IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Time To Go

Londoner

1 minute ago, B block said:

Our performances would suggest otherwise 

We did well against Forest and Bolton. We did alright today against Boro. All 3 of those teams are currently 7th or above.

The result and performance against QPR will tell us a lot imo. Lose and I'll be very concerned, not enough to put me in the Johnson out camp though. 

2 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

I honestly do wonder what some of our fans expectations are for us, we are a small fish in an ever increasing big pond, the money some of the clubs are throwing about in this league is incredible, that’s transfer fee’s and some downright crazy wages, we are nowhere near capable of competing with the big clubs in this league. Yes our form has been shite, but from what I have seen so far from us this season, we will be more than comfortable, get these injured players back and we’ll be fine.

My expectations are to see some improvement season on season not  to be in the Premiership. To see problem areas being addressed and resolved. And a team that at home can give any team in the league a tough test. For the money spent and the number of players signed the management don't seem able to do this.

1 minute ago, BCFC11 said:

I honestly do wonder what some of our fans expectations are for us, we are a small fish in an ever increasing big pond, the money some of the clubs are throwing about in this league is incredible, that’s transfer fee’s and some downright crazy wages, we are nowhere near capable of competing with the big clubs in this league. Yes our form has been shite, but from what I have seen so far from us this season, we will be more than comfortable, get these injured players back and we’ll be fine.

Absolutely agree. We have a totally unexpected defensive injury crisis and our best striker harshly suspended. The spine of the team from last season is gone and LJ has to rebuild again, and no doubt he would like to have kept all 3 players. 

What do people expect to happen ? Promotion was never going to be an option this season so anything above mid table would be a bonus.

I fully expect us to sign a striker and a defender before the window closes and to build through the season. 

Points can be picked up over the next 3 games and steady things up.

4 minutes ago, J D said:

We did well against Forest and Bolton. We did alright today against Boro. All 3 of those teams are currently 7th or above.

The result and performance against QPR will tell us a lot imo. Lose and I'll be very concerned, not enough to put me in the Johnson out camp though. 

Sorry

But

We didn’t do ‘well’ against either Forest or Bolton 

Or Plymouth

and we certainly didn’t do ‘alright’ today

Men against Boys

4 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

My expectations are to see some improvement season on season not  to be in the Premiership. To see problem areas being addressed and resolved. And a team that at home can give any team in the league a tough test. For the money spent and the number of players signed the management don't seem able to do this.

After 3 games? ??

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

You saw lots more of him Owl

Apologies if I missed it originally but your view on him ?

He's very much the modern fullback isn't he? Much better going forward than at defending. Think I read a post on here the other day that he isolated the winger who played in front of him in your previous game.

I'd take him back mainly because we're desperate for defenders more than anything, but think he's a decent player at this level.

8 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

True, but where was the creative midfield player we need. As for Marley Watkins playing as a centre forward, and the Matty Taylor coming on as sub!  That illustrated the shortage of forwards we have. Some people are basing their hopes on the return of  Diédhiou, but what happens if he and Weimann are subsequent injured. During the League 1 promotion season the regular front two were Wilbraham an Agard, but when both were injured JET and Smith took their place with great success. Should Weimann and Diédhiou be both injured we would have the prospect of perm any two from Watkins, Taylor and Eisa. Hardly a prospect to terrify Championship deferences. 

Then there is the quality of the opposition. Middlesbrough may be one of the better sides in the division but, if City want to prosper, then competing against the good teams is a minimum requirement. Even against Bolton, a poor team, City had a lot of possession but still only managed a draw. 

I'm not sure we need a creative midfield player. Scoring goals and creating chances hasn't been an issue for us: it was our defending I felt was our problem last year. I agree we have a shortage of proven Championship quality forwards in fairness. 

What do you mean by prosper? Challenging for promotion?

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We don’t sign anyone without LJs approval

According to LJ , MA and SL

Fair enough, then JJT has a valid point

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sorry

But

We didn’t do ‘well’ against either Forest or Bolton 

Or Plymouth

and we certainly didn’t do ‘alright’ today

Men against Boys

In fairness, I didn't go to the Bolton game but I thought all accounts said we were alright. I might have that wrong though. Forest  I felt we did well. They've spent goodness knows what in the summer and we were able to hold them to a draw, which was a good result. Today we hit the post twice and Weimann missed a sitter. We were playing well up until Boro got their second. We had more possession, shots and shots on target. 

