IGNORED

Johnson - No new striker incoming (Merged)

Kingswoodactor

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah surprised by that comment. Weimann looks a good buy, we know Famara is fine at this level.. no idea how well Eisa will adapt and Taylor doesn’t quite look good enough.

Having 2 our of 4 strikers as either unproven or not good enough is risky.. especially as Djuric was such a good plan B. 

Agree. So where else in the team are the goals I wonder. Most chip in with the odd one here and there but not seeing many. Obviously we have lost Flint’s from defence with no obvious andidate to replace them for instance.

As I said on the match day thread

The stark reality (as  I See it)

If Weimann doesn’t continue his form

and / or Famara doesn’t have a good / very good season

Or either get injured 

we look like we could be in a whole heap of *****

dont see many goals at all coming from midfield or numerous wide players personally 

As for all the bold claims by some  of being better defensively and conceding less.....

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not a Taylor fan at all, but I think he looked a different player alongside Diedhiou in the cup last season.  It gives me a bit of hope that he may contribute this season.

Not making excuses, but maybe an Eisa / Taylor combo wasn’t right for either player.  I’m still on hols so wasn’t there.  Did they link up at all or play as two individuals?

I remember Tammy playing alongside Djúric a couple of times.  He looked lost, never linked at all, never understood where to run off of Milan, whereas playing up top on his own he looked so much better.

Although I am happy enough with our 4 strikers, I get why others think we are one short.  I think it’s pretty clear that it will be Diedhiou up top with Weimann alongside him predominantly.  If either get injured we revert to the likes of Pato behind.  I think we’ll only play a true two from the start when Diedhiou and Weimann are available.  It wouldn’t surprise me if Weimann plays the odd game wide right too.

It will not be easy to bring in a striker of any real pedigree and then say that they’re not first choice (Because of FD and AW).

It did not seem a natural pairing but I can’t give Taylor any more passes. His touch is nonexistent when even remotely pressured. His passing last night had to be in the 50/50 range. This was supposed to be more his level playing a L1 team and he was possibly the worst player to start for either team. Again, probably not a great partnership but I expected more of the little things from him that he just didn’t produce. 

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Or either get injured 

dont see many goals at all coming from midfield or numerous wide players personally 

As for all the bold claims by some  of being better defensively and conceding less.....

We’re two games in...........way to early to assess anything imv and last night could well be a blessing in disguise after last seasons spectacular cup run which had such a damaging effect on City’s league form.

Lets wait untill we’re 10 games in before getting the knives out.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We’re two games in...........way to early to assess anything imv and last night could well be a blessing in disguise after last seasons spectacular cup run which had such a damaging effect on City’s league form.

Lets wait untill we’re 10 games in before getting the knives out.

Footballing Question for you

Who’s delivering goals other than AW / FD then 

( PS Don’t bother with a predictable nonsense ‘Well we don’t know , someone will step up like Bobby did’. Which actually equates to ‘I havnt a clue’)

1 minute ago, The Batman said:

Just an idea from left field...... any idea whether we can recall McCoulsky?

Appreciate he's not been playing at this level, mind you, nor have Eisa and Taylor.

If things get really bad for a striking option due to injuries, form etc, can he be recalled?

No

(What a goal he scored last night btw - if anyone hasn’t seen it have a look)

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Or either get injured 

Yes it seems we are reliant on our starting XI again. I can see why the optimism because are starters for the most part look good. We also have our record signing to come back. Reasons to be optimistic.

That said, seems we are gambling a bit. We are stronger in depth now but not to the point we can lose a key player for any stretch of time outside of the wide positions. Striker and CB weak especially with Wright trying to get fit(no preseason) and Kelly not quite up to CB yet.

It is a weird season because we want youth to step up but still probably a season too early for most. Almost lookslike we are biding our time and resources to let them catch up. Risky thing to do. It could pay off but could really backfire if Webster or Diedhiou take long injuries. Think our starting XI is a good top 10 side but will that side always be available? 

Taylor has had more than enough chances now & if he becomes a regular starter for us then we will be struggling. One ball to Smith cannot gloss over a 3 year contract & he has such a poor touch when we need the ball to stick!!

Eisa you have to give more time but thought he’d struggled last night & injuries or further suspensions to Fammy/Weimann will leave us short & exposed so for the life of me I don’t get Johnson’s view we don’t need a striker.

We also need a CB and GK and have more numbers now than last season but not the quality. 4 wins in 27 is very worrying & this could be a long season. 

