IGNORED

Realism or Negativity..?

PFree

Calling out Flint, Reid and Bryan would all depart in the summer following the Carabao Cup exit. Dismissed as negative by the rose-tinted ones.....proved right though in the end...Realism, not negativity. 

Building for the future is also complete bollocks.

Self-sustainability is correct though. That is the be all and end all. Anything else is simply a fabrication to entice you to buy / renew your season tickets.

4 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

I was just going on the signings they made last year, they were hardly world beaters just players who would run through brick walls for Warnock..

I would just love to know what happened to us last season, there’s been no explaination from Lee himself? At the the end of 16/17 season and first half of last season we seemed to have an abundance of energy flowing through our team, that seemed to disappear after Christmas and hasn’t been seen since? 

On big wages / signing on fees.  Madine At £6m was an exception granted.  Players like Hoilett and Pilkington don’t play for free!!

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I guess to me, the problem is not just having a mid-table budget but being able to work effectively with the players we do have. By that I mean coaching/man-management and how to affect games successfully by the use of subs/tactics etc. 

Something I find very interesting is that people are quick to criticise the club for selling players and at the same time quick to criticise the management for not ‘coaching’ players.

Yet people fail to acknowledge that under LJ and his team’s coaching, Flint, Bryan and Reid all improved to the point to be sold, rach for a fee larger than our own transfer record.

You can add in others on that list too like Pack whose playing his best football, Brownhill, Kelly etc, all coming along.

And that all three players wanted to leave.

Outside of Bristol we are not a big club and we don’t don’t have a pedigree. For us fans that may be difficult to accept but is realistic of the situation we find ourselves in. When looking at the 16/17 wages across the prem and champ we rank 36 out of 44 teams. Will be interesting to see the 17/18 numbers.

in terms of budget the Club are trying different things in terms of recruitment but  a lot will depend on coaching to get the best out of these players. I disagree that recruitment has been terrible, not sure what is expected given our resources. There have been failures (Tomlin, Engvall) but also successes (Brownhill, Famara). In terms of the home grown talent we will cash in, that’s not being negative but realistic in terms of the club we are now and how the club moves forward.

May be I’m being negative but mid table would be a good return given our financial constraints and also the opposition we are facing in a very tough league. Keep the faith.

29 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

You argument doesn’t include clubs like Preston, Brentford and even Cardiff who were on a restricted budget last year.. we really do need to stop making excuses for how shit we are..

Sure it does. I never said we were the only club operating on a tight budget.

Brentford and Preston are two well run clubs with good management and excellent recruitment plans. They also finished in about the same position as us last season.

Cardiff are a Warnock team. He’s brilliant at getting teams out of this league. Everybody knows that. Even so he exceeded expectations with Cardiff. The expectation now is that they’ll stink out the Premier League for 10 months and then come crashing back down.

With getting toward 60 years of all this it is something of a disappointment that so many are negativity about the season. 

We were going gang busters until the New Year, had the worst window that could possibly imagined and blew it. That window and our consequent failure to even look like a football team cost us our three best players plus Magnússon and Djuric (who were both mediocre, injured or both) who could not get out fast enough.

We have a new goalkeeper who has not kicked a first team football in years and two new players who are injured already. Weimann looks class is the upside.

Some of the above is at the feet of LJ MA the recruitment policy some is luck....LJ needs to get lucky fast. My old boss used to say the more you know the luckier you get, hopefully LJ is learning at an accelerated rate.

6 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Sure it does. I never said we were the only club operating on a tight budget.

Brentford and Preston are two well run clubs with good management and excellent recruitment plans. They also finished in about the same position as us last season.

Cardiff are a Warnock team. He’s brilliant at getting teams out of this league. Everybody knows that. Even so he exceeded expectations with Cardiff. The expectation now is that they’ll stink out the Premier League for 10 months and then come crashing back down.

They actually both finished above us but failed to make the play-offs narrowly - we didn't.

