IGNORED

Could our next head coach come from within?

EnderMB

I think that everyone was surprised at how England did at the World Cup. Rather than going for a big name to replace Big Sam, the FA brought an internal manager in and promoted them to the senior team.

What he might have lacked in tactical nous, he certainly made up in knowledge of the players. He had a favoured team, mainly of players he coaches for years beforehand, and that link-up proved to be a great success.

Now, we all know that Lansdown loves to copy what's popular at the moment. When Swansea were promoted, we needed to "do it like Swansea". When Huddersfield went up, we needed to do it like they did. The clubs philosophy on the outside is to try and get promotion on the cheap, but the fans know a bit more than that. There is a clear philosophy to play a certain way, to bring players up from the academy, and to provide them with the opportunity to play elsewhere at a profit should the Premier League come calling - fairly standard really.

The England approach is fairly typical of clubs. Many of the biggest managers in world football got their break from spending time with the youth team, and then going onto manage them, so it's surprising that we haven't heard Lansdown talk more about progression for coaches. There's clearly a level of nepotism in getting LJ back after playing here, alongside McAllister, and with the new training ground looking to be a reality sooner rather than later this could be a great time to build up our coaching credentials. Bring in ex-pros, put them in a top-class training facility to learn and build up our academy, and when Lansdown decides to give LJ a shove out of the door, put someone like McAllister in his place. Having two young players in the Premier League is a good sign for our academy, but what would be an even better sign is having a coach from our academy make it to this level and above.

Is this an overlooked part of our club philosophy, or do you think that it could be an externsion of what we're trying to do with the new training facilities?

• Admin

What amazed me is that SL pulled out all the stops to get Pat Lam into the hot seat for the rugby but doesn't employ anyone of a similar ilk for the football club

The promoting from within is basically how we took on LJ

I think it works with the likes of Tins / JMc around the club but for me we aren't at a good enough level of football to bring anyone through the ranks to the top job

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

What amazed me is that SL pulled out all the stops to get Pat Lam into the hot seat for the rugby but doesn't employ anyone of a similar ilk for the football club

I think it works with the likes of Tins / JMc around the club but for me we aren't at a good enough level of football to bring anyone through the ranks to the top job

no it isn't,

he wasn't at the club, he was under contract at Barnsley, it was nether a cheap option (he had 18 months left on his barnsley contract so we had to pay compensation) nore was it a promotion from within (he wasn't at the club)

two recent manager to be promoted from with in were Tinnion and Millen both didn't work out, I very much doubt we'll do it again 

• Admin
46 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

no it isn't,

he wasn't at the club, he was under contract at Barnsley, it was nether a cheap option (he had 18 months left on his barnsley contract so we had to pay compensation) nore was it a promotion from within (he wasn't at the club)

two recent manager to be promoted from with in were Tinnion and Millen both didn't work out, I very much doubt we'll do it again 

He was being primed for our club long before he took over, just because he wasn't physically in BS3 doesn't mean the wheels weren't in motion a long time before

1 hour ago, phantom said:

It’s relatively cheap, don’t forget, for rugby. Plus Bristol had to get promotion back into the Prem after the débâcle of the relegation season. 

I know that it is proven at some clubs that it is better to promote from within, with Liverpool in the years after Shankly for instance, but it is becoming much rarer now. The learning curve for an ex player who has had a year or so coaching the reserves/under 23's, is far too great now. A Prem or Championship club cannot risk relegation if it takes more than a week or so for the newbie to learn everything.

The apprenticeship can only be done from within if there is a strong, successful first team manager/coach in place for enough years for the learning to be sufficient.

Should LJ be dismissed this season, I can see Macca as the replacement. If LJ goes, I suspect Holden will move back to Manchester.

We have wasted far too much time and money on managers who are either too inexperienced or simply not good enough. We are at a crossroads now, with a very good stadium providing bigger revenues, a collection of Academy boys that for me, are some of the best youngsters I have ever seen at City and that includes the Alan Dicks boys who took us up to the First.

