IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Time To Go

Londoner

2 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Tomlin was what the fans wanted, LJ obviously wanted him as well and based on his previous half season with us everyone thought he’d be a star. It didn’t work out for both parties. It happens. 

We are 2 games in, unbeaten, most people would’ve taken a draw against Forest and all I ask of a team is to not lose the away games and we got a draw, admittedly Bolton didn’t play pretty stuff but they beat West Brom on the opening day so we could look at that as a point gained in games to come. We haven’t had the easiest first 2 games imho and 2 points is an acceptable return 

add to the fact tomlin's had a fantastic career after he left, if anything splits a dressing room its players like him, actively bullying younger squad members while blow smoke up the ass of senior players

48 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

add to the fact tomlin's had a fantastic career after he left, if anything splits a dressing room its players like him, actively bullying younger squad members while blow smoke up the ass of senior players

Can you blame LJ’s management of him? Or was it the player himself? 

He played fantastic for LJ the half season before so I’m going with the latter. 

14 hours ago, spudski said:

The reason Bryan, Flint and Reid have left was because they all grew under LJs management. They developed...we stood out in games, and those individuals shone in certain games. 

And part of Reids startling development?

He played up front due to injury. It was not planned. And when Mr Johnson returned to his original intent Reid's form worsened as did the teams (massively). 

It is not a shining example of deliberate planned progress.

23 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Can you blame LJ’s management of him? Or was it the player himself? 

He played fantastic for LJ the half season before so I’m going with the latter. 

Blame has to be aimed at the player

He's done the same thing at middlesborough, Cardiff, Peterborough

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

He played up front due to injury. It was not planned. And when Mr Johnson returned to his original intent Reid's form worsened as did the teams (massively). 

Rubbish

Johnson started pre-season with reid up front and said pre-season he intends to play him upfront because the stats show he is an effective forward, it was planned!

Reid's form worsened? what are you on about now, the only player to perform consistently high in that part of the season was Reid

7 hours ago, Rob k said:

Fairly sure that’s Mark Ashton’s responsibility not LJ’s

Not according to Lee himself "I'm Head of Talent ID"  MA negotiates the contract. Lee picks the players from the lists provided by analysts and scouts ......except of course Engval who I think was MA's idea after he was approached by agents who smelt blood (the Kodjia money!).

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed

Agreed - especially the singling out of players, I didn't like it when he singled out Taylor Moore after Ipswich away either.

What do you mean by this?

5 years

Football, and finances, have moved on so much from even the example of Wolves that comparison is very tenuous.

Agreed.

I know we've debated this before but there's lots you write that I agree with. I think LJ has some excellent attributes, I think he can spot potential in players well and develop that. I believe that Reid, Pack, Brownhill, O'Dowda and Diedhiou have all improved as a direct result of being coached by LJ.

I would love to know the truth about our transfers, the rumours about Ashton's involvement for example. I'd love to know what's really gone on there and whether the signings have all really been LJ's.

I think LJ shows signs of being a very good manager, the club like him of course because he's very professional, a great representative for the club and is prepared to work with the tools he's got here. That will buy him time. I also really like how he clearly buys into all areas of the club - especially the academy.

I love the innovation he's introduced, in principle anyway, but I question sometimes whether this (and his idolisation of Guardiola) means he can try to be too clever at times, something @Davefevs has suggested. Obviously we don't know what happens behind closed doors, but I can imagine that with footballers - sometimes less is more when it comes to motivating them and instructing them. I wonder if LJ gets a bit carried away and gives them information overload. Could be wild speculation of course.

I would really love him to be a success here, I think he's a genuinely decent person and cares for the club. I think there's no way he can survive another poor run though, and things have simply got to improve in the league - and fast.

Personally, I believe the plan in place will work eventually. In my opinion we will reach the Prem within the next 4/5 seasons. I can see what we're trying to do.. and when you factor in FFP@Mr Popodopolous it goes some way to explaining the way we spend money. This is very important and something that not everyone seems to consider/grasp. It also doesn't help that we are competing with teams with massively greater resources than us. The wages some of the clubs in this league will pay means it's very difficult for clubs like us to compete.

I think something we could do that is achievable and should help for a relatively small cost (in comparison to transfer fees) is to improve our scouting. How is it so many teams of our size or even smaller (Brentford, Preston, Peterborough.. even Angers!) seem able to unearth gems time after time?

Our scouting isn't all bad and has improved dramatically over the years. From what I hear, our infrastructure was years behind our competitors (even teams we view as smaller) and we've had to play catchup. I believe Tinnion is doing a very good job too. 

