IGNORED

Club website content is very poor (Merged)

bcfcnick

No doubt it's not coincidental as Adam Baker did an excellent job but the current website content is now dismal at best.

Last season's reasonably in-depth interviews of 10 minutes or more have been replaced with highly edited quotes from LJ and one selected player lasting about 90 seconds with supermarket style advertising music in the background. Last seasons interviews might not have contained the most incisive questions but they were massively better than the current thin marketing dross. 

Last season there would also either be audio or sometimes video of the entire pre-match press conference.  This season there is a brief written summary at best.  It's all a bit superficial, highly spun and more in line with the work a London glossy marketing company rather than a football club with a bit of heart and soul that is deeply rooted in the community.  

Instead of watering down the content and substance, the marketing team would be better leaving the content to someone with a feel for football and the Club. Currently I get the impression they think all fans have the attention span of a gold fish and represent a 60 second marketing opportunity.   If those responsible for the site and promoting the Club want to keep themselves busy then they should focus on and rectify issues like  Birmingham City heading the front page of Google and dominating 90% of the front page when anyone searches for BCFC.  

Wholeheartedly agree, I wondered if they were paving the way for a paid system for interview based content like BCFC Player but they've just butchered it this season.

Wonder if they think by having less LJ content they think fans will have less ammunition against him. I'm pro-LJ but I suspect this could have played into their thinking.

It’s absolutely dismal this season, always enjoyed listening to full pre match press conference and the 5/6 minute interviews with a different player each week.  

Really dislike the new 60 second gimmick filled dirge and tweeted the club a few days back and had no response unsuprisingly, maybe @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO can shed some light on the new, diluted content or at least ask the question of the media department? 

I’ve tweeted the club a few times and had a response from Amanda Crawley after the first tweet saying he’d look into it.  No response since.

I loved the 20 minute audio ones.  Such a lot of info in there.

The 90 Second one this week was appalling, just soundbites and repetitive at that.

I chatted to @AdamB last Xmas about the content and praised him for the efforts.  I accept 90% of fans are happy with a brief summary, but the 10% of us that like the lengthy stuff are now missing out big-time.

Gregor McGregor has been hosting the interviews, last week we got the whole 20 minutes, this week we got 5 minutes.

Is this the same club that ensures the head coach or his assistant speaks to the BBC after every match?

But not every match....... 20man “hopefully we will get to speak to someone before we end this broadcast”. Quickly followed by “ tune into BBC Bristol news in the morning to hear post match reaction”

its beginning to look like our club are not so interested in the fans, just look back through the threads to see how many discussions our liaison officer has reacted to and see how may of those threads have concluded with the club actually changing anything!

3 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

No doubt it's not coincidental as Adam Baker did an excellent job but the current website content is now dismal at best.

Last season's reasonably in-depth interviews of 10 minutes or more have been replaced with highly edited quotes from LJ and one selected player lasting about 90 seconds with supermarket style advertising music in the background. Last seasons interviews might not have contained the most incisive questions but they were massively better than the current thin marketing dross. 

Last season there would also either be audio or sometimes video of the entire pre-match press conference.  This season there is a brief written summary at best.  It's all a bit superficial, highly spun and more in line with the work a London glossy marketing company rather than a football club with a bit of heart and soul that is deeply rooted in the community.  

Instead of watering down the content and substance, the marketing team would be better leaving the content to someone with a feel for football and the Club. Currently I get the impression they think all fans have the attention span of a gold fish and represent a 60 second marketing opportunity.   If those responsible for the site and promoting the Club want to keep themselves busy then they should focus on and rectify issues like  Birmingham City heading the front page of Google and dominating 90% of the front page when anyone searches for BCFC.  

I have noticed the quality is awful and what's the crack with the word clouds in the videos very amateur.

3 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Wholeheartedly agree, I wondered if they were paving the way for a paid system for interview based content like BCFC Player but they've just butchered it this season.

Wonder if they think by having less LJ content they think fans will have less ammunition against him. I'm pro-LJ but I suspect this could have played into their thinking.

We have a winner! Paid content coming to your device soon!

Last season I pointed out to Adam that the picture of Rob Newman on the Hall of Fame page of the website, is not in fact Rob Newman.

It is David Smith of the 1989-90 promotion team. He said that he got the picture off the internet and that it is correct - Rob Newman.

Well it isn't so perhaps somebody from the club will now sort it out because it's an insult to Rob Newman to leave it as it is.

So second rate aren't we.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

5 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Can't be on the basis Macca and Holden do as many interviews as LJ does.

• SC&T Board Members
32 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Last season I pointed out to Adam that the picture of Rob Newman on the Hall of Fame page of the website, is not in fact Rob Newman.

It is David Smith of the 1989-90 promotion team. He said that he got the picture off the internet and that it is correct - Rob Newman.