2 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

He's very much the modern fullback isn't he? Much better going forward than at defending. Think I read a post on here the other day that he isolated the winger who played in front of him in your previous game.

I'd take him back mainly because we're desperate for defenders more than anything, but think he's a decent player at this level.

I visit Owlstalk regularly and most of your fellow Owls rated him pretty positively  when he signed for us and. They’d  have see plenty of him throughout last season and are far more qualified to pass comment  on him.

Hes played in three league games ffs.....but some of our posters already fee qualified to assess his ability.....jeez.......:disapointed2se:

2 minutes ago, J D said:

In fairness, I didn't go to the Bolton game but I thought all accounts said we were alright. I might have that wrong though. Forest  I felt we did well. They've spent goodness knows what in the summer and we were able to hold them to a draw, which was a good result. Today we hit the post twice and Weimann missed a sitter. We were playing well up until Boro got their second. We had more possession, shots and shots on target. 

Fair play for explaining your views

Personally I though Boro won today,  at a canter, without getting out of second gear

At 2-0 I was relieved they were happy to sit off as I feared a five or six at that point

Just now, Robbored said:

I visit Owlstalk regularly and most of your fellow Owls rated him pretty positively  when he signed for us and. They’d  have see plenty of him throughout last season and are far more qualified to pass comment  on him.

Hes played in three league games ffs.....but some of our posters already fee qualified to assess his ability.....jeez.......:disapointed2se:

Not the evening for your stupid comments

If you bother reading

People are giving initial opinions on Hunt on initial impressions

(Spookily , if you bothered to read anything - why I asked  for Owls views as he’s seen plenty of him)

You had five years to assess Flint and had him as a ‘kick it , Head it merchant’ (Truly laughable)

Dont act the buffoon tonight

Or Maybe your ignorance is genuine

48 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

ADEN FLINT 

“I just felt it was time to progress my career. I’m 29 and, with no disrespect to Bristol City,

I felt it was a better chance and opportunity to get promoted to the Premier League and play top-flight football.”

“When someone like Tony Pulis says ‘I want you to come and play centre-half for me’ and shows that desire to sign you, that’s also a big factor. He’s vastly experienced – he knows what he wants and he gets it.”

THE BIGGEST DIG YET AGAINST THE CURRENT MANAGER 

Not really.

Middlesbrough have a better chance of reaching the PL than us, it's not exactly an earth-shattering revelation, is it?

I’ve seen this on Twitter:

Can't blame Lee all the time when he is not given the resources. Seems the board just want to make a profit.”

I’m sorry but how much has he spent?!?! A ridiculous amount. 

If he’s sacked this season it’ll be at a point where we’re too deep in the rough to save ourselves.

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

( Not picking on you in particular Neo)

But this has been churned out time and time again recently and 

I might be on my own but it’s driving me bonkers

How can last years (overall) performance and LJs management , use of resources ,recruitment and sales,tactics etc etc last season (And the season before) not be relevant as part of an ongoing assessment of his abilities , flaws , ability to learn or not

:comando:

?

If by some miracle we win our next 4 games and I get asked in work what my thoughts are - bearing in mind that would put us firmly in the top half.

Am I allowed to say to work colleagues who will ask that I’m happy as that is 1 defeat in 7 and 14 points OR do I have to say I’m not happy cos that is only 8 wins in the last 32 games?

If I say the latter I will get some very peculiar looks to be fair.

Obviously the short comings of LJs time here is relevant but we have made big changes and have what many said only a few weeks ago was a squad with more depth.

If things suddenly go right on the pitch and we start seeing results - then has LJ learnt? The answer could be yes but to state here and now this is not the case is clearly wrong when no time has been given to at least let this very different team time to integrate.

Learning from previous mistakes might mean the manager deciding to completely change a team and maybe let a few fans favourites go and start buying more experienced players instead of youth - bold and ambitious to say the least. That sort of large change is not likely to produce instant success.

The question is - what lessons has LJ learnt and is the current squad his solution? If so then previous seasons are wholly irrelevant and we need to judge the next few weeks.