What I'd like us to do is explore what these teams that scout so well are doing and try and better it. There must be something we can learn from other teams in this respect. It would make LJ's job a lot easier because something has clearly gone wrong especially with foreign signings.

Good thoughtful post anyway, I have an impression from the way you write that you are a younger person, out of curiosity is that correct? 

Only part of this I respectfully disagree with Fogg. Is the point on scouting.

Cotts (as a manager, not a head coach) had the best scouting, very much more successful signings than the current regime, who have beneffitted with regards to the likes of Kodjia, Baker, Smith. We've sold most of said squad, which is the first time I can recall us being able to do so in a long while.

Would of we have even looked at Angers again with regards to Diedhiou without Cotts signing Kodjia? Or the French Ligue's in general?

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

Not according to Lee himself "I'm Head of Talent ID"  MA negotiates the contract. Lee picks the players from the lists provided by analysts and scouts ......except of course Engval who I think was MA's idea after he was approached by agents who smelt blood (the Kodjia money!).

personally I think it was MA and now its LJ

Prior to this season we signed mainly lower league players or foreign players with no championship experience 

This season we've signed mainly domestic players and players with championship experience 

There is a clear change in direction in recruitment and to me that says who ever was responsible before this season is no longer responsible 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Did he?  

My recollection is that BR played most, if not all of last season as a striker and that LJ had seen the quality of Reid’s finishing  in training matches and decided to play him up top.

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The main part of Cowsheds point should be this.

I disagree with the point on Reid's form I think hes one of the view who stayed fairly consistant and gave 100%.

LJ has prior for injuries pushing his selection choices from his main preference and then getting results. Barnsley in particular.

Once Diedhiou was fully fit in Feb. Reid played up front, a grand total of 2 times.

22 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Only part of this I respectfully disagree with Fogg. Is the point on scouting.

Cotts (as a manager, not a head coach) had the best scouting, very much more successful signings than the current regime, who have beneffitted with regards to the likes of Kodjia, Baker, Smith. We've sold most of said squad, which is the first time I can recall us being able to do so in a long while.

Would of we have even looked at Angers again with regards to Diedhiou without Cotts signing Kodjia? Or the French Ligue's in general?

It would've been interesting to see how we'd have got on had the board not sabotaged the Maguire/Grey deals. The squad was on an upward trajectory, momentum can take you pretty far.

8 hours ago, Fuber said:

I think the issue is LJ is a good lower league coach.

Coach being the key word.

He can get us playing fantastic football when morale is good, intricate, patient, decent to watch. I doubt I'll ever forget Man Utd and the legs against the Citizens.

I'm a critic of his. Not for his time as player, as many have tried to insulate with regards to my view (he was pretty key to our rise under GJ at times as a member of the squad then, I don't think I've said anything ever with regards to his footballing skill), but from when I review his managerial career in general.

But his man management here has been nothing short of highly questionable, and at its worst, pure lunacy.

Criticising players in the media, dropping Mags for one error as a sub, keeps Paterson in the squad for 12 games towards the end of last season in which he was utter dog, not giving players a few games to get up and running, panic selections when we're off form. Bailey Wright disappearing since he was booed off (before his injury).

Mad Mick (who I won't hide I've touted before), specifically avoids the blame game developing, same with Klopp, and other managers who are good at dealing with squads and getting application from their players.

It's a team game. 11 men. Togetherness, something we've seen evidenced with players instagram posts through the past few season (that core promotion group under Cotts) . And sorry - but some of LJs squad use and management has been absolute squalor. Thats without touching on my theories about players being rushed back from injuries such as O'Dowda And Pisano.

LJ is a 5 out of 10. He's a good coach and can, for periods and odd games, get us playing well - with almost an artistry we haven't seen for years at times.

But not with much if any consistency over a season. And this'll be his 3rd full season in charge.

If we finish below last season, now with what is basically 'his' squad, say 14th of lower, I'd say he has to go.

If we fail to have more than 4 points after Blackburn, that would be roughly 4 wins in 32 games.

That's a 12.5% win rate, including what were two feeble wins against Sheff Wednesday and Ipswich.

The former were crippled with injuries and (are still) in the mire financially. The latter had lost any kind of semblance of their once clockwork like work ethic where fan pressure and taken its toll on management and playing staff alike.

No Words. I like Lee. Fantastic Coach - offensively at the very least when Plan A works. But the current situation is very difficult, the silver lining is we're only 3 games in.

