IGNORED

Gary Probert - Senior Reds today

Robbored

The academy manager. Gave a good inside into the structure of the academy. Talked about importance of getting youngsters out on loan as the type of younger academy football is all possession based and the lads learn only how to play that way. There are no leagues either.

In the world of men’s competitive league football that’s a useful core skills to have but they learn very quickly that ‘real’ football isnt always played that way and quipped that Boro on Saturday definitely won’t play like that. So they send the guys out to gain knowledge and experience of  league football.

When young lads first join the academy they and the parents are told with blunt honesty that only around 10% of academy players actually get a professional contract regardless of which club they’re at. Then if the lad doesn’t make it it doesn’t come as a great let down. It can also act as a motivator.

I was surprised to hear that there are 22 full time employees at the academy which is funded by three sources, the PL, EFL and the club itself.

Gary Probert spoke so well that he was only asked around 3 or 4 questions as he was so thorough. 

The more you learn about the club, the more you come to appreciate just how big the structure is. 

This part of the football club has been remarkably improved in the last few years. I'm the past, I have seen individuals or very occasionally, a couple or three in the youth City system that looked as if they would make it to first team level. 

Now we have almost a whole team of our best Under 23 squad out on loan at League and Conference level. One might think that this would leave the cupboard bare, but don't give that any credence. I strongly recommend all our supporters to try their best to get to at a couple of U23 matches. I know you will enjoy the quality on view. 

50 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The academy manager. Gave a good inside into the structure of the academy. Talked about importance of getting youngsters out on loan as the type of younger academy football is all possession based and the lads learn only how to play that way. There are no leagues either.

In the world of men’s competitive league football that’s a useful core skills to have but they learn very quickly that ‘real’ football isnt always played that way and quipped that Boro on Saturday definitely won’t play like that. So they send the guys out to gain knowledge and experience of  league football.

When young lads first join the academy they and the parents are told with blunt honesty that only around 10% of academy players actually get a professional contract regardless of which club they’re at. Then if the lad doesn’t make it it doesn’t come as a great let down. It can also act as a motivator.

I was surprised to hear that there are 22 full time employees at the academy which is funded by three sources, the PL, EFL and the club itself.

Gary Probert spoke so well that he was only asked around 3 or 4 questions as he was so thorough. 

The more you learn about the club, the more you come to appreciate just how big the structure is. 

Pssst Brian Tinnion's been telling the kids its 3%. 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Pssst Brian Tinnion's been telling the kids its 3%. 

BT looks after the 16 -  23 age group iirc 

I know he spends a lot of time traveling up and down the country liaisoning with the different clubs and coaches.

19 hours ago, Robbored said:

I manage a junior team in one of the local leagues and I am always amazed at the commitment required from parents if their child is snapped up by a league club academy.  I know someone whose son (still of Primary School age) is with a Premiership club academy, and he is having to drive him to training on three workday evenings, and also take him to matches at the weekend.  He has even had to accompany him to other countries within Europe for matches.  Other boys have come to us from the Bristol City academy simply because their parents couldn't make the commitment required to get their child to training, and City have been pretty scathing when a child has been pulled out.  And all this in the knowledge that fewer than 10% of the academy will get anywhere near the professional game.   

Archived