IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Time To Go

Londoner

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Why is it? He’s lost his 3 most important players, we done ok against Forest and played some lovely football against Bolton,  the players switched off for the goals v Bolton so hardly LJ fault.

If any of you think SL is suddenly going to change his vision for this club just because a few on here don’t want LJ the your sadly mistaken!!

How did your last protest go when you did not want LJ last time out? A bit embarrassing wasn’t it if memory serves me right!! 

Exactly - when you've had the unusual churn of key players that we've had you need to allow for that. You have to give the team time to become cohesive.

The judging of a manager over a longer extended period is only really applicable to big Prem clubs like United, City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc where there's generally less upheaval and the managers can end up staying a long time (Wenger, Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola etc).

For smaller clubs, there's usually less continuity and stability as well as more upheaval as we've just seen this summer - obviously this should be factored in.

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Why is it? He’s lost his 3 most important players, we done ok against Forest and played some lovely football against Bolton,  the players switched off for the goals v Bolton so hardly LJ fault.

If any of you think SL is suddenly going to change his vision for this club just because a few on here don’t want LJ the your sadly mistaken!!

How did your last protest go when you did not want LJ last time out? A bit embarrassing wasn’t it if memory serves me right!! 

Think you maybe confusing me with someone else, no protest from me. 

I don't necessarily blame LJ but why did we lose our 3 most important players?

10 minutes ago, RumRed said:

So judge him on the last 10 -15 games, this idea of resetting the clock at the beginning of a new season is ridiculous.

Last season was last season & overall it was very satisfactory, although of course the 2nd half was a serious drop off. 

This season is a new one, with new players. 

3 minutes ago, RumRed said:

because they wanted to leave 2 were out of contract and they pretty much downed tools after xmas (according to some)

we would of lost those 3 regardless of who the manager was

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Because they weren't signing new contracts and were down to their last year (Reid and Bryan) and got an offer that was one of the highest for a CB in the Championship for Flint.

What is wrong with people on here at the moment!? So negative. I was annoyed at the end oflast season as much as the next fan. This is clearly a transitional season. Let's wipe the slate clean and give him 10 games. All this however many wins in so many games/months talk is irrelevant as they were from last season with a different set of players. Genuinely we have looked decent in bits of the two games I have seen (Bolton, Forest). 

All I will say to the poster is be careful what you wish for; we were stable in the championship after Johnson senior; look what happened when we sacked him. To call for Juniors head now is short sighted imo. Who would we replace him with for starters?

I have nothing against LJ and would love to see him succeed at City. From evidence of first couple of matches he hasn’t addressed the failings of last season - weak spine of the team, lack of leaders, brittle confidence. 

Maybe having Fammy back will make a difference and we’ll be on an upwards trajectory after ten games. If not then surely his time is up. I would love to see where Mick McCarthy could take a club like ours, I think he’d have us in the Premier League within two seasons. 

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

As I said on a previous post, what happens next summer when premiership clubs or wealthy championship clubs come calling for Webster, Pack and Brownhill?, do we reset the clock again? and then season after that and so on and so forth?

The highlighted portion is just excuses and the evidence of the past 28 games (especially given all 3 important players were still here) is not good reading.

Do I think he should be gone now?, no I don't, do I believe that either results improve or his position become untenable?, yes I do.

However the most important part of your post is the 2nd paragraph and there we agree, let's hope things improve, I am not holding my breath.

Fair play @Londoner I'm with you on this one.

Let's get the entire season's psycho-dramas out the way on OTIB in the first two weeks, then we can all spend the rest of the season thinking up stupid puns and discussing next season's kit. @Never to the dark side is also booking a plane to Middlesbrough so we've got more than enough to keep us occupied.

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

but under johnson we've had a season on season improvement, same can't be said about smith,

if your going to replace him its got to be with someone better not just some one who is exactly the same as you already have 

My big concern is that the current investment in the side seems to be being wasted on players that either aren't stepping up to the mark or we are gambling that one day they will.

