IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Time To Go

Londoner

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’d say that we look week aerially defensively. We did even when we had Flint..!

I’m not sure which strikers are going to weigh in with goals, apart from Wiemann & Fammy. 

I’m not saying we don’t need a top level midfielder, but I don’t think it’s priority above the front & back lines. 

Look back at the Forest game and the first hour of the Bolton game, we created little or nothing in the way of good chances, because of two reasons, our build up was slow and predictable and because we have nobody in our numbers who can unlock defences in and around the opponents box and that is and will be our problem, allied with the fact that the longer into a game we are trying to score or chasing the game that is when we lose our midfield shape, organisation and discipline and ship late goals.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Look back at the Forest game and the first hour of the Bolton game, we created little or nothing in the way of good chances, because of two reasons, our build up was slow and predictable and because we have nobody in our numbers who can unlock defences in and around the opponents box and that is and will be our problem, allied with the fact that the longer into a game we are trying to score or chasing the game that is when we lose our midfield shape, organisation and discipline and ship late goals.

Didn’t our central midfielder unlock their defence..? 

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

no we need a midfielder above all else and have needed that midfielder since wade elliot hung up his boots,

we've never had a problem scoring goals and our defensive issues stem from a weak midfield not helping out or tracking back 

Yeh, some hard b*stard with an engine and skill who will frighten the nuts off the opposition. At the moment we are too soft in that midfield area.

2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Yeh, some hard b*stard with an engine and skill who will frighten the nuts off the opposition. At the moment we are too soft in that midfield area.

barry bannon,

we should of gone all out for him or ollie norwood who was available for 2 million,

32 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Making himself more expensive would've made that less likely no? 

NO.

A player in the situation Flint was in signs a new contract because it pays him more money AND if a club comes in for him his agent is starting wage negotiations from a higher point. It also gives the player security IF NO CLUB comes in for him.

From the clubs viewpoint a player signing a new longer term contract protects their value in the player.

It is a win / win.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

only because you've lost the debate with youre well reasoned answer,

go on tell us how smith is an improvement on johnson? is it because he can keep his best players? oh wait brentford sell key players every year

is it because brentford always challenge for promotion.... oh wait they've never finished higher then 9th under him 

is it because he's improved their league position every season, oh wait he hasn't 

if you don''t want to debate just don't bother trolling the forum with your unintelligent narrow minded bullshit 

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

1. Finishes higher in the table with smaller transfer and wage budget.

2. Overachieved every season buying nobodies and turning them into assets

3. Irrelevant still does better than they should

As for selling your key players statement that just highlights just how little you understand. 

Methinks @Londoner is Dean Smith :noexp:

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Dean Smith and shoestring budget made me laugh. They’re comparable to us in wages and fees. 

As for the wildly successful Smith, he has averaged 0.05 points per game more at Brentford than Johnson has here. 

Over 46 games that’s a whole......2 points. 

Talking guff as per usual. 

For now i'd just take the attractive football they play as a start

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Didn’t our central midfielder unlock their defence..? 

If you mean Bolton, yes but we were 2-0 down and suddenly realised that playing at our slow pace and producing absolutely not one worthwhile chance during that time that we had to up the tempo and play at pace and guess what? we looked much better and we created chances.

Either we change our style or wait until we go 2-0 down before changing our style. it's up to LJ I suppose.

The final hour of the Forest game we did not create a worthwhile chance, for the first hour against Bolton we did not create a worthwhile chance.

Yes I saw that. 

But I was under the impression that LJ wasn’t up to changing a game at this level..?! 

I've always maintained that Johnson is a very good coach that improves players, thats never been a doubt for me,

But for me he isn't a leader of men, thats his failing 

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Dean Smith and shoestring budget made me laugh. They’re comparable to us in wages and fees. 

As for the wildly successful Smith, he has averaged 0.05 points per game more at Brentford than Johnson has here. 

Over 46 games that’s a whole......2 points. 

Talking guff as per usual. 

And we haven't beaten them for 9 years.

4 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

For now i'd just take the attractive football they play as a start

We’ve played some utterly superb football at times under Johnson, as Brentford have under Smith. We’ve also played some horrendous stuff. 

The difference is you see Brentford occasionally and you see City week in week out. This makes you think that Brentford constantly play like Barcelona. 

As the managerial stats of the two show - they are almost identical in terms of results, so it’s always made me laugh when people talk about replacing LJ with DS. 

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

If you mean Bolton, yes but we were 2-0 down and suddenly realised that playing at our slow pace and producing absolutely not one worthwhile chance during that time that we had to up the tempo and play at pace and guess what? we looked much better and we created chances.