Regarding Cardiff, I agree that it is highly likely that they will be back in the Championship next season..........but they will have +£100m in the bank from TV money alone, never mind the fact they expect all home games to be a 30k sellout.

Self sustainability anyone?!

Right there is the way to do it. However, to achieve that you need to have ambition, a lack of fear and commitment, all the way through the club

#toocosy

13 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

They actually both finished above us but failed to make the play-offs narrowly - we didn't.

Regarding Cardiff, I agree that it is highly likely that they will be back in the Championship next season..........but they will have +£100m in the bank from TV money alone, never mind the fact they expect all home games to be a 30k sellout.

Self sustainability anyone?!

Right there is the way to do it. However, to achieve that you need to have ambition, a lack of fear and commitment, all the way through the club

#toocosy

Spot on,

Forest have also made changes and brought in players bit like us; difference is they are going for it and will finish above us this season. They must be one of the favs for top six and that's after finishing 6 places below us last season.

The little to no risk plan will get us no-where......slowly

Reality suggests a model based upon a locally born owner with no foreign/additional investment or parachute payments running a self-sustaining financially prudent, profit-making club with a stream of home-grown academy products and lower league talent filling first team places vacated by departing star players sold at a good profit to rival clubs delivering a year on year improvement in league position and eventual promotion from one of the most competitive, dog-eat-dog divisions to the richest one in world football is about 5 or 6 years too late/now out of date and more unlikely than ever before.

It might well have worked a few years ago. It did for other clubs, Burnley for example. But this "philosophy" was dreamed up at least five years ago and the Championship is not what it was when we were promoted into it, let alone when we were last relegated from it. It has moved on, the "ante" has been upped considerably.

It feels as though we are running just to stand still, and that too much is being asked of Lee Johnson.

12 minutes ago, harrys said:

I am ready and prepared for mid table mediocrity at best due to another poor transfer window, we are asking for big trouble if we don’t get another decent striker in the loan window

2nd and 15th Sept home v Blackburn and Sheff U will be crucial I believe, and our best chances for wins; a win and a draw at least is needed, maybe even back to back wins; anything less wont be great with Wigan, Wba and Villa to follow.

We will either kick on or drop us further away depending on those 2 games

59 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Outside of Bristol we are not a big club and we don’t don’t have a pedigree. For us fans that may be difficult to accept but is realistic of the situation we find ourselves in. When looking at the 16/17 wages across the prem and champ we rank 36 out of 44 teams. Will be interesting to see the 17/18 numbers.

in terms of budget the Club are trying different things in terms of recruitment but  a lot will depend on coaching to get the best out of these players. I disagree that recruitment has been terrible, not sure what is expected given our resources. There have been failures (Tomlin, Engvall) but also successes (Brownhill, Famara). In terms of the home grown talent we will cash in, that’s not being negative but realistic in terms of the club we are now and how the club moves forward.

May be I’m being negative but mid table would be a good return given our financial constraints and also the opposition we are facing in a very tough league. Keep the faith.

What pedigree did Bourmouth have then ffs.. this is another excuse!

4 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Bloody hell already?

Give it a rest.

New season, no right to finish anywhere in this league, creating lots and generally on the cusp.

So obvs were doomed.

Nowt worse than negativity dressed up in pseudo babble.

It's no wonder I hardly post anymore it's a horribly one sided place at present that cannot see the good in anything and still goes on about massive spends and how we deserve this and that.

Simply put we have to earn it. 

Today's award for rose tinted specs goes to.... 

If you REALLY can't see what is/has gone wrong you need to login more often and listen to everyone's opinions 

1 hour ago, Beni71 said:

We'll be very fortunate to be mid table. Prepare for a very bumpy ride. 

1 hour ago, Beni71 said:

Too sensible by half. You'll never be an OTIB superstar.

43 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

2nd and 15th Sept home v Blackburn and Sheff U

It's been some while since we beat Sheffield United at home - even in our title season we struggled. I admire your optimism.

3 hours ago, MATT BCFC said:

On top of that we have played Forrest who have just spent a lot and Bolton away which isn't easy. Wouldn't read too much into the cup loss think it may be a blessing in disguise if I am honest.