We're his 3rd club. Hes now been a manager for what? 7 years? He's learning, hopefully but consider this.

As a case study - McCarthy, at the age of 35, had Millwall finishing in the play offs of the old First Division in 1994 his second full season in charge. He's got every club hes managed at this level to the playoffs at minimum. Two of them promoted.

His Wolves side was much cheaper than other teams at this level. Same with Millwall, where he made errors, lessons learned that he then applied at Molineux.

The crux of my point is this. If Lee doesnt learn the lessons he should have by this stage with regards to errors made the last two seasons, as well as Barnsley, this time around... I doubt he will in his entire managerial career. At the very least, not in the timescale I think SL will want Prem football. With incremental improved I thing SL wants it in the next 3-4 years, as a personal theory of timescale).

Great post. I am neither a supporter nor a massive critic of LJ though the run since Xmas would’ve seen almost any other manager sacked.

I am a bigger fan of McCarthy though and have raised this many times on this forum and at the Gate. I firmly believe he would get City promoted, for all the reasons you list. 

He is still available - a bold decision by SL now could transform our season, it’s still August after all. Some fan pressure on saturday could help, a few chants for Big Mick for example.

47 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

8 minutes ago, Westcountry Robins said:

Great post. I am neither a supporter nor a massive critic of LJ though the run since Xmas would’ve seen almost any other manager sacked.

I am a bigger fan of McCarthy though and have raised this many times on this forum and at the Gate. I firmly believe he would get City promoted, for all the reasons you list. 

He is still available - a bold decision by SL now could transform our season, it’s still August after all. Some fan pressure on saturday could help, a few chants for Big Mick for example.

If Mick McCarthy ever became our manager I’d slit my wrists - ask Ipswich fans if they are glad he’s gone 

10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

If Mick McCarthy ever became our manager I’d slit my wrists - ask Ipswich fans if they are glad he’s gone 

I completely agree. 

The tractor boys had had far too much of MM’s negativity in the way he set up the team and his style of football. They’d wanted him gone for ages.

57 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Rubbish

Johnson started pre-season with reid up front and said pre-season he intends to play him upfront because the stats show he is an effective forward, it was planned!

Reid's form worsened? what are you on about now, the only player to perform consistently high in that part of the season was Reid

How many times have we got to go through this? The only reason LJ played Reid up front was because he literally had no other options in pre-season. Diedhiou, Djuric and Taylor were all injured. It was not pre-planned or a stroke of genius. 

11 minutes ago, Rob k said:

We'll see what happens at Ipswich, the new manager has basically brought in a load of L1 players and they lost to a very poor Rotherham last Saturday. Could be a season of struggle ahead and under Mick they were at least never in real danger of being relegated.

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

How many times have we got to go through this? The only reason LJ played Reid up front was because he literally had no other options in pre-season. Diedhiou, Djuric and Taylor were all injured. It was not pre-planned or a stroke of genius. 

We'll see what happens at Ipswich, the new manager has basically brought in a load of L1 players and they lost to a very poor Rotherham last Saturday. Could be a season of struggle ahead and under Mick they were at least never in real danger of being relegated.

Utter speculative nonsense to suit an agenda, it was planned in preseason and well documented. 

LJ on the switch:

It's funny because you're looking at players with attributes not as good as Bobby and you're talking about spending £5 or £6m on them. 

So I'm thinking hold on a minute, let's have an experiment. I spoke to Bobby Reid at the end of last season and told him of my intentions.

I love him, I'm desperate for him to play, but as a midfielder sometimes the competition is too strong and he doesn't have quite the attributes in a defensive sense that I'm after, or the physical prowess.

But as a striker he's got good movement, his technique's good, he can handle the ball [with his] back to goal, he never stops running - he's like a Duracell battery up there - at shutting down and pressing and he's just a pest to play against. But we see him every day and we see he can finish as well.

From the mouth of Bobby himself on the switch:

"I wasn't too sure about it to be honest, I didn't really see myself as an out and out striker. [The manager] put belief in me, he told me I can do it and I'll get goals in his team. Pre-season I showed that, I scored some goals, I wanted to take that into the league and I did on the first game of the season, and carried on ever since."

17 hours ago, BRISTOLCITY26 said:

Season ticket holder since i can remember my good man. Was down Tuesday for the Plymouth game. Do you go often?

Yes @BRISTOLCITY26 

I've lived on the outskirts of Manchester for the past 7 years and still hold a season ticket, and work depending go to as many games as I can when in the UK

Hope that is ok with you?

