IGNORED

Johnson - No new striker incoming (Merged)

Kingswoodactor

22 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Do you think SL would have such strong feeling about style of play ?

A nice bonus for sure

For any faults of SL am not convinced he would dictate that 

I think it’s Lees philosophy having been wowed by Man City and I gues one he sold to SL

With excellent coaching and tactics it is possible to over achieve in comparison to budget, even playing this way but can I see us getting promoted this way

Not really (Tho I lose little sleep about promotion)

To achieve it we IMHO would need the moon and stars all to align IMHO -

we’d need to be at a point where we had a good settled side with all parts functioning , no one close to a contract end , the bravery to resist any bids for our players and in a season where a number of the big guns and favourites all messed up

Wasn't this all meant to be aligned to the five pillars and the academy?? Style of play or the players being developed in the academy has to be considered. SL must have been signing it off. This idea of Man City?? Where???

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Found it! On Bristol Live.

More injury worries in the CB position.

He reckoned that Djuric “wasn’t the same” after the two operations last season and that he was keen to return to Italy to be near his family. No point keeping a player if he’s unhappy I guess.

Not surprised he’s not looking to replace Djuric with Fammy available soon. Not  having a big big man up top encourages the team to play proper football which I guess it what we’d all like to see.

I theory it could encourages us to play proper football. We’ll see on Saturday?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The Small man syndrome, the son of the boss, the non-glorious playing career for an ambitious young manager.  All things that could make him insecure.

Thats not to say he is purposely making the squad younger.  Age isn’t necessarily the attribute.  There are plenty of experienced players happy to tow the managers line, not challenge the status quo, etc.  Some managers like having these types of character around, ‘yes men’ if you like.

Yep, that's it in a nutshell. Agree 100%. 

And, to go one stage further, I think the "yes men" thing is actually driven from the very top down - the quiet, studious man who owns our club has tended to favour the appointment of managers - in spite of their lack of qualifications for the job - of similarly quiet, studious, deferential character: Tinnion, Millen, Johnson, even Coppell (although he had a track record of success behind him, unlike the others).

Contrast this to Cotterill - the opposite of quiet and deferential - whose brash  character meant that his relationship with the suits above him - and by extension Lansdown - eventually became so poor that he lost his job despite, only months earlier, delivering unprecedented success for a perennially underachieving club.

Lansdown has surrounded himself with characters, personality traits, that reflect himself. Nothing wrong with that per se as we all do it. However I'm not convinced this will deliver us meaningful success (if that's defined as Premier League football).   

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We’ve never been a good team defensively at this level bar a short spell last season.

Baker very disappointing as he has all the attributes of a top defender but only seems to show it when he’s in the mood.  

This is what frustrates me about him - on his good days he makes defending at this level look easy and on his bad days is a liability.

From the brief highlights I've seen (maybe not the best camera angle??) he appears to jump out of the way of the cross from which Bolton score their second, giving a very good impression of a girl playing hopscotch whilst doing so. A centre half, jumping out of the way! He should have been chucking his body in front of it for heaven's sake. 

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

Wasn't this all meant to be aligned to the five pillars and the academy?? Style of play or the players being developed in the academy has to be considered. SL must have been signing it off. This idea of Man City?? Where???

Think there was a philosophy of developing players under the 5 pillars and developing a playing style through the Club

But if the dictate was for tic a taca SC never followed it and for the majority of the time SL had a grin the size of a Cheshire cat

So either the playing ethos came with LJ or pulled back out the draw and was dusted down 

And as for   ‘The idea of Man City ? ‘

’where’ ?

Lee Johnson spent a lot of time at their academy whilst at Oldham (Thanks to a link with Brian Marwood) where he admits he gained a lot of his ideas

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think there was a philosophy of developing players under the 5 pillars and developing a playing style through the Club

But if the dictate was for tic a taca SC never followed it and for the majority of the time SL had a grin the size of a Cheshire cat

So either the playing ethos came with LJ or pulled back out the draw and was dusted down 

And as for   ‘The idea of Man City ? ‘

’where’ ?

Lee Johnson spent a lot of time at their academy whilst at Oldham (Thanks to a link with Brian Marwood) where he admits he gained a lot of his ideas

Cotterill was a departure and wanted to be his own man and wanted to sign and do what he wanted. Another story. Seriously what ideas is Lee Johnson using in his tactics from Man City? 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Is this a whoosh attempt ?:blink:

No last season saw Djuric and Famara up top. Quite a lot of long ball andc at one point wacking it like Cardiff. Fielding wacking the ball off the park. High presses sometimes no times. Short passing sometimes yes and no.

On otib there us talk of tippy tappy??? Play two three games is a bit more patient but Man City? Splitting CB's can be seen at Ashton boys. 

13 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

hope he looks at that again. the forward line is very weak. if Steve allows him to bring one in but does not want to then more fool him. that decision could cost him his job. 27 attempts on goal last night. nothing to show for it.  sorry but that's  dreadful

I keep hearing 27 attempts last night. I cant remember seeing that many. did they count all the times the keeper picked the ball out of the air because none of our lot were tall enough to reach it??

13 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Footballing Question for you

Who’s delivering goals other than AW / FD then 

( PS Don’t bother with a predictable nonsense ‘Well we don’t know , someone will step up like Bobby did’. Which actually equates to ‘I havnt a clue’)

No

(What a goal he scored last night btw - if anyone hasn’t seen it have a look)

Too right we need them in before the end of August a midfielder that can actually cross the halfway line a pacey striker and a solid centre back by January could well be too late  we play the ball around well with no end product

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, but why did you choose 16/17 as the comparison season when Martin scored 60 championship goals from 2013 to 2016 whilst he scored 10 goals in 16/17 ?!

Was trying to get a more recent informish season he’s played 

16 hours ago, havanatopia said:

He tries too many new things for that always to be possible. Like selling the 3 best players bringing 7 new ones in and hoping for the best it works. I think there is no doubt he tries hard and works hard and as a relative newcomer he needs to but he has managed about 200+ games now so we have to hope he knows exactly what he is doing with the close season changes. 

he had no choice but to sell,

Why can't people understand this, it doesn't matter who was manager those 3 players would of been sold 

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he had no choice but to sell,

Why can't people understand this, it doesn't matter who was manager those 3 players would of been sold 

It is just unfortunate that it was 3 in one window. Usually you might expect to lose 1 key player in a window (Kodjia for example).. but 3 does feel a blow.

Agree with you though, nothing we could’ve done if they all wanted out, especially given Reid and Bryan’s contract situations.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It is just unfortunate that it was 3 in one window. Usually you might expect to lose 1 key player in a window (Kodjia for example).. but 3 does feel a blow.

Agree with you though, nothing we could’ve done if they all wanted out, especially given Reid and Bryan’s contract situations.

I agree. We have lost our best defender and top scorer ( yet again) and another highly rated player but had no choice. We have also lost our 2nd highest goal scorer and first choice keeper (although temporarily). 

We do look so lightweight Striker wise with what we can select from for another 3 games at least. Weimann has been a pleasent surprise, where would we be without his goals. The lack of a replacement for Djuric has really surprised me, if we don’t loan someone in then have we shot ourselves in the foot. I’m struggling to see where goals will come from throughout the team, are we back to nicking 1-0 wins? If so I hope our defence is up to it?

Archived