The pairing of Taylor and Eisa did not work. 

Eisa is the type of striker who needs the ball to be played to him in tight situations where, when he adjusts to the pace of the game at this level, he seems capable of getting early shots with either foot. 

Taylor could not bring the ball under control, let alone make any passes. This game has finally confirmed to me that Taylor is not good enough even as a bench option. We would have done better to have put Janneh and Eisa together. 

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

( PS Don’t bother with a predictable nonsense ‘Well we don’t know , someone will step up like Bobby did’. Which actually equates to ‘I havnt a clue’)

This time last season who saw Reid bagging 20+ goals? 

You’re asking me to make a prediction based on two games..............of which I’ve seen  one live.

I might be good but not that good......

28 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It did not seem a natural pairing but I can’t give Taylor any more passes. His touch is nonexistent when even remotely pressured. His passing last night had to be in the 50/50 range. This was supposed to be more his level playing a L1 team and he was possibly the worst player to start for either team. Again, probably not a great partnership but I expected more of the little things from him that he just didn’t produce. 

I share some of the worries about Taylor and wasn't at the match last night, but he has shown in the past that his touch can be sublime, as when setting up Brownhill against Brighton and Smith against Man Utd.   However, he certainly doesn't seem to be showing that he can hack it at this level at the moment, and he is running out of time to show that he can be a Championship player. 

22 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Just an idea from left field...... any idea whether we can recall McCoulsky?

Appreciate he's not been playing at this level, mind you, nor have Eisa and Taylor.

If things get really bad for a striking option due to injuries, form etc, can he be recalled?

McCoulsky isn't a target man either, and couldn't hold down a regular place at Newport last season.  Needs at least another season developing before he will be good enought for the Championship.

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

No

(What a goal he scored last night btw - if anyone hasn’t seen it have a look)

Well Paterson scored on Saturday and has shown that he knows where the net is.  I know that there have been doubts abotu his contributions in the first two matches, but he has shown that he can produce a goal out of nothing.

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes it seems we are reliant on our starting XI again. I can see why the optimism because are starters for the most part look good. We also have our record signing to come back. Reasons to be optimistic.

That said, seems we are gambling a bit. We are stronger in depth now but not to the point we can lose a key player for any stretch of time outside of the wide positions. Striker and CB weak especially with Wright trying to get fit(no preseason) and Kelly not quite up to CB yet.

It is a weird season because we want youth to step up but still probably a season too early for most. Almost lookslike we are biding our time and resources to let them catch up. Risky thing to do. It could pay off but could really backfire if Webster or Diedhiou take long injuries. Think our starting XI is a good top 10 side but will that side always be available? 

Chewing this over last night / this morning 

Two weeks into the season and it appears

We look to have our fingers crossed with a far from ideal keeper situation

Have we solved the Rb problem -after 2 1/2  yrs - Some saying they’d play Pisano !!! Saturday

Two similar type players and I’m not convinced either the answer

We now have a CB worry it seems - Webster looks ok / decent , lots of concerns about Baker and in last seasons crash Bailey Wight too - No obvious convincing first choice .pair.......and back up to those three options .........

Still signs of promise from LK but on last nights reports it’s him or a tiny Desilva yet to make his debut at this level to play at lb until at least January

None of our various wide options yet to really impress with NE surprisingly looking the brightest .... but as pleased as I’ve even been with him - a player you can ‘rely on’ atm ? ....

Beyond any contribution from Patterson in and out I don’t see many goals

Forward wise Weimann and potentially Diedhiou look to be a potential decent front two

After that...... who’s our go to third choice ?

Taylor ? - Listening to most the consensus now appears to be had his chance / not good enough

Eisa ? - Like little raw signs I see in him but from Isthmian to our 3rd choice in 18 months ? This season should have been a free hit for him with development and anything he did when he got any minutes , no more than that 

Bottom line is who can say that they  have real confidence in

Our

Keeping situation

Right Back

Centre Backs ?

Left Back ?

Forward options ?

Sorry , But After nearly 3 yrs in post , over 50 players recruited We are either extremely unlucky or very careless

Bad luck ?

FFs injury has not helped the keeping situation , but other than Famara who have we to come back in that’s going to dramatically improve the picture

No doubt I will get some usual reactions to this

but I challenge anyone to put up a good reason for any confidence in the above ‘doubts’ (Past hope in Weimann/Famara) looking forward atm

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This time last season who saw Reid bagging 20+ goals? 

