IGNORED

Managing Expectations

Clutton Caveman

I think it is clear now that our owner and board have set a budget and strategy aimed at maintaining or slightly improving our results from last year.

This is fine and perhaps prudent however I am sure this policy was also in place when season tickets went on sell and therefore should have been published so that fans could make their purchasing decisions accordingly.

This would be the honest approach and would create trust with the supporters.

This was not done and in fact the messages given to the press at that gave no indication of the limitation on ambition for the next season.

I am confused how our owner and the board say they hope to improve on our performance last year when we have sold our best players and brought less expensive and less able replacements.

If you compare the reserve side we put out against Plymouth last year to that of Tuesday night we can hardly be seen as moving forward or even staying still.

One last point. Were the players also informed about our transfer policy for 2019 season?

I think for our better players this apparent steady as we go policy is hardly motivating. People like Baker must look at his mate Flint and wish he had also pushed for a move to a club with ambition.

If City had stated their policy when season tickets were put on sale I would still have purchased mine, but I would not have the feeling of somehow being mislead.

I think it was pretty obvious that some of our stars from last season were going to be sold so don't think the club was taking anybody in. Also SL has consistently said he wants the club to be run on a sustainable basis which means we have to make a profit on transfers to subsidise the cost of wages, we weren't ever going to sign a £10m pound player. I don't see any reason to give up on this season already, other clubs have done well without spending a lot in the past and once Diedhiou is back we'll have a dangerous forward line again, I'm a ST holder and don't feel I've been conned in any way - the club has just followed it's stated strategy.

Lansdown did say that changes would be made in the summer, that some people wouldn’t like. 

Anyone not expecting Reid & Bryan to be sold, if they didn’t sign new contracts, is an idiot and it was obvious that Flint would be off as soon as someone met our valuation. 

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Lansdown did say that changes would be made in the summer, that some people wouldn’t like. 

Anyone not expecting Reid & Bryan to be sold, if they didn’t sign new contracts, is an idiot and it was obvious that Flint would be off as soon as someone met our valuation. 

Absolutely  no surprise with any of them.

The issue is what we have, or have not done, with the proceeds from all of the outgoings.

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

The issue is what we have, or have not done, with the proceeds from all of the outgoings.

...and what happens next year in ST and general attendances. 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

the same was said for the last 3 seasons, each time season tickets and attendances have improved 

Isn’t that the new stadium effect? 3 seasons ago we had a capacity of 13000? So of course it’s improved.

33 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think it is clear now that our owner and board have set a budget and strategy aimed at maintaining or slightly improving our results from last year.

This is fine and perhaps prudent however I am sure this policy was also in place when season tickets went on sell and therefore should have been published so that fans could make their purchasing decisions accordingly.

This was not done and in fact the messages given to the press at that gave no indication of the limitation on ambition for the next season.

I am confused how our owner and the board say they hope to improve on our performance last year when we have sold our best players and brought less expensive and less able replacements.

If you compare the reserve side we put out against Plymouth last year to that of Tuesday night we can hardly be seen as moving forward or even staying still.

One last point. Were the players also informed about our transfer policy for 2019 season?

I think for our better players this apparent steady as we go policy is hardly motivating. People like Baker must look at his mate Flint and wish he had also pushed for a move to a club with ambition.

If City had stated their policy when season tickets were put on sale I would still have purchased mine, but I would not have the feeling of somehow being mislead.

First of all , did anyone really think before buying their season card that SL would suddenly change tack and bring in excessively high earning ' marquee ' signings ?

Secondly , we can't say that they are less able as we haven't seen what they can do over a season. I suspect that most will grow in stature and competence whilst one or two will inevitably fall short .

Thirdly if Baker wants a big money move then he better start impressing with his performances, something which he hasn't done enough of since he signed on a permanent deal.

Last point , players know BCFC are not a big club with a fantastic history of winning things or troubling the top division but equally the club offers other possibilities to further their careers, see Bryan, Reid, Flint , Kodjia, Adomah etc .

All in all welcome to OTIB .

I’m sorry OP - but that post is utter drivel.

Do you support your local team through thick or thin, or only when they’re having success?

Supporting a team is not conditional to success and getting a season ticket doesn’t give you any guarantees. Buying a season ticket is an investment in the club too, it’s a two way street. 

Of course the club’s ultimate aim is to get promoted, but no where have they said they’ll guarantee achieving that this season? So where is the misleading of fans?

The hardcore fans will come back year after year. The ‘extras’ will come and go, always have, always will. We’ve seen we can pull out 40k to go to Wembley.

If you only buy your season ticket, at any football club, because you think your team are getting promoted, or in the play offs, then more than likely you’ll end up disappointed.

22 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We don't really know yet. Weimann may score more goals this year than Reid did last season.

We may keep more clean sheets with Webster in the team than we did with Flint (no sniggering at the back).

Still early days as far as the players are concerned. I'm  more concerned that LJ  could be embarking on another winless run that we find difficult to get out of. Need a win quick smart.

52 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I’ve not seen any shocks since I purchased my ST.  The club’s policy / 5 pillars hasnt really changed, implementation under different managers might be different, but SL wants the club to be self-sustainable.

It appears that 17/18’s P&L might report a loss of £18.4m....yep £18.4m.  SL said we are now paying wages in the top half of the division (might be BS, but £18.4m loss says otherwise).

It means at times we are going to have to maximise our profits on players.  The lose-lose on this is that not all of the money earned on transfer fees will be paid out in transfer fees on new players.  Ignore the term “net spend” it’s pretty irrelevant these days.  @Mr Popodopolous Will educate you on the fineries of Amortisation over a contact length if you like.  That is the new (more relevant) term.