Either we change our style or wait until we go 2-0 down before changing our style. it's up to LJ I suppose.

The final hour of the Forest game we did not create a worthwhile chance, for the first hour against Bolton we did not create a worthwhile chance.

Weren’t we 2-0 down because we need to be better defensively..?

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And we haven't beaten them for 9 years.

What’s that got to do with the direct comparison between Smith and Johnson as managers? Absolutely nothing to be honest. Last I checked a season of football involves playing every team twice not just one! On that logic Johnson is a better manager than Mourinho and we’re clearly better than Boro as we’ve beaten them loads in the last decade  :laugh: 

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The Swiss Ramble figures for Brentford in 2016/17 appear to contradict your assertion, there. 

I wouldn't mind the bloke that owns them being here calling the shots for us; I'd imagine he'd rub his hands at 20k crowds and everything we have going for us here. It'll be interesting to see what he can achieve once they are in a new ground. I can't see Dean Smith being the answer, though.

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The Swiss Ramble figures for Brentford in 2016/17 appear to contradict your assertion, there. 

I wouldn't mind the bloke that owns them being here calling the shots for us; I'd imagine he'd rub his hands at 20k crowds and everything we have going for us here. It'll be interesting to see what he can achieve once they are in a new ground. I can't see Dean Smith being the answer, though.

Not sure what Swiss Ramble is but I was looking at their accounts. 

BCFC staff costs over last two full years £33.3m, BFC £32.2.

3% in it begeeen the two clubs over two years. 

Obviously includes all staff not just players but a fairly firm indication that as clubs we’re operating in roughly the same ballpark budget wise. 

I see the complaints about our central midfield players on this thread - and I admit that due to holiday my first match will be this Saturday - but other threads on here have been complimenting Pack’s and Brownhill’s performances v Forest and Bolton so I don’t get the complaints. That said, as I said elsewhere, I would bolster v Boro by including Smith and playing 4-3-3. 

Weren’t we 2-0 down because we need to be better defensively..?

Our nil was because, we dominated a game and never looked like we were ever going to score, we never created a chance not one, I repeat against a team that we were dominating and as is the way BCFC way in 2018 when that happens we almost always concede.

2 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

It's laughable to call from LJ's head already.

We've only played 3 games. Were yet to lose in the league.

I'd say if Diedhiou had played against Bolton & Plymouth we'd of won both games.

There's been a big overhaul this summer, it's going to take time.

The reaction to the first three games has been frankly utterly pathetic. If I was SL this sort of reaction would genuinely make me want to say ‘**** you all’ and call it a day. 

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Our nil was because, we dominated a game and never looked like we were ever going to score, we never created a chance not one, I repeat against a team that we were dominating and as is the way BCFC way in 2018 when that happens we almost always concede.

No credit afforded to Bolton then Es? The same Bolton that the week before beat a very good - on paper - WBA side?

12 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

we hit the crossbar and had one narrowly wide as well a good save at the start of the 2nd half before they went one up es

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Bad days how about bad half seasons.

I think everyone - even those who support Johnson - know and appreciate the frustration caused by the inconsistency in form. 

By way of counter argument - how about the truly exceptional half season? 

How about....when did we last finish as high in the English football league as we did under Lee Johnson last season?

As Brentford seem to be a popular comparison / argument if you want to judge the wider picture , many are overlooking transfer dealings (At the heart of both Clubs philosophies)

In the last three  years (Including the window just gone )

City have spent £36:45 million on players 

In the same period we have recouped £42.45 milion

A profit on transfer fees of £6m (The sales of £26.55 million this summer having a very large positive effect here)

The value of the current squad listed as £27 million

Brentford have spent £23.87 million on players

In the same period , whilst consistently maintaining league position they’ve recouped £57.30 million

profit on transfer fees of £33.43 million

The value of the current squad listed as £34.5 million

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The reaction to the first three games has been frankly utterly pathetic. If I was SL this sort of reaction would genuinely make me want to say ‘**** you all’ and call it a day. 

No credit afforded to Bolton then Es? The same Bolton that the week before beat a very good - on paper - WBA side?

I wouldn't know about the first statement, my problem is that I do not believe we are playing to our strengths and we do not create enough, if SL has an issue with that, that's his problem not mine.

Of course the 28 games of 2018 might be in his thoughts?

Absolutely not, Bolton were shocking, they looked like a pub team, something I said at the time, once we changed our style out of necessity, we murdered them and created chances and with that I refer to my first paragraph. Why did it take 2 goals to inject urgency and pace into our game?

Archived