IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Time To Go

Londoner

Just now, CityCiderEd said:

For a while mate but missing the ST in S24. Popped home for the Man City game last season and treated the lad and myself to a corporate hospitality package.With flights and tickets was a fair old whack but what a great night,only the result ruined it.

Where in Corfu Ed. ?

Lovely  Island

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

So, your using the past to determine that which hasnt happened yet as your marker.

LJ has a track record for not fixing issues. So yes. I am. 

You've also written 3 players off who did a lot for the team or are actually starting to deliver.

"Eliasson, O'Neill, Kent, Diony, Woodrow, Djuric, Steele, Walsh". Which 3? I count two still with us, one - has the potential to possibly deliver for us in the form of Niclas, who is the same age as Brownhill it should be noted. In that time, he's cost us £1.8m as well as wages in the interim, so that's more than likely now around £2.2m.

The point is, our transfer record is an utter shambles bar Brownhill and Diedhiou, and at a stretch O'Dowda, Baker, Eliasson, as of this moment in time. We've lost £3m on LJ's signings already.

Then the big thing that everyone seems to ignore is that at season 5 at this level I think.. Ill stand corrected, our current manager hasnt actually got us relegated, which for us is actually an achievement given our history. If we make this season, he's actually one of our most successful managers, ever for doing that. 

If Cotts had access to the Kitty that LJ has had - most managers would easily have kept us in this division on paper. Most of the teams below us at the moment, although only three games are suffering from critical lack of investment and transfer embargoes. Most of the groundwork when he took over had been done by Burt and Pemberton who have both since left.

Yup we have issues, yip we arent perfect. However we seem to have lost sight of ourselves high on the promise of the Premiershit (havent watched it in years, really dont care) rather than the riches in front of us.

I doubt many were expecting promotion this season. The issue is, today, Middlesborough didn't play well - heck, they didn't even get out of first gear most of the time, and sat back after the second goal, probably playing conservatively in lieu of the midweek fixtures. We looked shot of almost all confidence, were timid, half-hearted, and completely ineffectual in the first half. It's not good only waking up two goals down against a Pulis team, and its not the first time we've gone 2-0 down this season before waking up.

Certainly the most expensive squad we've ever had, remaining competative in a league where we arent a big fish and able to dominate games, but not quite get things right, yet.

We have a mid-table budget for this league, we have teams crippled by FFP below us, and teams with much worse investment than us above us. The point is, considering our resources and circumstance, we should be mid-table, we're no longer "smaller fish".

It will click, we will win games and we will see where we end up. 

We've looked worse across the far games we've played so far. The game against QPR is going to be decisive if we lose.

Lot easier and restful supporting that way than hate and resentment at a team who've never given what they promised.

We now have the resources to. That's the key difference. We've blown so much money, and only recouped it due to Cotts, and some luck. Before it was understandable to be relegated and not sustainable whatsoever, if we want to avoid destroying revenue streams we can't get relegated.

We've sold our top scorer and not adequately replaced him. We've sold our star left back and not adequately replaced him. We've sold our brick of a centre-back - who proved today alongside an academy player, and a 100k Left-back, and decent Right-back, he can keep a clean sheet - and not replaced him. We got rid of our cup keeper (who I can't believe didn't start more league games) and not adequately replaced him. We got rid of our Big Beautiful Bosnian bastard and not replaced him either.

Honestly, if it wasn't for our January window, I think this would be the worst transfer window since Cotts' first in the back in the champ. And even then he was unlucky. All his loan signings, unlike LJ's so far, have proven they can cut it at this level including the likes of Robinson, Baker (until the second half of last season), Moore, the only exception being Cox - who never recovered after being crocked the previous season. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They weren’t better than us for a large part of last season, especially when we beat them...players leave for bigger salaries at our level....I bumped into an ex City striker on holiday a few years ago, had a chat with him, he said his sole ambition in football was to be transferred as often as possible so he get as many signing on fees as possible.....

Got me thinking now, how long ago did he play for us?

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They weren’t better than us for a large part of last season, especially when we beat them...players leave for bigger salaries at our level....I bumped into an ex City striker on holiday a few years ago, had a chat with him, he said his sole ambition in football was to be transferred as often as possible so he get as many signing on fees as possible.....

Got me thinking now, how long ago did he play for us?