Well it isn't so perhaps somebody from the club will now sort it out because it's an insult to Rob Newman to leave it as it is.

So second rate aren't we.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

I agree. That photo is Dave Smith, not Rob Newman.

7 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

I'm in the business, and I have made a similar point to the club.

More of the nationwide, né, worldwide dumbing down. You see it everywhere. Routinely depressing and we have to forgive the younger generation for they know not how utterly crap at writing they are; the fault lies at Tony Blairs door if you care to read his first manifesto; " university for all, more a levels, we will be the best" ... Supremely easy....lower the standards and reduce the pass percentage" one of the greatest hoodwink policies of any government and the Labour party of Bevan and Attlee would be turning in their graves. Blair of course owes us apologies on a swathe of poor policy decisions; one of which should have sent him to prison. 

Inexorable dumbing down, could have catastrophic consequences in the future. 

Why should anyone be surprised. 

This is classic Bristol Sport, and decidedly not City.

This is how it is and how it will be until the whole BS experiment collapses, with non football people everywhere

Most depressing

But hold on to the fact that the fans will be here long after BS is a blip in our history

27 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Why should anyone be surprised. 

This is classic Bristol Sport, and decidedly not City.

This is how it is and how it will be until the whole BS experiment collapses, with non football people everywhere

Most depressing

But hold on to the fact that the fans will be here long after BS is a blip in our history

Hmm not sure I remember the website content being better before Bristol Sport came along. I think it's actually got much better. 

And I think the complaint in this thread is that it's got worse since last season. Last season BS still oversaw it. So I'm not sure your argument quite stacks up. 

There are plenty of angles from which to attack the idea of Bristol Sport  if you'd like, but you're stretching it with this one. 

The irony of not showing the longer press conferences is that it doesn’t help Johnson.

LJ is definitely at his best when speaking if he’s able to be conversational and explain things. I find there’s often a swell of positive feeling towards him after he’s been on Sound of the City with Twentyman for example and is able to give proper answers.

It’s often his soundbite answers that come back to bite him and that people remember - the infamous ‘Europe in 5 years’ thing which people often misquote.

If the club want to help Johnson, they should do more content that helps people understand his rationale, for example longer press conferences and those mic’d up training sessions.

I often wander over and look at other teams web sites see what’s occurring. I note that many are pay per view and got to be a subscription member.  Sadly another revenue stream as they call it.   We are heading that way.  The Middlesboro one example.

You can do  just as well by looking at Bristol Post web site

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The irony of not showing the longer press conferences is that it doesn’t help Johnson.

LJ is definitely at his best when speaking if he’s able to be conversational and explain things. I find there’s often a swell of positive feeling towards him after he’s been on Sound of the City with Twentyman for example and is able to give proper answers.

It’s often his soundbite answers that come back to bite him and that people remember - the infamous ‘Europe in 5 years’ thing which people often misquote.

If the club want to help Johnson, they should do more content that helps people understand his rationale, for example longer press conferences and those mic’d up training sessions.

Well said PF, that is exactly my point.

The 90 Second soundbites sound cheesy, you are right , LJ gives good (if not too honest) responses in the full interview.

11 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

You can do  just as well by looking at Bristol Post web site

You mean Bristol Live with McGregor?... If you are i assume you are being sarcastic or I suppose literal because both are equally attrocious. No, i think you are being sarcastic because the post has no peers for being a heap of manure. Ads, pop ups, old videos, utter garbage except the odd video update from Gregor...he tries.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well said PF, that is exactly my point.

The 90 Second soundbites sound cheesy, you are right , LJ gives good (if not too honest) responses in the full interview.

Appalling you have to even ask. 

Just now, havanatopia said:

You mean Bristol Live with McGregor?... If you are i assume you are being sarcastic or I suppose literal because both are equally attrocious. No, i think you are being sarcastic because the post has no peers for being a heap of manure. Ads, pop ups, old videos, utter garbage except the odd video update from Gregor...he tries.

Will be interesting to see if a Comms team provide a response on one of their main platforms.

13 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

The Post has been putting up a video of the full press conferences which is better than anything coming out of the club

13 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

Couldn't agree more...felt like I was sat in the boardroom being presented with some poorly put together video, aimed at people with the attention span of a nat.

The Club imo, are misunderstanding the difference between running a business and running a business that is dependent on fans and not just customers.

There is a huge difference...

For the first time in many years i'm actually feeling a bit 'meh' about this season...nothing to do with the playing side...but it just doesn't feel like a Club anymore to me, and it's things like that this, that add to that feeling. It all adds up over time.

Others have said similar to me as well this year...it will be interesting to see how much revenue the club generate this year, as I have a feeling it will be a lot less than they are predicting to make.

Archived