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

100% agree mate, however that also tells its own story 

19 hours ago, Londoner said:

He has also given the green light to duff signings. We all know if he does not want a player the club won't sign them.

The signings of Djuric Matthews Hegeler Taylor Engvall Giefer Kent Diony etc have been incredibly poor business and he is partly to blame for that 

Which makes LJ no different to any other manager at any other club.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Same was said when we appointed Cotts. ?

Just replace Ipswich with Forest.

Mick went stale at Ipswich after 5 years. Look at GJ for us.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Utter speculative nonsense to suit an agenda, it was planned in preseason and well documented. 

LJ on the switch:

It's funny because you're looking at players with attributes not as good as Bobby and you're talking about spending £5 or £6m on them. 

So I'm thinking hold on a minute, let's have an experiment. I spoke to Bobby Reid at the end of last season and told him of my intentions.

I love him, I'm desperate for him to play, but as a midfielder sometimes the competition is too strong and he doesn't have quite the attributes in a defensive sense that I'm after, or the physical prowess.

But as a striker he's got good movement, his technique's good, he can handle the ball [with his] back to goal, he never stops running - he's like a Duracell battery up there - at shutting down and pressing and he's just a pest to play against. But we see him every day and we see he can finish as well.

"I wasn't too sure about it to be honest, I didn't really see myself as an out and out striker. [The manager] put belief in me, he told me I can do it and I'll get goals in his team. Pre-season I showed that, I scored some goals, I wanted to take that into the league and I did on the first game of the season, and carried on ever since."

Interesting that LJ came to share the view of so many on here: that Bobby's not good enough as a midfielder. So, OTIB was right about that. Sometimes, OTIB knows what it'says talking about.

But none of us thought: play him up top then. That was inspired/brave/lucky (any or a bit of all three) by LJ. He deserves the plaudits on that. Bobby couldn't shoot from outside the box, powder-puff, terrible. I think I'm right in saying only one of his goals last season was from outside the box, and that one needed help from a big deflection off a defender to wrong-foot the Ipswich keeper. Getting Bobby in the box and feeding off scraps, rebounds, cute passes, crosses etc where his quick mind and feet often beat defenders to the ball was a masterstroke (whether by design or otherwise).

The problem for Johnson now is doing something with the £10m, and not frittering it away and overseeing a slide in league position. 

The thing that scares me the most is the clubs lack of foresight, and lack of 'sticking to a set plan' - so much chopping and changing....

Is it LJ, SL or MA?

We all pretty much knew Flint, Bryan and Reid were off. A new keeper was very much on the cards.

Mags and Djuric not so much, but O'Neil, Steele,the loanees etc were all planned.

We were lucky Pack stayed.There was interest.

So:

Why do we leave it so late to sign a keeper?

Why, at LB do we have a very inexperienced (but talented) player, supported by possibly the shortest LB in the entire league - and height in the defence most definitely IS  an issue, no matter how skillful you are.

Where do we see Hunt playing? Presumably at RB which is his go - back up though? Pisano was at CB, BW is injured - so if he is the permanent RB,which I assume he is - that leaves a bloke with a long-term injury (BW) and a bloke coming back from one (EP) who couldn't press up before he ripped his hammy to shreads - yet he is back up now?

BW seems to be needed in a lot of places when fit!    Baker......well he doesn't want to be here does he.

Why do we not have the 'bossing' mid - which everyone knows we need, and leave KS on the bench?

Why do we buy every winger in the universe and get rid of every tall forward except Fammy.

The same Fammy that can't play for 6 games (5 league) and let Djuric leave (we could have kept him for 6 weeks, de-registered him,and he could still have gone to Italy) or even Engvall......

Players leave for a myriad of reasons - in our case it would seem mostly to be crap signings being flogged off or sent back, and players who think BCFC will never go anywhere - but these were all known to be happening!

Can anyone, hand on heart, honestly say, that didn't know we needed a new:

Keeper

Dominant CM

Striker

Back-up/starting CB plus a RB and another small forward?

Out of that list of 6, we addressed 3. Webster, Hunt and AW.

I would hope a bloke on £300,000 a year (MA) and a 3 yr coach (LJ) would have noticed these glaring weaknesses - and acted.

As it stands, we still have a defence that leaks like a sieve, a midfield with the bite of guppy, and a forward line consisting of 2 blokes of Champ standard (Fam and AW). Baker looks like he wanted out and couldn't get a deal and is playing like a Zombie, Korey seems to be benched for no reason, and the Pato/O'Dowda/Brownhill/Elliason/Watkins/Walsh/Smith merry-go-round looks like it will drag on all year, as LJ still doesn't know his best midfield besides MP!