And those managers referred to in the last paragraph, were also responsible for some dire and costly purchases of players. A lot of good things have happened at City in the last few years but we still seem to be too keen to shoot ourselves in the foot too often and even amateurish in some of our decision making. Last January is the proof of that. Whether this summer will prove the same is yet to be seen, but the signs are there that we are in for another troubled season where we are looking up instead of down. 

If/when LJ moves on I’d expect either Macca or Holden to step up in a similar fashion to the old Liverpool “boot room” that was so successful during thier hey days.

The benefits are clear - much less disruption to the club when the manager changes. Continuity with the clubs ethos is essential 

wouldn't it be better for LJ to be coach and get an experienced manager in?

3 minutes ago, Negan said:

I’d hope we’d go for Theirry henry. One of my footballing idols growing up and it would be great when we play Derby on sky. Thierry Henry’s Bristol City vs Frank Lampards Derby County. 

I'd love that :wub:

I don’t think that promoting a player to manager works, as they are “one of the lads” and the change simply doesn’t work. 

JMac has gone away and returned in a managerial capacity, so it could work with him. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the plan. All teams (ages/levels) are try trying to adopt a club style of play, so continuity with that would make sense. 

Mid not saying it will (or won’t) be a success, but I’m sure it’s the plan and does make sense. 

6 minutes ago, Negan said:

I’d hope we’d go for Theirry henry. One of my footballing idols growing up and it would be great when we play Derby on sky. Thierry Henry’s Bristol City vs Frank Lampards Derby County. 

With SL's record of choosing managers, he'll probably go for Lenny Henry.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If/when LJ moves on I’d expect either Macca or Holden to step up in a similar fashion to the old Liverpool “boot room” that was so successful during thier hey days.

The benefits are clear - much less disruption to the club when the manager changes. Continuity with the clubs ethos is essential 

Sometimes continuity isn’t a good idea, particularly if a manager has just been sacked for terrible results and his coaches had the same ideas.

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t think that promoting a player to manager works, as they are “one of the lads” and the change simply doesn’t work. 

Slightly different scenario, when I got a promotion to being a Team Leader many years ago, many of my co-workers found it really hard, not only professionally but also felt uneasy speaking openly infront of me outside of work.

It took a long time to gain a new kind of trust

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Ok then - want to explain why or are you just that sort of annoying tool?

It was the ‘giving up on the club completely’. Bit over the top?

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t particularly want McAllister (not yet anyway) but just saying I believe that’s what the club will do.

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Slightly different scenario, when I got a promotion to being a Team Leader many years ago, many of my co-workers found it really hard, not only professionally but also felt uneasy speaking openly infront of me outside of work.

It took a long time to gain a new kind of trust

Exactly. 

For what it’s worth, I think JMac has the makings of & attributes needed to be a very good manager. 

To avoid the same old, same old, if/when LJ leaves the plan is going to have to change as well, or are cracks already appearing in the plan?; with older players coming in and the younger ones making the bench at best.

Will any new manager make any difference anyway if too tight constraints are put on them, or will they just be happy with a nice little earner...the end.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mark Ashton step unto the breach and promote himself.

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Exactly. 

For what it’s worth, I think JMac has the makings of & attributes needed to be a very good manager. 

Based on what though

Unremarkable playing career, never won anything - or been on the staff of anyone who has - at any level of football coaching.

The only reason LJ appointed JM or DH was that they were both inexperienced and unlikely to spot what a fraud he is......unlike an experienced assistant.

When SL finally comes to his senses I hope he clears all 3 out and employs a proper coaching team with proven records. The money LJ has wasted on fees and wages. For players who contributed FA would have paid the wages of a top coach 3 times over.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

You realise that would mean employing someone like Klopp! Can’t see us getting him to be honest 

Archived