IGNORED

Steve Lansdown

Miah Dennehy

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No disrespect but more skill in rugby than football ? you carry a oval ball under your arm . You pass it with your hands . How can it possibly be more skill full than football . Absolute rubbish I’m afraid. It’s basically playing British bulldog with a egg under your arm . 

Bit like saying you kick a football forward and chase after it, there’s so much more to rugby than that but you obviously don’t take any interest in it so I won’t bother explaining...

• Admin
1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I would say the 33rd most influential person in the world (even if it is an arbitrary list by a magazine) is pretty high up! Rugby Union may not have the universal popularity that football has, but its still a pretty major industry.

Top leagues in England, Australisia , provincial sides in South Africa but not many anywhere else with any real financial clout 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Bit like saying you kick a football forward and chase after it, there’s so much more to rugby than that but you obviously don’t take any interest in it so I won’t bother explaining...

That’s not the case though is it . A basic dribble in football alone means running and beating someone with ball at your feet without even looking at it , you know where it is by touch and instinct. That’s one tiny part of the skill set needed. If you went on a similar run in rugby you smash past people maybe a drop of the shoulder but you’re carrying the ball. It’s a million miles apart from the skills of a footballer. What ever you do in rugby it’s with ball (a balls round by definition ) in your hands or chucking it to someone who catches it. 

As ive said very tough sport no doubt but skill full , no chance. 

He has made it clear before he wants to follow the  Barcelona model in Bristol, where the "sporting club" owns all of the pofessional sport in the City, such as football, rugby, basketball plus others. So the whole lot are of interest to him

But not the gas, obviously  

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

That’s not the case though is it . A basic dribble in football alone means running and beating someone with ball at your feet without even looking at it , you know where it is by touch and instinct. That’s one tiny part of the skill set needed. If you went on a similar run in rugby you smash past people maybe a drop of the shoulder but you’re carrying the ball. It’s a million miles apart from the skills of a footballer. What ever you do in rugby it’s with ball (a balls round by definition ) in your hands or chucking it to someone who catches it. 

As ive said very tough sport no doubt but skill full , no chance. 

Firstly, if you run into someone whilst playing rugby, the likelihood is you will get tackled back, therefore players need to use quick feet and sidestep their way past n opponent, at pace with only a few metres between you and your  is an incredibly difficult skill, especially if you are running towards a 6 ft 4, 18 stone giant. Carrying the ball in one arm, without dropping it is also a difficult skill when running at speed. 

Secondly, you don’t ‘chuck’ the ball, unlike football where you can play a flat pass anywhere across the pitch, in rugby you have to pass backwards, using an immense amount of spin to make sure the ball doesn’t get intercepted, or you can kick the ball looking for territory, which basically means running at speed towards an opponent and then in a matter of seconds dropping the ball onto your foot and finding a tactical place to put it without giving the opposition an easy run back at you, again an incredibly difficult skill that only an elite group of players can master. 

Even that brief moment, of receiving the ball, then either taking it into contact, or passing/kicking it, is highly skilful, much more skilful than receiving a football and playing a pass

15 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Everybody knows that it’s the fat kids at school that are rubbish at football that play rugby

1 minute ago, harrys said:

Everybody knows that it’s the fat kids at school that are rubbish at football that play rugby

May have been the case 30 years ago, but now even the best footballers play rugby. A 9/10 has to be a quality footballer as well as a good rugby player

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I see he has been rated as the 33rd must influential person in world rugby by Rugby World. Do any of you worry that you may have become a secondary interest to him? Genuine question and not on a wind up, FWIW I think he has enough cash to fund you both so IF rugby is his primary interest it shouldn't worry you too much.

You’re a little tinker Miah trying to get a rise out of us, if only I was allowed onto your forum for a little bit of winding up

I see he has been rated as the 33rd must influential person in world rugby by Rugby World. Do any of you worry that you may have become a secondary interest to him? Genuine question and not on a wind up, FWIW I think he has enough cash to fund you both so IF rugby is his primary interest it shouldn't worry you too much.

No because football will always be where the money is 

He is a business man. To see any sort of return on his investments football will always be the priority 

43 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

There’s lots of skill to playing rugby, nowadays being big and tough doesn’t make you a good rugby player at all, in fact I’d argue there’s more skill to playing rugby than football. 

Rugby is currently the second sport in this country after football (excluding fishing...)

FFS........don't tell SL that !  :cool:

Would love him to invest in British American Football.

Our very own Bristol Aztecs could easily be top English club with a bit of investment.

SL a went to Camp Nou when in Barcelona and expected to find a professional football club. What he  found was an organisation that supported a host of local sport organisations not related to football. His vision is to recreate that, on a smaller scale, in Bristol, hence Bristol Sport. A man with a vision! Great for Bristol City and Bristol in general 

13 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'm sure that counts for hundreds of rugby players then? Because you probably know 2-3 people who have played/ play rugby, doesn't mean every rugby player is exactly the same

No mate, i’ve known hundreds over the years, I drink regularly in a South Bristol rugby club, they take great pride in their thuggish behaviour 

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

No mate, i’ve known hundreds over the years, I drink regularly in a South Bristol rugby club, they take great pride in their thuggish behaviour 

So if you take no interest in rugby, and see all rugby players as thugs, why do you drink at a rugby club?

Archived