IGNORED

For some it's just a job

The turtle

I have previously posted on another thread that I used to know a professional footballer who referred to 'going to work'.  Until then it hadn't occurred to me that someone fortunate enough to play professional football would regard it as work. 

54 minutes ago, Redland said:

I have previously posted on another thread that I used to know a professional footballer who referred to 'going to work'.  Until then it hadn't occurred to me that someone fortunate enough to play professional football would regard it as work. 

I guess it's like anything.

For years I used to be the envy of friends getting free tickets to festivals, gigs and film premieres. But when you have to write about them, often late at night directly afterwards, contact PRs, arrange interviews, endure corporate tedium, it becomes "work" and although not exactly unenjoyable, you don't get the carefree feeling that you'd have if you were attending in your leisure time. 

Didn't our good friend Mr Warnock state that every manager has to come to terms with the fact that his squad will have one or two players who are there purely for their own gain. I dare say they will keep their heads down and do just enough of what is required to stay in the money, but ultimately will not be too bothered about the 'passion' for the game.

I suspect that in the 'real world', the percentage of people who have a passion for their jobs is the inverse. I can't remember who said: "We're all whores, but some are more honest about it."

19 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I guess it's like anything.

For years I used to be the envy of friends getting free tickets to festivals, gigs and film premieres. But when you have to write about them, often late at night directly afterwards, contact PRs, arrange interviews, endure corporate tedium, it becomes "work" and although not exactly unenjoyable, you don't get the carefree feeling that you'd have if you were attending in your leisure time. 

My old man the same - for ages he would have to attend corporate events, 3 course lunches etc, nice hotels blah blah blah

He jacked it all in and I can barley get him to attend another horse racing event even if I was paying!!

works work - the problem is a lot of people only see the money and not the endless hours travelling and being away from your kids at Xmas etc 

I'd say pretty much every player eventually see's it as just a job.

Of course they were all passionate about football in their youth.

Once you sign professional contracts and you are living it 24/7, it becomes the norm like any other job.

Some players will know that they are in a privileged position...and people who work in jobs they hate will say how lucky they are.

Personally I love football as a game to watch...but all the politics in the game and certain elements of fan base I detest. I certainly wouldn't want a footballers life.

I've experienced the same in a Professional sport. Something that was once a passion...turned into a profession and just a job. Peers would say what a wonderful life I led, but had no idea that it had just as many pitfalls and 'politics' as any other job...and it wore you down and you lose your passion for it.

Pretty much every professional sportsman I've met doesn't like talking about their 'job'.

Funny how many pro golfers would loved to have been footballers and Golfers wanting to be footballers.

It's a crazy scenario when you think about it...as fans you are wanting your team and the players to bust a gut for you...as it's your passion and release from the real world.

Yet for the players and Club workers...it's their job and they need other passions away from their 'job'.

How many people bust their gut and are really passionate about their job and perform 100% everyday with passion and enthusiasm...whilst thousand critique your performance?

For me it's a bit refreshing to know this. It shows they're human and don't live in an entirely different world to us. 

Sure, loads of us dreamed of being in their position but we aren't and we've got what we've got, they may feel the same and would much prefer a life out of the spotlight but just happen to be better at this than other regular jobs... Plus as we all know, money talks.

Lee Harkin, a fifteen year old N.Irish player, got a fair amount of press coverage recently for scoring a wonder goal, as well as two goals against a Man Utd youth team. Quite amazingly, in the interview, linked below, he says he doesn't follow football! Strange position to be in, a fifteen year old whose getting a load of attention in a sport he's not particularly interested in. 

I've recently been working with a bloke who used to play for Dagenham, Luton, Chesterfield and Peterborough and has now finished his playing career at 33 after 17 yrs in the game. While chatting I asked him which team he followed and his reply shocked me tbh.

I don't support a football team he said and I only got into football because I was told I was good at it but it's something I've never realy got to excited about.

Personally I'd have given anything to have done what he did for 17 yrs.

A lot of people comment that when they go from treating something as a job compared to a hobby it can change dramatically. Footballers are rewarded well after a certain level as we know, but competition amongst peers and the pressure that it brings the higher you progress is enormous. 

Im not saying people like Alan Sugar would swop all his wealth to go back to his market stall type struggles, but he does often talk about those times fondly, as do other successful people. The time before they were famous etc. Maybe some footballers quite like the idea of a kickabout in a park pitch on a Sunday morning and then off to the pub.

15 minutes ago, RedM said:

A lot of people comment that when they go from treating something as a job compared to a hobby it can change dramatically. Footballers are rewarded well after a certain level as we know, but competition amongst peers and the pressure that it brings the higher you progress is enormous. 

Im not saying people like Alan Sugar would swop all his wealth to go back to his market stall type struggles, but he does often talk about those times fondly, as do other successful people. The time before they were famous etc. Maybe some footballers quite like the idea of a kickabout in a park pitch on a Sunday morning and then off to the pub.

Tommy Doc for example...

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

Tommy Doc for example...

I’ve heard that he is a painter and decorator now, or something in that line as he’s often seen in paint covered overall type clothes by a family member. 

Archived