Forest may have spent a lot, but they have also quickly integrated new players which we don't / haven't.

Also Bolton away doesn't strike fear into top half teams either this season or last. Any away games are almost impossible to win with the current strategy - see other posts. We must tackle this as we cannot survive on home wins and draws alone.

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

It's been some while since we beat Sheffield United at home - even in our title season we struggled. I admire your optimism.

Forest may have spent a lot, but they have also quickly integrated new players which we don't / haven't.

Also Bolton away doesn't strike fear into top half teams either this season or last. Any away games are almost impossible to win with the current strategy - see other posts. We must tackle this as we cannot survive on home wins and draws alone.

Will be a tough 2 games but at home and our best chance of home wins in first 10games imo. Def not optimism though more like last chance saloon games. I think went for 9pts in first 10 games......we will see.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Reality suggests a model based upon a locally born owner with no foreign/additional investment or parachute payments running a self-sustaining financially prudent, profit-making club with a stream of home-grown academy products and lower league talent filling first team places vacated by departing star players sold at a good profit to rival clubs delivering a year on year improvement in league position and eventual promotion from one of the most competitive, dog-eat-dog divisions to the richest one in world football is about 5 or 6 years too late/now out of date and more unlikely than ever before.

It might well have worked a few years ago. It did for other clubs, Burnley for example. But this "philosophy" was dreamed up at least five years ago and the Championship is not what it was when we were promoted into it, let alone when we were last relegated from it. It has moved on, the "ante" has been upped considerably.

It feels as though we are running just to stand still, and that too much is being asked of Lee Johnson.

Agree entirely.

The current model will never see us promoted unless a complete set of freak circumstances combine - which is hugely unlikely.

There needs to be some frankness from the club on this - promotion is as far away as ever under this model.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Bloody hell already?

Give it a rest.

New season, no right to finish anywhere in this league, creating lots and generally on the cusp.

So obvs were doomed.

Nowt worse than negativity dressed up in pseudo babble.

It's no wonder I hardly post anymore it's a horribly one sided place at present that cannot see the good in anything and still goes on about massive spends and how we deserve this and that.

Simply put we have to earn it. 

I think the whole point of this, is that fans have noticed that we’re not trying to earn it? That’s the frustrating thing. 

The funds are there for us. Looks as though we’ve strengthened our squad but not our starting eleven. Sheff Utd have signed Oliver Norwood on loan with a possible permanent transfer, he would have been a perfect fit to our midfield. We don’t have depth in there apart from the obvious three.

I’m just a little disappointed and it seems you’re happy, as always with low expectations. 

9 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agree entirely.

The current model will never see us promoted unless a complete set of freak circumstances combine - which is hugely unlikely.

There needs to be some frankness from the club on this - promotion is as far away as ever under this model.

Cobblers Huddersfield did it 18 months ago, and so did Brighton, you just need a plan and stick to it. 

23 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Miserable bastards IMHO,  3 competitive games so far and people are writing the squad, manager and owner off, 10 games at least probably 15 before you start judging the squad you fickle shisters :).

4 wins in 27 means nothing to you? Fair enough we’ve had a big window inbetween but the form seems to have continued from last season ?

20 minutes ago, Sturny said:

4 wins in 27 means nothing to you? Fair enough we’ve had a big window inbetween but the form seems to have continued from last season ?

That's a pointless stat, you and others who use it are conflating last season with this, it's utter garbage and means nothing.  What means anything is how the new players gel and how we perform when Fam gets back.  Here's another pointless stat weimen will score 40 league goals on current form.

3 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

That's a pointless stat, you and others who use it are conflating last season with this, it's utter garbage and means nothing.  What means anything is how the new players gel and how we perform when Fam gets back.  Here's another pointless stat weimen will score 40 league goals on current form.

763B18E4-0858-4109-9616-6ABB1AFD639E.jpeg

Think you scored atleast 2 on there pal 

Archived