

2 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Johnson didn't really give a **** about tonight. If we got through great, if we didn't no one is gunna lose sleep over it. 

Last year we had great fun, but it hurt us. There's no need for us to go chasing a cup run again. 

I thought we played some decent football and deserved to win on the whole. The lack of cutting edge concerns me. 

But that's our fault for not replacing 24 goal man Reid. That's doesn't lie at Johnsons feet though, that's a cheif executive & board decision. 

Losing tonight is not a bad thing for us. My heads already on Boro, Johnsons was even before this game. 

Weimann doesn't have a bad record so far...

14 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Anyway ratings:

Pisano - 6 - Did OK.

Kelly - 7 - Threaded a lot of good passes around, worked hard to try and make things happen.

SUBS

Eliason wasn’t on the bench, that’s why he didn’t come on

No rating for Walsh? Thought he was our best player tonight. A couple of lapses of concentration but his range of passing is great. His pass to put hunt in was class.

Our biggest problem is we are just not clinical enough infront of goal at the moment. Either our crosses/pull backs are just hopeful rather than picking Simone out or out strikers just arnt reading them. The problem is prob a bit of both in reality

2 minutes ago, ZiderMeUp said:

No rating for Walsh? Thought he was our best player tonight. A couple of lapses of concentration but his range of passing is great. His pass to put hunt in was class.

Our biggest problem is we are just not clinical enough infront of goal at the moment. Either our crosses/pull backs are just hopeful rather than picking Simone out or out strikers just arnt reading them. The problem is prob a bit of both in reality

I put Kelly down twice by mistake, second Kelly should have read Walsh (now corrected).

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

Also the shot was right in the corner so any keeper would not have kept that out. I’d understand the decision possibly if the shot went in centre of goal

11 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Like LJ  I’m not bothered and neither should anyone else be. We had our 15min of fame and yes it was enjoyable last season but you can’t be successful in this league playing 50+ games 

So, that’s one excuse LJ cannot throw out there this season regards cup runs

7 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Got to agree with you, I thought we played some great football at times, all we lacked was composure and a bit of subtlety in our final ball/crossing. Too many hard a low drilled crosses into the 6 yard box, instead of getting the head up and actually picking someone out, especially lacking was the pull back ball to the penalty spot area. 

I honestly don’t care that we got knocked out, last years run was great,  but ultimately it meant nothing at the end of the season. 

For Plymouth it was a case of going one up and holding on for the rest of the game, in fairness they defended well, but if ‘we’ had managed to score first, then a repeat of last years 5-0 score would have been on the cards, because we are simply way ahead of them football wise. 

14 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

3 poor showings now from Callum!! Hopefully he can put some good back to back performances starting this Saturday! 

I would be inclined to play Brownhill on the right, Pack and Smith in the middle, and play Eliasson on the left.  

6 minutes ago, ZiderMeUp said:

Agree, thought he was excellent, good short and long range passes, close with a few direct free kicks. Put a couple of great balls behind their defence to put players in.

We just couldn’t get on the end of crosses that wouldn’t fall for us or their keeper would pull off a good save

one of those games I’m afraid when it’s not your night

I lost count of corners and shots we had but the last 20 mins was backs to the wall for Plymouth 

Fair play to them, they had their night of glory and good luck in the next round. I won’t miss the Carabao cup this season

15 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fair enough if the ref gave it but, the linesman gave it, how could he tell?

The referee and linesman are in instant contact through their mics and earpieces, the referee more than likely called it, and the Lino then put his flag up. The Lino was right in front of us and there was a slight delay in his flag going up.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

The referee and linesman are in instant contact through their mics and earpieces, the referee more than likely called it, and the Lino then put his flag up. The Lino was right in front of us and there was a slight delay in his flag going up.

I was sat in line with the linesman also, seemed that when he put the flag up the ref had turned to run away, then noticed the flag. I think he then decided that the off side player (if he was) must have been interfering with play. The ref doesn't tell the linesman to flag if he's already called it.  Understand it if he asks if the player was offside but, the flag went up too quickly for that conversation to have taken place. Anyway, I'd like to see a replay of it.

FWIW

O'Leary - 7 - Good distribution, positive and accurate, as said would have needed a miracle save for the goal

Hunt - 6 - Got forward well I thought however Watkins didn't really help being infront of him (covered under MW) Also at fault for their goal with Kelly.

Pisano - 4 - Not a CB for me, to weak under pressure from striker and caught out defensively, one instance in first half standing off retreating and showed their striker in onto their (preferred) right foot allowing them to get a shot away, could have showed them onto their left of faced up.

