IGNORED

Back from the Gate - Summary & ratings

old_eastender

The problem tonight was we failed to open them up through the middle which has usually been one of our strengths.

Constantly going wide and putting in aimless crosses with no real target man was pointless. I’m sure Plymouth’s manager couldn’t believe his luck as we played a style that suited a League 2 side.

The value of Pack, Brownhill and dare I say Paterson was highlighted, as was the absence of the dearly departed trio. 

It will take us a while to adjust but some parts were clear. Pisano is not a CB and Kelly is not ruthless or clinical enough to fill that role at present. Walsh looks a prospect as does DaSilva, Watkins looked reluctant to take a man on and Eisa looks what he is, keen but inexperienced at this level, I was screaming  at him to get out before the offside goal and personally thought he should have come off before Taylor who cut a frustrated figure after an underwhelming performance.

I also think we are approaching the time where Korey Smith becomes surplus to requirements if we are to progress.

Finally just wanted to say nice gesture from Bailey Wright, Pato and Frankie who came into the crowd pre-game after a woman had been hit in the face in the warm up by a wayward effort, gave her a note/card and did a few pics, even with her bloodied nose I think.

Wonder what Pack infront of Walsh could be like, without needing to be deep to start plays Pack could be free to be more creative upfield and we've seen he can slide balls in. Allow Walsh to take over the role of being the distributor to start moves and keep things ticking. I'd be moving Brownhill out right again at this rate, no ones done better than he did last season (Eliasson out left).

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Are you really struggling to work it out?

Johnson didn't really give a **** about tonight. If we got through great, if we didn't no one is gunna lose sleep over it. 

Last year we had great fun, but it hurt us. There's no need for us to go chasing a cup run again. 

I thought we played some decent football and deserved to win on the whole. The lack of cutting edge concerns me. 

But that's our fault for not replacing 24 goal man Reid. That's doesn't lie at Johnsons feet though, that's a cheif executive & board decision. 

Losing tonight is not a bad thing for us. My heads already on Boro, Johnsons was even before this game. 

Another excuse, the excuse count is adding up.

What hurt us was a gutless, unambitious shambles during the January window.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Got to agree with you, I thought we played some great football at times, all we lacked was composure and a bit of subtlety in our final ball/crossing. Too many hard a low drilled crosses into the 6 yard box, instead of getting the head up and actually picking someone out, especially lacking was the pull back ball to the penalty spot area. 

I honestly don’t care that we got knocked out, last years run was great,  but ultimately it meant nothing at the end of the season. 

For Plymouth it was a case of going one up and holding on for the rest of the game, in fairness they defended well, but if ‘we’ had managed to score first, then a repeat of last years 5-0 score would have been on the cards, because we are simply way ahead of them football wise. 

You have just described the last 8 months and we have not addressed it with our signings, our crossing has been poor, our free kicks have been poor, we run out of ideas in and around the opponents box and we have an uncanny ability to hit the first defender either crossing or shooting and our results reflect that.

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Koreys goal was because Eisa was directly in front of their GK while in an offside position, so deemed interfering with play.

Precisely how you can be "intefering with play" when you have your back to it f- knows.

The obese linesman in front of the Lansdown is probably now wearing a green and white shirt and being bought drinks by his mate in some Union Street dive.

He's the guy who flagged any 50/50 as a foul to Plymouth, and was overruled by an embarrassed ref after indicating a goal kick after a deflection that absolutely HAD to be our corner. 

To my mind Songo'o looked offside for their goal too.

I'm not one to try to disguise our failings by blaming the officials, but that guy was a total ********

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Precisely how you can be "intefering with play" when you have your back to it f- knows.

The obese linesman in front of the Lansdown is probably now wearing a green and white shirt and being bought drinks by his mate in some Union Street dive.

He's the guy who flagged any 50/50 as a foul to Plymouth, and was overruled by an embarrassed ref after indicating a goal kick after a deflection that absolutely HAD to be our corner. 

I'm not one to try to disguise our failings by blaming the officials, but that guy was a total ********

Full marks Robbo, we should campaign for that word to be in the English Oxford Dictionary, it's a great word and will be my word of the week, thank you for cheering me up with that one.?

2 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

Blimey how small is Dasilva, he makes LJ look like a giant

Beginning to think that’s what LJ likes, the average height of our new players is shrinking fast, soon additions will be pigmy’s no chance of a leader there. 

Though have to say Walsh, Dasilva, Watkins and Kelly were impressive, the snake was better playing from midfield, WTF was he doing playing as CF? 

Badly let down by not signing a target man, can see the near future - Fammy gets back, injured pretty quick and we are ****ed

Tonights game - ref primed to make sure our oponents got the advantage?? Shit decisions all through the game. They tried hard enough to fix the draws last season!

