IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Red Skin

It’s all about opinions and none of us are right everytime as we’d be in football professionally. It’s a forum so people should just respect each other’s view and whilst I thought Walsh was excellent by the same token seen people rave about Marley Watkins which I cannot get. 

29 minutes ago, BradleyStokeRed said:

Thought the lad was terrible! Made a few good passes tbf. But lacking soooo much physicality and is not technically good enough to compensate for it. Also slowed the game down so much at times. Pack/Brownhill are about 10 times the player, can never see him getting to that level. Odd how people see different things. 

Spot on. Definitely potential in there though.

didn't see enough quality from Walsh or Smith last night to justify either of them getting in the first team for Saturday. Same goes for a lot of others, but as this thread is focused on Walsh, I'll just make my point about him. A mixed performance leaning more towards the poor than good; lost the ball too easily, was lightweight in many challenges and gave the ball away too often. Perhaps the lack of Taylor's movement was a factor in not being able to play decent balls through to the strikers? His most effective contributions came from set pieces. For someone who ought to be pushing for a regular first team place, he didn't do nearly enough to impress. 

Eisa and taylor’s movement was pretty poor and didn’t help Walsh when he was forced/chose to go for the quick through balls Long passes. When Weimann came on suddenly Walsh started having real movement in front of of him. I like Walsh but atm he’s with Korey on the bench watching pack and Brownhill 

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Eisa and taylor’s movement was pretty poor and didn’t help Walsh when he was forced/chose to go for the quick through balls Long passes. When Weimann came on suddenly Walsh started having real movement in front of of him. I like Walsh but atm he’s with Korey on the bench watching pack and Brownhill 

Didn't see last night but seems the showing from these two shows why Pack and Brownhill are starting in the league.

Interesting to read some good reports on Walsh, he was written off by a few on the match-day thread as "never" being good enough to start for City.  Clearly still needs development time. 

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

Didn't see last night but seems the showing from these two shows why Pack and Brownhill are starting in the league.

Interesting to read some good reports on Walsh, he was written off by a few on the match-day thread as "never" being good enough to start for City.  Clearly still needs development time. 

I think he's a poor man's Tommy d only my opinion 

Due to his lack of physical presence, but having ability to pick a pass, perhaps he could slot into the 10 role in front of Smith/Brownhill and Pack. This would give him a few games to get a stronger footing in the first team, at least till the obvious Weimann and Fammy partnership begins. 

35 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Agree about Taylor and Eisa's movement, hopeless. Generally I quite like Taylor but I thought he was uninterested last night. Eisa not ready at this level. Really liked Walsh and hopefully he gets more game time this season.

11 hours ago, INCRED said:

The game changed when Weiman came on because Walsh then had some one who made the right runs for him to pick out 

I was not a great Walsh fan before tonight but I thought he was excellent and the best player on the pitch. The pace of his passes and range as well as running at the opposition is something we have missed. He was very close with 2 free kicks also. He has a great deal of potential for one so young and can see from tonight's game why Everton rated him.

Agree with this. Thought he was outsanding but probably not the best partner for him in Korey Smith. Thought they were both too deep. Walsh has more quality on the ball and thought Korey should have stayed further forward linking play a bit. 

11 hours ago, Spoons said:

Sorry mate can't agree with that.

I do agree he has potential but I want him( so does LJ) to be challenging korey Smith, Josh brownhill and Marlon pack for a starting position. He's no where near IMO.

No he isn’t quite there yet but imo has more ability than all 3 just needs the experience. I know age isn’t the end all be all but is a bit younger than most our other “young” talents like McCoulskey, Moore, and Smith for example. 

7 hours ago, leadman said:

cant play him in a 2, we should have loaned him out to a first division team until january, i would like to see morrell get a run out.

This is the problem with Smith and Walsh. Not sure the can play in a two comfortably for a full season. They both suit a 3 better. Pack and Brownhill suit the two best out of all 4 for sure though. Walsh could possibly suit it one day but tough to ask him now. Think he could be our Barry Bannan type in the near future(next season hopefully!) 

11 minutes ago, Orbital said:

Due to his lack of physical presence, but having ability to pick a pass, perhaps he could slot into the 10 role in front of Smith/Brownhill and Pack. This would give him a few games to get a stronger footing in the first team, at least till the obvious Weimann and Fammy partnership begins. 

He is not tall but I did not see his lack of physicality. Gets stuck in when needed and saw him glide by defenders at time getting a push but having good balance and not struggling. He is a tough little player tbf

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree with this. Thought he was outsanding but probably not the best partner for him in Korey Smith. Thought they were both too deep. Walsh has more quality on the ball and thought Korey should have stayed further forward linking play a bit. 

No he isn’t quite there yet but imo has more ability than all 3 just needs the experience. I know age isn’t the end all be all but is a bit younger than most our other “young” talents like McCoulskey, Moore, and Smith for example. 

This is the problem with Smith and Walsh. Not sure the can play in a two comfortably for a full season. They both suit a 3 better. Pack and Brownhill suit the two best out of all 4 for sure though. Walsh could possibly suit it one day but tough to ask him now. Think he could be our Barry Bannan type in the near future(next season hopefully!) 