What is misleading imho is SL expecting higher league positions each season....i’m Not a huge LJ fan, but he is working to a budget probably in the region of 12th-16th in this league.

17 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’m sorry OP - but that post is utter drivel.

Do you support your local team through thick or thin, or only when they’re having success?

Supporting a team is not conditional to success and getting a season ticket doesn’t give you any guarantees. Buying a season ticket is an investment in the club too, it’s a two way street. 

Of course the club’s ultimate aim is to get promoted, but no where have they said they’ll guarantee achieving that this season? So where is the misleading of fans?

The hardcore fans will come back year after year. The ‘extras’ will come and go, always have, always will. We’ve seen we can pull out 40k to go to Wembley.

If you only buy your season ticket, at any football club, because you think your team are getting promoted, or in the play offs, then more than likely you’ll end up disappointed.

The OP will fit in on here perfectly.

33 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think our signings have been decent, although we could certainly still do with 3 more. 

Webster is a completely different replacement for Flint; he'll prove to be far less of a goal threat but conversely will I feel defend our goal as competently, though in a different style. I agree with @Major Isewater, if Baker wants a big money move to a bigger club he'd better step up and earn it because he hasn't started the season particularly well imo.

Too early to say but Weimann looks to be a near as damnit a straight replacement for Reid. Whether he can sustain his early season goal scoring will be interesting to see but I'm optimistic that he can.

Kelly was always going to be the replacement for Bryan; DaSilva has been added to the ranks to provide additional cover.

I don't feel that the club has failed to replace our outgoing players; I think they've done well to deal with transfers out which we all knew were going to happen.

I've been a season ticket holder for 42 years continuously. I've renewed through thin and thinner and will continue to do so until the day I die or I can no longer remember who I support. I've been given duff gen by a lot of Chairmen, owners and managers over time but I don't feel that's happened this season.

That the expectations of the OP (welcome to OTIB, by the way) have not been met appears to me to be because you've set for yourself the wrong expectations.

I think some realism is needed; the club have a clear strategy of buying players/developing academy players and selling them at a profit. We were never going to reinvest the whole 22 million from player sales. Instead we have bought sensibly players who are established and will consolidate our position. Like it or not that's progress from last time we were up and went shit or bust. I'd rather this strategy of building slowly and being competitive. Rome wasn't built in a day!!

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Webster is a completely different replacement for Flint; he'll prove to be far less of a goal threat but conversely will I feel defend our goal as competently, though in a different style. I agree with @Major Isewater, if Baker wants a big money move to a bigger club he'd better step up and earn it because he hasn't started the season particularly well imo.

Too early to say but Weimann looks to be a near as damnit straight replacement for Reid. Whether he can sustain his early season goal scoring will be interesting to see but I'm optimistic that he can.

Kelly was always going to be the replacement for Bryan; DaSilva has been added to the ranks to provide additional cover.

I don't feel that the club has failed to replace our outgoing players; I think they've done well to deal with transfers out which we all knew were going to happen.

I've been a season ticket holder for 42 years continuously. I've renewed through thin and thinner and will continue to do so until the day I die or I can no longer remember who I support. I've been given duff gen by a lot of Chairmen, owners and managers over time but I don't feel that's happened this season.

That the expectations of the OP (welcome to OTIB, by the way) have not been met appears to me to be because you've set for yourself the wrong expectations.

Great post RH and agree with the vast majority of it. Only thing that slightly disagree with is in bold. It’s SL and LJ that have driven that expectation imo with the comments about getting to the PL sooner rather than later, I’m not getting any younger, European football in 5 years etc etc. Whilst the realists amongst us can see that it’s still going to be a struggle to do, if it is the stated aim of the owner and the manager to be at the top and gunning for promotion then that will be the expectation of some.  Especially given our fantastic half a season last year when we were all over the media and it was though it was going to be a fait accompli that we were going up. 

Johnson was saying as early as January that it would be a difficult summer.

We've sold our 3 best player's, but life goes on.

I'd be happy to flirt with the play off's this year. If we get any luck, great. If not, there's always next season.

At least we're not Bristol Rovers.

Thanks LenRed. Its comments like you raise from our owner and coach that I referred to. I buy my ST and 2 for my kids each year and will always do so. This is not the question. I just feel that we need a consistent message so that we can define in terms of our target if we are winning or not. I am sorry to say that I have seen nothing so far that gives me that warm mid table security feeling. We have some talent that is for sure and LJ and his team must now get into their heads and get them back to previous form. I am thinking about Baker, COD, Patto. 

4 hours ago, lenred said:

Great post RH and agree with the vast majority of it. Only thing that slightly disagree with is in bold. It’s SL and LJ that have driven that expectation imo with the comments about getting to the PL sooner rather than later, I’m not getting any younger, European football in 5 years etc etc. Whilst the realists amongst us can see that it’s still going to be a struggle to do, if it is the stated aim of the owner and the manager to be at the top and gunning for promotion then that will be the expectation of some.  Especially given our fantastic half a season last year when we were all over the media and it was though it was going to be a fait accompli that we were going up. 

Premier League Club In waiting’

4 hours ago, Cider red said:

I think some realism is needed; the club have a clear strategy of buying players/developing academy players and selling them at a profit. We were never going to reinvest the whole 22 million from player sales. Instead we have bought sensibly players who are established and will consolidate our position. Like it or not that's progress from last time we were up and went shit or bust. I'd rather this strategy of building slowly and being competitive. Rome wasn't built in a day!!

Or even in 15 years it would appear

Archived