7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Anywhere but bottom three.  SL thinks lowest position should be 10th; what planet is he living on?

Didn't go to the game today as I'm away but do people realise that we are 3 games into a 46 game season.Sl is the best thing that has ever to our club ,anybody who thinks any different must be under the age of 30 years of age ,or completely naive.

12 minutes ago, big p said:

Didn't go to the game today as I'm away but do people realise that we are 3 games into a 46 game season.Sl is the best thing that has ever to our club ,anybody who thinks any different must be under the age of 30 years of age ,or completely naive.

well we didn't play that badly, but after signing god knows how many players there is no improvement that I can detect and we have lost players (good ones) because they obviously feel the same, don't know what else I can say other than If I was Steve Lansdown would probably be a little disappointed.

30 minutes ago, pillred said:

well we didn't play that badly, but after signing god knows how many players there is no improvement that I can detect and we have lost players (good ones) because they obviously feel the same, don't know what else I can say other than If I was Steve Lansdown would probably be a little disappointed.

I'm sure you're right SL will probably won't be happy as well as LJ and the fans ,it's a natural reaction.As if we won everyone would be happy .But we are 3 games into a 46 game season.But the bigger picture is 2 of our players were running their contracts down and moved on to premiership clubs and the third made it obviously clear he didn't want to be here..So the club raised as much money they could from a very difficult situation..But why people question SL is beyond me and I suspect many Bristol City supporters .SL is by far the best thing that has ever happened to Bristol City and in my opinion anyone who questions that is completely naive.

10 minutes ago, big p said:

I'm sure you're right SL will probably won't be happy as well as LJ and the fans ,it's a natural reaction.As if we won everyone would be happy .But we are 3 games into a 46 game season.But the bigger picture is 2 of our players were running their contracts down and moved on to premiership clubs and the third made it obviously clear he didn't want to be here..So the club raised as much money they could from a very difficult situation..But why people question SL is beyond me and I suspect many Bristol City supporters .SL is by far the best thing that has ever happened to Bristol City and in my opinion anyone who questions that is completely naive.

ask yourself why two players ran their contracts down and the third did not want to be here, they can see the club are happy where we are, whether Steve Lansdown is I don't know, and that is not a criticism of him, but we will continue to lose our best players not always to better clubs until we show more ambition.

3 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Biggest f'ing yawn at the majority of this thread. Get real and get a life to the majority on here and just back the team FFS! F'ing tossers!

And yes, I've had a few watching an Oasis tribute band and they were f'ing good

Congratulations on your first alcoholic  drink 

27 minutes ago, One BCFC said:

Thoughts havent changed since Tuesday. At this moment in time we are facing a relegation battle without question.

Yep, I think that's a given for most of us realists. The question is what have the likes of Alex Neil at PNE and Smith at Brentford done on much lower budgets that the boy wonder hasn't done here?  The fact that we seem to be reliant of transfers to cover losses is of major concern to me but we're obviously doing something wrong as we've spent more than PNE / Brentford who will not be struggling to stay up while we are going to plus we've massively increased our turnover, rather Bristol sport has. If this is the blueprint, we're fooked as our turnover can't go up any more as a club, promotion apart (which is far less likely than promotion). Johnson Jnr blaming budgets doesn't help. 

He's pretty much unsackable regardless but at some point, SL / MA should be asking serious questions as relegation is a potential disaster! 

Very, very worried! :)

23 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Biggest f'ing yawn at the majority of this thread. Get real and get a life to the majority on here and just back the team FFS! F'ing tossers!

Do your hands hurt from all the happy clapping? Do your eyes hurt from burying your head in the sand? 

??

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Yep, I think that's a given for most of us realists. The question is what have the likes of Alex Neil at PNE and Smith at Brentford done on much lower budgets that the boy wonder hasn't done here?  The fact that we seem to be reliant of transfers to cover losses is of major concern to me but we're obviously doing something wrong as we've spent more than PNE / Brentford who will not be struggling to stay up while we are going to plus we've massively increased our turnover, rather Bristol sport has. If this is the blueprint, we're fooked as our turnover can't go up any more as a club, promotion apart (which is far less likely than promotion). Johnson Jnr blaming budgets doesn't help. 