He is not tall but I did not see his lack of physicality. Gets stuck in when needed and saw him glide by defenders at time getting a push but having good balance and not struggling. He is a tough little player tbf

Being tenacious and having a physical presence are two different things. If up against a combative, sizeable midfield (as is often the case) his tenacity will not win him strength or aerial duels. Putting him in the ten role might allow his creativity to flourish - as it did for Bobby.

1 minute ago, Orbital said:

Being tenacious and having a physical presence are two different things. If up against a combative, sizeable midfield (as is often the case) his tenacity will not win him strength or aerial duels. Putting him in the ten role might allow his creativity to flourish - as it did for Bobby.

No doubt about that. He will never be the favourite for an aerial battle and I am sure will get pushed off the ball at times but his tenacity will(and did last night) catch some out. Again I bring up Bannan and he is not very big but runs championship games and does not struggle with the physicality. Honestly think he just needs minutes and he will be a steal for us. 

17 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Agree about Taylor and Eisa's movement, hopeless. Generally I quite like Taylor but I thought he was uninterested last night. Eisa not ready at this level. Really liked Walsh and hopefully he gets more game time this season.

Eisa was our only striker who seemed likely to score last night, and was unlucky that defender's knee just slid in front for a block of his goalward shot in the first half.

Ultimately though, if you play dozens of crosses trying to pick out little guys just in front of a massive keeper, your forwards aren't going to have much luck. 

If we get our tactics right, I can see goals coming for Mo. He clearly knows where the net is.

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No doubt about that. He will never be the favourite for an aerial battle and I am sure will get pushed off the ball at times but his tenacity will(and did last night) catch some out. Again I bring up Bannan and he is not very big but runs championship games and does not struggle with the physicality. Honestly think he just needs minutes and he will be a steal for us. 

I hope given time, you're right. It's a shame to see his price tag already used against him, but from a value for money point of view, the return from that investment, either on the pitch or transfer-wise could be millions. 

"Outstanding"?

Incorrect use of superlatives is a horrible distortion of the English language and means that it is difficult to understand exactly what one means.

I would describe his performance as encouraging, improving, but still needs to have more awareness of players around him, both friend and foe. At his age, like all young players, his form will vary from good to indifferent.

I see him being used as a late sub if we need another body in midfield to hold a lead but don't see him getting too many starts, unless of course, as an injury replacement.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

"Outstanding"?

Incorrect use of superlatives is a horrible distortion of the English language and means that it is difficult to understand exactly what one means.

I would describe his performance as encouraging, improving, but still needs to have more awareness of players around him, both friend and foe. At his age, like all young players, his form will vary from good to indifferent.

I see him being used as a late sub if we need another body in midfield to hold a lead but don't see him getting too many starts, unless of course, as an injury replacement.

Outstanding summary? pretty much how I feel about him. I have also said I would not mind seeing him used when we need a goal as a deeper playmaker but he would not be as effective for teams countering as Smith. If he gets that i think he takes minutes from Korey but still plenty of time before that. Think Korey in his last 12 months too. Walsh’s development could decide what type of deal Smith is offered, possibly? 

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I really like Brownhill, but think Walsh has more creatively.  At this stage I can only see Walsh playing in a five man midfield.   With Weiman making intelligent runs and finding the space he does, Walsh and Pack are our two players with the vision and technical ability to pick him out.

On 14/08/2018 at 22:56, Red Army Faction said:

Think this lad was outstanding tonight.

Always demanding the ball.  Some class final passes to create chances and ran at defenders round the edge of the box.   He really needs to start next game.  

I can now see what Everton fans were gutted when he left to come to us.   

Well done Liam.

Yes I  to light weight needs  to be stronger on the Ball

17 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Average for me. Very quick to pass sideways and I don't think his passing range is as good as he thinks it is. 

Too lightweight and gets knocked off the ball too easily. Don't get me wrong he wasn't the worst player on the park. 

As I said previously I don’t think he was ‘outstanding’ but certainly had a very good game on the whole and showed more than I had previously thought him capiable of. One point, he may have lost the ball a few times but showed great determination to get it back again and often did.

As I also said previously, we are developing a team of hard working players who will hassle until they drop, one or two real talented players but mostly effort over talent. I think Walsh like many others fits into this category. But isn’t that how Lee had to play, so no real surprise.

51 minutes ago, RedM said:

As I also said previously, we are developing a team of hard working players who will hassle until they drop, one or two real talented players but mostly effort over talent.

That's a concern for me.  In one sense we have the personnel to play the presiding game for more of the season now, but we lack creativity.  I think Walsh IS different because he does have that vision to see a pass, has and is now developing the confidence to attempt it.  

(His floated balls into the keeper weren't great first half but once he got his eye in and with Weiman on the pitch, he was much better).

I think that all of these comments come from Gary Johnson under an alias.

He somehow found a way to play junior and I guess junior is using the same pink glasses to view Walsh

When you are so small you cannot win anything in the air and you win few 50:50's as you get muscled out. The small players who have really made it have aggression, a great motor and vision to pick a pass.

Walsh has none of these attributes.

He is a pass recycler constantly demanding the ball and doing nothing but passing sideways or backwards

Bearing in mind the average height of our team, he is a luxury at corners and free kicks and cannot be left up front because he has no pace.

I agree with the Warnock theory "a good big un is always better than a good littleun" 

Archived