With hope and some optimism I hope little Lee has an ace up his slieve for Middlesbrough! Yes only three games in but we look like 2018’s first half will continue - please please prove me wrong COYR

4 hours ago, dave36 said:

Another thought! Can anyone tell me why every corner was a short one? we have got a good reputation for scoring from set pieces - was tonight an admission that our playmakers have hugely f****ed up and there is no centre presence worth utilising?

We did when we had Flint to aim for, we didn't have any big presence in the box so were knocking it short to get a better angle on it for putting a ball in.

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Reading most of the reports, are we saying that (and god I hate this phrase ) on another day we would have won comfortably ?

We’re missing Bobby and Taylor was a waste of time. We should try  Lloyd Kelly up front I think he could make a promising Center forward. Needs to improve on his heading a bit though!!!

Ok just to say Smith's goal hit right in the corner was only avoided by Eisa lifting his leg whilst returning from an offside position, technically interfering with play however the goalkeeper who in no way way was impeded by Eisa was caught the wrong side of the goal. My view if VAR was present it would have been allowed but in the heat of the moment probably correct decision.

9 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Yep, but very harsh decision. Ref should have overruled Linesman in my view, it's not like Eisa was close to the keeper.

He was blocking the keepers sight if the ball and the ball went between Eisa's legs. Unfortunately for us, we will I consider a correct decision by linesman. 

As far as the game over all. Thought we bossed it until they scored, then they looked very comfortable on the ball . It wasn't until the blood and thunder of the last 20 minutes did we really look like scoring however it wasn't to be. We didn't have that cutting edge, as others have said this is worrying. Famara's return cannot come soon enough.

Playing with a team of fuulbacks and wingers is never going to win  the game. 

Can’t get too despondent about last night tbh.

Very much a second string side (no real central defenders starting said a lot) and an arguably weaker one than we fielded at the same stage last year meant this was very much an afterthought.

Enjoyed the run last year, and will live long in the memory, but it is telling that two of the three promoted teams last season went out of this cup at round two (Cardiff and Fulham) to Burton and some other team that claims to be from Bristol too.

Personally; this isn’t the worst result, especially considering we are still to have our club captain back from injury and one of our best strikers available - puts some minutes in the legs of the lads who played, but the real game is at home to Boro on Saturday.

Guy next to me (close to Lino ) also said that he thought Eisa lifted, or stuck out, his leg. He certainly didn’t have his back to play. I’d have thought he should have looked up and seen we were coming forward and got himself off the pitch to avoid any risk of an offside. That, and Korey’s totally unprofessional handball cost us. 

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Eisa was down on the floor for half a minute (cramp maybe?) got up when nobody took any notice and play had gone away, was walking back towards play when Korey shot straight at him in a clearly offside position, in line with keeper. 

Good decision from ref. 

VAR wouldn't have helped!

Eisa's fault I'm afraid.

26 minutes ago, NYTRAM said:

Ok just to say Smith's goal hit right in the corner was only avoided by Eisa lifting his leg whilst returning from an offside position, technically interfering with play however the goalkeeper who in no way way was impeded by Eisa was caught the wrong side of the goal. My view if VAR was present it would have been allowed but in the heat of the moment probably correct decision.

Unfortunately Eisa didn’t try to get back onside quickly before the shot was even hit, he was ambling back, shame it was disallowed but last season everyone blamed the cup run for our imploding season, so will see if going out early does the opposite!

24 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Eisa was down on the floor for half a minute (cramp maybe?) got up when nobody took any notice and play had gone away, was walking back towards play when Korey shot straight at him in a clearly offside position, in line with keeper. 

Good decision from ref. 

Eisa's fault I'm afraid.

100% correct he had no urgency for getting back on side and it looked to me that he lifted his leg which suggests he was in the keepers eye line, hopefully he learns from it

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Good decision from ref. 

Eisa's fault I'm afraid.

But he doesn't need to be onside, just not interfering with play.

I didn't see him standing in front of the keeper or anything.  The keeper had a clear view of Korey. 

Given we looked pretty horrendous last night, I'm surprised not many people are talking about how good of a game both Kelly and Walsh had.

Taylor and Eisa looked nigh on useless (and don't get me started on O'Dowda), but Weimann created more in the time he was on than either of those did all game. Obviously CB is a concern but Kelly showed he looked extremely comfortable there. 

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

But he doesn't need to be onside, just not interfering with play.

I didn't see him standing in front of the keeper or anything.  The keeper had a clear view of Korey. 

If he moved his leg in any way towards, over, in the direction of the ball then it will be deemed interfering. Should have stayed off the pitch to avoid that risk.

Archived