17 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Not really.

Middlesbrough have a better chance of reaching the PL than us, it's not exactly an earth-shattering revelation, is it?

When someone like Tony Pulis says ‘I want you to come and play centre-half for me’ and shows that desire to sign you, that’s also a big factor. He’s vastly experienced – he knows what he wants and he gets it.”

It’s soundbites but

That’s the bits that ring a couple of bells for me Northern

1 hour ago, J D said:

Weimann and Hunt turned up. Maenpaa too.

Important to remember that Boro are one of the better sides in this division. 

Comments like that really grate with me. 10 months ago we could have beaten any team in the championship and a few in the premier league and we would never have had to use the excuse that the team we were playing were one of the better sides in our division (at our peak we were on a par with Wolves) But now we do say that and that is hard to take and also proves that we have regressed in that period. We shouldnt be expecting to lose against any team who shares the division with us.  Over the last 8 months we have gone from one of the best teams in the championship to one if the worst and to be frank it could have been avoided.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

If by some miracle we win our next 4 games and I get asked in work what my thoughts are - bearing in mind that would put us firmly in the top half.

Am I allowed to say to work colleagues who will ask that I’m happy as that is 1 defeat in 7 and 14 points OR do I have to say I’m not happy cos that is only 8 wins in the last 32 games?

That’s a completely different question though - the relevant question from your work colleagues would be your views on LJ as manager

If I say the latter I will get some very peculiar looks to be fair.

Obviously the short comings of LJs time here is relevant but we have made big changes and have what many said only a few weeks ago was a squad with more depth.

If things suddenly go right on the pitch and we start seeing results - then has LJ learnt? The answer could be yes but to state here and now this is not the case is clearly wrong when no time has been given to at least let this very different team time to integrate.

Learning from previous mistakes might mean the manager deciding to completely change a team and maybe let a few fans favourites go and start buying more experienced players instead of youth - bold and ambitious to say the least. That sort of large change is not likely to produce instant success.

The question is - what lessons has LJ learnt and is the current squad his solution? If so then previous seasons are wholly irrelevant and we need to judge the next few weeks.

As I said and ongoing continuous assessment 

If for example he makes tactical or selection errors in early games this season they aren’t particularly  Significant unless you think these are the same errors repeated for last 3 seasons

In theory on the other hand if he does certain good things that alone don’t seem significant early this season what if they actually demonstrate he’s learnt from previous lessons 

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not the evening for your stupid comments

If you bother reading

People are giving initial opinions on Hunt on initial impressions

(Spookily , if you bothered to read anything - why I asked  for Owls views as he’s seen plenty of him)

You had five years to assess Flint and had him as a ‘kick it , Head it merchant’ (Truly laughable)

Dont act the buffoon tonight

Or Maybe your ignorance is genuine

Bob......you tend to pass comment of lots players ability when you or any of us have barely seen any of them play over a number of games. 

I guess you consider yourself an expert on players ‘intial’  performances.......

In my considerable experience of seeing numerous players come and go over many years I realise that some players start poorly but gradually improve as they adapt to their new environment over a number of games.

The opposite applies to. They start impressively but over a number of games their game loses its intial enthusiasm to impress.

Thats why I often comment on here that it’s premature to evaluate a player until they’ve played 12 - 15 games but you seem to seem to think that your powers of assessing a player are superior to everyone else’s.

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Lame excuse, we beat Boro last season and we’ve only lost twice to them in the last eight games we’ve played against them...

Doesn't change my opinion that they're better than us on paper.

If they aren't, why did Flint join them then?

20 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Our current form is relegation form

And I include last season's form. You cannot simply make it disappear 

I agree. Doesn't answer my question though.

13 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Comments like that really grate with me. 10 months ago we could have beaten any team in the championship and a few in the premier league and we would never have had to use the excuse that the team we were playing were one of the better sides in our division (at our peak we were on a par with Wolves) But now we do say that and that is hard to take and also proves that we have regressed in that period. We shouldnt be expecting to lose against any team who shares the division with us.  Over the last 8 months we have gone from one of the best teams in the championship to one if the worst and to be frank it could have been avoided.

"We shouldn't be expecting to lose against any team who shares the division with us"

Not even teams who have spent millions more than us? And have much better players?

Archived