He's pretty much unsackable regardless but at some point, SL / MA should be asking serious questions as relegation is a potential disaster! 

Very, very worried! :)

You sum it up very well. Sick of the happy clappers already myself, feel drained already. We are the realists btw and not negative. What I have seen since January is nothing short of a poor Championship side who have run out of ideas, being out battled, out fought and out managed. Something is wrong at the whole club, you'd think with a rebuilt stadium, with all the positives of that we'd finally decide to really push on and was finally over being the L1 and Championship yo yo club.

Nothing has changed on the pitch, the club's a soft touch lacking in real leadership everywhere and REAL ambition.

This isn't a reactionary post from the opening 4 matches this season. This is the general feeling I have felt since that god awful transfer window in January. Sadly, nothing will change anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, big p said:

Just for the record I am 72 and been a City fan since opening game of 1950/51 season, plus I am certainly not naive.  

You just don't agree with me and others who think the same as I do. 

OK you have bought into the pr spin of spending money, which has in well over a decade failed to achieve the stated goal of top flight football, or building a new stadium which isn't ours, or the dream that BS will turn us into Barcelona, which some of us think is more of a nightmare, or, has put the long term security of City at risk (who would ever buy BS and how would we extricate City from such a scenario when the Lansdowns eventually get fed up, as they will), or that the goal is to make City self financing, which many of us believe is impossible and mere delusion on SL's part.

59 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Just for the record I am 72 and been a City fan since opening game of 1950/51 season, plus I am certainly not naive.  

You just don't agree with me and others who think the same as I do. 

OK you have bought into the pr spin of spending money, which has in well over a decade failed to achieve the stated goal of top flight football, or building a new stadium which isn't ours, or the dream that BS will turn us into Barcelona, which some of us think is more of a nightmare, or, has put the long term security of City at risk (who would ever buy BS and how would we extricate City from such a scenario when the Lansdowns eventually get fed up, as they will), or that the goal is to make City self financing, which many of us believe is impossible and mere delusion on SL's part.

Already have. Money Back and profit time.....

Exit strategy been in the making for the last 4 yrs at least.

Just waiting for the council to approve some land re-zoning......

6 hours ago, big p said:

So see how we are after 10games then ? then up to xmas then "fine tune" ?

Closely followed by sell off any decent players and start again.

You forget Maggers, Engvall, and Milan let go for next to nothing after been given little to no game time, what happened to a squad with depth and cover, for injuries/suspensions and whats wrong with spending money made from departing players (at least) on suitable replacements.

We may have raised as much as we could, we certainly HAVE NOT invested as much as we could in replacements. We will pay this season for the past 2 very poor transfer windows.

On 18/08/2018 at 17:32, 054123 said:

I don’t actually think Lee Johnson needs to go.

What needs to happen is people need to realise the model here is not related to promotion to the premier. It’s a rigged game and you either join in or you don’t go up.

i admire what Lansdown is trying to achieve, but it isn’t premier league football.

Make peace with that and the world is a better place.

At the moment it ain't promotion that many are worrying about .

:shocking:

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

4 wins from 25 league games in 2018 tells the story. There are not many, if any, other managers that would still be in the job with that kind of record.

He does have this habit of going on truly awful runs, at least twice with us and a horrendous run at Barnsley

Sometimes it's just great to dust off an old thread and have a jolly good debate.

I'll start. Does anyone possibly agree with me that starting a thread about sacking the Manager after 3 games in August, having sold the best players and bought in players to a new team, club and system is somewhat premature??

Just now, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Sometimes it's just great to dust off an old thread and have a jolly good debate.

I'll start. Does anyone possibly agree with me that starting a thread about sacking the Manager after 3 games in August, having sold the best players and bought in players to a new team, club and system is somewhat premature??

Yes, 99% of people already agreed. The thread then turned into a pretty interesting debate. Yawn, get a life and stop stirring.

This forum is so bi-polar.

If we win, LJ should stay forever, everyone who wants him out is wrong, Kelly is worth £20m+, We were right to sell all the players.

If we lose, LJ should leave, everyone who wants him in is wrong, why are we playing youth we need experience, why did we sell everyone and replace them with average players.

Can't we all just find a middle point and be happy?

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He went too early on Dean Smith. He's not had a good week (Dean Smith. Well, and Londoner...)

Archived