I wonder if SL had backed Cotts as much as he has with LJ where we would be now

I don't blame LJ solely for the mess we are in, there are many others than need to be in the equation, but agree it is maybe a bit soon to be panicking this season

It would be harsh to want him out after 2 games, but you can't wipe the slate clean once a new season starts I agree. What people seem to forget amidst all this hate however is that before this horrid run, he managed to get us up to 2nd and stay around there in an extremely tough league! I think everyone can agree that at the start of the season, no-one expected us to be up there, let alone fighting there for as long as we did.

That being said, the form since Man Utd has been relegation worthy, and it can't and shouldn't be ignored.

LJ has some new toys to play with this season and I think he should be given the chance to show what he can do with these. Come Nov/Dec, if we are hanging around the depths of the table and looking to be in serious trouble then changes will have to be made.

You never know, when Famara is back it could be a different story. Adelakun and Eliasson could do wonders for us. Kelly could replicate Bryan's early season form and we could all look back and wonder what we were so worried about! But that's enough optimism for now.

Personally, I can't see him doing it and I can see us getting an absolute hiding on Saturday. 

• Admin
18 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I 100% believe he does. But what’s going to give you more information about a specific target? Watching him for 1 game? Or having a comprehensive report from a team of scouts? 

I firmly feel our scouting team needs replacing and that half of LJs recruits have come from recommendations that he has trusted them with and have been poor recruits.

But we know he hasn't !

1 minute ago, phantom said:

My big concern is that the current investment in the side seems to be being wasted on players that either aren't stepping up to the mark or we are gambling that one day they will.

I wonder if SL had backed Cotts as much as he has with LJ where we would be now

I don't blame LJ solely for the mess we are in, there are many others than need to be in the equation, but agree it is maybe a bit soon to be panicking this season

fully agree with that, for every good player he signs he seems to sign 3 bad ones,

Kelly will step up to the mark and weinman looks good, webster looks decent but its still early days 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

we were still in the play-offs in march and still in the hunt in april

How did that turn out? Guess they may have seen the slip coming. If we stayed in the playoffs and had a tango getting up there, holding onto those players might've been slightly easier. Speculation of course. 

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

How did that turn out? Guess they may have seen the slip coming. If we stayed in the playoffs and had a tango getting up there, holding onto those players might've been slightly easier. Speculation of course. 

well they were better placed then any of us (johnson included to stop it from happening, the 5-5 draw with hull was some of the worst defending I'd ever witnessed at ashton gate

with 2 of the 3 players who left being some of the main culprits in that draw

11 minutes ago, Londoner said:

3 wins in 20 odd games ain't satisfactory 

Which why we have bought new players in!! 

Unfortunately for us everyone else in the EFL and Prem does the same which is why we’ve sold our best players. 

Opposition has changed, not only entire teams but individually and hopefully, like us all in our own jobs, LJ has learnt new skills / tactics, so it’s not comparable to last season in many ways.

A new season with your chosen new squad is what everyone gets so the slate should be wiped clean. 

25 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I 100% believe he does. But what’s going to give you more information about a specific target? Watching him for 1 game? Or having a comprehensive report from a team of scouts? 

I firmly feel our scouting team needs replacing and that half of LJs recruits have come from recommendations that he has trusted them with and have been poor recruits.

Who are the scouts and who recruited them ? I have no idea so thats a genuine question, but LJ is highly influential at the club so if he was being let down by others he would have named and shamed them by now.

If LJ trusts scouts who need replacing then he us as culpable as they are.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

well they were better placed then any of us (johnson included to stop it from happening, the 5-5 draw with hull was some of the worst defending I'd ever witnessed at ashton gate

with 2 of the 3 players who left being some of the main culprits in that draw

So you're thinking their heads were turned 2/3 through the season? 

Archived