IGNORED

Will Flint celebrate if he scores.

barneyrubble

As long as Flint didn't rub it in the fans' faces - which he definitely wouldn't - it is only natural to show emotion after scoring.

No problem with him celebrating a goal with his team mates and this arms down at the side, looking glum business to 'show respect' is nonsense imo.

14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

While he was a City player, he gave everything for us. I thank him for his work here but he is now at an opponent. I don't wish him harm but if he conceded two penalties and an og, I'd be grateful.

I expect him to work his socks off for Boro but as above hope he has an off day.

Of course, almost goes without saying we'd all take that. No one wants Flint to score or have a stormer against us.

The hypothetical 'what if' is a very reasonable subject for discussion though.

58 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

True Bob, a bitter and twisted few who publicly wrote him off early and have never been able to admit how wrong they were.

Embarrassing.

Who wrote him off? His defensive ability has been called into question at times, like everyone else’s (rightly so in light of our ability to defend as a team), but I can’t say I’ve ever known anyone who thinks we weren’t a better team with him in it compared to when he was unavailable?

If you’re referring to when he first signed for the club many years ago then I’m sure your assessment of him at that time was very different to what it is now. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Who wrote him off? His defensive ability has been called into question at times, like everyone else’s (rightly so in light of our ability to defend as a team), but I can’t say I’ve ever known anyone who thinks we weren’t a better team with him in it compared to when he was unavailable?

Quite a few. Do you want a list?

I've argued with all of them on here over the years, and there are still some even now determined to never give Flint any credit whatsoever.

I'd expect him to celebrate and have no problem if he does. The type of player he is based on being ultra-competitive and giving his all to beat the opposition. He wouldn't be half the player he is if that were the case but I expect him to give his all for Boro and celebrate with the fans if he scores. If doesn't leave Ashton Gate having pissed half the stadium off then he'll have had an off day (which'll be great news for us). 

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Quite a few. Do you want a list?

I've argued with all of them on here over the years, and there are still some even now determined to never give Flint any credit whatsoever.

I don’t think that’s true at all. But a couple of people (yourself included) see even the slightest questioning of any aspect of his game as an ‘attack’ or whatever and constantly rubbish anything said about Flint that isn’t glowing praise of the highest order  

It’s perfectly possible to have a very high opinion of a player and what they do well - as I do with Flint - whilst still critically assessing what they don’t do so well. Not everything has to be one extreme or the other. 

It is true - many wrote him off but in fairness he did look poor for quite a while. It wasn't until SC came in that he started to come good.

As for the celebrating - go for it. He won't over celebrate and you really can't blame him for going. 29 and unlikely to go much higher - he might as well maximize his wages and chances of playing in the Prem.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I hope he does celebrate if he scores.

He's a Boro player now and that's where his allegiance should lie; with that club and its fans.

This and if it’s a good goal I’ll probably clap!

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Will we celebrate if he scores an own goal?

Definitely clap this!

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As long as Flint didn't rub it in the fans' faces - which he definitely wouldn't - it is only natural to show emotion after scoring.

No problem with him celebrating a goal with his team mates and this arms down at the side, looking glum business to 'show respect' is nonsense imo.

This I very much agree with. I’d fully expect him to celebrate if he scores, not a fan at all of this modern trend of pretending to be respectful.

Saturday is going to be difficult... It's just a bit too soon for my liking! Players come and players go, but Flint was a key part of a very very special Bristol City team, one that ended a 60 year wait for a league title. It will be tough for me to see him in a Boro shirt but then I've always been the soppy sentimental type!

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

Saturday is going to be difficult... It's just a bit too soon for my liking! Players come and players go, but Flint was a key part of a very very special Bristol City team, one that ended a 60 year wait for a league title. It will be tough for me to see him in a Boro shirt but then I've always been the soppy sentimental type!

I used to think like that but you soon learn that footballers in the main have no emotional attachment to you or your club so why waste the effort the other way? 