You’re asking me to make a prediction based on two games..............of which I’ve seen  one live.

I might be good but not that good......

As I predicted 

So Baker after a couple of dodgy performances is injured (maybe excuse for how he played), so we do need a CB with all our other sick notes, makes a joke of letting Mags go.

We will have 2 forwards when Fam allowed to play, plus a good raw prospect and Taylor who should be sent out on loan, although not sure he would be able to get in Plymouths team. Makes us look very light upfront, sorry Tammy if you were hoping to come back.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It would have been nice to get in a striker that we can be confident will score consistently, but there are goalscorers in the squad:

Eisa - 23 goals last season, as well as scoring loads of goals every season he's played. Yes a lower level, but he's yet to get a proper chance at this level and what more could he have done at those levels below to prove he's worthy of a shot?

Taylor - More than a 1 in 2 record for the Gas. He's not been in form for us up to now for whatever reason, a lot of that fitness related I would suggest. Given a bit of confidence he has proven to be a good goalscorer in the past.

Watkins - 10 goals from midfield in 16/17. Didn't fit at Norwich, but proven he can do it at this level in the recent past.

Paterson - his career strike rate would indicate that in a full season he will score around 8 goals in a season. Playing a bit further forward there's no reason he couldn't go beyond that level.

When you add to that the fact that various other players who won't be consistent scorers but will notch a few throughout the season (Brownhill, Pack, O'Dowda etc.) there's no reason to really panic at this point.

Last season in the league Bobby got 19, Fam 13, Flinty 8, Joe + Paterson + Brownhill 5 each. Everyone else scored 3 or less.

We have two good striking options in Fam and Weimann seemingly. No reason Fam's second season at this level couldn't get him to around the mark Bobby got last year, Weimann already has 2, would matching Fam's tally from last season really be a stretch? Paterson and Brownhill are still here, so it's Flint and Joe's 13 goals that are missing. No reason the above couldn't outscore that figure.

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I share some of the worries about Taylor and wasn't at the match last night, but he has shown in the past that his touch can be sublime, as when setting up Brownhill against Brighton and Smith against Man Utd.   However, he certainly doesn't seem to be showing that he can hack it at this level at the moment, and he is running out of time to show that he can be a Championship player. 

Even the moments you mention he has the time and space to pick his pass. When it comes to receiving it to feet with a CB near him you can count on him losing it. He has football ability no doubt but his best attributes just don’t seem to equate to championship football. If we started Taylor 46 times would he get 10 goals or so? Probably because we create a lot but I fear we’d be a bottom 6 team. We need better. As I said before could be a case of keep Taylor around until Eisa and McCoulskey are ready next season. 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As I predicted 

Two games in and you ask an impossible question and then brag about my ‘predictable’ reply..........

As I said - wait until 10 games have been played then ask again. By then I’ll have some idea of who could become a goal scoring midfielder.

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Chewing this over last night / this morning 

Two weeks into the season and it appears

We look to have our fingers crossed with a far from ideal keeper situation

Have we solved the Rb problem -after 2 1/2  yrs - Some saying they’d play Pisano !!! Saturday

Two similar type players and I’m not convinced either the answer

We now have a CB worry it seems - Webster looks ok / decent , lots of concerns about Baker and in last seasons crash Bailey Wight too - No obvious convincing first choice .pair.......and back up to those three options .........

Still signs of promise from LK but on last nights reports it’s him or a tiny Desilva yet to make his debut at this level to play at lb until at least January

None of our various wide options yet to really impress with NE surprisingly looking the brightest .... but as pleased as I’ve even been with him - a player you can ‘rely on’ atm ? ....

Beyond any contribution from Patterson in and out I don’t see many goals

Forward wise Weimann and potentially Diedhiou look to be a potential decent front two

After that...... who’s our go to third choice ?

Taylor ? - Listening to most the consensus now appears to be had his chance / not good enough

Eisa ? - Like little raw signs I see in him but from Isthmian to our 3rd choice in 18 months ? This season should have been a free hit for him with development and anything he did when he got any minutes , no more than that 

Bottom line is who can say that they  have real confidence in

Our

Keeping situation

Right Back

Centre Backs ?

Left Back ?

Forward options ?

Sorry , But After nearly 3 yrs in post , over 50 players recruited We are either extremely unlucky or very careless

Bad luck ?

