IGNORED

Wilfred Zaha - New deal

Bar BS3

When you consider that Fulham spent over 100 million and Wolves over 60 million on new players in a bid to stay up and the cost of promotion is incredible. Cardiff only spent 30 million. 

Having said that, even the team finishing bottom of the Prem gets around 80 million in tv / prize money.

21 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Seeing him at the gate on numerous occasions I have never seen a player single handingly destroy a side like he has.

Stan Collymore..?!

Ability aside, it’s more the point that Palace can pay this kind of wage..! 

20 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

When you consider that Fulham spent over 100 million and Wolves over 60 million on new players in a bid to stay up and the cost of promotion is incredible. Cardiff only spent 30 million. 

Having said that, even the team finishing bottom of the Prem gets around 80 million in tv / prize money.

Very true, although Palace have just committed over a quarter of that cushion to one player over the next 4 years..! 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Stan Collymore..?!

Ability aside, it’s more the point that Palace can pay this kind of wage..! 

The side that's been near bankruptcy more times than Wael's watched Babestation.

£125k per week is £6.5m per annum which equates to £32.5m over the contracts 5 year term. Just let that sink in ...

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

But that was a short term commitment. 

Still outrageous, but not a threat to their existence when relegated..! 

2 year contract with option for a third, don't think there's a big wage reduction clause

50 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Seeing him at the gate on numerous occasions I have never seen a player single handingly destroy a side like he has.

He’s a great player I reckon - another though who I think will look back and wonder did I really make the most of my talent 

21 minutes ago, Rob k said:

He’s a great player I reckon - another though who I think will look back and wonder did I really make the most of my talent 

There's still plenty of time for him. The Man Utd move didn't work out but he's been brilliant since moving back to Palace. He's a London boy and if I remember wanted to be closer to home, but if Tottenham, Chelsea or Arsenal offer the money then he can easily play Champions League football.

A real shame he opted for Ivory Coast instead of England.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Still there but not sure its a big relegation reduction. 

Plus I suppose they were also £13million up on the deal, having sold him for £25m and signed him back for £13m, which covers a large chunk of such massive wage commitment. 

11 minutes ago, RedJim said:

I also remember him destroying Ryan McGivern at Selhurst a few years' back. It was so embarrassing I almost felt sorry for McGivern... the useless sack of shyte.

My 8 year old could destroy mcgivern one of the worst players I have seen in a city shirt

18 minutes ago, David Brent said:

But they didn’t get relegated, they finished 11th. The lowest they’ve finished in the last 5 seasons is 13th.

Yes I’m aware of that. I was pointing out that as and when teams do come down they get eye watering sums of money to bail them out from this sort of lunacy. 

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

His name escapes me at the moment but the palace  winger on loan at Swansea in the 80s. He tore John Bailey to shreds that day. Scored a couple and could have had more. Think Swansea won 1-3

27 minutes ago, swanker said:

His name escapes me at the moment but the palace  winger on loan at Swansea in the 80s. He tore John Bailey to shreds that day. Scored a couple and could have had more. Think Swansea won 1-3

John salako sorry if I spelt it wrong 

tore city apart that day

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

If you add in guaranteed parachute payments, the money is 2-3 times that.

One thing I hadn't spotted is that for the last couple of seasons the Prem now no longer pays out 3 years of parachute payments if you go straight back down.

I've posted before on here on the subject of parachute payments being designed to slowly engineer a closed shop, that exclusion above on one-season teams, seems to me to go even further - it is an acknowledgement that more people than they want are making it to the Prem, and the "day trippers" don't get as much. 

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

If you add in guaranteed parachute payments, the money is 2-3 times that.

One thing I hadn't spotted is that for the last couple of seasons the Prem now no longer pays out 3 years of parachute payments if you go straight back down.

I've posted before on here on the subject of parachute payments being designed to slowly engineer a closed shop, that exclusion above on one-season teams, seems to me to go even further - it is an acknowledgement that more people than they want are making it to the Prem, and the "day trippers" don't get as much. 

There remains the cancel your Sports subscriptions option, but that will never happen. For all the moaning, Sky et. al. dominate in the minds of the public.

Archived