IGNORED

Could our next head coach come from within?

EnderMB

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

Within, as in from OTIB? I'd like to see @Londoner take the role with @Robbored as the assistant. I'd also get @Rudolf Hucker as the new physio and @bristolcitysweden as waterboy (or whatever he likes to drink). 

I'd take this role very seriously, especially with the WFC, working diligently using advanced massage techniques to reduce stiffness. How much will I have to pay?

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

If/when LJ moves on I’d expect either Macca or Holden to step up in a similar fashion to the old Liverpool “boot room” that was so successful during thier hey days.

The benefits are clear - much less disruption to the club when the manager changes. Continuity with the clubs ethos is essential 

As has been proven by LJ’s failures we need an experienced manager to succeed in the championship. Why, after the present debacle (and more of the same unfortunately before he’s sacked) would SL be so stupid to appoint a head coach/ manager with even less managerial experience the LJ. Madness if we want to progress. 

17 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If we go on another prolonged bad run (10+) games again,

I think you will find that we’re on a bad run carried over from last January. How long do you want it to go on for?

20 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Based on what though

Unremarkable playing career, never won anything - or been on the staff of anyone who has - at any level of football coaching.

The only reason LJ appointed JM or DH was that they were both inexperienced and unlikely to spot what a fraud he is......unlike an experienced assistant.

When SL finally comes to his senses I hope he clears all 3 out and employs a proper coaching team with proven records. The money LJ has wasted on fees and wages. For players who contributed FA would have paid the wages of a top coach 3 times over.

Agree the sooner the better.

19 hours ago, Coppello said:

Within, as in from OTIB? I'd like to see @Londoner take the role with @Robbored as the assistant. I'd also get @Rudolf Hucker as the new physio and @bristolcitysweden as waterboy (or whatever he likes to drink). 

bristolcitysweden for press officer, surely?

20 hours ago, David Brent said:

Sometimes continuity isn’t a good idea, particularly if a manager has just been sacked for terrible results and his coaches had the same ideas.

Very good point.

A while ago I posted about Craig Shakespeare at Leicester.  Seemed the obvious choice when Ranieri was sacked, but it probably papered over the cracks.  He didn’t last long really.

17 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

I think you will find that we’re on a bad run carried over from last January. How long do you want it to go on for?

FFS, it’s a clean slate this season. 

We all know the second half of last season wasn’t good enough. 

We’ve got a different team & different players now. Let’s judge this season on this season..! 

If you are going to harp on about last season, then you can’t conveniently ignore all the good parts of it, just to stack the stats in your favour. 

Overall, last season was good. First half amazing, second half poor. Overall, good. 

We are 2 league games into a new season, with new challenges. The first 2 games have been ok, with clear room for improvement. 

25 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

As has been proven by LJ’s failures we need an experienced manager to succeed in the championship. Why, after the present debacle (and more of the same unfortunately before he’s sacked) would SL be so stupid to appoint a head coach/ manager with even less managerial experience the LJ. Madness if we want to progress. 

You miss the point.

SL wants a head coach who supports and implements his strategy/philosophy. Previous managers had played lip service to it but once in post failed to employ it - Cotterill was the last one.

LJ has endured a rocky ride whilst adopting SLs strategy but imv that’s down to the strategy itself rather than LJs ability as a head coach.

18 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

He’s established us as a competitive championship side, so yes, I think he’s done ok. 

Of course, there are concerns about the good and bad extremes in the runs of results under him. That needs addressing, absolutely. 

He’s having to re-build the team, again, having lost 3 key first team players and a couple of other regular squad players. I think our summer business has largely countered those needs, although I do think we are probably at least 1 x GK, 1 x CB & 1 x CF short of where we need to be to improve on last season. 

If we go on another prolonged bad run (10+) games again, then I will concede that he’ll have had enough chances to show he’s unable to address such situations quickly enough, and agree that he’s not the man to take us beyond where he has got us to at this point. 

I do believe that it won’t be for the want of trying and find the personal abuse and agenda against him (from some) disgusting and uncalled for. 

I’d love him to succeed here, it’s a new season, (largely) new team and a clean slate again. Let’s see how things go between now and October and then review what kind of position we are in. 

How do you just stop a slide when we absolutley all know we don’t have as good players as probably 15 other sides in this division? 

LJ has been appointed to work in a way the owner wants, it’s no secret, why should he lose his job by doing his job?

8 minutes ago, Rob k said:

How do you just stop a slide when we absolutley all know we don’t have as good players as probably 15 other sides in this division? 

LJ has been appointed to work in a way the owner wants, it’s no secret, why should he lose his job by doing his job?

It’s a fair question. If the answer was easy, then a lot of teams wouldn’t get relegated. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

You miss the point.

SL wants a head coach who supports and implements his strategy/philosophy. Previous managers had played lip service to it but once in post failed to employ it - Cotterill was the last one.

LJ has endured a rocky ride whilst adopting SLs strategy but imv that’s down to the strategy itself rather than LJs ability as a head coach.

When a strategy is unsuccessful (and for the axe to fall on LJ it would have failed) the last thing you should do is continue the failed approach, that’s common sense. If we want much chance of improvement we would have to adopt a change in approach and employ a manager with a successful track record. A bit like SL’s approach with the rugby. He got shot of the inexperienced coach (Tainton?) and replaced him with a proven coach Lam. Unsurprisingly promotion followed. 

Archived