FFs injury has not helped the keeping situation , but other than Famara who have we to come back in that’s going to dramatically improve the picture

No doubt I will get some usual reactions to this

but I challenge anyone to put up a good reason for any confidence in the above ‘doubts’ (Past hope in Weimann/Famara) looking forward atm

As I predicted 

The fears you have are genuine concerns. Some will work out and some will come true. We just never seem to cover all our bases. We finally get wide positions covered but then are short on CB and striker. Don’t improve the CM. Frustrating at times

4 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

It would have been nice to get in a striker that we can be confident will score consistently, but there are goalscorers in the squad:

Eisa - 23 goals last season, as well as scoring loads of goals every season he's played. Yes a lower level, but he's yet to get a proper chance at this level and what more could he have done at those levels below to prove he's worthy of a shot?

Taylor - More than a 1 in 2 record for the Gas. He's not been in form for us up to now for whatever reason, a lot of that fitness related I would suggest. Given a bit of confidence he has proven to be a good goalscorer in the past.

Watkins - 10 goals from midfield in 16/17. Didn't fit at Norwich, but proven he can do it at this level in the recent past.

Paterson - his career strike rate would indicate that in a full season he will score around 8 goals in a season. Playing a bit further forward there's no reason he couldn't go beyond that level.

When you add to that the fact that various other players who won't be consistent scorers but will notch a few throughout the season (Brownhill, Pack, O'Dowda etc.) there's no reason to really panic at this point.

Last season in the league Bobby got 19, Fam 13, Flinty 8, Joe + Paterson + Brownhill 5 each. Everyone else scored 3 or less.

We have two good striking options in Fam and Weimann seemingly. No reason Fam's second season at this level couldn't get him to around the mark Bobby got last year, Weimann already has 2, would matching Fam's tally from last season really be a stretch? Paterson and Brownhill are still here, so it's Flint and Joe's 13 goals that are missing. No reason the above couldn't outscore that figure.

Fair play - A reasoned answer

As for Taylor I see no sign of any progress in all honesty and I wouldn’t be relying on himVin any way as it stands

Eisa - I’ve said , like the signs but to expect him to deliver at this level immediately is ....tbh... crazy IMHO

Patterson is capable of even double figures in a good / very good season but how much would you bet on it ?

Watiins has had one good season yet even I have begun to cling into hope he may deliver

Weimann - good player , v good signing 

Famara - We know what he can do but I smile when we (And I include myself in that) now hail him as our saviour when there’s been questions about him at times ! I do think he can deliver 15-20 goals though

On last years goals we need to replace if we can 32 goals that Bryan Reid and Flint returned

Nearly half our total !! :blink:

Think with extra goals from Famara and Aine of Weimanns best ever seasons we can but we are massively reliant on goals from those two as far as I can see 

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The fears you have are genuine concerns. Some will work out and some will come true. We just never seem to cover all our bases. We finally get wide positions covered but then are short on CB and striker. Don’t improve the CM. Frustrating at times

A very large squad of in the main mediocrity tbh Joe

13 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Don't know if you were there last night, but to me Eisa looks very raw and certainly not composed when (half) chances manifested themselves.

Taylor offered nothing, and was pretty ineffective throughout his time in the game.

Watkins, apart from one promising run seemed to hide for most of the game.

And the most worrying aspect is that these potential Championship goal scorers were playing against a  L1 side, who now have their fist win of the new season.

9 hours ago, Sturny said:

Better than Weimann imo. Almost scored more goals in the champ in 16/17 than Weimann has in majority of his championship time 

Dunno why people are rubbishing facts :laugh:, Weimann has scored 17 in his entire championship time whilst Christ Martin has scored 71

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A very large squad of in the main mediocrity tbh Joe

Hard to argue. I’d use the younger players more if it were up to me. Why play Wright when he doesn’t get into our side as a midtable champ team when Vyner is a CB on loan in the same league? Why play Taylor who has never cut it above L1 when McCoulskey is hungry to make an impact and shows coming off the bench does not bother him? Of course you keep game changers like Pato and Watkins around but why pay 8-10k a week for fringe players like Taylor, Wright and Hegeler when you can play young players who want to make it a fraction of the price

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Dunno why people are rubbishing facts :laugh:, Weimann has scored 17 in his entire championship time whilst Christ Martin has scored 71

Weinman has played on the wing for the majority of his championship career, now we've moved him to his favored centre forward position he's got 2 in 2 in the league, but hey its not like you to look at the facts is it?

Archived