Kelly - 6 - Good passing range, also looked good when he went to left back, missed header and contributing to goal with JH drops a point.

Dasilva - 6 - Promising start, a few loose touches/passes but first game, confident going forward and some nice crosses. 

Watkins - 5 - First 10/15 mins I was impressed had good movement, made good runs (which weren't picked out) and seemed pressing going forward, however after that seemed to disappear, seemed to only look to be involved for one two's for other people, the runs stopped and weak attempts at goal, his runs were between the LB and LCB channel meaning Hunt behind him didn't have anyone down the line to play to and dragged Eisa out to make those runs instead of being central.

Walsh - 7 - Our best player for me, kept us ticking all game, dread to think how bad our tempo would have been without him. Range of passing was good, carried the ball well and played quick balls into players in good positions (then need someone in that position to make a killer pass), happy with him being involved in the squad. 

Smith - 5 - Will preface this by saying he lost points for the utterly needless grabbing of the ball which caused the goal, stupid thing to do given he'd have known the whistle hadn't gone, he only ended up being tackled after trying to go forward rather than back with the ball to safety in the first place. Broke up play again fairly well, thought he showed his leadership qualities at times geeing up players, however as usual struggled with creativity around the box, with Walsh playing deeper we needed someone more creative with him.

O'Dowda - 5 - Thought he looked better carrying the ball through the middle than he did trying to play out wide, needed better quality with the ball in advanced places out wide and needed better delivery. However did cover well defensively when required as normal.

Eisa - 5 - Quiet for the most part, other than the runs which Watkins made him go wide for I thought he largely waited in the middle for the ball to come to him, didn't make something happen, a couple of decent shots but I think he needs to be better with his awareness of his surroundings on the ball, early in the first half Watkins broke into the box but Eisa chose to shoot, I noticed it a couple of times where he shot with options on.

Taylor - ? - Is it possible to give someone a negative score? I really don't know what he contributed today, he lacked his usual movement of dragging defenders and stayed central with Eisa, his control was poor and rarely got on the ball, frankly we need to upgrade, if Taylor is first choice behind Weimann and Diedhiou we're in trouble if we need to rely on him for a stretch of time.

Subs 

Weimann - 7 - Added extra tempo when he came on and made things happen, looked a quality above what we had on the pitch, should have been introduced at least 10 minutes earlier if not at half time

Webster - 6 - solid, composed on the ball and defensively. Again good with the ball at his feet, did chicken out of taking the shot late on but tried to get a better player on the ball. 

Brownhill - Too little time

Johnson - 4 - Waited too long to make subs, each should have been made much earlier. Given the rule change as well as soon as we went behind we should have acted like we needed to win 2-1 rather than grabbing an equaliser.  

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I must sit behind you.

43 minutes ago, hodge said:

The linesman only gave it once players started complaining, Downsey was pretty much announcing the goal, if the linesman was convinced about an offside being cause of interference they'd have given it straight away.

Weimann doesn't have a bad record so far...

Linesman flagged it pretty early to be fair.

Wasnt instant, but I had a look over before celebrating and it was up at that point.

Referee was playing on so I did celebrate, but half expecting it to be pulled back.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Linesman flagged it pretty early to be fair.

Wasnt instant, but I had a look over before celebrating and it was up at that point.

Referee was playing on so I did celebrate, but half expecting it to be pulled back.

Was sat behind him, took him a good bit after the ball was in the net, if he was convinced about it flag should have been up straight away then up to ref to determine whether he was interfering. 

29 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Got to agree with you, I thought we played some great football at times, all we lacked was composure and a bit of subtlety in our final ball/crossing. Too many hard a low drilled crosses into the 6 yard box, instead of getting the head up and actually picking someone out, especially lacking was the pull back ball to the penalty spot area. 

I honestly don’t care that we got knocked out, last years run was great,  but ultimately it meant nothing at the end of the season. 

For Plymouth it was a case of going one up and holding on for the rest of the game, in fairness they defended well, but if ‘we’ had managed to score first, then a repeat of last years 5-0 score would have been on the cards, because we are simply way ahead of them football wise. 

What was really frustrating was the 3-4 times when no one gambled into the penalty area.

There was a point where (I think) Watkins had got to the byline with a run to keep the ball in play, but not a single person had gambled on him doing so.

Dare I say that if Bryan had been LB rather than Kelly at that point he would have gone to it and been left with a glorious opportunity.

Archived