It's a shambles!

Am I asking too much for the manager, who has set his stall out on playing fast, pressing football from the back, to actually go out and recruit the players needed before deadline day?

The keeper was key as the extra sweeper. Not a bloke who has played 3 games in 3 years (or similar) - not his fault,seems a good pro, but hardly a Matt Ryan type.

Both CB's need to be 'cultured' - Webster looks good, and Hunt at RB seems to be a good fit. Baker and LB don't fill me with confidence. One due to attitude, the other inexperience.

How can we play from the back with Baker,Pisano or Wright? They couldn't do it before!

The only 2 we have who could have were Hegeler (seemingly permanently injured or out of favour) and Mags who we let go.

Personally a Kelly/Mags/Webster/Hunt  would be a very good option for 'playing out' with JH as a forward sweeper.....too late now.

Midfield is still exactly the same, slow and VERY light on hard tackles and chasing back.

Our wingers chop and change every match - they need to cut in and do the killer ball with a small front line, so we have loads of crosses.....

No doubt when Fam is back they will do the opposite!

Regardless - all our wingers need to track back more and defend harder.

It's hard to be a consistent winger when you are in and out of the side - Ryan Kent would not have helped any of our wingers self-confidence by being played every bloody game whilst being utter tripe!

The #10 position looks to be AW's - been a great signing - but we still have another 4 games without a genuine #9.

What do we do?

Taylor, Brownhill and Paterson, all mooted for that spot have a terrible scoring record - could we not have got a loanee in for #9? Fammy will miss a game or two like every other player - so we need a back-up!

It seems that despite knowing what we needed to play LJ's way - we didn't recruit them.

They may have been targeted and didn't want to come - fair enough, but with the amazing scouting staff and tech assist (see posts by a guy who knows them) then surely there must have been 2 or 3 choices for each position?

It just seems to beggar belief, that with all the time at LJ's disposal, we ended up with Maapeena, Watkins, 2 untried lower-league players and a tiny loanee to move the club forward after the inevitable departure of 3 guys who scored 32 goals between them.

Hunt, Webster and AW seem great, and will certainly do a good job.

DaSilva maybe. The other 4 are a step back from what we have.

I couldn't believe LJ when he said we were 'done' with transfers in.

He may well be getting the sharp end of the pointy stick, regarding budget. For me, LJ is too 'nice' for the situation I suspect he is in - which is why he probably is un-sackable for quite some time.He won't rock the boat.Or do a Darrell and moan on air.Or do anything SL doesn't tell him to. Just like MA.

We sure as hell aren't looking to get promoted anytime soon if the last 2 windows are any guide - just tread water. Rinse and repeat next year.

It's almost like it's just enough to keep us in the champ, pocket some ££ to make the books look better, and wait for some land to be re-zoned.

images.jpg.92c8cca3ae5be59056e3d61e0b0dceee.jpg

So, this is the first genuine LJ out thread, presented to us by Londoner the Fisher Troll; my question is how many more of these will we have to endure during the season?

Each single LJ out thread always has the exact same responses, it really is old ground and has been done to death, reincarnated, and then to death again... will these threads ever stop?

But, Londoner, really, to start this thread after 3 games is an absolute embarrassment. Still, it's rumbled on for 7 pages, which suggests this highly controversial topic will always be an OTIB best-seller!

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

LJ on the switch:

Are you able to prove that @Alessandro

If those aforementioned strikers hadn't been all injured in pre-season you actually think Reid would've started ahead of them? Laughable.

23 hours ago, Londoner said:

Lee Johnson you have done a great job in stabilising our championship status, in helping us become a standard club for this division and for helping youth develop and become first team regulars, for that you deserve massive credit.

However, the next step for us is to push and progress to the next level, play off candidates and a reputation for being s top championship team....unfortunately you do not know how to help us progress.

We are on another poor run, 3 wins in 20 odd games, you don't know your best formation, you don't know your best starting co, you don't know how to utilise players in their best positions, and ultimately you do not have the knowledge or nouse to create an identity leading to success.

The difference between you and others is obvious. Look at Warnock, real identity with success, look at Dean Smith, outstanding football on a shoe string budget and playoff contenders again.

Lee Johnson will never be accepted as Bristol City manager unless we reach the play offs. The toxic negativity from the Rotherham game shows that when things go wrong the fans will go for him.

Steve, let him Go, and do your best to get Dean Smith into this club.

Get off Lee Johnson's back.

Archived