Players come, players go. I’ll look back fondly on Flint as a key part of probably the second best time in my generation to be a City fan. I’ll give him a polite clap on Saturday when his name is read out but beyond that he’s just another opposition player once the game starts. 

4 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

He will. If nothing else to impress his new team and fans. Don’t take it personally. 

Exactly.

Particularly if some in the crowd think its normal to boo and give him stick throughout the game.

Running the length of the pitch Adebayor style is something different mind.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He's a Boro player now and that's where his allegiance should lie; with that club and its fans.

I absolutely agree, I hate this new thing about not celebrating against your old team.

He used to play for us and left either because he wanted to or we wanted to sell him. He's now payed by Boro and the fans now sing his name.

I would be very disappointed if one of our players didn't celebrate a goal because it was against their old team.

I also hope he has a crap season because that means Boro won't be as strong as they might and we might finish above them.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

This I very much agree with. I’d fully expect him to celebrate if he scores, not a fan at all of this modern trend of pretending to be respectful.

Couldn't agree more, hate this modern affectation of not celebrating. You're not ******* Gandhi, get involved ffs, and if fans at your old club get the hump it just shows that they need to grow up imo.

Flint still has the smallest head in the northern hemisphere though even if (let's be honest, when haha) he does score.

8 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

I think he won't celebrate but I do think he will score against our powder puff defence 

It’s not just flint you need to worry about from corners or shottons long throws. We are now playing 3 at the back with wing backs. Potentially the back 5 will be friend, shotton, fry, Ayala and flint. With George friend being the smallest at 6ft 2.  Shotton 6ft 3, Ayala and fry 6ft 4 and flint 6ft 5. Mcnair at 6ft 2 may play in midfield. You will be glad to know gestede is our injured for land of the giants 11.

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Flint was more than a player, he was an icon for us so unlike other ex players I think it will be a strange situation for him and us come Saturday.

I don't get this "just another player move on statement", he wasn't.

I would be totally gobsmacked if AF did anything other than a head down, low-key celebration, if he were to score on Saturday.

We know and he knows that he is a BCFC legend after his time here with the promotion season, all the goals, the GIFs, the gaffs even   .

No, no way he would rub our noses in it .....

would he??

16 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He would have already fulfilled that requirement by scoring the goal, playing well, winning the game. (Take your pick)

The best celebration would be a milisecond of pure joy then remembering where you are...

Nothing wrong with celebrating, no crime in it. But  pure mercenaries celebrate, as do players who feel they were wronged by a club. Flint fits neither category.

9 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Only once have i bet on an ex player to score against us ....Wayne Alison for Chesterfield, i put £5 on him scoring a hatrick and he duly obliged as we were beaten 3-0......but tomorrow i am really tempted to bet on Flinty......really tempted...

Very naughty Jackie, very naughty! 

On 15/08/2018 at 16:16, AppyDAZE said:

I would be totally gobsmacked if AF did anything other than a head down, low-key celebration, if he were to score on Saturday.

We know and he knows that he is a BCFC legend after his time here with the promotion season, all the goals, the GIFs, the gaffs even   .

No, no way he would rub our noses in it .....

would he??

No i dont think for one minute he’d rub our noses in it,im sure he loved it here and living in a great vibrant city like Bristol.

He only left for more money and at this stage of his career you cant bame him,he certainly did’nt leave for better quality of life up there,Middlesbrough is a grim town in the middle of nowhere.

26 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Only once have i bet on an ex player to score against us ....Wayne Alison for Chesterfield, i put £5 on him scoring a hatrick and he duly obliged as we were beaten 3-0......but tomorrow i am really tempted to bet on Flinty......really tempted...

I chucked 20 quid on for Flint to score anytime, it just feels nailed on to me considering the injuries we have atm in defence, the big man will run riot and I wouldnt begrudge a celebration from him either, I miss Flint already ?

Archived